Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ideally you'd be playing the club finals no later than October. I don't know if that's possible, but the responsibility should be put on county boards to allow it.

Obviously counties have to have access to players, but so do the clubs. Maybe if the All-Irelands were to played within the calendar year, the club championships could start a bit earlier, although then you have the league & early provincial competitions to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I have heard this argument.

It's four clubs. Just four. Out of thre entire country.

If my club was ever to get that far, the buzz and excitement it would generate would be remembered for a lifetime

Four clubs at senior level. Plus four more at Intermediate level. And four more at Junior Level. That is twelve clubs in finals alone. Then there are all the beaten semi finalists. That is a total of 24 clubs, that have these seasons running to 10 and 11 months, taking in two calendar years. That is a lot more than just four clubs.

Either way, whether it is just one club or 1001 clubs affected, the players themselves hate these incredibly long seasons. Do their opinions not matter? As mere spectators, do our own Paddys Day traditions matter more? I don't think that they do. Anyway, the Paddys Day finals have only been in place since the mid 70's. It's not like Paddys Day finals, were decided upon back in Hayes Hotel & Michael Cusack & Co will be turning in their graves if they are moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ideally you'd be playing the club finals no later than October. I don't know if that's possible, but the responsibility should be put on county boards to allow it.

Obviously counties have to have access to players, but so do the clubs. Maybe if the All-Irelands were to played within the calendar year, the club championships could start a bit earlier, although then you have the league & early provincial competitions to contend with.

Sure just look at the recent convention. The county boards couldn't care less for about the club players. It's getting to the stage whereby the club players are going to have to take a stand.

We have a situation now where the majority of club games are being held up due to the intercounty teams commitments.

It also means players are not being given enough of an offseason to rest and recover from injuries. I know a few lads who put off recommended rehab and instead go for a quick fix operation because they know a 3 month lay off means they'll probably miss the entire championship.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement