Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid sh!t you fuss over

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

When a street is pretty much deserted, I'd don't like people walking too close behind me, it freaks me out. I will actually pretend to take a call just so they will fcuk off from about me. What's really odd is when you're walking somewhere and can feel someone walking almost on your heels even though you're walking quite fast yourself, and then as soon as they get past you they suddenly start walking at the same pace as you,. Well why the fcuk did you want to get by me then you big dope?? I nick name them NCPs (needlessly competitive pedestrians).

I hate walking the same pace as people. And if I am behind people walking the same pace I get the idea I might freak them out so will quicken to walk ahead of them. But then I get tired...

I never take the top biscuit or bread slice in an opened pack.

If there is a bar handle on public toilets or bar toilets I will push/pull the door open with the end of the handle where I think less people have touched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've often thought about this but as it applies to cycling (because what else do you have to think about while cycling?)

Sometimes you'll gradually catch up with someone on a long cycle and find that the pace you're cruising at is just slightly faster than theirs. So you're behind them, but if you overtake them it would be the most excruciatingly slow overtake in history. The only option is to make a quick burst of speed to pass them and then return to your regular pace. I wonder is this what's happening?

Though that doesn't explain those absolute Anuses of Satan who will come up behind you when you're stopped at lights and plonk themselves in front of you, only to take off at a painfully slow speed and crawl up the road. So you wait and wait for a gap in traffic to pass them, then they do the same thing at the next set of lights.

It takes all my mental strength not to just reach out and push them off their bikes.
    Gods, it should be legal to beat those people with their own rear wheels.

I take a perverse pleasure in overtaking them if they're young fellas since I'm a mid 30s woman on a granny bike.

I used to fuss about stuff a lot more, but then I tried not giving a fck and it's revolutionised my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sudance wrote: »
    I Wont let strangers like builders/tradesmen use my bathroom. I lie and tell em a pack of lies, but tell them they are welcome to nip down the field....and point to the furtherst corner away.....so far away they cant work out where it is :)

I know it's your house but I really hope you're joking.

This could end up working against you one day. It's very easy to determine whether a toilet is in working order (presuming you tell them it's broken).

I know if I found out that the owner acted like that and then sent us on a wild goose chase to a phantom field (!!), my quality of work would subconsciously drop like a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Even though I know my keys are in my bag I always check my bag just before I close the door its odd because in my heart and soul I know the keys are in my bag but I still have to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Seeing a dishwasher not packed 'economically'. I'll take the time to rearrange the contents to fit an extra cup or two in.

There is a weird kind of secretive smugness once its done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't know whether it's a case of OCD, me being overly fussy, or a completely normal thing, but in the lead up to a weekend away in an unfamilar town, I ALWAYS scope out where we are staying, how long it should take to get there, and operate like clockwork in terms of figuring out how long it takes to walk from the accommodation to the main parts of town.

In fact, I am definitely overly fussy when it comes to time-keeping. If I was told we were leaving at 2PM, and we left a minute late, I would be fretting that we are running late, and everything is going to be knocked off kilter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Jan Laco wrote: »
    I never take the top biscuit or bread slice in an opened pack.

Same. I might even go as deep as to skip the first two slices!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Robsweezie wrote: »
    when im in the jacks, I use a piece of tissue to cover my hand when opening the doors and if there's none handy, then i'll very weakly grip the handle and quickly pull it. this mostly applies to toilets as they are for the most part filthy ****holes with more germs than you even know. im more relaxed in other places but will apply the tissue when I can.

On a similar note, isn't it just the stupidest thing to place the push side going into the loo, and the pull leaving. Whats the bloody point of washing my hands in this case?

I always grip the handle in the spot i think has seen the least human contact.

Mind you, i'm not sure why i do this, as i follow a 10 second rule for food on the ground.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I section off my dinner plate, vegetables in one section, potatoes in another & meat/fish in another...

I also eat my dinner in this order leaving the best part, meat/fish etc., until last.

I also prefer plain white plates & stainless steel cutlery.

I think I have a touch of OCD :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

CruelCoin wrote: »
    On a similar note, isn't it just the stupidest thing to place the push side going into the loo, and the pull leaving. Whats the bloody point of washing my hands in this case?

I always grip the handle in the spot i think has seen the least human contact.

Mind you, i'm not sure why i do this, as i follow a 10 second rule for food on the ground.....

They do it so that people exiting the loo don't open the door into someone walking past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

I can't have the volume on 13 because it freaks me out. I can't have it on 6 either. And 13 is pretty much the perfect volume when I'm watching TV at night so I usually have to have it at 12 and strain a little bit to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Robsweezie wrote: »
    when im in the jacks, I use a piece of tissue to cover my hand when opening the doors and if there's none handy, then i'll very weakly grip the handle and quickly pull it. this mostly applies to toilets as they are for the most part filthy ****holes with more germs than you even know. im more relaxed in other places but will apply the tissue when I can.

There is a local shopping center beside me, that is designed where u don't have to touch anything, unless you need to do a number 2 and sit on toilet, but once you finish in urinal, you wave you hand in front of sensor below tap and water starts running, and the hand dryer has a sensor so runs auto and there is no door to the bathrooms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Now that I think about it, I usually fuss about my toenails being even slightly long. And if my hair is over 1 CM long I want it cut right there and then.

How did you manage pre-metric?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It bothers me if my shoe laces are tied so that they press different levels of 'tightness' against my foot. They have to be as tight as each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

endacl wrote: »
    How did you manage pre-metric?

I was bald. :eek: JK.

It has nothing to do with the number 1 CM, it's just that 1 CM long hair is just too long for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I was bald. :eek: JK.

It has nothing to do with the number 1 CM, it's just that 1 CM long hair is just too long for my liking.

What's the diameter of your head? This needs an indication of proportion.

When I wash my hair I wash each individual strand separately.

I can only drive on a road that has blue cars. If I see other colour cars I have a kind of fit and begin to tear my hair out, strand by strand of course.

What else. Oh yes. I take my toes off every night. The sight of them sticking out from the end of my feet makes me feel queasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I can't bear my fingernails to grow so they have a white tip on them. The minute I see that, I have to cut them. I appreciate lovely fingernails on other women, but I can't bear the feeling of them. Especially when something gets into them like coal dust or Play Doh. Uggghh:(
    I'm fanatical about recycling, and making sure everything goes in the correct bin. The OH winds me up by shoving crisp packets or chocolate wrappers down into empty bottles. My head feels like it will explode:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Just remembered another one. If I'm buying anything in the shop, I always go for one at the back. I never pick the one at the front. It's a habit I picked up from my mum and I've no idea why she does it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

KatW4 wrote: »
    Just remembered another one. If I'm buying anything in the shop, I always go for one at the back. I never pick the one at the front. It's a habit I picked up from my mum and I've no idea why she does it!

Probably because people always pick up things from the front, have a look and then put them back if it's not wanted. So if its something like bread it'll be squished, or an item of clothing may be dirty from people mauling it. That's why I do it anyway!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Probably because people always pick up things from the front, have a look and then put them back if it's not wanted. So if its something like bread it'll be squished, or an item of clothing may be dirty from people mauling it. That's why I do it anyway!!

Nah it's because of stock rotation

When the shops are re-stocking a section, they put stuff with further out dates (i.e. fresher) at the back and move the rest to the front because the majority of people would take the front one

This reduces stock wasteage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

When going to bed I've a routine,
    Brush my teeth, mouthwash, retainer, go into room, turn on light (I close the blinds earlier) check window, close curtain, check window, straighten curtains (no gaps, must be someway symmetrical!)
    Turn off light, Plug in phone get into bed.
    The routine is so automatic I did it when I was drunk and everyone thought I couldn't find my bed with all the walking about I was doing!

I also have to make sure that if I'm the last person in the room that I turn off extension leads etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

x43r0 wrote: »
    Nah it's because of stock rotation

When the shops are re-stocking a section, they put stuff with further out dates (i.e. fresher) at the back and move the rest to the front because the majority of people would take the front one

This reduces stock wasteage

I don't think t-shirts go out of date :D but yeah, that'd be it for items with best before dates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

OCD thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Galway K9 wrote: »
    OCD thread :D

We'd prefer it it was 'CDO', everything in order like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭RayCon

When I make a sandwich I always keep the 'round' half for last

:eek: No way ... it's a batch loaf it was to be the other way round !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm quite conservative and fussy when it comes to table manners. No elbows on the dinner table, no slouching, no mouth open chewing, TV should be off, no phones/tablets/devices to hand; must-be-late divas should be given a kick up the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

x43r0 wrote:
    Only when the manager is looking at them :D it takes ages to take off all the items, put two or three in the back and then restock :o

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Sudance

I'm quite conservative and fussy when it comes to table manners. No elbows on the dinner table, no slouching, no mouth open chewing, TV should be off, no phones/tablets/devices to hand; must-be-late divas should be given a kick up the hole.

Even when I was a kid, and to this day, if I went into a house and saw someone/the family eating a meal anywhere other than at the dining table I'd always think thereafter that they had no breeding or sense of occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sudance wrote: »
    Even when I was a kid, and to this day, if I went into a house and saw someone/the family eating a meal anywhere other than at the dining table I'd always think thereafter that they had no breeding or sense of occasion.

If I had to make an occasion of getting fuel into my body on a daily basis I think I'd long since have been sent to a padded cell where I'd spend my time rocking gently back and fourth, drooling myself dry. At least there they'd just shove the food under the door and let me stuff it into my face-hole.

Advertisement