Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman finds out that her boyfriend is actually her female best friend...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

This is the world we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

She very clearly did consent to having sex with the individual who she had sex with.

A dangerous precedent to set (luckily, in Ireland we have not done this) in deciding this was rape or sexual assault. Where would it lead? A guy gets accused of rape when he (knowingly lying) promises to spend his life with the girl so they jump into bed together?

No she did not. She consented to have sex with a man. The perpetrator didn't lie about her qualifications, her breast size, or how good she was in bed she pretended to be an entirely different person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No she did not. She consented to have sex with a man. The perpetrator didn't lie about her qualifications, her breast size, or how good she was in bed she pretended to be an entirely different person.

And how she didn't fcuking know that it was a woman she was in a sexual relationship with is totally beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The weirdest thing about this was they used to "watch" movies together...with yer wan blindfolded !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

A ridiculous verdict in a trial that should never have seen the inside of a courtroom.

It's beyond belief that the woman didn't know her lover was another woman.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    And how she didn't fcuking know that it was a woman she was in a sexual relationship with is totally beyond me.

Yes that is perplexing, but obviously the jury were convinced of the veracity of her claims.

A ridiculous verdict in a trial that should never have seen the inside of a courtroom.

It's beyond belief that the woman didn't know her lover was another woman.

I'm completely in agreement with you. It's not like it was a one-off drunken encounter or anything. They were in a relationship. Fair enough, it was a pretty screwed up relationship but they were intimate and had spent over 100 hours in each others company.

She was blindfolded but she still had use of her hands, she could still hear her partner's voice, her smell etc.

And not only did she claim to not recognise that it was a woman's voice, the woman was actually her best friend. 100 hours and not suspect anything - no way.

It's not remotely believable that she thought she was shagging a man. The woman she was with isn't even butch, you couldn't mistake her for a man. There's no way she couldn't have known she was with a woman unless she was in a coma.

I'm completely in agreement with you. It's not like it was a one-off drunken encounter or anything. They were in a relationship. Fair enough, it was a pretty screwed up relationship but they were intimate and had spent over 100 hours in each others company.

She was blindfolded but she still had use of her hands, she could still hear her partner's voice, her smell etc.

And not only did she claim to not recognise that it was a woman's voice, the woman was actually her best friend. 100 hours and not suspect anything - no way.

It's not remotely believable that she thought she was shagging a man. The woman she was with isn't even butch, you couldn't mistake her for a man. There's no way she couldn't have known she was with a woman unless she was in a coma.

Why do you think the jury disagreed?

Why do you think the jury disagreed?

I have no idea to be honest.

Newland seemed more believable in my opinion, but to be fair, I wasn't there.

Would you believe somebody would go to a hotel, the cinema etc. while wearing a blindfold, then talk for hundreds of hours on the phone, spend 100 hours together, get intimate at least 10 times and not recognise that the person they were intimate with was a woman? I think not.

They obviously were there for all the evidence and I was not but I read all the transcrips reported in the media and from what I have read, it seems crazy to me. I mean, there's gullible and then there's absolutely not believable at all.

Maybe the jury went against the defendant because she did clearly lie at the start of the relationship by setting up the FB account using pics of a man and pretending to be a man before they met.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

To sum up this thread for newcomers:

"I wasn't there and admit to having significantly less information to hand than those that were but I'm pretty sure my conclusion is correct and they were wrong."

• Advertisement

Kev W wrote: »
    To sum up this thread for newcomers:

"I wasn't there and admit to having significantly less information to hand than those that were but I'm pretty sure my conclusion is correct and they were wrong."

Yep, your assessment of the situation does seem to be my position.

I forsee an appeal and the woman to be cleared.

I've another question, why was Newlands name released during this trial. I thought in sexual assault trials, they didn't release names unless the victim waives their right to anonimity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

I've another question, why was Newlands name released during this trial. I thought in sexual assault trials, they didn't release names unless the victim waives their right to anonimity?

Gayle Newland was the woman who pretended to be a man, not the victim.

Gayle Newland was the woman who pretended to be a man, not the victim.

Yes, I know this. I'm wondering why her name was released and the victim's name wasn't.

It's unusual for the defendant's name to be released before conviction and sometimes even after conviction when it comes to sexual offences.

Yes, I know this. I'm wondering why her name was released and the victim's name wasn't.

It's unusual for the defendant's name to be released before conviction and sometimes even after conviction when it comes to sexual offences.

If you were that woman, would you want the world to know that you were raped by another woman and were stupid enough to wear a blindfold while having sex and WATCHING TV?

I don't find it unusual at all. You can usually hear about an upcoming court case on the news and they give the names of the people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

The fact that this girl would meet a stranger completely blindfolded on numerous occasions would warrant the need for some serious help for this lass in the first place ... why is the attention on the girl who used a strap on ?? I find this whole thing absurd especially on the "victims part.

222233 wrote: »
    The fact that this girl would meet a stranger completely blindfolded on numerous occasions would warrant the need for some serious help for this lass in the first place ... why is the attention on the girl who used a strap on ?? I find this whole thing absurd especially on the "victims part.

I think they're both at fault. It's not ok to pretend to be the opposite sex in order to have sex with said sex.

The victim should have got 25 years, in a mental asylum. There she can watch TV while blindfolded in peace and also get help with her stupidness.

I think they're both at fault. It's not ok to pretend to be the opposite sex in order to have sex with said sex.

The victim should have got 25 years, in a mental asylum. There she can watch TV while blindfolded in peace and also get help with her stupidness.

Seriously, what age are you? Because that post could indicate a lot of different things about you depending on your generation.

Seriously, what age are you? Because that post could indicate a lot of different things about you depending on your generation.

So you disagree with my post? You think IT IS OK to dress up as a man and have sex with another woman, without their consent?

You DON'T think the victim is stupid for agreeing to be blindfolded while watching TV and having sex, among other things?

So you disagree with my post? You think IT IS OK to dress up as a man and have sex with another woman, without their consent?

You DON'T think the victim is stupid for agreeing to be blindfolded while watching TV and having sex, among other things?

You may have misread my post. I asked your age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

How stupid do you have to be to have sex with someone you've only talked to online while wearing a blindfold?

• Advertisement

You may have misread my post. I asked your age.

I know you did. Whatever age I am, I think that I have every ****ing right to call someone stupid for agreeing to watch TV blindfolded.

I know you did. Whatever age I am, I think that I have every ****ing right to call someone stupid for agreeing to watch TV blindfolded.

I never said you didn't. I asked your age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

She will probably do jail..............that's pretty much what the Judge said.

I'm still absolutely amazed that the other woman's evidence was found to be credible.

Jail is bad, but coming out and being on the sex offenders register? They might as well brand her forehead. It's not just jobs that'll keep you out of, theres various sports clubs and the like that vet too.

Can't understand it as regards the Judge, nor why she wasn't found guilty of the hotel incidents if she was found guilty of the others (and vice versa)

Tbh I don't even know why the woman is going to jail. The 'victim' consented, it's her own fault frankly.

Old Jakey wrote: »
    Tbh I don't even know why the woman is going to jail. The 'victim' consented, it's her own fault frankly.

Jakey that is utter bullshizzle and franklyl I can't imagine half those posting about how the victim ought to have known and it was really her fault if the genders involved were reversed.

Lord preserve us from the violent reactions we'd be reading if it had been a male whose friend tricked him into anal sex by pretending to be a woman. They'd be falling over themselves to call it rape and labelling anyone disagreed SJWs or PC-fascist or some such nonsense. We don't really need to delve into the hypothetical in fact because there are countless examples of violence and even murder perpetrated in such scenarios.

Jakey that is utter bullshizzle and franklyl I can't imagine half those posting about how the victim ought to have known and it was really her fault if the genders involved were reversed.

Lord preserve us from the violent reactions we'd be reading if it had been a male whose friend tricked him into anal sex by pretending to be a woman. They'd be falling over themselves to call it rape and labelling anyone disagreed SJWs or PC-fascist or some such nonsense. We don't really need to delve into the hypothetical in fact because there are countless examples of violence and even murder perpetrated in such scenarios.

I'd never blame a genuine rape victim but this woman wasn't raped, she consented and maybe should arrested herself for being so fukin dumb in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

what does a strap on feel like?
    anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

crazygeryy wrote: »
    anyone?

Well, from my experience, without saying too much, I'd know the difference between a strap-on and a penis anyway.

anyone?

Depends on the orifice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

anyone?
    Well apparently some people can't tell the difference!

Advertisement