Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rainfall alert: Fri 11th - Mon 14th Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Rain starting in Mullingar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

44mm since midnight , 67mm event

Heard bad flood on dingle road just outside Tralee from mountain water, local woman told me she never saw a flood like it there before , cars getting through one at a time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My father just commented that he hasn't seen rain like this since Hurricane Charley struck in 1986. The heavens have opened here in Kerry and the rivers will burst their banks if this continues for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

It just started raining in Dublin City centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Stinicker wrote: »
    My father just commented that he hasn't seen rain like this since Hurricane Charley struck in 1986. The heavens have opened here in Kerry and the rivers will burst their banks if this continues for much longer.

At least another few hours for the far southwest anyway, there may be a bit of a clearance or at least an easing after that as the rain shifts more eastwards.

Looks like it's gotten a bit more intense around Kenmare and Sneem in the past half hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Non-stop here in sth Limerick since the early hours, should hopefully be collecting in my upturned 7-up bottle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

just about hanging on to the dry weather, farmer in the field beside us cant get the combine to go fast enough

Edit: Started Raining

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not much more than a continuous light rain here so far with the heavier stuff staying to the west.

Wave depression moving into the SW now might stir things a up a bit later.

361993.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Finally some lighter skies here in the far southwest ... Rained for 20 hours straight

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

misty rain in Athlone for the past 6 hours. Good drop of water but at the moment, nothing more unusual than a standard winters day.... for now.

Worried about them winds forecast for tomorrow though. Meant to be playing in the Galway Senior Scratch cup in the morning. Will the course even be open after all that rain ?

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    Finally some lighter skies here in the far southwest ... Rained for 20 hours straight

Yeah, can see a clearance on the far southwest coast now on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I'm calling 30mm in Cork.

We had a few nice downpours but longer dry spells than expected.

17:16
    11/09/2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When is it hitting the east?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just 24mm so far in Castlebar, its been raining non stop since midnight, but no real heavy downpours yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rain getting a bit more serious now here.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

3mm in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Travelled from Galway to Killarney today never seen anything like it currently like a Monsoon in Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Will the Rebel Tour cycling event (Beara peninsula) be a washout tomorrow ? (starting at 9am) :o

Its supposed to clear tonight from the south west and showers tomorrow. Roads will be in a mess id imagine tho.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Kerry Local Radio News at 17.30
    Motorists in Kerry are being advised to take care this evening as heavy rain continues.
    Rainy street
    There’s an orange rainfall alert in place from Met Éireann for Kerry, Munster and Connacht.
    The downpours are expected to continue into tomorrow morning with spot flooding in parts.

The road south of Tralee Rugby Club (towards the short mountain) and the Clahane road at Kennedy’s stables are impassable at present – avoid these roads.
    Castlemaine road Tralee (Towards the hairpin bends.) should be avoided.
    Road between Tahilla and Sneem Moll’s gap road is closed.
    Road from O’Leary cross to Knocknagoshel cross known locally as the “Mountainy road” is closed.
    Road At Carnahone Beaufort is closed

The following is a list of some of the locations where flooding has been reported or identified by Kerry County Council crews.

Castleisland to Ballydesmond road
    Cleveragh road Listowel town
    Road at Dromkeen Causeway.
    Derryquay (Dingle road)
    Tralee Castleisland Road at John A Woods
    N21 Castleisland to Abbeyfeale road.
    N71 at Dinish, Muckross
    R571 Lauragh road
    Firies Castlemaine road
    Coomanspig, Portmagee
    Ballygrennan, Listowel.
    Tullig road Castleisland
    Crag / Kilbanivane, Castleisland

Kerry County Council and the Fire service are attending to the more critical areas. We strongly advise all motorists to take extreme caution on the roads this evening.

Meanwhile, Gardaí are advising motorists to avoid going up through the Black Valley as the area to Derra-na-funsha (spelt: Derrynafunsha) is flooded.
    Gardaí in Listowel are attending the scene of a single motorbike accident on the road heading down to the ferry in Tarbert.

Listowel Gardai are also advising that the road at Tunahinall, Asdee is impassable at present
    Also there is bad flooding on the Listowel – Liselton road on the Listowel side of Inch cross.
    Tralee Gardaí have been advised of flooding at Curraheen and in Ardfert.
    The Kenmare to Sneem road is flooded, also there are reports that the Toonanooka bridge near Gneeveguilla in blocked.
    Gardai in Dingle are warning that the road from Castlegregory to Dingle is treacherous because of surface water. It IS passable, but just about – those using the road should exercise caution.

The following is an additional list of some of the locations where flooding has been reported or identified by our crews.
    • Ballinorig, Tralee – Localised Flooding
    • Ashill – Clashatlea , Tralee – Localised Flooding
    • Ahern’s Road, Caherleaheen – Road Flooded adjacent to the River
    • N86 Annagh, Tralee
    • Ardfert Village
    Listowel Gardaí say the road at Tunahinall, Asdee is impassable at present.

A section of the Tralee bypass between roundabout to the south of manor ( near the rose statue) to roundabout to Ballingarry roundabout is flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

28mm so far.

362006.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Torrential rain in cork city now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've been in hospital all week and looked forward to a bit of sun when I came out.
    I come out today to rain...who can I blame?

More rain on the way Sunday and Monday from another depression, though not as heavy as this, it will be adding to what has fallen.

FLASH FLASH FLASH

64mm/hr downpour in effect

Cork City
    18:22
    11/09/2015

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Few waterlogged pitches down in Kerry might make training more interesting for the All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Hardly any rain here and what is falling is very light.

Flooding reports coming in on the scanner.

Not surprised. !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

3.6mm total Arklow
    Currently dry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Low appears to be double-centered and inland centre is near Cork-Limerick border south of Shannon, southern centre probably coming ashore soon near Cobh. Radar indicates narrow squall line feature developing in the frontal zone between these centres and so expect possible torrential downpours next few hours from that feature moving north-northeast towards east Cork, Limerick, Tipps and west Waterford. Heavier (moderate mostly) rain will spread into much of the inland southeast overnight. The really heavy downpours from north Kerry will now redevelop over Clare and western Galway-Mayo, possibly with similar effects on local road systems as reported above in Kerry. As darkness looms, drive with extreme caution even on roads that are not normally flood-prone. Some small streams can become rivers briefly in these conditions and go well over their banks without much warning.

Will be interesting to get Meteorite58's eventual total for this round, and one can probably add 50% at least to estimate rainfall that might have fallen on some higher parts of Kerry. Anyone reporting significant totals on this thread, please give a fairly precise location not just county. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I've been in hospital all week and looked forward to a bit of sun when I came out.
    I come out today to rain...who can I blame?

Feckin hospital for keeping you in so long

Advertisement