Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sxtn wrote: »
    does soap/deodorant dispensers count in this project?

I wouldn't have thought so - the brief is for a tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

sxtn wrote:
    does soap/deodorant dispensers count in this project?

No. It wouldn't work, as you'd have to draw the bottle itself and a tap on top. The bottle itself wouldn't be meeting the brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sxtn

spurious wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so - the brief is for a tap.
    yes but the definition for a tap is A DEVICE BY WHICH A FLOW OF LIQUID OR GAS FROM A PIPE OR CONTAINER CAN BE CONTROLLED. Would this not apply to soap dispensers/ optic dispenser, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Can you control the flow in a soap dispenser? or is it just push the button and a particular amount comes out.

I'd say you would have to have a very unique type that fits the brief - to me a basic dispenser doesn't fit as you can't control the flow, unless there is a certain make that does, then thats a different thing

you can control the amount in a optic dispenser though?

• Advertisement

If you really wanted to do something like that, then I'd suggest doing something along the lines of this, leaving out the rest of the bottle. You really need to emphasize your point about it being a tap, and show how it incorporates the principles of a tap.

375754893_919.jpg

I'm assuming this is for the modification part of the project? Whatever it's for you'd want to get on it fairly rapid, there isn't long left.

By optic dispenser do you mean the thing that measures out a measure of a shot or drink in a bar? If that is what you mean can you really control the flow of that? That is set to allow X ml into the container and then when you push the glass up to it, it dispenses that full amount, or that is my understanding of it anyway, is there a way of controlling or stopping that flow?

Although thinking back on soap dispenser I suppose if you only push it down a small amount, then a little bit of soap comes out, if you push it the full way a larger amount comes out, so maybe that is controlling the flow in a way.

Have you spoken to your teacher about this? Is it for the first half of the project or the second half

thanks Noccy_mondy! and yes seavill I have an optic dispenser already complete for my part b of the project and starting to worry if applies to the brief but my teacher has assured it is fine to have this in my project. I have applied a threading in my optic so that you can adjust the amount of liquid in the optic by screwing up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hart2hart

Re DCG 2016 + I've read the brief and what exactly do they mean by A3 bound. Do you bring your project to a printers to get it bound or what's the norm?

hart2hart wrote:
    Re DCG 2016 + I've read the brief and what exactly do they mean by A3 bound. Do you bring your project to a printers to get it bound or what's the norm?

Just get one of those swirly spines off your teacher, and they will probably bind it for you on the machine. An easy task. No need to take it outside school to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 hart2hart

Thank you noccy_mondy. Can I just ask an opinion - its my sons dcg project - he has it finished but while he has all his sketches and pictures etc., that are fine, the main body of the project is written in pencil and very light pencil at that and he is a tiny writer. I've asked him if it should be typed up or done in print but he says its fine and his DCG teacher doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Sorry I'm the demented mother and at 18 he knows everything.

If the teacher says it's fine then it probably is. Both typed and written are perfectly acceptable, if he wanted he could ink in whatever he has written in pencil, to make it stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Urbex

I know this is kind of a big ask but can anyone post some sort of check list of what you should have? As in how many solidworks drawing sheets, Photorealistic, rendered pictorial views etc we need for part A and B, I know it says it on the brief but I'm still confused as to what exactly our finished product should consist of, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Parker19

I was wondering how was everybody doing with the project I havent started Output 7 and the deadline is next week mainly because we had our pres before christmas. Do you have any tips for Output 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Parker19 wrote: »
    I was wondering how was everybody doing with the project I havent started Output 7 and the deadline is next week mainly because we had our pres before christmas. Do you have any tips for Output 7?
    Rushing a lot now at this point honestly. I've got a lot done but a lot not fully finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Limerickham

Check out the dcg assignment guide by educate.ie if you're in a panic it'll help with part b and referencing, also has a checklist at back

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Do you have to reference pictures and sources? I didn't see anything in the brief saying it was necessary.

You must reference all work that isn't your own so websites catalogues etc that you got pics from

You must reference all work that isn't your own so websites catalogues etc that you got pics from
    This plus you could number everything too to make it easier to see for the examiner.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks. Is it sufficient to just have a page at the end with your list of sources?

Ok, thanks. Is it sufficient to just have a page at the end with your list of sources?
    Yeah just one A3 page for references to finish off the project.

Yeah just one A3 page for references to finish off the project.

Also doesn't count as one of your 14 pages!

Day before the deadline, must've worked about 5 hours on the project today :/

Day before the deadline, must've worked about 5 hours on the project today :/
    I was up until 4am last night working on it. Tonight only have 3 pages or so to finish which are all sketches and stuff. Getting it bound in the morning then brought into me at 1pm so I can scan it in hopefully during lunch. We have DCG as the last class tomorrow too which is rather fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cathal2013

Just handed up my project there, most relieved I've felt in years. Serious weight lifted of your shoulders. There's still people in my class working at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Snazzy15

Just submitted all the project. However my project on memory stick is labelled student assignment 2016. However you are supposed to put it as student assignment 2016(exam number) will I lose marks

Handed it up as well today there, it's actually such a workload, that project. People are still working on it right now at half 6 in my school haha.

I got it done and put away at 4.30 as I had to go to get a backup flash drive. Relatively happy with it considering there was maybe only two in our class who understood what proper folder organisation actually is... You'd think the ECDL would teach people something but obviously my year is a backward step in the evolutionary process.

Only problem I had was after getting 6 hours sleep over the last two days I've now become paranoid I've done something wrong even though I know it's all ok because I've looked at it way too many times today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Snazzy15

will i lose any marks for not putting my exam number in the name of the folder "Student Assignment 2016 (Exam Number" but mine is just "Student Assignment 2016"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement