Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat on LG TVs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Can't speak for LGs but my Samsung guide will say FreeSat when set up as UK even with nothing connected or tuned. When set to Ireland it says Saorview again with nothing connected or tuned. If set to Ireland it will tune the FTA satellite channels in any order with now/next EPG. When set as UK it has full FreeSat functionality inc 7day EPG, auto-tuning, Red Button functions and MHEG5 text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

But what am I missing by ¨not having Freesat¨ ?

If you don't have an EPG that shows whats on in advance how do you know what to record?

So.................

Updated my 32inch LG Smart TV 32LB580V to version 04.04.12 of the firmware.

and no obvious changes.

Set Country as UK, Service Country as UK and put in a valid home counties UK postcode, nada nothing no change.

I'd backed up my channel settings but nothing changed and I didn't need to set them all up again - might try setting them up from scratch just in case that gets it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

my3cents wrote: »
    So.................

Updated my 32inch LG Smart TV 32LB580V to version 04.04.12 of the firmware.

and no obvious changes.

Set Country as UK, Service Country as UK and put in a valid home counties UK postcode, nada nothing no change.

I'd backed up my channel settings but nothing changed and I didn't need to set them all up again - might try setting them up from scratch just in case that gets it going.
    If you didn't need to set up your channels again would hint at a factory reset required first.

If you didn't need to set up your channels again would hint at a factory reset required first.

Thats what I was thinking but I would have thought that changing the country would have set up the EPG if it was going to happen.

Will try again tomorrow but wife is watching it now so I can't try yet.

The settings showed that upgrade had occurred and showed as 04.04.12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Seems that Version 04.00.60 is the minimum requirement to get Freesat on LG Smart TVs

Seems that Version 04.00.60 is the minimum requirement to get Freesat on LG Smart TVs

I did a full reset on mine with 04.04.07 and it made no difference still no EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Freesat is software that arranges the channels as a channel list on satellite with all the other crap religious and phone chick channels stripped out. It generates it in a grid with 7 day epg. The software also has red button capabilities and automatic autotuning.

Free to Air Satellite is all of the channels including the regional variations etc in no particular order.

Freeview is the terrestrial based aerial system used in the UK and has nothing to do with satelllite.

You don't reorder the channels in Freesat format hoping that an epg simply arrives and super imposes itself over it. Freesat is software that does everything for you.

Changing your country is the first requirement as it will deliver firmware according to country selected. The are Pan European TV's sold all over Europe.

If you have been resetting to UK you will have to rescan everything anyhow as it forces you to. If you have a previously created channel list generated using chansort, flashing this afterwards will change your country back to Ireland, if the TV was originally set that way.

STB. wrote: »
    Freesat is software that arranges the channels as a channel list on satellite with all the other crap religious and phone chick channels stripped out. It generates it in a grid with 7 day epg. The software also has red button capabilities and automatic autotuning.

Free to Air Satellite is all of the channels including the regional variations etc in no particular order.

Freeview is the terrestrial based aerial system used in the UK and has nothing to do with satelllite.

You don't reorder the channels in Freesat format hoping that an epg simply arrives and super imposes itself over it. Freesat is software that does everything for you.

Changing your country is the first requirement as it will deliver firmware according to country selected. The are Pan European TV's sold all over Europe.

If you have been resetting to UK you will have to rescan everything anyhow as it forces you to. If you have a previously created channel list generated using chansort, flashing this afterwards will change your country back to Ireland, if the TV was originally set that way.

Full reset and rescan with UK settings - nothing new. Just the same random list of satellite channels.

Full reset and rescan with UK settings - nothing new. Just the same random list of satellite channels.

In the menu, have you picked postcode and stook in the one recommended as an example ?

Have you went into the settings menu and searched for an update ?

• Advertisement

In the menu, have you picked postcode and stook in the one recommended as an example ?

Have you went into the settings menu and searched for an update ?

Just used a regular genuine UK postcode. Also searched for update. Just scanning again after some other changes.

Just used a regular genuine UK postcode. Also searched for update. Just scanning again after some other changes.

When you go to scan on satellite, it will give you a option of FTA or Freesat. That how you know if the Freesat update was in that firmware update.

When you go to scan on satellite, it will give you a option of FTA or Freesat. That how you know if the Freesat update was in that firmware update.

Will check again the exact option as I'm just scanning again now leaving out scrambled channels but don't remember a Freesat being offered anywhere as part of the process.

Same firmware update covers a mass of TV's

32LB5700-ZB
    32LB570B-ZB
    32LB570U-ZB
    32LB570V-ZB
    32LB570U-ZJ
    32LB570V-ZJ
    32LB572U-ZP
    32LB572V-ZP
    39LB5700-ZB
    39LB570V-ZB
    39LB570V-ZJ
    39LB572V-ZP
    42LB5700-ZB
    42LB570V-ZB
    42LB570V-ZJ
    42LB572V-ZP
    47LB5700-ZB
    47LB570V-ZB
    47LB570V-ZJ
    47LB572V-ZP
    50LB5700-ZB
    50LB570V-ZB
    32LB5800-ZM
    32LB580B-ZM
    32LB580U-ZB
    32LB580U-ZM
    32LB580V-ZB
    32LB580V-ZM
    32LB5820-ZJ
    32LB582B-ZJ
    32LB582V-ZG
    32LB580U-ZB
    32LB582U-ZJ
    32LB582V-ZJ
    39LB5800-ZM
    39LB580V-ZB
    39LB580V-ZM
    42LB5800-ZM
    42LB580V-ZB
    42LB580V-ZM
    42LB5820-ZJ
    42LB582V-ZG
    42LB582V-ZJ
    47LB5800-ZM
    47LB580V-ZB
    47LB580V-ZM
    47LB5820-ZJ
    47LB582V-ZG
    47LB582V-ZJ
    50LB5800-ZM
    50LB580V-ZM
    50LB5820-ZJ
    50LB582V-ZJ
    55LB5800-ZM
    55LB580V-ZM
    55LB5820-ZJ
    55LB582V-ZJ
    60LB5800-ZM
    60LB580V-ZM
    60LB610V-ZU
    50LB610V-ZU
    55LB610V-ZU

So I assume none of the others on the list have Freesat?

Your 2014 model TV is not one of the LG 2015 TV's the LF630 and LF650 TV that got the freesat update straight off after the announcement (see Post No 90).

You are then at the mercy of that promise about legacy TV's being supported via a firmware update that may miraculously appear some day. In order to avail of that the firmware update centre depends on you setting your TV to UK as it wont be unnecessary offering that firmware to countries that Freesat does not cover, as their servers would be fried. The TV's turn on and turn off features according to which country you choose.

Andy Mackay is the UK Commercial Director with LG. Matthew Huntington is the Chief Technology Officer at Freesat.
    Both were involved in the announcement in September 2015. Why don't you ask them when it will be available ?

Your 2014 model TV is not one of the LG 2015 TV's the LF630 and LF650 TV that got the freesat update straight off after the announcement (see Post No 90).

You are then at the mercy of that promise about legacy TV's being supported via a firmware update that may miraculously appear some day. In order to avail of that the firmware update centre depends on you setting your TV to UK as it wont be unnecessary offering that firmware to countries that Freesat does not cover, as their servers would be fried. The TV's turn on and turn off features according to which country you choose.

Andy Mackay is the UK Commercial Director with LG. Matthew Huntington is the Chief Technology Officer at Freesat.
    Both were involved in the announcement in September 2015. Why don't you ask them when it will be available ?

tbh I was just trying because I saw there was a new update and posted so anyone else with one of the TV's listed above knows that there is no Freesat option available for them.

Provided the TV has the Freesat feature it doesn't need to go anywhere near LG servers once the location info has been updated as the satellite provides all the data for the Freesat EPG.

tbh I was just trying because I saw there was a new update and posted so anyone else with one of the TV's listed above knows that there is no Freesat option available for them.

Provided the TV has the Freesat feature it doesn't need to go anywhere near LG servers once the location info has been updated as the satellite provides all the data for the Freesat EPG.

Yes but the 500meg firmware update (that includes the Freesat SDK) that you are waiting on is not downloaded over the air on satellite. LG firmware updates are done over the internet.

Yes but the 500meg freesat firmware that you are waiting on is not downloaded over the air on satellite. LG firmware updates are done over the internet.

I don't get your point, they must have the capacity as the default TV setting is to automatically offer the latest updates for downloading. I only do mine manually because it takes me 2-3 hours to download 600MB and I don't want to risk bricking the TV if there is a problem with the automatic download because of a poor internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

STB. wrote:

What postcode is recommended as an example?

I updated my TV a few days ago with an update that must only be out a few weeks, and saw this morning that another update will be due at 1am 2nd Feb. Maybe this will be the freesat at last...
    Still a bit concerned about my TV for postcode; anytime I've tried entering a postcode it says that the network is not connected, meaning the WiFi network. Why is that relative to the satellite info? Although did i read that some tv EPG would be a smart tv app??

Regarding UK postcodes, it's a matter of your preference

I use a London one, so get BBC One London on 101 and ITV London on 103. You can use a NI, Wales or Scotland one if you want

http://www.freesat.co.uk/tvguide for the channels provided on Freesat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Still a bit concerned about my TV for postcode; anytime I've tried entering a postcode it says that the network is not connected, meaning the WiFi network. Why is that relative to the satellite info? Although did i read that some tv EPG would be a smart tv app??

Do you know why it's looking for the postcode? If it's to do with Freeview tuning, maybe it wants to access an online database of transmitters. For Freesat, the info. related to the postcode can be accessed over the air.

