Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Cross left that one behind them. Had they took that goal chance before halftime it would have been game over.

The antics of the Castlebar players once they took the lead with a few minutes to go was disgusting to watch. Literally as soon as the ball went over the bar they were falling to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The antics of the Castlebar players once they took the lead with a few minutes to go was disgusting to watch. Literally as soon as the ball went over the bar they were falling to the ground.

Thats the norm these days. If Clonmel did more of that they'd be in an All Ireland Final as well.

Better cynical then sitting at home on the 17th of March.

Cross would have done the same in their position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Not a nice way to lose for Cross but it's nothing they wouldn't have done themselves (okay maybe not as blatant, some of the acting at the end by Castlebar was cringeworthy.)

They had their chances in the first half and instead of being 7 pts to the good, they were only 3 ahead. Turning point, Castlebar came out a new team and completely stifled Cross.

The other semi I thought was poor, I feel sorry for the Clonmel lads as ultimately a refereeing decision combined with their own naivety saw a poor Ballyboden team make the final. I think Castlebar will finally get their AI and hopefully acts as a catalyst for the Mayo county team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

armaghlad wrote: »
    Not a nice way to lose for Cross but it's nothing they wouldn't have done themselves (okay maybe not as blatant, some of the acting at the end by Castlebar was cringeworthy.)

They had their chances in the first half and instead of being 7 pts to the good, they were only 3 ahead. Turning point, Castlebar came out a new team and completely stifled Cross.

The other semi I thought was poor, I feel sorry for the Clonmel lads as ultimately a refereeing decision combined with their own naivety saw a poor Ballyboden team make the final. I think Castlebar will finally get their AI and hopefully acts as a catalyst for the Mayo county team.

A catalyst for what?
    To get to another AI final and lose?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    A catalyst for what?
    To get to another AI final and lose?
    Win. Personally can't see it but I'd like to. Anyone other than Kerry or Dublin at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Thats the norm these days. If Clonmel did more of that they'd be in an All Ireland Final as well.

Better cynical then sitting at home on the 17th of March.

Cross would have done the same in their position.

100% correct.

I'd have to say that I was surprised that Rico Kelly and David McKenna were introduced so late to an area where Rangers were getting hammered. It's not normally like the Rangers' line to be hesitant when it comes to making the necessary switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bcb1

100% correct.

I'd have to say that I was surprised that Rico Kelly and David McKenna were introduced so late to an area where Rangers were getting hammered. It's not normally like the Rangers' line to be hesitant when it comes to making the necessary switches.

They were both carrying injuries but I'm still surprised that the lads didn't risk them, if only to physically disrupt Moran for a few kickouts. Anyway, we are all experts after the even. The simple fact is that we should have won the game and only ave ourselves to blame. The first 20 minutes was as good as we have played all year and we should have been further ahead. People are rightly pointing to the missed goal chance at the end of the half but the one Jamie missed early in the half was more crucial I feel. I honestly feel if we had scored that goal then the game was done. And normally you would have put your house on him to do so.

Castlebar are a few years advanced of this current squad in terms of development. To get to an AI semi this year was a huge achievement and augurs well and over the 60 minutes there was nothing between the two teams. I would say that we actually had a bettered balanced football team but they were a bit more game hardy than us. We will lose players over the coming few seasons but there are 8-10 17,18,19 year olds who are coming in over that period who will improve the squad and the first 15. This hurts and there is only one thing a hurt like this will do....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

In fairness, he has a slight point. I doubt Mayo will take any encouragement from a Castlebar win. Didnt Ballina win it about 10 years ago and Mayo still got hammered in all Ireland finals? Same with Loughgiel in hurling, they won the AI club championship, people were saying it was a new dawn for hurling there, they now believe they can compete with the best etc. yet within 2/3 years Antrim have been relegated in both the league and championship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

In fairness, he has a slight point. I doubt Mayo will take any encouragement from a Castlebar win. Didnt Ballina win it about 10 years ago and Mayo still got hammered in all Ireland finals? Same with Loughgiel in hurling, they won the AI club championship, people were saying it was a new dawn for hurling there, they now believe they can compete with the best etc. yet within 2/3 years Antrim have been relegated in both the league and championship.

I can assure you that the last person you need remind about Mayo's appalling final record in Croker is a Mayoman. However, Castlebar are the 3rd Mayo team in an AI club final in the last 15 years and will be the 3rd to win it if they can do what they failed to do 2 years ago. Comparing Mayo to Antrim is a bit disingenuous to be fair.

Rawhead wrote: »
    Ah the Rossie, the parasite of Connacht football. The ultimate begrudger with zero achievements of his own to shout about so he thrives on others misfortune, safe in the knowledge he will never be in a position to have his teams metal tested in September. Their hammering by Sligo last year remains for many Connacht people one of the greatest games in the Nestor Cups history. The best part of it is, after last weekends round 2 league win over Kerry, they're again tilting at September football.
    It's a sad reflection on a group of people when they fear their neighbours winning more than they fear their own team losing...
    attacking the poster is highly commendable.

I'm just wondering.
    A club winning an AI has little or no bearing on senior county success.
    If it did, Armagh would be weighed down with AI senior titles.

Look at Mayo's U21 and minor record over the past 6 years. There is nothing really coming through to go and push the Mayo seniors onto AI glory.
    Most people in Roscommon wouldn't begrudge Mayo an AI.

this thread is about club football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

attacking the poster is highly commendable.

I'm just wondering.
    A club winning an AI has little or no bearing on senior county success.
    If it did, Armagh would be weighed down with AI senior titles.

Look at Mayo's U21 and minor record over the past 6 years. There is nothing really coming through to go and push the Mayo seniors onto AI glory.
    Most people in Roscommon wouldn't begrudge Mayo an AI.

this thread is about club football.

Mayo won the AI minor in 2013, and were an unlucky refereeing decision (against us) away from reaching the minor final in 2012.

That's better underage success than most counties in the same time frame.

Mayo won the AI minor in 2013, and were an unlucky refereeing decision (against us) away from reaching the minor final in 2012.

That's better underage success than most counties in the same time frame.

how are their U21s doing recently?

my point is, club football has very, very little relevance to county football as most club footballers who stand out at that level have
    1 either been tried out already
    2 are not good enough for county

my point is, club football has very, very little relevance to county football as most club footballers who stand out at that level have

This years U21 team has the majority of the 2013 AI winning minor team, 4 of whom were on the DCU team today that won the Freshers cup. Castlebar has 7 senior panel members on the team with 3 definite starters. There is plenty coming through and while a club winning the final doesn't have a direct relevance on the counties success, 3 different clubs winning the AI in a 15 year period would indicate a very strong and healthy club scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They have won the same number of All Ireland's in recent years as Roscommon.

Any benefit to the senior county team from the clubs teams success if obviously un-measurable.

However a win for Castlebar would give the likes of Moran and Cuniffe their second All Ireland medals and give a first taste of success to the likes of Durkan, Douglas etc, all of which can be of no harm.

And it would give fans who have seen far more final losses than wins something to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Ah the Rossie, the parasite of Connacht football. The ultimate begrudger with zero achievements of his own to shout about so he thrives on others misfortune, safe in the knowledge he will never be in a position to have his teams metal tested in September. Their hammering by Sligo last year remains for many Connacht people one of the greatest games in the Nestor Cups history. The best part of it is, after last weekends round 2 league win over Kerry, they're again tilting at September football.
    It's a sad reflection on a group of people when they fear their neighbours winning more than they fear their own team losing...

Even allowing for the tongue-in-cheek provocation, that is an incredibly bitter, twisted, f*cked up post.

What you (and unfortunately an increasing amount of the younger Mayo 'fans') obviously aren't aware of is that the vast majority of Roscommon GAA people would like to see Mayo win an All-Ireland, especially the current team, who are far more honest (in terms of effort) than previous Mayo teams. I'm still fuming over the refereeing debacle in the 2014 semi-final against Kerry. That was just disgusting.

Both my parents and virtually all my relations are from Galway and believe you me, that's a county that has waaaaaay more people hoping Mayo keep missing Sam than Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Will it be tickets on the door and open seating for the finals on Thursday, or am I better off buying tickets in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ritchi wrote:
    Will it be tickets on the door and open seating for the finals on Thursday, or am I better off buying tickets in advance?

Buy on the day should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I posted this in the Dublin thread but perhaps here would be better? Sorry for the cross post mods - I've two free tickets to the final as a season ticket holder. Free to the first PM Gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

They have won the same number of All Ireland's in recent years as Roscommon.

Any benefit to the senior county team from the clubs teams success if obviously un-measurable.

However a win for Castlebar would give the likes of Moran and Cuniffe their second All Ireland medals and give a first taste of success to the likes of Durkan, Douglas etc, all of which can be of no harm.

And it would give fans who have seen far more final losses than wins something to enjoy.

Mayo have produced some very poor U21 teams recently. Anyone in Mayo with a grain of honestly can tell the stories of mis-management and favouritism. All is far from right at underage for Mayo. But you do have your strange aloofness to maintain Todd so I doubt you'd admit to that.

The grade is more about producing players than winning AIs, however nice winning one is. Being consistently competitive and consistently producing decent players for the senior team has helped us immensely. Mayo may soon find out what the reverse of that equation is like.

U21 is far more beneficial to a senior team than any club's success, which in most ways is nothing but a hindrance to a senior county team.

Syferus wrote: »
    Mayo have produced some very poor U21 teams recently. Anyone in Mayo with a grain of honestly can tell the stories of mis-management and favouritism. All is far from right at underage for Mayo. But you do have your strange aloofness to maintain Todd so I doubt you'd admit to that.

