Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rainfall alert: Fri 11th - Mon 14th Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Rarely see this scale being maxed out. Looks the very heaviest may manage to stay just offshore?

DM0L2qt.gif

Well its getting very heavy in Killarney at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Bucketing down in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And in Mayo !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Following is the map of rainfall amounts from both official sites and Boards weather forum posters, for "round one" of the rainfall event including late Thursday, Friday and Saturday (mostly morning, and in the northern regions). The amounts over Northern Ireland were probably in the range of 10-30 mm.

362225.png

I hope to get a similar map together after the Sunday-Monday event, so post your Sunday-Monday totals in this thread. Note to the poster from Grange, is it Grange in Meath or Grange in Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

Without going into the facts and figures, im currently in a tent just NW of Clifden. Feeling like I'm in an episode of Ray Mears. My options are to sleep in tent or a 99 Corolla, one feeling about as strong as the other at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Without going into the facts and figures, im currently in a tent just NW of Clifden. Feeling like I'm in an episode of Ray Mears. My options are to sleep in tent or a 99 Corolla, one feeling about as strong as the other at this stage.

My weather station is showing just over 10mm of rain most since about 3pm. I am just north of Clifden

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

thecivvie wrote:
    My weather station is showing just over 10mm of rain most since about 3pm. I am just north of Clifden

Really? Wild here in Claddaghduff currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

9.2mm here near Tralee so far from light spells of rain to big heavy showers and even got a glimpse of blue sky late this afternoon.

Recent heavy shower

Heaviest of the rain forecast overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Its been raining steadily here since about 2pm. For a couple of hours it was bucketing down but its eased back to more normal rate now. Unfortunately i have no devices that can measure the level of rainfall like some of you guys have. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Following is the map of rainfall amounts from both official sites and Boards weather forum posters, for "round one" of the rainfall event including late Thursday, Friday and Saturday (mostly morning, and in the northern regions). The amounts over Northern Ireland were probably in the range of 10-30 mm.

362225.png

I hope to get a similar map together after the Sunday-Monday event, so post your Sunday-Monday totals in this thread. Note to the poster from Grange, is it Grange in Meath or Grange in Sligo?

Great stuff MT! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Note to the poster from Grange, is it Grange in Meath or Grange in Sligo?

If I may speak on behalf of the poster....it is actually "Grange" in north Dublin City...close to Baldoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Next band of heavy rain making its way east over Cork City at present

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very heavy rain last couple of hours near Tralee

18mm so far

Windy too after veering to the NW

10 min avg 27kph, gust 48kph

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Readers take note, the LEVEL 1 alert applies to most of the country but it's definitely LEVEL 2 or even locally LEVEL 3 in parts of Kerry and possibly west Mayo-west Galway.

50-75 mm amounts are quite likely in some places with renewed significant flooding.

Seems like the colder than normal Atlantic SST values are showing their hand, and I think this may be just the first indications of a very stormy autumn and early winter pattern, likely to become more widespread as stronger lows develop in October and November.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had some burst of rain there about 10mins ago in Clare, I'd imagine if it keeps this up the places that were flooded Friday will be flooded again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭pauldry

Thats a great map MTC.

Newport got a downpour of 14.9mm in the middle of their wet day therefore they beat Mace Head and Valentia.

Today Cork City has seen over an inch of rain and Mace a further 30mm at least so Mace is now gone ahead of Newport for the whole weekend Id say although Valentia might have something to say.

At this rate the West Coast will have 3 stations less.

Maybe the Cliffs of Moher will just be the steps of Moher!

Also here the only total I have for my Rain Gauge today in Sligo is 5.7mm though dont know how accurate. It poured for a little while but only an hour or 2. However since the start of Friday Id say wev seen about 30 to 35mm of rain in Sligo

Currently 44mm of rain since 2pm here in Renvyle. Clifden is over 50mm. Several roads around the area are closed due to flooding and landslides

pauldry wrote: »
    Also here the only total I have for my Rain Gauge today in Sligo is 5.7mm though dont know how accurate. It poured for a little while but only an hour or 2. However since the start of Friday Id say wev seen about 30 to 35mm of rain in Sligo

It rained for a good 5 hours here in south sligo. A lot more than 5.7mm. More like 20mm plus.

Heavy rain all evening near Tralee, 26mm atm

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    It rained for a good 5 hours here in south sligo. A lot more than 5.7mm. More like 20mm plus.

Yeah could see the black clouds down that direction.

Spitted rain here around 3 and then got heavier around 530 and stopped completely at 8. Nothing like 20mm but could have been 10mm

See an interesting delevelopment on wetterzentrale where the Azores High is replaced by a storm. It stays out there for at least 5 or 6 days. What impact will this have on our weather.

Will the Azores High come to live here for a week since they have Low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Midnight Thursday to midnight tonight Sunday
    in Galway City I have recorded 63.65mm of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

My total today (midnight to midnight) was a modest 9.1 mm.

Looks to be getting pretty serious now in the SW.

362283.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm impressed with the lightness of the rain we have been getting considering 5 miles down the road they are getting 6mm plus.

Since Friday recorded 125mm of rain here in Connemara and still falling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

mg1982 wrote: »

If you don't have a rain gauge, a simply mug, with equal diameter at both top and bottom, will work just as good if left in a well exposed place. Just use a ruler to measure the amount of water in the cup after a rain event.

10322.jpg

New Moon

thecivvie wrote: »
    Since Friday recorded 125mm of rain here in Connemara and still falling

Thats a months rain in 3 days. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Very heavy rain last couple of hours near Tralee

18mm so far

Windy too after veering to the NW

10 min avg 27kph, gust 48kph

Not to mention the town was out of mains water supply due to a burst pipe for over 6 hours....water water everywhere and not a drop to drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

tis letting down an unmerciful amount of rain tonite in kerry alrite

• Advertisement

30mm here near Tralee so far for event

Thats 107mm since 18.00 Thurs.

Advertisement