Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Born addicted RTE2 Thursday night

Options
  • 20-09-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

I just spotted the ad for Born Addicted, which airs Thursday night on RTE2.

I dunno if I'll be able to watch it. I know addicts deserve help, especially if they seek it out. But the poor children rarely have a real chance at life. It's going to be upsetting.

But I also think that the TV stations exploit the addicts for no reason other than ratings.

Hard to see if such a program could serve any positive impact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

Part of the Reality Bites series on RTE2.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/realitybites/
    Born Addicted explores this issue from all angles: we talk to expectant mothers who are on methadone, doctors treating the new-borns and some of the children - now adults - themselves

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes looks like a tough watch alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Emz2910

I think it's of great benefit for RTE to air a programme like this as its very informative. I agree it can be a challenge to watch but might also scare a few people into not taking drugs?
    Im looking forward to gaining more of an insight into an area of addiction I know nothing about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh dear god that poor little crying baby

Sweet jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

amdublin wrote: »
    Oh dear god that poor little crying baby

Sweet jesus

It's just heart wrenching :(

• Advertisement

I am so glad they blurred the little babies face. They didn't choose to be born that way. So unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

7 kids, 7.

Jesus Christ. I've no words.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,362 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it right that these 2 should be allowed to bring children into the world?

What hope will the kids ever have with those as parents.

I know that sounds harsh, but its something that needs to be considered.

NIMAN wrote: »

I don't know Niman. As methadone addicts go I've seen worse.

And then how do you prevent that? Who are we to stop people having children. Better I think to support them as parents and try break the cycle that their children won't be addicts.

• Advertisement

It's a joke. Seriously. They shouldn't have the financial option to have a baby. Don't give them money when they have a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

How many miscarriages? And how many infant deaths?? With all their methadone care do none of the professionals think to suggest or dare I say it, impose birth control???? Beggars belief! :eek:

JustTheOne wrote: »
    It's a joke. Seriously. They shouldn't have the financial option to have a baby. Don't give them money when they have a child.

That would be punishing the child twice I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Heartbreaking to see the little baby in withdrawal

sudzs wrote: »
    How many miscarriages? And how many infant deaths?? With all their methadone care do none of the professionals think to suggest or dare I say it, impose birth control???? Beggars belief! :eek:

Maybe they have suggested it. They can't force someone to take it.

That would be punishing the child twice I'm afraid.

I mean the incentive to these people shouldn't be the state will support your child if you have one.

It's just too easy.

Disgrace it is.

This methadone malarkey is a joke.

I think the government likes to keep them dosed up on the methadone......keeps the crime rate down.....they are like zombies

Surely the aim is to get off the methadone? These people sound like they will be on it eternally.

10 yrs on methadone is a ridiculous

I mean the incentive to these people shouldn't be the state will support your child if you have one.

It's just too easy.

Disgrace it is.

It's very difficult to get off heroin. The pair they featured (Thomas & Lisa) seem to be trying their best to avoid it by using methadone instead. There are a lot of people who use state support I don't know why we would say No to this couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I don't know Niman. As methadone addicts go I've seen worse.

And then how do you prevent that? Who are we to stop people having children. Better I think to support them as parents and try break the cycle that their children won't be addicts.

Myself and herself would love a kid but just cant afford one. Scary as we're in our thirties.

I know it sounds cynical but they can't afford so shouldnt. Or should we quit our jobs so we can qualify for some help?

Your man looks great, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Maybe they have suggested it. They can't force someone to take it.

true true...

• Advertisement

I think the government likes to keep them dosed up on the methadone......keeps the crime rate down.....they are like zombies

Surely the aim is to get off the methadone? These people sound like they will be on it eternally.

It certainly is a slow weaning process. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's very difficult to get off heroin. The pair they featured (Thomas & Lisa) seem to be trying their best to avoid it by using methadone instead. There are a lot of people who use state support I don't know why we would say No to this couple.

But will they ever get off the methadone???

It's just a legalised substitute. It's as bad as heroin

I would agree. I am not an expert but I do believe that the methadone program in Ireland is "maintenance" not "weaning".

Anyone know more about it then I?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Tbh the way the were talking about the happiness of having babies was the exact same way they described 'chasing the dragon' with drugs.
    Ffs babies are amazing but they don't make everything perfect all the time. It's hard work. I remember being stressed when mine were babies and all I could think of was how do people with real big problems and especially those which money issues manage.
    These two might think a baby will make all their worries disappear but what about the child. So wrapped up in the happy buzz a baby will give them they don't think about the babies quality of life at all.

But will they ever get off the methadone???

It's just a legalised substitute. It's as bad as heroin

I'm with you on this.

Are you serious?

You think these two should allowed have a baby and expect the state to pay for it?

This lady has had a crap life from the get go. Very sad.

Is this lady still on drugs/methadone?

She seems less "zombie" like and is actually showing a raw emotion compared to the others who see to show neither up or down.

Are you serious?

You think these two should allowed have a baby and expect the state to pay for it?

What are you going to do? Castrate the man and force birth control on the woman?

• Advertisement

This one has 7 kids.

The mind boggles.

Advertisement