The grade is more about producing players than winning AIs, however nice winning one is. Being consistently competitive and consistently producing decent players for the senior team has helped us immensely. Mayo may soon find out what the reverse of that equation is like.

U21 is far more beneficial to a senior team than any club's success, which in most ways is nothing but a hindrance to a senior county team.

2013 All Ireland Minor Champions must not count. The reason you put so much effort into underage is because you had no choice, you were playing Div 4 football and up was the only way you could go. I agree that Mayo has not given underage the focus it deserves, but when you have a strong senior team you don't need 15 new players every year. You need 1/2 breaking in to the senior ranks each year and we have that in spades. Diramuid O'Connor, Patrick Durkin, Conor Loftus are all making waves, it takes young players a few years to get battle hardened.
    If we need to admit to failings in our underage structures, then any knowledgeable, honest Roscommon supporter will admit that they are stretching themselves way beyond their means backing this current team and risk bankrupting the county in the belief that this team will bring success.
    Finally, on the club championship, it can be a distraction to the senior team in that it keeps a group of players out of the league squad, the fact that this is the third different Mayo team to contest a club final in the last 15 years would indicate a strong club scene and that can only be a good thing. You point out someone else's aloofness, yet we're 19 years in Division 1 and despite this being your first season back in 13 years all I hear is talk of relegating us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

2013 All Ireland Minor Champions must not count. The reason you put so much effort into underage is because you had no choice, you were playing Div 4 football and up was the only way you could go. I agree that Mayo has not given underage the focus it deserves, but when you have a strong senior team you don't need 15 new players every year. You need 1/2 breaking in to the senior ranks each year and we have that in spades. Diramuid O'Connor, Patrick Durkin, Conor Loftus are all making waves, it takes young players a few years to get battle hardened.
    If we need to admit to failings in our underage structures, then any knowledgeable, honest Roscommon supporter will admit that they are stretching themselves way beyond their means backing this current team and risk bankrupting the county in the belief that this team will bring success.
    Finally, on the club championship, it can be a distraction to the senior team in that it keeps a group of players out of the league squad, the fact that this is the third different Mayo team to contest a club final in the last 15 years would indicate a strong club scene and that can only be a good thing. You point out someone else's aloofness, yet we're 19 years in Division 1 and despite this being your first season back in 13 years all I hear is talk of relegating us.

Two managers within our own county. Far less travel expenses than Evans and Keirns who traveled up to AIT multiple times a week for training. The fact we have to rent training grounds and pay the expenses of so many players living in Dublin is more costly than the management team by a significance margin. Coming from a county who genuinely is drowning in debt and has spent the last five years burning the candle at both ends with regards senior team spending that's rich to say the least. Tony McEntee didn't even know Rochford until he rang him out of the blue; he's not travelling to Castlebar for his undying passion for Mayo football. And neither is Donie Buckley for that matter.

Rawhead, quit while you're behind. I'm not in the business of slandering counties to score cheap internet points but it seems you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Does anyone know where premium tickets for Sunday might be got?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Can someone explain why I can,t bring in my kids to the hogan stand on Thursday without paying adult prices for them?why do they only allow kids prices for cusack stand not hogan.

Best of luck to na piarsaigh in the hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What are people's thoughts on the hurling final? I'm hoping Cushendall win through but I feel it will be a tight game if they do make it.

Weather forecast looks good which bodes well for everyone and hopefully will result in a great spectacle to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'm finding it hard to look past Na Piarsaigh in the hurling, think the space of Croke Park will suit their forwards.

big_drive wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to look past Na Piarsaigh in the hurling, think the space of Croke Park will suit their forwards.
    It's hard to call. Cushendall are very solid at the back. They missed a hat load of chances in their semi though which they can't afford to do this time out. The last time Na Piarsaigh met Antrim opposition they were sent packing. They've pedigree though, 3 Munsters is no mean feat.. Both teams are in their first final though so it could just come down to who is better on the day. Bookies have NP as strong favs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Think it'll be Na Piarsiagh and BB/St.Endas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just a reminder to anyone heading up for the club finals, the LUAS won't be running on Paddys Day. So if any of ye were planning on leaving the car at the Red Cow Park 'n' Ride & taking the Luas into town, you'll have to make other plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

What are people's thoughts on the hurling final? I'm hoping Cushendall win through but I feel it will be a tight game if they do make it.

Weather forecast looks good which bodes well for everyone and hopefully will result in a great spectacle to watch.

I'd love to see Cushendall pull off a shock but unfortunately I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd love to see Cushendall pull off a shock but unfortunately I can't see it happening.

It will probably suit them not having any pressure on them. It comes with being an Ulster team to be continually written off, but really their previous attempts in the semis were all close encounters - especially the DLS game. Antrim clubs are not a pushover. The county team is poor, but that's another story.

NaP are going in as big favourites in their first AI club final and they'll have to handle that expectation too.

Looking forward to it. Should be a cracker - I hope neither team chokes on the day, but I want Cushendall to make it. I always pluck for the underdog!

Advertisement