Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Born addicted RTE2 Thursday night

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Are you serious?

You think these two should allowed have a baby and expect the state to pay for it?

You think they should have a baby and not get any state support? (but other people would get support)

Why does that baby not deserve support?? Some life you are wishing on the child. Bad enough to have the misfortune to be born to addicted parents but the state also abandons them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

What are you going to do? Castrate the man and force birth control on the woman?

No not make it financially viable to pop out children when you're unemployed and addicted to methadone ffs.

amdublin wrote: »
    You think they should have a baby and not get any state support? (but other people would get support)

Why does that baby not deserve support?? Some life you are wishing on the child. Bad enough to have the misfortune to be born to addicted parents but the state also abandons them..

Totally taking it up wrong.

Is it not fairer to try stop the incentive to bring a poor baby into this sort of life.

Supporting them and making it easy just gives them the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

No not make it financially viable to pop out children when you're unemployed and addicted to methadone ffs.

Then you are forcing hardship on the baby. Why does that baby deserve any less than any other baby born in the State?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

"Who cares if I'm on methadone, I don't pay for it"

Indeed... Don't pay for much do ya, have another couple of kids, we'll foot the bills while working our bollix off to pay our own rent.

Sorry, **** off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There's no options when you're pregnant in Ireland other than remaining pregnant. What do you suggest such women do when they're pregnant?

Then you are forcing hardship on the baby. Why does that baby deserve any less than any other baby born in the State?

Right so lets just keep telling them you go ahead and have kids affected to methadone and we will support you financially.

Warped logic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

People have children. And they get support if they are entitled to it. We don't decide that some don't because they do drugs. In an ideal world of course things would be different. But it's not. I really don't see any alternative. Cut the support to them...what life is there for the child (even worse than their life as it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Right so lets just keep telling them you go ahead and have kids affected to methadone and we will support you financially.

Warped logic.

Women get pregnant. And they have no options here but to remain pregnant. What should happen to.the children?

Oh ffs, this woman is in no way fit to ever be let near a child never mind breed her own, really she's not

• Advertisement

"Who cares if I'm on methadone, I don't pay for it"

Indeed... Don't pay for much do ya, have another couple of kids, we'll foot the bills while working our bollix off to pay our own rent.

Sorry, **** off

This is the point im trying to get across.

It's too easy for this woman to have 7 kids while on methadone.
    The whole welfare system needs to overhauled. This is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

These two don't have the mental or emotional abilities to raise a child.

If saying that makes me a bad person then so be it.

The children deserve a better chance than that

Mod:
    Ok we are going a bit off topic here.

Let's finish the Should They or Should They not get Social Welfare and get back to just discussing the tv program.

Warped logic.

It's not up to us to cast judgement and decide who can and can't have babies.

Where would you draw the line?

Would you prevent people with disabilities from having babies? They will need a lot of support that will cost money (paid for by the state).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Im just sad and shocked. Poor babies. Not a chance from the start.

It's the children I definitely feel sorry for alright :(

Lisha wrote: »

It is a sad situation. I agree with all of the above.

But I am thankful that we live in a country where the government provides support for people like this and their children. Hopefully the children will have a decent life for these supports.

And I would hope that the parents get off the methadone in the future (but I am seriously doubtful)

Would you prevent people with disabilities from having babies? They will need a lot of support that will cost money (paid for by the state).

Yeah you might be right on that.

But the state has a responsibility to look after the welfare of the child which in, very exceptional, circumstances can mean taking the child into care.

A child being in care isn't fantastic but in my opinion is better than living in a household where you learn nothing of personal responsibility

Where is this shop? I missed the beginning. Does he own it?

• Advertisement

The choice seems to be that we can't decide the addicts are not good enough to be parents. So we support them financially to have as many children as THEY want
    But who looks after the best interests of the children. I'm sorry but the children deserve better.

Yeah you might be right on that.

But the state has a responsibility to look after the welfare of the child which in, very exceptional, circumstances can mean taking the child into care.

A child being in care isn't fantastic but in my opinion is better than living in a household where you learn nothing of personal responsibility

Agree

Lisha wrote: »
    The choice seems to be that we can't decide the addicts are not good enough to be parents. So we support them financially to have as many children as THEY want
    But who looks after the best interests of the children. I'm sorry but the children deserve better.

It's not a perfect solution.......but what is the alternative? Medical castration for drug addicts?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 soundcrowd

But I am thankful that we live in a country where the government provides support for people like this and their children.

I'm disgusted I live in a country where the government support these sort.
    They have absolutely nothing to offer society. Just a massive drain on resources with nothing to show for it.

soundcrowd wrote: »
    I'm disgusted I live in a country where the government support these sort.
    They have absolutely nothing to offer society. Just a massive drain on resources with nothing to show for it.

What would you suggest? Euthanize them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 soundcrowd

Slash their support in half.

Cut them off completely if they refuse to work.

Make them brush their teeth.

The lady with the daughter is amazing. Fair play to her. Best of luck to them

soundcrowd wrote: »
    Slash their support in half.

Cut them off completely if they refuse to work.

Make them brush their teeth.

And how does this help the baby?

No methadone if you don't take contraception be it pill or an injection.

Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I feel so sorry for the lady rearing her daughter on her own.

God love her she is trying so hard to be a great mum.....best of luck to her.

Advertisement