Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG 2016

Options
  • 09-09-2015 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Started my project 2day and i feel it has to be the worst over the last few years. what do ye make of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

What's the project topic? I did DCG last year so I'm curious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Briefs here (.pdf file)

Salt and pepper shakers for Ordinary, Taps for Higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cathal2013

"Include an analysis of contemporary taps in relation to their physical form, shape, ergonomics, materials, features, etc."
    Physical Form - The shape and structure of an object
    Shape - Spatial form, contour, or appearance
    Were supposed to look into the two of these separately

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

spurious wrote:
    Taps for Higher.
    jaysis that is c rap. Worst since lecterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

A Tap isn't as bad as it seems. I've done up a few quick ones on solidworks, which would have the potential to be high markers, with the high attention to detail.

A simple twist on a regular garden tap for example could work, showing a section view with all the intricate parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are the different types too - mix, lever operated, twist, push button etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Honestly does the person deciding it sit in a room of things in front of them and goes "Ah ha! I've got it! A tap!". I'm of the opinion they should at least give projects that people can get their hands on the required item easily. Last year was a torch, every house has one of those and buying one isn't too expensive. People in my class have had to go and buy a tap, that's 20 euro and over for a item you'll be using for a few months.

On the plus side at least there are many taps in the world or as my teacher said "as many taps as there are sinks".

• Registered Users Posts: 16 michaelk744

Can anyone give me a brief summary of the initial conception of the tap? Who invented, who used, when, why etc

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

What kind of things are people drawing for the "Freehand Graphical Representation" bit? I've got the big drawing of the tap itself, but what other things do we put in next to it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

What kind of things are people drawing for the "Freehand Graphical Representation" bit? I've got the big drawing of the tap itself, but what other things do we put in next to it?

That's pretty much what most people do, our teacher has showed us a project someone got an A1 for but he lost marks on that page. She said it would have been better to also include sketches of main parts on the page as well as a sketch of it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

That's pretty much what most people do, our teacher has showed us a project someone got an A1 for but he lost marks on that page. She said it would have been better to also include sketches of main parts on the page as well as a sketch of it all together.

So just the handle/spout/other bits on its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 michaelk744

Anyone have a link to something detailing how modern taps save water? e.g special type of spout or something

• Registered Users Posts: 9 annmarie98

Anybody know if it's okay to use a scanned version of the main freehand graphical sketch in the other sections (like compare and contrast)? Or will it need to be a new one? I have a perfect one sketched that I used in the compare section and was going to add a few sketches in around it but I'm afraid I'll lose marks. If not I'll use it as the main sketch and do a new one for compare and contrast. Thanks ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

For compare contrast you don't need to put in a full sketch of the item, here you are looking as specific parts of the object rather than the whole thing. You can use a photograph of the item on page one and a basic sketch of the overall general shape to get an idea for dimensioning, but on page two redraw individual parts of the two items

seavill wrote: »
    For compare contrast you don't need to put in a full sketch of the item, here you are looking as specific parts of the object rather than the whole thing. You can use a photograph of the item on page one and a basic sketch of the overall general shape to get an idea for dimensioning, but on page two redraw individual parts of the two items

The way I did it was put a small photo of each tap on page 1 and a small sketch of them beside it just for presentation and then on page 2 I redrew the smaller parts, just zoomed in. You hardly think they'll dock marks for using the same sketch though?

Do you mean use like screen grabs of parts of output 3 for output 2? If that is what you mean I wouldn't do that. For output two sketch the different parts again individually, away from anything else, so if you have 5 parts to your assembly, sketch those 5 parts singly onto page 2 of output 2, and compare them to the similar 5 parts in the other tap you are not doing.

I have never corrected the project but I can't see how you would get marks twice for the same sketch, it doesn't make sense

Do you mean use like screen grabs of parts of output 3 for output 2? If that is what you mean I wouldn't do that. For output two sketch the different parts again individually, away from anything else, so if you have 5 parts to your assembly, sketch those 5 parts singly onto page 2 of output 2, and compare them to the similar 5 parts in the other tap you are not doing.

