Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat on LG TVs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

STB. wrote: »
    So.....the version that has the Freesat SDK rolled into the firmware is 04.00.55.

If you have the LF630 or LF650 and this latest firmware, then you now have an option of Freesat or FTA Only in the Programme Tuning settings for satellite.

No update on the implementation of the update for other legacy models just yet.

So...when it does come in eventually for my model the f/w should look similar to 04.00.55, and then after updating the TV, I will have to retune to the satellite? It wont just grab the freesat epg without retuning?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

I updated an LG 630 model today and scanned in the freesat channels, very handy, it done it in less than a minute. One issue I'm having is that on the bbc channels a network problem pop up keeps coming up on the screen no matter how many times I exit out of it.
    I'm assuming it has something to do with the tv being connected to an Irish router while showing uk stations, it's as if every time I switch to a bbc station the tv tries to connect to the iplayer. Switching off the wifi stops this message coming up on screen but I don't want to be constantly switching the wifi on and off. If anyone knows a quick way to stop this happening I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Finne1993 wrote: »
    I updated an LG 630 model today and scanned in the freesat channels, very handy, it done it in less than a minute. One issue I'm having is that on the bbc channels a network problem pop up keeps coming up on the screen no matter how many times I exit out of it.
    I'm assuming it has something to do with the tv being connected to an Irish router while showing uk stations, it's as if every time I switch to a bbc station the tv tries to connect to the iplayer. Switching off the wifi stops this message coming up on screen but I don't want to be constantly switching the wifi on and off. If anyone knows a quick way to stop this happening I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Report it to LG.

I get the same on my 2012 Samsung **ES7000 when I try to use the red button, but it still works but is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think this might be down to the BBC red button plus

according to the LG uk blog it's possible to disable this
    BBC Red Button+ will be your default service, although you will have the option to return to the old, traditional style should the thought of such momentous change paralyse you with icy terror.
    http://www.lgblog.co.uk/2015/08/new-bbc-red-button-places-tv-happiness-at-your-fingertips/
    I think it might be in the settings in the programme menu under 'Data service' or HBBTV

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Finne1993, Can you advise where i can find this latest firmware that adds Freesat?
    The latest firmware on the LG website is version 4.00.15 released 24/09/2015.
    I updated an LG 630 model today and scanned in the freesat channels, very handy, it done it in less than a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

It was in the updates in the menu of the tv itself, just connect to wifi, search for updates and its there! download and install it there and then, there's no need for doing it through usb once it's a smart TV and its connected to the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

It was in the updates in the menu of the tv itself, just connect to wifi, search for updates and its there! download and install it there and then, there's no need for doing it through usb once it's a smart TV and its connected to the net

I'd do just that if I had a decent connection but as my connection is very poor (3) the only safe thing to do is to get the download first then use the USB method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Latest software version is 04.00.60 on the LF630V anyway which has Freesat built in

Settings/Advanced Settings/General/About This TV is where you'll find it

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭peking97

Just upgraded my 32LB580V firmware from 04.04.10 to 04.04.12 but still no Freesat capability so it looks like it's not going to be made available for this model:(:mad:

peking97 wrote: »
    Just upgraded my 32LB580V firmware from 04.04.10 to 04.04.12 but still no Freesat capability so it looks like it's not going to be made available for this model:(:mad:

Email Freesat and LG. They were the ones who said older LG Smart TVs would get Freesat via software update. That was months ago

• Advertisement

Email Freesat and LG. They were the ones who said older LG Smart TVs would get Freesat via software update. That was months ago

They came out with a new upgrade shortly after that too, but don't see the freesat ability. Not sure if it is related to the upgrade but the remote can be brutal slow to work now. About the only effect I definitely noticed...

There is ability to enter postcode now, that I didn't find before but still no useful EPG..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Do you need to switch setup to the UK rather than Ireland to get a freesat option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Do you need to switch regional setup to the UK rather than Ireland to get a freesat option?

mollser wrote: »
    Do you need to switch regional setup to the UK rather than Ireland to get a freesat option?

I think you do, otherwise how would you get the correct epg for your region, and freesat to list the channels in order for your region? Your region being a UK region, e.g. London, Wales, NI, etc.. Some of the channels are region specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Do you need to switch setup to the UK rather than Ireland to get a freesat option?

Yes.

For legacy models, you would also need to tune the satellite stations anyway. You may also need to stick in a post code like London say. Its the only way it would know what region to offer you.

If you do a manual check for new software rather waiting for it to prompt you, you will notice that it reading off very strange TP's like CBS etc.....which is the prompt for the TV to update itself.... or not.

peking97 wrote: »
    STB. wrote: »
    Yes.

For legacy models, you would also need to tune the satellite stations anyway. You may also need to stick in a post code like London say. Its the only way it would know what region to offer you.

If you do a manual check for new software rather waiting for it to prompt you, you will notice that it reading off very strange TP's like CBS etc.....which is the prompt for the TV to update itself.... or not.

Has anyone in Ireland actually got a freesat epg on an LG tv since the firmware update and that joint LG/Freesat announcement 3 months ago?

I saw there was another update for firmware yesterday for my TV, and when putting in the postcode it became related to the network connection.
    So if its an irish network would that stop the EPG,& acceptance of the postcode.??

I dont have a proper and reliable network connection at the moment so not well able to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

Has anyone in Ireland actually got a freesat epg on an LG tv since the firmware update and that joint LG/Freesat announcement 3 months ago?

I saw there was another update for firmware yesterday for my TV, and when putting in the postcode it became related to the network connection.
    So if its an irish network would that stop the EPG,& acceptance of the postcode.??

I dont have a proper and reliable network connection at the moment so not well able to test it.

Updated my 580v last night. Still no Freesat even though I have it setup as UK.

techdiver wrote: »
    Updated my 580v last night. Still no Freesat even though I have it setup as UK.

But what about your wifi network? On my ub820v it looks for the network being connected at the same time as the postcode, wont accept it otherwise. And that is where it failed because I couldnt get the wifi set up.

I changed country back to ireland and dont fancy trying to uk again at the moment...

Latest software version is 04.00.60 on the LF630V anyway which has Freesat built in

Settings/Advanced/General/About This TV is where you'll find it

As mentioned on page 7, my LF630V has Freesat. The TV has since updated to version 04.00.90

As mentioned on page 7, my LF630V has Freesat. The TV has since updated to version 04.00.90

My TV also has freesat, tuned through the satellite, but it doesn't have an epg that goes beyond now and next program.
    Does yours have a 7day epg for freesat?
    If it does, how is your TV set up?
    What other benefits have you noticed since the freesat firmware upgrade?

Didn't see that post on page 7 either, using the app.

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote:
    Just got an update this morning on my LB580V, but still no freesat option.

techdiver wrote:
    I have my country set to UK and have a UK post entered, but the tuner options are still only Satellite, Cable and Antenna.

This is from page 7. Surely there is no 'freesat tuner option', and that freesat is tuned through satellite. ???
    All I understand from the supposed freesat firmware upgrade is that it will enable a 7 day EPG, and put the channels in order according to the uk postcode...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

My TV also has freesat, tuned through the satellite, but it doesn't have an epg that goes beyond now and next program.

That isn't Freesat. Freesat is a brand name, not a generic term for free satellite TV.

Thurston? wrote: »
    That isn't Freesat. Freesat is a brand name, not a generic term for free satellite TV.

Freesat is what is written above the channel listing I get on my LG even though I get no true EPG.

my3cents wrote: »
    Freesat is what is written above the channel listing I get on my LG even though I get no true EPG.

Sure it isn't Freeview, rather than Freesat?

Is your TV an LF630 or LF650, the only models that have been confirmed (here anyway) of having the Freesat firmware available?

Is your TV an LF630 or LF650, the only models that have been confirmed (here anyway) of having the Freesat firmware available?

My apologies it is Freeview :o

Can you define what having the Freesat firmware available means? Have you got it yet?

I get all the free satellite channels, that includes all those offered by Freesat, but you say I dont get the brand Freesat. OK, strictly speaking that is liklely true.

But what am I missing by ¨not having Freesat¨ ?
    Apart from the EPG, and correct channels and ordering?

my3cents wrote: »
    My apologies it is Freeview :o

I thought you only get Freeview through digital TV, not through satellite?

I can't say for sure as I don't get any terrestrial signal here in a valley but what I get when I push the button on the remote control that says GUIDE is a screen that lists all the stations 1-400? that you can scroll through. The screen has a big title with a red background that announces Freeview.

But what am I missing by ¨not having Freesat¨ ?

It's just a set of features that make free-to-air satellite more user-friendly, like as you mentioned, the proper EPG &, the selection of regional variations depending on UK postcode entered at setup.

Also includes automatic updates of the channel list, & retuning when channels change frequency.

I'd say the TV just puts Freeview branding on everything when UK is chosen as country setting, though I'd assume the versions that offer Freesat will have Freesat branding on the guide.

• Advertisement

Currently my 32LB580V is on ver 04.04.07 and I noticed there is now a 04.04.12 at http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-search?search=32LB580V but when I try and download it I get some crap about a DjVu file? The result is there is nothing to download. Anyone got any ideas or other places to get the latest firmware?

FOTA is a PITA btw, my connection is too slow to risk it.

Edit> Got the download started on another computer, obviously some file association problem on the first one I tried.

Advertisement