Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,138 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PressRun wrote: »
    I wouldn't call anything you've said "idiotic", and I think that poster's choice of language probably wasn't the best, but people have different ways of expressing their optimism about the year to come. Just because someone doesn't want to indulge in the 'easy route to the final' talk or doesn't want to discuss September before the new year has even arrived doesn't mean that they still don't feel excited about the possibilities for the coming year. I believe there was a discussion here before about the 'one game at a time' approach and some were advocates of that. If someone believes in that approach, that doesn't mean that they're not engaging in positive thinking or are somehow more negative than someone who wants to imagine Mayo in a final now.

I think what you have said there goes straight to the point that Stoner was making about people in the long grass waiting to cut you down once your prediction does not come true.

There is no reason why any person that is optimistic about 2016 cannot sit down and explain the reasons for their optimism.

As the Mayo team have matured by being able to tune out the so called hype, I now think it's time for the Mayo fan to mature by saying "f#ck you" to the man in the long grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

This is what is pathetic

What is going on in your mind that you think that a person posting on the internet his confidence that Mayo can get to an All Ireland final is in some way going to inflate some sort of super hype bubble above in Mayo that will infiltrate possibly the most professional bunch of players we have ever seen and result in them losing their minds ?

The bit in bold in more of it.

I'm an normal citizen for God's sake, not even living in Mayo
    And I'm basing my enthusiasm on this squads history and the draw that we have in front of us.

What is so wrong with having a rational look at the year ahead and making a judgement call that that an All Ireland final is a strong possibility, all other things being equal.

You remind me of my mother
    Any time they lose a game other than the All Ireland the first thing she says is "well at least they lost now instead of getting hammered the next day"

Agggggghhhhh........

Look lad. You are in probably some spot outside Mayo where the locals take the piss out of you for so many losses and as such get wound up... cool your jets!!
    I think they have good chance next year but there are alot of of ifs.
    Look at Dublin in 2014, they got sucked into the hype and Donegal did them. I don't think Donegal were a better team but Dublin bought the hype. It is very easy for a team to buy into the hype. Now I would say Mayo seem to have sorted that through Horan.

I am very optimistic for next year but I don't need to be sprouting the final is there for the talking. We need to get our leaking/soft full back line sorted and a new player or two up front. I think Tyrone are coming and I think Roscommon will be no easy touch and who knows what else might happen along the way.. injured player, players not at the top of their game etc. That is why I say you comments are idiotic

Look leave your mother out. I don't get into any domestic situations

Look lad. You are in probably some spot outside Mayo where the locals take the piss out of you for so many losses and as such get wound up... cool your jets!!
    I think they have good chance next year but there are alot of of ifs.
    Look at Dublin in 2014, they got sucked into the hype and Donegal did them. I don't think Donegal were a better team but Dublin bought the hype. It is very easy for a team to buy into the hype. Now I would say Mayo seem to have sorted that through Horan.

I am very optimistic for next year but I don't need to be sprouting the final is there for the talking. We need to get our leaking/soft full back line sorted and a new player or two up front. I think Tyrone are coming and I think Roscommon will be no easy touch and who knows what else might happen along the way.. injured player, players not at the top of their game etc. That is why I say you comments are idiotic

Look leave your mother out. I don't get into any domestic situations

I live in Kerry and there are two things I notice.
    They have sympathy for Mayo football people, but I suspect that may be lessened the next time we beat them in the championship.
    They also have no problem looking beyond the likes of Tipp and Clare and even Cork.
    Mayo fans seem to be afraid to look beyond Connacht, even though they are clearly the best team in the province.
    Kerry folk look forward to All Ireland victory based on the team, the draw etc, Mayo folk should be looking at getting to finals based on the same criteria.

As I have said here before hype was not Dublin's undoing in 2014. They had a bad day at the office and got beaten by a better team on the day. Donegal took their chances when they came.
    If they played 10 games in the same conditions I'd expect Dublin to win the most of them.

As for Roscommon, you would expect an improvement under the new management but its still their first year and they would have to come to Castlebar to play Mayo.

And as for injuries and the like you cannot predict that, but they are a game changer, that's why I have said that this team can get to a final "all other things being equal" i.e you cannot account for injuries or suspensions for your own team and others.

I live in Kerry and there are two things I notice.
    They have sympathy for Mayo football people, but I suspect that may be lessened the next time we beat them in the championship.
    They also have no problem looking beyond the likes of Tipp and Clare and even Cork.
    Mayo fans seem to be afraid to look beyond Connacht, even though they are clearly the best team in the province.
    Kerry folk look forward to All Ireland victory based on the team, the draw etc, Mayo folk should be looking at getting to finals based on the same criteria.

As I have said here before hype was not Dublin's undoing in 2014. They had a bad day at the office and got beaten by a better team on the day. Donegal took their chances when they came.
    If they played 10 games in the same conditions I'd expect Dublin to win the most of them.

As for Roscommon, you would expect an improvement under the new management but its still their first year and they would have to come to Castlebar to play Mayo.

And as for injuries and the like you cannot predict that, but they are a game changer, that's why I have said that this team can get to a final "all other things being equal" i.e you cannot account for injuries or suspensions for your own team and others.

I think me and you are optimistic for the season ahead, its just the manner in which we like to display our optimism. You like this out spoken confidence as you see that down there and probably believe this breeds confidence. I would prefer a more low key approach. I loved Horan's approach to the one game at a time as it is very focused on the task at hand. I always got the confident vibe off him when he would come out with a line like "we are ready to go and want to show everyone what we can do" or something to that effect.

On a side note, is the star doing the night feeds or did he get off the hook :D

I think me and you are optimistic for the season ahead, its just the manner in which we like to display our optimism. You like this out spoken confidence as you see that down there and probably believe this breeds confidence. I would prefer a more low key approach. I loved Horan's approach to the one game at a time as it is very focused on the task at hand. I always got the confident vibe off him when he would come out with a line like "we are ready to go and want to show everyone what we can do" or something to that effect.

On a side note, is the star doing the night feeds or did he get off the hook :D

Horan's appointment was a watershed for Mayo football.
    He totally changed the senior setup.
    And the think one of the other options at the time was Tommy Lyons.
    The mind boggles about where we would be if that media whore took over.

If this team win a All Ireland soon then Horan gets a lot of credit.

As for star well I don't know but the story did certainly cause a lot of gossip at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Unfortunately the only way to remove yourself from over hyped territory is to win. Anything short of that will see you branded as over hyped.

I agree that good teams are isolated from this to a degree, the Mayo lads have been beaten too much to go beyond themselves IMO, that will stand to them.
    We've all heard about Cillian O'C practicing with headphones of a noisy stadium on, some of the Mayo lads have that focused distant expression, there is enough maturity in the panel.

Wrt hype in a funny way I think that the Kerry subs bench last year was as hyped up as we've seen in recent times. Absolutely fantastic players in their day however it think it was a tactic, most years they pretend they are weak when they are strong, last year they did the opposite.

Really when you look at it its the fans that we are protecting when we try to avoid over hyping, we all really hate it when it's thrown at us regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think you'd be surprised by how small Mayo is! Plenty of people would be connected to members of the panel in one or more of the ways you've suggested. :pac:

But you can say the exact same about counties such as Kilkenny and Kerry. Their players live their lives embedded in small relatively small communities, in small towns and villages. They don't get to hid in the anonymity of the big schmoke & they still have to deal with insane levels of pressure, expectation and media hype too. But in the years that they don't win Sam or Liam, they ruthlessly analyse why they lost. Then they set about fixing what went wrong the year before. There are no 'sacred cow' players who are unaccountable, or managerial decisions that don't get put under the microscope. They don't blame their defeats on hype, pressure, or what people said on the internet 9 months before.

Maybe it's just easier (as well as flippin' lazy) to blame defeats on hype, pressure, weight of expectation etc etc. Maybe, the brutality of the rigourous self examination that consistently successful counties (and I'm not including my own county in that group, not yet anyway) are willing to put themselves through, is just too unpleasant for the masses to stomach. It's far easier to blame it on something that be easily fixed, if you can only reign in the supporters expectations & find a manager that is "good at dealing with all the hype". Good luck with that ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

U21 A Final Tonight at 18:30 changed to Bekan Centre of Excellence from McHale park, as I originally posted didn't want anyone going astray :) .
    Video Steaming may also be available or Audio. Link for the streaming is here:
    http://www.localstreaming.club/mayou21-2015/
    A fair few ex Minors, U21s and fringe panellists up to Senior involved so it should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think what you have said there goes straight to the point that Stoner was making about people in the long grass waiting to cut you down once your prediction does not come true.

There is no reason why any person that is optimistic about 2016 cannot sit down and explain the reasons for their optimism.

As the Mayo team have matured by being able to tune out the so called hype, I now think it's time for the Mayo fan to mature by saying "f#ck you" to the man in the long grass.