I have never corrected the project but I can't see how you would get marks twice for the same sketch, it doesn't make sense

Okay basically, I sketched each tap for page one of output 2 for presentation more than anything and scanned them onto the page. Then on page 2 of output 2 I sketched the smaller parts onto the page where I'm comparing them with the other tap I chose.
    I was just confused on whether output 3 would have to be a completely new sketch or if I could use the sketch I did for page 1 on output 2, because my teacher said I probably won't be marked for the sketch in output 2 anyways, only output 3 and output 2 will be awarded for presentation. Would you advise that I use 2 different sketches for each output even though the main marks go for output 3 (sketching-wise) or will it be okay if I use the original sheet and add on a few different views so I can use it in output3 too?

Oh rite ok, I would use the good one you have done for output 3 only, (make sure you use the original here not the scanned version). Having a really detailed sketch in output 2 page 1 is needless. I personally wouldn't use the same thing twice in the same project.

I would just do a basic sketch for general shapes for page 1 of output 2, so if it was the sports bottle from a previous year, I would have a picture of the sports bottle and below it a sketch of a basic cylinder, I would then fill in the general measurements on the basic sketch

Oh rite ok, I would use the good one you have done for output 3 only, (make sure you use the original here not the scanned version). Having a really detailed sketch in output 2 page 1 is needless. I personally wouldn't use the same thing twice in the same project.

I would just do a basic sketch for general shapes for page 1 of output 2, so if it was the sports bottle from a previous year, I would have a picture of the sports bottle and below it a sketch of a basic cylinder, I would then fill in the general measurements on the basic sketch

Okay, thanks or the advice !! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

For those of you reading this, for the love of god, don't go tracing objects and passing them off as your own sketches. This is especially so with the compare and contrast. You can use the same image, just draw it at a different angle which clearly shows you haven't traced it. Tracing will result in 0 marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Raysamray

Does anyone know if all sketches need to be fully defined in solidworks? If so how many marks would you lose if you had one part of a sketch is under defined? I've been trying to finish my tap in solidworks but there just doesnt seem to be a way to fully define one of the sketches for one of my parts, however it still looks fine and the assembly looks good with everythig else fully defined. I really need to get going on the next part of the project asap but dont want to be losing too many marks on things like this, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Urbex

I have no clue wether to modify my tap or to come up with a new concept design. Any ideas?

Sketches should be fully defined where at all possible. I'd imagine the marks can't be huge but why throw away any. Try to use the fix relation of nothing else works. Maybe horizontal relation etc might work.

I encourage my students to create their own design as you can go anywhere with it.
    Remember it can be fully drawn as one part in a concept if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

how are people doing with the mechanism of the tap ? what kind are you using and how difficult are they to draw?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Snazzy15

Have just finished outputs 3 and 8 and just remembered that i used a compass. i took me approx 1 month to do the 2 of them together. will i lose marks or is it ok. the compass on only about diameter 7 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭robin321

Hi all.
    Question.

In the first part of the project, you select one of your "compare and contrast" images to sketch for the "Freehand graphical representation"
    Does this freehand graphical representation have to be the same would you do in solid works? Or can you do the other "compare and contrast" image in solid works? Because that is what I have done D:D:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭robin321

robin321 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Question.

In the first part of the project, you select one of your "compare and contrast" images to sketch for the "Freehand graphical representation"
    Does this freehand graphical representation have to be the same would you do in solid works? Or can you do the other "compare and contrast" image in solid works? Because that is what I have done D:D:

If I was to submit it like this how would I be marked can anyone tell me?

The solidworks is the same as the freehand sketching.
    I have never corrected the projects but I would imagine you wouldn't get the marks for the freehand sketching. I can't see how you would as the project is supposed to flow from output to output. It's not a series of single pages put together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sxtn

does soap/deodorant dispensers count in this project?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement