Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rainfall alert: Fri 11th - Mon 14th Sept

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I have recorded 22.17 mm of rain at my location in Galway since 11 PM last night and it's still raining

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Torrential rain in Tralee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still feeling warm and sunny, 16C, hopefully the rain will stay clear for another few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Aerohead wrote: »
    I have recorded 22.17 mm of rain at my location in Galway since 11 PM last night and it's still raining

Looking like we've another 12 hours of it to come. Thoroughly miserable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dry in Cork now - at least it was when I looked out the window about 15 mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Getting heavier in Galway city - Rainfall Rate 17.6 mm/hr
    21.6mm recorded since midnight; 22.4mm event

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I'm expecting rain in Arklow in the next hour or two
    Currently dusty dry
    Last bit of milky suns gone in though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A big increase in rainfall totals for far western parts on the Euro4. Up to 162mm shown here, in addition to the rain before 6am this morning.

4kpLGJg.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Its been raining steadily here for about 12hrs but nothing especially heavy. Im sure by the time its over it will still add up to a big rainfall total though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its wet in Castlebar since around 11pm last night, nothing to heavy, but persistent all the same, main roads all fine, but traffic is seriously heavy around town. poor visibility also. 14 degrees. 1007.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tralee: 36mm since midnight , 60mm event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Been a long time since i saw anything like that on the 3 hour forecast http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

How long do you think till it reaches North West Wicklow? I left the clothes on the line, I won't be home until 3.15pm :eek::eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

East Waterford - dull but dry bar the odd spit. That said the radar suggests it'll be here any minute.

Any minute now ☺don't know how we're avoiding it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Interesting how the EURO4 winds up a very tight circulation.

Creates a squeeze in the isobars and swathe of very high winds tomorrow morning.

One to watch.

15091206_1106.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Still some hazy sunshine here in Dundalk with some patches of blue sky visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

1.2mm is all we got so far in north east Kilkenny.

Small 5 min burst in Arklow about 10 mins ago
    Now dry
    Nonetheless the event is closing in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Not a drop here yet, getting very close on the radar. Mowed the lawn in the dark yesterday evening thinking it would be wet by now.
    Funny how the sky is a lot darker to the east and the rain is just west of here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

All new to this weather forum but can anyone advise when or if west limerick will see the heaviest rainfall? Thanks

RobertKK wrote: »
    1.2mm is all we got so far in north east Kilkenny.

Aye, you're in a sector with a hole in the precip
    But not for long
    See attached

Currently light rain here with some micro bursts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dry here Waterford City, slowest front ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Rightly chucking it down in Cork City now - it has arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The Arpege model (french high res) also drives a swathe of intense winds across central and western Ireland

arpegeuk-11-26-0.png

arpegeuk-11-30-0.png?11-11

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have revised the thread title to indicate two concerns -- one, the current event rainfall will clearly exceed 100 mm in parts of the inland to coastal west and two, a further interval of 20-40 mm rainfall can be expected in mostly the same regions on Sunday mid-day to and Monday morning.

While I believe that a level 2 status is probably best for the majority of readers (and level 1 can be inferred for much of Leinster and Ulster), please note that some parts of west Munster and Connacht will probably reach level 3 conditions. Runoff from some areas of very heavy rainfall could reach beyond the zones of 100 mm+ into the 70-100 mm zone, so don't necessarily judge your local risk from your local rainfall totals, factor in rainfalls upstream in your drainage area.

If anything, the total rainfall through the entire period in east coast counties will be similar to earlier expectations or (in a few parts of east Ulster) a bit lower than earlier projected.

This has led to the following updated map of expected total rainfall which includes amounts already received in the west.

361985.jpg

There was some discussion about gradients for strong winds following the Saturday low's departure but it appears to me that peak winds would be in the range of 40-70 km/hr (west to northwest on west coast) and not very prolonged before a return to moderate southeast to east ahead of the Monday low.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Not surprising after so much persistent rain over the southwest.
    There’s been a landslide on the road in the Lisardboula area, one mile outside Castlemaine on the Tralee side. As part of the landslide, a tree has come down and is blocking the road. Gardaí are at the scene and Kerry County Council is en route to clear the road. The road will be closed for the next hour.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/road-outside-castlemaine-blocked-due-to-landslide-and-fallen-tree/

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Persistently heavy for the last 3 hours in South East Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Will the Rebel Tour cycling event (Beara peninsula) be a washout tomorrow ? (starting at 9am) :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just started here in Bray.

... and stopped again :)

Advertisement