The only "man in the long grass" I'd be worried about is the likes of Tyrone or Roscommon who might be looking to take us out while we're too busy thinking about finals.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    But you can say the exact same about counties such as Kilkenny and Kerry. Their players live their lives embedded in small relatively small communities, in small towns and villages. They don't get to hid in the anonymity of the big schmoke & they still have to deal with insane levels of pressure, expectation and media hype too. But in the years that they don't win Sam or Liam, they ruthlessly analyse why they lost. Then they set about fixing what went wrong the year before. There are no 'sacred cow' players who are unaccountable, or managerial decisions that don't get put under the microscope. They don't blame their defeats on hype, pressure, or what people said on the internet 9 months before.

Maybe it's just easier (as well as flippin' lazy) to blame defeats on hype, pressure, weight of expectation etc etc. Maybe, the brutality of the rigourous self examination that consistently successful counties (and I'm not including my own county in that group, not yet anyway) are willing to put themselves through, is just too unpleasant for the masses to stomach. It's far easier to blame it on something that be easily fixed, if you can only reign in the supporters expectations & find a manager that is "good at dealing with all the hype". Good luck with that ! :rolleyes:

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest that anyone is blaming Mayo's losses on hype or pressure (although there's plenty from outside the county that like to throw around the "choker" tag), or that they don't analyse what went wrong year to year because they don't want to think about the serious issues that are there. There is plenty of conversation had about what's missing from the Mayo set up that has little to do with fan expectation or pressure. There's been a lot of talk about the new players being brought into the fold and what they're going to add this year, for example.

Also, I'm not sure a comparison between the pressures on Kerry and Kilkenny and the pressures on Mayo are entirely balanced. Both Kerry and Kilkenny have winning traditions. Mayo are in a decades long drought. Those two circumstances are quite different.

In any case, all I was suggesting is that a 'game by game' approach would be my way of looking at things, and to be wary of those who would have an eye on taking a big scalp. You can only play what's in front of you, which is why I'd take it a step at a time.

• Advertisement

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest that anyone is blaming Mayo's losses on hype or pressure (although there's plenty from outside the county that like to throw around the "choker" tag), or that they don't analyse what went wrong year to year because they don't want to think about the serious issues that are there. There is plenty of conversation had about what's missing from the Mayo set up that has little to do with fan expectation or pressure. There's been a lot of talk about the new players being brought into the fold and what they're going to add this year, for example.

Also, I'm not sure a comparison between the pressures on Kerry and Kilkenny and the pressures on Mayo are entirely balanced. Both Kerry and Kilkenny have winning traditions. Mayo are in a decades long drought. Those two circumstances are quite different.

In any case, all I was suggesting is that a 'game by game' approach would be my way of looking at things, and to be wary of those who would have an eye on taking a big scalp. You can only play what's in front of you, which is why I'd take it a step at a time.

I am not getting into fights as we are all mayo fans and there is green and red running through us but this post by Press Run sums exactly where i would be as well... quite eloquently put!!!

Maybe for slightly different focus. There seems to be a good few lads pushing close to be starting, bench or training panel. Many of them mature in age and physique. E.g. Neil Douglas, Shane Nally, Caolan Crowe, Danny Kirby. Between these and the younger players, that are in like Coen, Durcan, Diarmuid, and then finally potential U21s like David Kenny, Duffy, Loftus, Cunniffe we are in a very good place.
    On balance at least two new starters were needed and two new bench options. We dont need another Lee Keegan/Cillian OConnor. Just some good competitive lads at Croke Park level with a bit of pace. We haven't been blessed with speed bar Higgins, Keegan and Parsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Result of the under 21 Football Final Aghamore 5-17 Moy Davitts 2-09.
    Ross Egan Man of the Match

seligehgit wrote: »
    Result of the under 21 Football Final Aghamore 5-17 Moy Davitts 2-09.
    Ross Egan Man of the Match
    He's still minor next year Ross Egan! Fergal Boland was very good also. David Kenny was composed around the middle.
    Brian Reape had three goal chances, hauled down for one and scored the other two. He is lethal for goals.
    Finally co commentator Anthony was the best I'v heard on local broadcast in that role. Dont know how he was able to pick out names and subtle skills and incidents. His delivery was devoid of waffle, get him on Midwest immediately.

New Mayo manager Stephen Rochford has named a squad of 23 players for his first game in charge which takes place this Sunday January 3rd against NUI Galway. It features a mix of youth and experience with 8 of the players named featuring in the All Ireland Semi-Final replay defeat to Dublin on Sept 5th.

A number of players are unavailable due to college commitments, injury and other commitments.

