Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Born addicted RTE2 Thursday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Lisha wrote: »
    The lady with the daughter is amazing. Fair play to her. Best of luck to them

Yes I like thar lady Donna. She has come a long way. As for the couple - words fail me really!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

soundcrowd wrote: »
    I'm disgusted I live in a country where the government support these sort.
    They have absolutely nothing to offer society. Just a massive drain on resources with nothing to show for it.

Mod:
    Soundcrowd, Boards.ie is not the place for saying things like this. Please don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I can only imagine what it is like to bury 5 babies. It doesn't bear thinking about.

I guess babies are very resiliant

Slash their support in half.

Cut them off completely if they refuse to work.

Make them brush their teeth.

Jesus ... Your unreal.

You really don't know what makes people become addicted do you ?
    It's so sad. They're not animals you castrate or put to sleep !!

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    No methadone if you don't take contraception be it pill or an injection.

Simple as that.

Is it just drug addicts you would force birth control on? Anyone else you think shouldn't have babies?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I wonder how she ended up living in Cavan.

Is this lady (Petrina) on methadone?? Or used to be on drugs in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Is it just drug addicts you would force birth control on? Anyone else you think shouldn't have babies?

No just these people.

Poor children. It's cruel bringing them into this life.

She can work like we all have to. Too much spoon feeding these wasters for far too long. We tolerate this crap.

A taxi to the graveyard? Obviously too much money to spare. Walk, you waters.

She is entitled to spend her money however she likes (no matter the source). If she wants to pay for a taxi, that is her choice.

• Advertisement

She is entitled to spend her money however she likes (no matter the source). If she wants to pay for a taxi, that is her choice.

Her money? Really?

Haha don't make me laugh.

No just these people.

Poor children. It's cruel bringing them into this life.

Yes but in a civilized world we don't go forcing birth control on citizens

I'm happy for the lady at the end living in Cavan and off the drugs. I hope she can stay clean.

I wish her and her baby well.

Oh but we bring children into that world of drugs and misery?

Maybe we have our priorities wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

And maybe a child deserves civilized parents.
    By all means support them. But if they are not committed to change then the child is simply stuck in a circle filed with addiction, uncertainty and a piss poor chance at life.

Oh jeez I've switched over to RTE1 to the Crumlin hospital program. Just too much poor little children for me tonight I think.

By all means support them. But if they are not committed to change then the child is simply stuck in a circle filed with addiction, uncertainty and a piss poor chance at life.

Unfortunately that is the reality for many of the poor children born to drug addicted parents. It's very sad.

Unfortunately that is the reality for many of the poor children born to drug addicted parents. It's very sad.

But is it right just to blindlyaccept this as being the children's reality. If the parents won't improve it then the state services need to step in and give the child the best possible chance.
    Ok we all agree it's sad, but surely we have to try and improve it rather than saying 'that's their lot in life'

But is it right just to blindlyaccept this as being the children's reality. If the parents won't improve it then the state services need to step in and give the child the best possible chance.
    Ok we all agree it's sad, but surely we have to try and improve it rather than saying 'that's their lot in life'

I agree that that state needs to assist the family. That support may mean removing the child from the care of the parent or perhaps it means other types of support.

What I don't think is right is forcing birth control on drug addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

It's a joke. Seriously. They shouldn't have the financial option to have a baby. Don't give them money when they have a child.

When did that ever stop anyone having sex/kids?!
    If you don't provide welfare you'd just end up with the kids suffering even more as their parents would have no way of supporting them.

• Advertisement

Being committed is one thing ........getting off that stuff is another .....

What do you mean by "civilised" parents? We are not all born lucky enough to learn to be "civilised". Count yourself lucky .

If people don't get a chance from the start it's a hell of a lot harder for them to make a go of life . But they deserve a chance...,. like anyone else.

I hurt looking at those poor little babies .... I don't know what the answer is . But those people are not animals .

Being committed is one thing ........getting off that stuff is another .....

What do you mean by "civilised" parents? We are not all born lucky enough to learn to be "civilised". Count yourself lucky .

If people don't get a chance from the start it's a hell of a lot harder for them to make a go of life . But they deserve a chance...,. like anyone else.

I hurt looking at those poor little babies .... I don't know what the answer is . But those people are not animals .

I do count myself very lucky.

I don't think they are animals at all.
    So much focus goes on the human rights of the adult that the child's human rights are totally overlooked.

Really more money and services need to be available to help these people through life. That's the answer I know but it's a dream sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,194 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A very interesting and tough documentary. I thought all the addicts came across very well. Yes, the two, Thomas and his partner really did seem very muddled with their addictions, but all seemed to have good hearts deep down. Very sad. Delighted to see that young lady in Cavan seems to have turned her life around. I hope she stays straight.

This may sound controversial, but should we as a society have measures in place for people who bring children into the world under such circumstances? Should there be a limit whereby authorities can use whatever means available to stop people procreating? The lady who was on her 7th child? Now, in that programme she came across well, and spoke well, but 7 children all born into addiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Terribly sad addiction and you can see the devastation it leaves behind perhaps for many generations.
    some of the posters on here should be ashamed of themselves , ideology that wouldnt go amiss in Nazi Germany.
    Without going too deep into it , investment into education and caring for all our society is what progresses nations and the human race , few posters on here hellbent on racing to rock bottom.
    To put it in perspective , i feel as sorry for the attitudes of some toward very sick and vulnerable people as i do to the addicts themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

To answer previous posts, no honestly don't think people with these sort of addictions and collapsed lifestyles should be having children. They are clearly not in the mental state to decide what is best for themselves and the glib post about castration/birth control actually got me to thinking. Firstly it might be an idea to make methadone treatment conditional on using birth control but obviously they would not be willing or competent to take them as separate items. That got me to thinking that the birth control could be combined as part of the methadone so that if they want the methadone they have no choice but to take the bc too. Obviously some will decline but i think many would conceded and it could make a big impact and alleviate a lot of unnecessary suffering. Most babies born to addicts are probably unwanted and born by accident anyway.
    Having a separate male/female meth-bc dose could also be problematic. You could get fellas getting meth with no bc then selling it to women who want it but don't want the bc in it. Selling of meth happens all the time, they spit it into bottles and sell on the street.
    A workaround might be to have a unisex progesterone only meth/bc as the progesterone would be useful in males to reduce aggressiveness and inappropriate sexual behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

The State needs to be more active in taking these unfortunate children into care and only giving them back when the parents can prove they are clean from drugs. Otherwise we are just creating the next generation. It always breaks my heart to see in an innocent tot in a buggy in with zonked out adults in charge of it. I also think of the unfortunate couples who can't conceive and have to get in the long queue for adoption.

For those who disagree and claim we should just keep firing the money and the methadone at them and give them their 'entitlements', would you let a drug addicted parent babysit one of your children while you went to the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

Selling of meth happens all the time, they spit it into bottles and sell on the street.

Difficult to do. Methadone when issued has to be ingested in front of the person dispensing it.
    If the addict managed to bring it back up later, it would be puke with a hint of methadone.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Turfcutter wrote:
    Difficult to do. Methadone when issued has to be ingested in front of the person dispensing it. If the addict managed to bring it back up later, it would be puke with a hint of methadone.

Not really no, many junkies I have seen just get the methadone and bring it home with them. They do not have to take it infront of who ever prescribed it to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Turfcutter wrote: »
    Difficult to do. Methadone when issued has to be ingested in front of the person dispensing it.
    If the addict managed to bring it back up later, it would be puke with a hint of methadone.

I've seen them do it. They swig it back but they've gotten this knack of holding it in their mouths/throat and making it look like it's gone to the nurse. Then when they go outside they regurgitate it up into a coke bottle or paper cup and sell it on. It's disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

Just curious as to why this is such a taboo?

In our 'civilized world' there are many actions and behavious that are proscribed.

If I want to smoke cannabis and get stoned, the state - with the support of many citizens - has deemed this a punishable criminal act, thus preventing me from doing something to myself. I am hurting no one but myself, yet the state feels it right and proper to criminalise me should I choose to do this.

Sex between teenagers below the age of 17 is biologically possible, but the state proscribes this.

If I have an agonising terminal illness, I am prevented by the state from employing a doctor to assist me in ending my life.

If I refuse to seek medical assistance for my sick child and let nature take its course, I will be prosecuted.
    It's not up to us to cast judgement and decide who can and can't have babies. Where would you draw the line?

You state this as though it were an outlandish concept, but the state does this everyday during the adoption process. Why do we feel the need to require adoptive parents to meet such stringent criteria? If having a child is a universal right, surely the legislation surrounding adoption is discriminatory? Why should there be criteria only for those parents who lack the ability to reproduce naturally?

P.S. Of course, working out the rules and methods for this in the real world would be extremely difficult, but I don't understand why in principle it is such a taboo.

Advertisement