Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge +

Options
12345679»

Comments

jca wrote: »
    I'd be happier with less sw updates. They never seem to really make any difference performance wise just make the phone look more and more like an iPhone. I haven't a clue what version is on mine, all I know is that it's works perfectly, good screen, good battery life etc.

That's unfortunate if you've had poor experiences in the past. I have only had good ones, and waiting almost 6 months for a manufacturer's flagship €800 device to update to the latest Android version is not good, whichever way you spin it.

If you read up just a little, you'll see that updates aren't all bad :)

Actually have no idea what your iPhone comment is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's unfortunate if you've had poor experiences in the past. I have only had good ones, and waiting almost 6 months for a manufacturer's flagship €800 device to update to the latest Android version is not good, whichever way you spin it.

If you read my post correctly I never said the updates were bad I just never noticed any performance improvements, the icons just became more like ios in appearance. The S6 is still the best phone I ever had btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Hi lads, have a Samsung S6 Edge+ and updated to the new Marshmallow 6.0.1 this morning, great job it looks way better but I can't go on the facebook app, the same fault keeps reappearing 'can't connect right now' anyone got any idea as to how I can fix this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Hi lads, have a Samsung S6 Edge+ and updated to the new Marshmallow 6.0.1 this morning, great job it looks way better but I can't go on the facebook app, the same fault keeps reappearing 'can't connect right now' anyone got any idea as to how I can fix this please?

Try to update your apps or delete Facebook and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Right guys I'm not going to get any pleasure out of posting this but my Edge plus was in for repair since last Friday and I purchased a €130 Chinese phone as a backup while it was in and since 6pm today I'm back to my Edge plus and to be honest I can't see the reasoning behind the €600 price difference, yes there's the edge screen and the slightly higher dpi and a few more megapixels but I think when my next upgrade is due I will just dump my bill and go pay as you go with the latest Chinese phone sim free.
    The main thing I loved about the Cubot H1 (the Chinese backup) was the battery, it's was 5000mah and the phone wasn't even huge, I didn't have the fear of forgetting to plug my phone in at night and not having an alarm clock, I didn't have the fear of forgetting to bring my charger to work.
    I consider myself a heavy user and I was getting over 2 days from my Cubot H1 whereas I sit here now on 24% typing this only 6 hours after taking off a full charge, that is not acceptable by any manufacturers standards and it shouldn't be accepted by the customers standards.

• Advertisement

Right guys I'm not going to get any pleasure out of posting this but my Edge plus was in for repair since last Friday and I purchased a €130 Chinese phone as a backup while it was in and since 6pm today I'm back to my Edge plus and to be honest I can't see the reasoning behind the €600 price difference, yes there's the edge screen and the slightly higher dpi and a few more megapixels but I think when my next upgrade is due I will just dump my bill and go pay as you go with the latest Chinese phone sim free.
    The main thing I loved about the Cubot H1 (the Chinese backup) was the battery, it's was 5000mah and the phone wasn't even huge, I didn't have the fear of forgetting to plug my phone in at night and not having an alarm clock, I didn't have the fear of forgetting to bring my charger to work.
    I consider myself a heavy user and I was getting over 2 days from my Cubot H1 whereas I sit here now on 24% typing this only 6 hours after taking off a full charge, that is not acceptable by any manufacturers standards and it shouldn't be accepted by the customers standards.

I'm sorta in the same boat, using the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 which I bought for €120 while I wait for the HTC 10 to come out. I'm more than happy using this phone as a daily driver. Screen is big and clear, battery life is great.

That said, cheaper phones suffer with features such as camera and fingerprint scanners. They also don't get software updates like the bigger manufacturers (although Sammy are ridiculously slow with their updates).

Basil3 wrote: »

I got the update last night, in a word, fantastic!! First time ever I've ever noticed any improvement after getting these updates. Battery life is fantastic but it's the speed at which apps open is blindingly fast. I'm delighted with it.

Another update this evening but must be minor enough, anybody else discover the game in the settings menu??

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I recently bought an S6 edge + privately which was unlocked. I can tell from the boot screen that this was originally an 02 device, I'm using a meteor sim with out issue. The phone has not been flashed or rooted, it is currently running android 5.1.1.

I presume my software updates will be pushed from 02 (three) as that is the original carrier.

can anyone on 02 / three confirm for me if the have received an software update to marshmallow yet??

Casshern88 wrote: »
    I recently bought an S6 edge + privately which was unlocked. I can tell from the boot screen that this was originally an 02 device, I'm using a meteor sim with out issue. The phone has not been flashed or rooted, it is currently running android 5.1.1.

I presume my software updates will be pushed from 02 (three) as that is the original carrier.

can anyone on 02 / three confirm for me if the have received an software update to marshmallow yet??

3 got it a good month or two ago.

• Advertisement

I'm with 3, I got the update about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Any edge plus users on nougat 7.0 yet? I hear it's starting to roll out in Europe this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Any edge plus users on nougat 7.0 yet? I hear it's starting to roll out in Europe this month.

Not yet, but yes it's on the way... 3 Ireland are getting it already

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G928F/

They also have a good spec comparison... the S6 Edge+ still holds its own IMO:

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/29/specs-comparison-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-vs-galaxy-s8galaxy-s8/

On that.. I'm on 3 myself but using UK BTU firmware and I'm struggling to remember why :)

EDIT: I'm installing it now. Will report back later

So first impressions...

Positives:
    - UI has a much cleaner feel to it, though finding where things are now can mean a bit of digging
    - The new blue light filter is much easier on the eyes at night

Negatives:
    - Have lost 1 bar of siignal on 3. It's iffy enough as it is
    - Notifications now ALWAYS pop-up with no way to disable it short of breaking out the ADB emulator (thread here) - OP has an S7 Edge in that case but same issue. The steps at the bottom of this article don't work on the 3 build. Maybe BTU was worth waiting for after all...
    - I don't game much but the one I do play seems a bit laggy since the update

We'll see.. I'll play with it some more tomorrow and if it's too much of a compromise I may just reflash 6.0.1 and wait for BTU which I had better success with on MM

Got the Nougat update from 3 over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Has anyone got a screen repaired on this? Asked a few places and its been
    >€200 to get it done.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Has anyone got a screen repaired on this? Asked a few places and its been
    >€200 to get it done.

Yep about 250 my glass is cracked and I'm leaving it that way until the Note comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Is there any value to a S6 with cracked glass or is it just a give-away?

smurfjed wrote: »
    Is there any value to a S6 with cracked glass or is it just a give-away?

If it can be fixed by just replacing the glass, it might be worth something. Replacing the screen is probably a good €200, so it might be worth €50 if you're lucky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement