Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Apart from fluid intake and sun block, does anyone have any advice on cycling in warm weather - 30C?

Make the most of it.

Apart from fluid intake and sun block, does anyone have any advice on cycling in warm weather - 30C?

Bring some form of isotonic drink or additive. Dioralyte does the trick.

If you are sweating loads you will need to replace the salts you are sweating out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dervla Murphy brought two things when she was cycling around Afghanistan in the 1960s: a spare pair of nylon knickers and a spare nylon shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

- 30C is warm? In the South Pole maybe but you'd hardly be cycling there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Dervla Murphy brought two things when she was cycling around Afghanistan in the 1960s: a spare pair of nylon knickers and a spare nylon shirt.
    And a pistol, but I don't think that'd help with the heat :pac:

Getting out early and avoiding midday would help with the worst of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thailand direction. :) It's 26C there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Thailand direction. :) It's 26C there now.

Maybe a spare pair of nylon knickers and a spare nylon shirt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Does nylon work better than polyester, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=41326
    Saw these on offer and thought they would be good for v hot weather, esp if fair-skinned. That's if you are still here and planning a trip. Not much use if you're already out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Oh FFS. I really don't get the need for this:

http://road.cc/content/news/164413-bike-shop-allegedly-offering-spouse-receipt

I suppose it's great if you need that kind of thing but when did people have to go sneaking around like children to get things they want with their own money? I mean if it's not coming out of the families mouths/joint budget for other things what's the feicin problem? I just don't get it! :rolleyes:

ETA: which is even beside the point of it being called the 'wife receipt' which doesn't exactly fill me with joy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

gadetra wrote: »

ETA: which is even beside the point of it being called the 'wife receipt' which doesn't exactly fill me with joy...

Because it's mostly men trying to hide the real price from their wife.

Raam wrote: »
    Because it's mostly men trying to hide the real price from their wife.

It's also sexist as hell.

It's also sexist as hell.

The name or lads hiding the real price?

The name or lads hiding the real price?

Name. It a) assumes women don't understand how much bike things cost cos they don't cycle and b) as a consequence perpetuates the idea of cycling as a MAMIL activity. It also assumes men to be 'henpecked' or childishly hiding away secret spending form their wives which is sexist against men. It basically reinforces tired gender stereotypes and perpetuates inequality. IMO.

Lads or ladies hiding the real price still makes no sense to me. Why if you're an adult can you not spend your money on whatever you want after you have met your communal financial responsibilities?

Name.

Lads or ladies hiding the real price still makes no sense to me. Why if you're an adult can you not spend your money on whatever you want after you have met your communal financial responsibilities?

Cos I suppose a spouse might not be too happy with the amount spent. Some folk are like that. Don't tell them how much you spent... problem solved... no dramas.

Cos I suppose a spouse might not be too happy with the amount spent. Some folk are like that. Don't tell them how much you spent... problem solved... no dramas.

Having to creep around, either hiding stuff away or pretending stuff cost less than it did though, I mean come on! That's drama no? I guess I just don't understand the kind of relationship where that's necessary. People are just weird I suppose.

If my OH got a load of expensive cycling things the biggest issue would be me 'borrowing' them. :pac:

Gadetra, you know the way that everybody else thinks your odd sock charade is wierd and wrong? Accept this for what it is in the same vein that everybody else has accepted you.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Gadetra, you know the way that everybody else thinks your odd sock charade is wierd and wrong? Accept this for what it is in the same vein that everybody else has accepted you.

Ha ha ha! I have chalked it down to people are weird :D

Having to creep around, either hiding stuff away or pretending stuff cost less than it did though, I mean come on! That's drama no? I guess I just don't understand the kind of relationship where that's necessary. People are just weird I suppose.

If my OH got a load of expensive cycling things the biggest issue would be me 'borrowing' them. :pac:

I can only speculate as I don't know the parties involved, but perhaps the partner, whose sex is irrelevant, is secretly hiding the fact that their job is insecure and they might be fired. So whilst the partner spending dosh on bike stuff thinks everything is fine, but the partner with the job worries doesn't want to offload that worry on to them just yet and their frustration manifests in giving them grief for buying expensive stuff. So the biking partner doesn't understand the grief, has no worry about money (yet) and just wants a quiet life so they say "Oh this old thing? Just a couple of hundred quid".

Just a guess though.

I can only speculate as I don't know the parties involved, but perhaps the partner, whose sex is irrelevant, is secretly hiding the fact that their job is insecure and they might be fired. So whilst the partner spending dosh on bike stuff thinks everything is fine, but the partner with the job worries doesn't want to offload that worry on to them just yet and their frustration manifests in giving them grief for buying expensive stuff. So the biking partner doesn't understand the grief, has no worry about money (yet) and just wants a quiet life so they say "Oh this old thing? Just a couple of hundred quid".

Just a guess though.

Yeah that's very understandable, but you hear it ALL the time, everyone isn't permanently on the brink of unemployment though? The gendered nature of it was what irked me first.

Anyway, it's just a different way of being, quite apart from mine, it is what it is. I just couldn't understand it. I don't need to though!

• Advertisement

Yeah that's very understandable, but you hear it ALL the time, everyone isn't permanently on the brink of unemployment though? The gendered nature of it was what irked me first.

Anyway, it's just a different way of being, quite apart from mine, it is what it is. I just couldn't understand it. I don't need to though!

I sense a deep-rooted feeling of hurt following lies told to you in the past. It helps to talk about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I've already told you you're not allowed on the bikes.

Zyzz wrote: »
    I've already told you you're not allowed on the bikes.

I totally went out on them behind your back.

I sense a deep-rooted feeling of hurt following lies told to you in the past. It helps to talk about these things.

Never had a hurt filled lying moment (in that context), but my feminist senses tingled and it all flowed from there :pac:

Never had a hurt filled lying moment (in that context), but my feminist senses tingled and it all flowed from there :pac:

I'm on the turbo so I'll be brief... stop reading road.cc. It's fúcking shíte. They publish drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Now I'm getting worried.

Just back from 30k around the park and both my kit and I are bone dry...I feel like not breaking a sweat is a sign I need to change up my training significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Name. It a) assumes women don't understand how much bike things cost cos they don't cycle and b) as a consequence perpetuates the idea of cycling as a MAMIL activity. It also assumes men to be 'henpecked' or childishly hiding away secret spending form their wives which is sexist against men. It basically reinforces tired gender stereotypes and perpetuates inequality. IMO.

It's not really that hard to imagine.

There may possibly be a discussion about a new Kitchen/Car/Garden/Kids collage etc etc. As you might have put it... future "communal financial responsibilities"

One partner convinces the other "communal funds" are better spent "elsewhere" for the greater good of the family or that there isn't enough in the fund.

Said partner walking into the house a few weeks later having blown a lot of dosh on a personal luxury item, such as a new bike or Jimmy Choo shoes, is probably not a good thing.

I'm imagining that's kind of how it pans out.

I wouldn't be looking into it much deeper than that.

Jimmy Choo shoes, is probably not a good thing.

I'll buy those god-damn shoes if I want.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Now I'm getting worried.

Just back from 30k around the park and both my kit and I are bone dry...I feel like not breaking a sweat is a sign I need to change up my training significantly.

Go back out now; it's raining ;)

• Advertisement

Feminist senses. There's a misnomer if ever there was one.

BOOOOM!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement