Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman finds out that her boyfriend is actually her female best friend...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

crazygeryy wrote: »
    what does a strap on feel like?
    anyone?

Depends. They can make them pretty realistic now with fancy materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Why do you think the jury disagreed?

Apparently the jury had access to FB messages showing "Kye" character in the process of setting up another woman in the same manner.

But still... To miss a swimsuit? I wonder if the victim might be mentally vulnerable and therefore not able to apply the usual amount of discernment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Well, from my experience, without saying too much, I'd know the difference between a strap-on and a penis anyway.

Maybe she didn't know the difference between a strap-on and a real penis but come on, are we expected to believe that she didn't know the difference between the shape of a woman who she had sex with, had touched, had spent over 100 hours with, had talked to by phone for hundreds of hours, who was actually her best friend etc.?

Newland lied from the beginning through her facebook posts etc. and I'm not excusing her from that. That was not cool.

If the victim claimed that she was duped after one single encounter, then I would have no problem believing her account of things. It took her 10 sexual encounters etc. before she realised she was with her best friend, who happened to be a woman. That's not believable in my book.

This thing reminds me of this joke
    Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam
    while out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned
    out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't
    happen to you.
    Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good-looking 18 or 19-year-old girls
    come over to your car
    as you are packing your shopping into the trunk. They
    both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their
    breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible
    not to
    look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say
    "No" and instead ask
    you for a ride to another Home Depot. You agree and
    they get in the back seat. On the way, they start having sex with each
    other.
    Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and
    performs oral sex on you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen October 4th, 9th, 10th, twice
    on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 28th, three times just yesterday, and very
    likely again this upcoming weekend as soon as I can buy some more
    wallets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Old Jakey wrote: »
    I'd never blame a genuine rape victim but this woman wasn't raped, she consented and maybe should arrested herself for being so fukin dumb in the first place!

I'm not denying her stupidity, but she did not consent.

She consented to sex with a man. She did not consent to sex with a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

its her personal responsibility to know who she's having sex with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

its her personal responsibility to know who she's having sex with.

Don't you know that in this modern age personal responsibility has gone out the window - unfortunately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

That is a real after hours story.
    You get the same reaction if you throw chopped up meat into a piranha infested river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I'm not denying her stupidity, but she did not consent.

She consented to sex with a man. She did not consent to sex with a woman.

Begbie should have sued :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Honestly, I don't know which is more stupid; being taken in by this 'ruse' or going down the legal avenue and broadcasting your complete idiocy to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

It's a bit harsh to analyse it by reference to the victim's stupidity.

OK, it's a highly improbable story from her side and she certainly acted recklessly.

But the more serious issue is the criminalisation as a rapist (not a con artist or mere liar) of someone who used neither force nor threats to get someone into bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3315157/Woman-duped-female-friend-sex-pretending-man-using-prosthetic-penis-jailed-8-years.html

So Gayle Newland was sentenced to eight years in prison, that's quite a long sentence for 'rape by deception'. I suppose the prosecution had evidence that we weren't privy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Yes, EIGHT YEARS for pretending to be a man...

http://www.newstalk.com/Gayle-Newland-sex-prosthetic-penis-jailed-sexual-assault-Cheshire

The same sentence that was given out in Donegal for the manslaughter of a Garda.

I know, different jurisdiction, but would that sentence be justified over here...?

<mod snip> removed unnecessary comment</mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

If this was a man who had consented to sex with a what he thought was a woman but turned out to be a pre-op transgender woman would people call it rape? Was it the blindfold that made the difference? What about all those 'I'm not actually a man, I'm woman and actually I'm not actually woman I'm a horse' stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

It's a new post about the fact that she got EIGHT years for it.

This takes it from being just a silly prank into ruining someone's life.

But I guess she'll find plenty of willing participants where she's going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So Gayle Newland was sentenced to eight years in prison, that's quite a long sentence for 'rape by deception'.

A year per inch of strap-on?

'rape by deception' just seems alien to me. I get that it's because the consent was mislead, but I still think she should have been charged with a sexual assault. This has to be a one of a kind case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Blade gunner served one year for killing someone........

smash wrote: »
    A year per inch of strap-on?

'rape by deception' just seems alien to me. I get that it's because the consent was mislead, but I still think she should have been charged with a sexual assault. This has to be a one of a kind case?

An 8 inch strap on is a bit generous in fairness, well too generous for me anyway :pac:

I find 'rape by deception' quite an alien concept myself to be honest. I just wonder where you draw the line, what if someone lies to you about their occupation or their marital status or something else along those lines which would mean that if you had known this information you wouldn't have had sex with the person, but does that then give you the right to claim that they raped you through deception? I mean if you consent to sex at the time, and as long as you're not a minor or under the influence, then surely the consent should stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

As odd as this case was, I was not expecting 8 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the other one didn't know she was a woman, I'm a six stone sylph (I'm not).

I feel so sorry for the woman convicted and sentenced. Almost every gay woman has come across at least one of the 'oh I slept with you but I'm not gay really' ladies, unfortunately this one kept the lie up regardless.

Apart from the ludicrous charge, the sentence is really excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How did she watch films with a mask on? The sentence is ridiculous though.

This story was so crazy I thought it was completely made up. It's insane to think that the woman didn't know she wasn't having sex with another woman. I mean 10 times??

I get that she consented to having sex with a man, not a woman. But if you consent to having sex with someone you should make it your business to know who the fúck they are and at least look at them before you let them have sex with you. Never mind let them have sex with you 10 times. I find it very very difficult to believe the complainant didn't know. 8 years is insane.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Threadz Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I heard of a Welsh fella that pulled a sheep on a dark and windy night. Pretending to be a ram, told Dolly to close her eyes and think of lush fields of clover, gave her the father and mother of a seeing to, but blew it when putting back on the wellingtons and Dolly saw that he was not cloven hoofed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I find 'rape by deception' quite an alien concept myself to be honest. I just wonder where you draw the line, what if someone lies to you about their occupation or their marital status or something else along those lines which would mean that if you had known this information you wouldn't have had sex with the person, but does that then give you the right to claim that they raped you through deception? I mean if you consent to sex at the time, and as long as you're not a minor or under the influence, then surely the consent should stand?

I'm not without sympathy for the concept but wonder if it criminalises something that should be immoral and not illegal. There was a story a couple of years ago about and Israeli Arab accused of rape because he had sex with a woman who had assumed he was Jewish.

psinno wrote: »
    I'm not without sympathy for the concept but wonder if it criminalises something that should be immoral and not illegal. There was a story a couple of years ago about and Israeli Arab accused of rape because he had sex with a woman who had assumed he was Jewish.

I'm inclined to agree with you, it is absolutely immoral and definitely an unpleasant thing to do to someone or to happen to you but I don't think it should be illegal. I heard about that story in Israel on boards before and I also thought that was ludicrous, apparently he didn't even tell her he was Jewish, he just lied about his name (I think it might have been Daniel?) and she assumed that he was Jewish because that is a Jewish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I'm inclined to agree with you, it is absolutely immoral and definitely an unpleasant thing to do to someone or to happen to you but I don't think it should be illegal. I heard about that story in Israel on boards before and I also thought that was ludicrous, apparently he didn't even tell her he was Jewish, he just lied about his name (I think it might have been Daniel?) and she assumed that he was Jewish because that is a Jewish name.

O'Donnell! You're secret is out. I'd always suspected that your Mama issues were that way connected. How about a few bars of Va Pensiero?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Yeah I remember that story, he never actually lied to her, he just let her assume he was Jewish, and since his Hebrew was so good, she thought he was jewish

I think he went to jail for the "crime"

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

osarusan wrote: »
    Actually, it may well be fake.

That story about the husband suing his wife has been round a while (at least 8 years older than the Examiner article), but doesn't seem to be true.

The story has been reported in different ways, usually like this:

http://entertainment.ie/wtf/Chinese-man-divorces-and-sues-wife-over-ugly-children-And-wins/227669.htm

The photo itself is a Taiwanese ad for a plastic surgery clinic.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/05/17/thinking-about-plastic-surgery-this-ad-may-make-you-laugh-or-it-could-make-you-think-twice/

Its fake

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/uglybaby.asp

Just like this story. Her best friend ? and she cant tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

nokia69 wrote: »
    Yeah I remember that story, he never actually lied to her, he just let her assume he was Jewish, and since his Hebrew was so good, she thought he was jewish

I think he went to jail for the "crime"

The case was decidedly more complex than that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_by_deception

Go to the section on Israel.

Advertisement