The Mayo panel for Sunday’s opening FBD Insurance League clash with NUI Galway in Elverys MacHale Park, Castlebar, at 2pm is:

Colm Boyle (Davitts);
    Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites);
    Caolan Crowe (Garrymore);
    Jason Doherty (Burrishoole);
    Andrew Farrell (Killala);
    Matthew Flanagan (Balla);
    Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber);
    Brendan Harrison (Aghamore);
    Robert Hennelly (Breaffy);
    Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis);
    Kevin Keane (Westport);
    David Kenny (Aghamore);
    Conor Loftus (Crossmolina);
    Darren McHale (Knockmore);
    Shane McHale (Knockmore);
    Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore);
    Shane Nally (Garrymore);
    Padraig O'Hora (Ballina Stephenites);
    Tom Parsons (Charlestown);
    Mark Ronaldson (Shrule-Glencorrib);
    Keith Ruttledge (Knockmore);
    James Stretton (Claremorris);
    Mikey Sweeney (Kiltane);

Good to see Evan Regan back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Gael85

New Mayo manager Stephen Rochford has named a squad of 23 players for his first game in charge which takes place this Sunday January 3rd against NUI Galway. It features a mix of youth and experience with 8 of the players named featuring in the All Ireland Semi-Final replay defeat to Dublin on Sept 5th.

A number of players are unavailable due to college commitments, injury and other commitments.

The Mayo panel for Sunday’s opening FBD Insurance League clash with NUI Galway in Elverys MacHale Park, Castlebar, at 2pm is:

Colm Boyle (Davitts);
    Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites);
    Caolan Crowe (Garrymore);
    Jason Doherty (Burrishoole);
    Andrew Farrell (Killala);
    Matthew Flanagan (Balla);
    Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber);
    Brendan Harrison (Aghamore);
    Robert Hennelly (Breaffy);
    Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis);
    Kevin Keane (Westport);
    David Kenny (Aghamore);
    Conor Loftus (Crossmolina);
    Darren McHale (Knockmore);
    Shane McHale (Knockmore);
    Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore);
    Shane Nally (Garrymore);
    Padraig O'Hora (Ballina Stephenites);
    Tom Parsons (Charlestown);
    Mark Ronaldson (Shrule-Glencorrib);
    Keith Ruttledge (Knockmore);
    James Stretton (Claremorris);
    Mikey Sweeney (Kiltane);

Good to see Shane Nally involved. Remember him as attacking wing back for Mayo minors in 2008. How come he never featured under Horan?

Good to see Evan Regan back :)

Yeah! I'm going to try and get out to see the match and check out the new arrivals, but not sure yet if I'll be able to make it. So glad things are starting to get going again after a tumultuous time off though!

Yeah! I'm going to try and get out to see the match and check out the new arrivals, but not sure yet if I'll be able to make it. So glad things are starting to get going again after a tumultuous time off though!
    Regan will be with UUJ.

• Advertisement

Regan will be with UUJ.

Yup. I'm sure he'll be back in the mix later on.

I wonder is there any likelihood the game won't go ahead on Sunday if the rain continues at it's current rate.The under 21 game was probably switched for the same reason.McHale park has not a great record when it comes to withstanding such deluges of rain in spite of much improvements in the pitch/drainage.

I wonder is there any likelihood the game won't go ahead on Sunday if the rain continues at it's current rate.The under 21 game was probably switched for the same reason.McHale park has not a great record when it comes to withstanding such deluges of rain in spite of much improvements in the pitch/drainage.
    What is the best proper size pitch for this weather? Bonniconlon? Lahardane? Most pitches are too low lying. On limestone ground like in Shrule/Kilmaine/The Neale the water can simply drain down through the stone usually. But when saturated that process stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I was wondering that myself when Iheard the U-21 match was moved to Bekan. Saving MacHale for Sunday or else it was unplayable? In fairness there has been some serious rainfall the last 6 weeks or so :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Gael85 wrote: »
    Good to see Shane Nally involved. Remember him as attacking wing back for Mayo minors in 2008. How come he never featured under Horan?

Ya im also glad that shane nally is getting another shot at it. If he steps it up a gear i think he's definately good enough and has the ability to make it back into this mayo team again.
    Looking forward to our first match back out again on sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 No Extradition

No Extradition is looking forward to Mayos 2016 league campaign. Rochy has introduced a couple of new lads to the league setup, they are several first team members included. NUIG have seven or eight Mayo lads that make up the team.

Happy new year to one and all! Hopefully 2016 will bring some joy. I've had a few drinks and I'm feeling very giddy about the coming year! Can't wait for the championship to get going again!

Can someone going to the U21 Mayo match post up a brief match report? Would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

No updates at all, none that I can find anyway. Mayo GAA has nothing on twitter

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    No updates at all, none that I can find anyway. Mayo GAA has nothing on twitter
    Maybe local streaming can take onboard all those matches at U21 and Fbd.
    Same three personel would be perfect Adrian Hession, Anthony Jordan (get him on Midwest please) and Frank Flynn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement