Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC '15: Pool C General Chat [NZ/ARG/TON/GEO/NAM]

Options
  • 17-09-2015 2:59pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭

CPavfLWUcAABHTP.png

This is the thread for discussion of Pool C - buildup to games, squad talk, injuries, etc can go in here but there will be dedicated match threads for the bigger games. If a match thread for a smaller game has not been set up, match talk can go in here too.

POOL C

New Zealand||Argentina||Tonga||Georgia||Namibia
    362772.gif||362773.gif||362774.gif||362775.gif||362776.gif|

Fixtures:

Team 1 | |vs || Team 2 || Venue|| Date ||K.O. |

Tonga|| vs || Georgia|| Gloucester||19.09.15 || 12:00 |

New Zealand|| vs || Argentina| |Wembley||20.09.15 || 16:45 |

New Zealand|| vs || Namibia|| Olympic Stadium|| 24.09.15|| 20:00 |
    Argentina| |vs | |Georgia||Gloucester|| 25.09.15 || 16:45 |

Tonga|| vs || Namibia||Exeter|| 29.09.15 || 16:45 |

New Zealand| |vs || Georgia||Millenium Stadium|| 2.10.15 || 20:00 |

Argentina|| vs || Tonga|| Leicester|| 4.10.15 || 14:30 |

Namibia|| vs || Georgia||Exeter|| 7.10.15 || 20:00 |

New Zealand|| vs || Tonga|| Newcastle||9.10.15 || 20:00 |

Argentina|| vs || Namibia|| Leicester|| 11.10.15 || 12:00 |

A fairly straightforward group, with NZ and Argentina hot favourites to go through. Irish fans will have extra interest in how these teams progress, as we face either in the QF depending on how our group pans out. NZ are 5/4 favourites to win their second WC in a row, justifiably in most people's opinions, although they showed frailty in losing 27-19, and with it the championship, to Australia in Sydney last month. They did bounce back the following week to thrash the Aussies, however.

Argentina had their best season since entering the RC, beating SA convincingly 37-25 to shock the hosts and finish 3rd in the championship, ahead of SA. They will be hoping to emulate the team of 2007, which went all the way to the semi-final, and their promising showings in the RC will have strengthened that resolve.

The best the rest can hope for is to run Argentina close, with Tonga perhaps having the best chance, and Georgia will hope to use their traditional forward power to dominate the set piece. They will be fighting for scraps, however, and NZ and Argentina should progress with relative ease.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Only really 2 games of interest here, maybe 3.

NZ v Arg
    Arg v Tonga

and maybe NZ v Tonga

NZ could have a problem of getting to the QF's under cooked as they won't have had a tough game since week 1 of teh comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 maoriincork

Didn't you watch the RC. Argentina also ran NZ close. Argentina are a good team and I can see them going for second place as they would be thinking they have a good chance against France or Ireland. I def can see Argentina making the Semis.
    If I was Ireland I would be out to win the pool then come against Scotland and hey Semis here we are.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Only really 2 games of interest here, maybe 3.

NZ v Arg
    Arg v Tonga

and maybe NZ v Tonga

NZ could have a problem of getting to the QF's under cooked as they won't have had a tough game since week 1 of teh comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Didn't you watch the RC. Argentina also ran NZ close. Argentina are a good team and I can see them going for second place as they would be thinking they have a good chance against France or Ireland. I def can see Argentina making the Semis.
    If I was Ireland I would be out to win the pool then come against Scotland and hey Semis here we are.

:confused:

Ireland win Pool D we are against second in Pool C in the quarter finals. That's likely to be Argentina not Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

CatFromHue wrote: »

This is something that worries me and has been an issue at previous RWCs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Teams for NZ v ARG

CPKJjo8VEAA33s-.jpg
    CPLkOVjWoAABNdr.jpg

Probably the least interesting Pool in terms of chances of upsets. Can't see Argentina beating NZ, can't see any of the rest beating Argentina.

• Advertisement

Great crowd in for Tonga v Georgia. TV remembering to show the Sipi Tau today. Makes you wonder was it ITV deliberately cutting off the Fiji one yesterday? #JusticeForFiji

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

At least the stadium didn't blare 'music' over the PA during the Sipi Tau!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Kingsholm looks resplendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

Gorgodze looks a bit uninterested, not singing anthem, very slow around pitch. Not much aggression

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Could be a good game this. Georgia gave ireland a few problems last time out.

• Advertisement

Melodeon wrote: »
    At least the stadium didn't blare 'music' over the PA during the Sipi Tau!

They didn't blare music over it yesterday either. I'm pretty sure they cut it off from the broadcast and what we saw was video highlights with the audio being the live stream of the music in the stadium. If you know what I mean. Pretty sure the English sang over it though.

efb wrote: »
    Kingsholm looks resplendent.

I do love at the WC when two "minnows" play and all the locals come out in force. Although, there was a pretty loud chant going on there which I think sounded like the Georgians are out in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

They didn't blare music over it yesterday either. I'm pretty sure they cut it off from the broadcast and what we saw was video highlights with the audio being the live stream of the music in the stadium. If you know what I mean. Pretty sure the English sang over it though.

If thats the case nothing wrong with singing over it. If Ireland meet NZ I'd hope the Irish fangs sing through the Haka, why should NZ get that huge advantage and IReland just have to stand there and take it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

That in-goal area looks tiny!

If thats the case nothing wrong with singing over it. If Ireland meet NZ I'd hope the Irish fangs sing through the Haka, why should NZ get that huge advantage and IReland just have to stand there and take it

It's only a huge advantage if you let it bother you. The only impact booing or singing over it is going to do is annoy them into beating you even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Ah, my mistake so. :o

It sounded very disrespectful 'live' at the time though.

As Georgia is in Europe (and underdogs) I feel obliged to cheer for them!

Rugby is about respect. I'd like fans to respect all aspects of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

The Georgian scrumhalf just bounced the Tongan 6! Who needs Gorgidzilla?

Ceadog wrote: »
    The Georgian scrumhalf just bounced the Tongan 6! Who needs Gorgidzilla?

Georgian SH is only 18 too. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

What a kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It will be interesting to see what the turnout is at Brighton later dor the SA game but the turnout at Kingsholm is why I think they should have used more rugby grounds.

The Georgian maul and maul defence is really good. If they're gonna win this one that's how they'll do it.

Georgian SH is only 18 too. :eek:

Is that the 18 year old? Been watching with the sound off in case I accidentally hear some commentary. He looks very very good, some French team will no doubt snap him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Georgia are flying up in defence. Tongans getting ball and a tackle at same time.

bilston wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what the turnout is at Brighton later dor the SA game but the turnout at Kingsholm is why I think they should have used more rugby grounds.

You'd think they would have, I mean using a rugby ground would probably guarantee a big crowd and good atmosphere because the locals aren't going to want their ground to be shown up by another one.

Ceadog wrote: »
    Is that the 18 year old? Been watching with the sound off in case I accidentally hear some commentary. He looks very very good, some French team will no doubt snap him up.

Yeah, he doesn't look 18 but that's him. Not 19 until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Really enjoying this. Good god its only half past twelve. Going to be a long ould day.:D

This is a pretty ****ing decent game of rugby. Both teams are very up for it and Nigel is letting them at it. Much better than last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Had Georgia 1st half in my accumulator, damn.

• Advertisement

Gwan Georgia!

Advertisement