AFAIA, only Panasonic make TVs with the 'smart' Freetime EPG.

• Advertisement

Thurston? wrote:
    Do you know why it's looking for the postcode? If it's to do with Freeview tuning, maybe it wants to access an online database of transmitters. For Freesat, the info. related to the postcode can be accessed over the air.

It's just postcode in the country selection & settings page, just to access the postcode section it tells me to contact to network. Maybe it's just for the other smart apps, and not for the EPG.
    In freesat, when tuning in the freesat option, is that when freesat looks for postcode, separate from the TV menu settings??

(Edit: the postcode I was talking about is for the smart apps, im pretty confident on that now...)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Anybody know the difference between a LF630V and LB630V.

My SW is 05.00.55 as updated from LG through USB stick for LB630 but no Freesat yet a chap on here has it on his LF630V

Cheers

RG

Anybody know the difference between a LF630V and LB630V.

My SW is 05.00.55 as updated from LG through USB stick for LB630 but no Freesat yet a chap on here has it on his LF630V

Cheers

RG

LF is the 2015 model

Not sure about the LB

LF is the 2015 model

Not sure about the LB

378474.jpg

Freesat have updated their website with LG TVs listed

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/all-tvs

Freesat have updated their website with LG TVs listed

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/all-tvs

This is a list of 2015 tvs with freesat already installed but its not related to the release of firmware for some older versions of TV, as per the joint lg/freesat press release last year.

Did anyone who thinks they are due the firmware udate for freesat, get on to LG directly about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭peking97

Did anyone who thinks they are due the firmware udate for freesat, get on to LG directly about that?
    Yes I did some months back and this was their response!.....

*Thank you for your query regarding your LG products, first of all, I do apologize about the delay here. I have had a look into this for you and unfortunately as this press release was only just released we don't have any information in which TVs this update will be released to. The best thing you can do is to keep an eye on your TV and as long automatic updates is ticked then this would come automatically to your TV.
    I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. Please help us to improve our customer service by completing the short survey at the bottom of this email.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
    XXXXXX
    LG Electronics UK Help desk
    LG Customer Services
    UK: 0344 847 5454 Ireland: 01 686 9454*

Not exactly encouraging!

peking97 wrote: »
    Yes I did some months back and this was their response!.....

*Thank you for your query regarding BLAH BLAH BLAH
    I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. Please help us to improve our customer service by completing the short survey at the bottom of this email.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
    XXXXXX
    LG Customer Services
    UK: 0344 847 5454 Ireland: 01 686 9454*

Not exactly encouraging!

LOL, brilliant.:rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Enquired at the beginning of the month for a mate of mine. Here's the enquiry I sent through the LG website:
    Received Date : 01/02/2016 18:18 36
    The type of inquiry : Software/Hardware updates
    Product/Model No. : /55LB700V

Hi there,

I see from announcement on Freesat website September 2015 that LG are updating their TV's with satellite receivers to the Freesat system. Link here:
    http://cdn.freesat.co.uk/freesat/freesat_website/content/downloadables/lg%20partnership.pdf

Obviously this will tremendously improve the usefulness of these TV's. The press release states "In a first for Freesat, LG will also support the service across its existing TVs. Owners of satellite-compatible TVs will gain access to over 200 subscription free TV and radio channels, with many in high definition, via a software rollout to customers."

I installed 2 of the LG 55LB700V last year - is the software update available? If not when is the update due?

Thanks for your assistance,

xxxxx

Here's the reply I got from LG the next day:
    Hi xxxxx,

Thank you for your email.

I would be more than happy to assist you with your LG BP325 blu-ray player.

I have had a look into this for you but only 2 TV's currently have this update, your TV is unfortunately not one of those. We also do not have nay informartion as to which TV's will get this update and when that they will get the update.

I hope you are happy with the service I have personally provided, if you are, please take the time to fill out a short survey at the bottom of this email. It is based solely on my efforts for you. I appreciate all feedback given!

Should you need any more assistance, you can reply to this email by clicking the additional questions link above the survey.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
    xxxxx
    LG Customer Services
    UK: 0344 847 5454 Ireland: 01 686 9454
    Mon-Sat 9am to 6pm
    Closed bank holidays
    www.lg.com/uk <http://www.lg.com/uk>
    You can even reach us via our Web Chat facility through the LG UK website
    <http://www.lg.com/uk/support/contact-customer-support>
    No sign of any update immediately pending then (even for my imaginary blu-ray player :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Zilog wrote: »
    Enquired at the beginning of the month for a mate of mine. Here's the enquiry I sent through the LG website:

Here's the reply I got from LG the next day:

No sign of any update immediately pending then (even for my imaginary blu-ray player :D

At least you got a reply.

I sent a number of mails to the LG support team and they just ignored them

Advertisement