Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JackSca2016

Finished my project on Wednesday, biggest weight off my shoulders. Now just the Leaving Cert 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Snazzy15 wrote: »
    will i lose any marks for not putting my exam number in the name of the folder "Student Assignment 2016 (Exam Number" but mine is just "Student Assignment 2016"
    Probably depends on the examiner, I doubt you would lose much if any. There's probably someone with better knowledge of the marking of projects though on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Snazzy15 wrote: »
    will i lose any marks for not putting my exam number in the name of the folder "Student Assignment 2016 (Exam Number" but mine is just "Student Assignment 2016"

I did the same thing, cos if I were to change the number on it, I'd have to go into each assembly and drawing and change the file destination cos it'd mess it all up, so I didn't bother. I can't imagine it matters. If the number being on the CD, the project, and the envelope the projects get put into isn't enough then idk what they want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Snazzy15 wrote:
    Just submitted all the project. However my project on memory stick is labelled student assignment 2016. However you are supposed to put it as student assignment 2016(exam number) will I lose marks

Get your teacher to rename it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Snazzy15

spurious wrote: »
    Get your teacher to rename it.
    I used a memory stick. When you plug it in and rename a file will it not say that it was used on Monday which will be passed the due date or is there a way around that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Change the date on the computer before you save anything if you want to get all technical about it. Honestly no one will pass any notice if a part's been altered a day or 2 after the cut off.

It's just the solidworks parts that the dates are checked on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Change the date on the computer before you save anything if you want to get all technical about it. Honestly no one will pass any notice if a part's been altered a day or 2 after the cut off.

It's just the solidworks parts that the dates are checked on anyway.
    And even then they'll see when files and folders were created too so if you did alter a folder on the USB after the cut off they would see it was done originally before the deadline and you probably just had to make a few changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

What did everyone get in the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sean MacUidhir

The brief this year mentions both smoothie makers and juice makers. What are your thoughts on this? Are you doing one of the two or both? Most of my class is confused about this issue. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Limerickham

Hey Sean,

The reason they seem to have included both is to give a bigger diversity of machines/devices to choose from. It also combats the student who has a smoothy maker but not a juicer at home (or the other way around) - they dont seem to acknowledge that its a fairly expensive piece of kit to get your hands on.

You won't be penalised for choosing one or the other.

For output 1 - include all info and research on BOTH
    For output 2 - You can choose 2 juicers, 2 smoothie makers or one of each.

I would highly recommend the DCG assignment guide by educate.ie
    (it wont let me post the link) search post primary books, then DCG

Think its a euro cheaper if you get the exam papers or if your teacher orders the whole class a copy.

You basically fill it in as you go along and then do up your A3 pages after you have all your information - much easier than staring at a blank A3 page for 3 months and trying to fill it!

Let me know if i can help you anymore and good luck with your project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I've finished my output 1, and I focused solely on smoothie-makers and didn't mention juicers at all. Should I change it so?

Based on the wording in the brief i would err on the side of caution and include juicers - you'll probably be grand with just smoothie makers but you wont gain top marks for that section.

You wouldn't lose marks for it in output 2 as you can only be penalised once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I would not agree with this. The / usually refers to the word 'or' which would mean juicer or smoothie maker.

I would not go back and redo your output my reading would be doing one or the other or both is perfectly acceptable

seavill wrote: »
    I would not agree with this. The / usually refers to the word 'or' which would mean juicer or smoothie maker.

I would not go back and redo your output my reading would be doing one or the other or both is perfectly acceptable

This is what I was thinking also. Hopefully it'll be grand. Thanks for your help, both of ye!

if you'd like to know for sure, get on to the SEC and ask. The chief examiner will get back to you and let you know exactly. They're usually quite quick too.

From a corrections point of view - if there are too many A's they will be looking for differences to mark down on. If a lot of people take the same approach (i.e. choose one rather than both) the people who cover both will be at an advantage.

It's completely up to yourself a to whether you think its worth going back over.

Best of luck with it

if you'd like to know for sure, get on to the SEC and ask. The chief examiner will get back to you and let you know exactly. They're usually quite quick too.

From a corrections point of view - if there are too many A's they will be looking for differences to mark down on. If a lot of people take the same approach (i.e. choose one rather than both) the people who cover both will be at an advantage.

It's completely up to yourself a to whether you think its worth going back over.

Best of luck with it

That's true, Limerickham. I think I'll look into it over the next couple of months anyway, better to be safe than sorry. Thanks a million for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sean MacUidhir

Thank you all very much for all your help! It helps a lot to have things like that cleared up early.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

Higher A1 dcg here among other 7A1s ðŸ˜႒,any questions feel free to ask?

Higher A1 dcg here among other 7A1s ðŸ˜႒,any questions feel free to ask?

I'll bite ;)

What was your project like with regards to sketches etc? Did you put much work into the project itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

I'll bite ;)

What was your project like with regards to sketches etc? Did you put much work into the project itself?

A2 lad here. I put plenty of work into the project but I cheated with the sketches. I printed out my CAD models and just traced them on A3 paper. Worked fairly well if you're rubbish at sketching, just make it look like you drew it yourself. If you've any other questions I'll answer them too.

• Advertisement

A2 lad here. I put plenty of work into the project but I cheated with the sketches. I printed out my CAD models and just traced them on A3 paper. Worked fairly well if you're rubbish at sketching, just make it look like you drew it yourself. If you've any other questions I'll answer them too.

Thanks Cathal, and well done on the A2! Mainly curious about the amount of sketches needed for output 1... Would you need a good few or will images off the internet be alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swagmire

Got an A1 as well in higher level. Got 100% on my project. Feel free to ask any questions if you want. Can post here or pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8 iiLooney

Got a question about Output 1 with regards inserting images. Im planning on doing it in pencil but I want to insert the images from the computer.

So was wondering, do I first create the document, print it out and write around these images, or could I just scan it onto the computer and somehow edit in the picture in post?

It will probably look clearer if you can position your pictures on the page, print and add everything else afterwards. (a lot of candidates do this and it looks quite well). When the page is scanned, pictures added and reprinted there are always fuzzy spots and areas where the contrast between scanned and new pictures stands out a bit too much
    Just remember in terms of sketching - you can use scans rather than original sketches in your finished document if you wish(apart from Output 3 and Output 8)

Be clear on what is your own work i.e. your own sketches, own photographs - be clear with referencing

Also to those of you wondering how many images to use - do not use images for the sake of it - make sure you have lots of sketching.

If you're putting in lots of similar images create a collage rather than trying to waste space

Sketching the blades, mechanisms, close ups of parts, exploded views should give you plenty.

Also remember not every image has to be a blender/smoothy maker. When talking about materials you can include images of the material itself rather than 7 different blenders in 7 different materials. Same for colour, target market, ergonomics etc. The corrector knows that the project is blenders......it is not a cram as many blender pictures onto my A3 sheets as possible competition!!!

Thanks for the advice Limerickham. So would you recommend having more sketches than pictures overall?

i wouldn't recommend either way, you just need to make sure that it feels balanced when you're looking at the overall sheets.

If you think you have too many images, add a couple of sketches and vice versa. Whatever you do don't collect a whole load of images and throw them in and then try to figure out where they're going - you will almost certainly have too many images and you'll find it difficult to cut back. And DO NOT and i really do mean DO NOT just decide to sketch one of your images to balance it out.......unless there was a reason to include the sketch (i.e. showing a specific detail) there's no point in sketching generic pictures of blenders - you won't gain anything for it.

If in doubt make sketches nice and big and detailed and USE COLOUR

Hope you're enjoying the project. Keep asking questions! :)

Sorry to be annoying you again with another question Limerickham! For Output 2, is it best to compare the two blenders under general headings (colour, shape etc) or to focus in on specific features of each blender (pulse button, blade assembly etc)?

No bother, sure I love dcg!!
    Compare/ contrast on EVERYTHING so general stuff and specific stuff. If there are loads of differences you could have a bullet point list for each objects individual features ( great area to fill with sketches) some people worry that they've picked 2 similar objects and some worry that they've picked 2 that are too different. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference which 2 you pick, it's about your ability to communicate the information.
    I would always recommend that whichever one isn't your solidworks should be one you wouldn't be able to do in solidworks easily ( i.e. the sketch will be difficult but show off your sketching ability)USE COLOUR
    Also make sure you adhere to page count here. Haven't got it to hand. But if it is a minimum of 2 pages again make sure you have them......the amount of people losing marks over that is sinful!

• Advertisement

No bother, sure I love dcg!!
    Compare/ contrast on EVERYTHING so general stuff and specific stuff. If there are loads of differences you could have a bullet point list for each objects individual features ( great area to fill with sketches) some people worry that they've picked 2 similar objects and some worry that they've picked 2 that are too different. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference which 2 you pick, it's about your ability to communicate the information.
    I would always recommend that whichever one isn't your solidworks should be one you wouldn't be able to do in solidworks easily ( i.e. the sketch will be difficult but show off your sketching ability)USE COLOUR
    Also make sure you adhere to page count here. Haven't got it to hand. But if it is a minimum of 2 pages again make sure you have them......the amount of people losing marks over that is sinful!

Thanks so much for your help, you're a star!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement