Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster schools league/cup 2015/2016 senior&junior

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Yeah it seems fairly counter productive if it's going to decrease playing numbers. Though I suppose they could still play with their local club?

I think there should be allowance for people that go to a school that has no rugby team or a rugby team at a very low level. Otherwise there's a risk of losing them completely to GAA or Soccer. At that age lads like to be playing with their school friends and there's a chance they may not have a local rugby club.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stevie777

Yeah it seems fairly counter productive if it's going to decrease playing numbers. Though I suppose they could still play with their local club?

I think there should be allowance for people that go to a school that has no rugby team or a rugby team at a very low level. Otherwise there's a risk of losing them completely to GAA or Soccer. At that age lads like to be playing with their school friends and there's a chance they may not have a local rugby club.

The problem for the boarding schools is that any of their pupils who are impacted by the "20 month" rule would also not be able to play with their club for a 2 year period. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Stevie777 wrote: »
    My understanding is that the "20 month" rule is being applied in a very blunt way. The original intent may have been to prevent kids being poached on scholarships into the big rugby schools, but the impact of the rule has been much broader than this. In some cases kids who switched schools and are paying full fees have been prevented from playing Senior Cup rugby. Also, the duration of the rule means that they are excluded for 2 years. Seems very unfair.
    I don't see this as a bad ruling. No-one is being prevented from playing rugby. Anyone who moves can still play club rugby. Paying fees and moving is still part of the issue
    It seems to me that the rule was highly influenced by that Blackrock team of 2014 where there were something crazy like 5 or 6 players in the starting 15 that weren't in the school in first year. I know that a lot of schools are at it but seems like Blackrock were the major offenders. Does seem a shame that other schools not abusing the system lose out because of one or two schools' actions.

My understanding was that there was to be no movement between tier 1 schools themselves, does the 20 month rule also apply to someone moving from a non tier 1 school, say for example somebody who played club rugby but who's school only played GAA, into a tier 1 school?
    No schools are losing out. The rule certainly does apply for those who move from "non tier 1 schools" to "tier 1 school".

It wont decrease playing numbers though. The kids will still be able to play rugby in a club. There shouldn't be any allowance. If someone is talented enough to be looked at by one of the top rugby schools and is angling a move of school to play rugby they certainly will already be playing rugby in a club and the club losing out on a player is huge especially if they have represented their region/province in talent ID games
    The problem for the boarding schools is that any of their pupils who are impacted by the "20 month" rule would also not be able to play with their club for a 2 year period. Caught between a rock and a hard place.
    Students who moved school and went to a boarding school would still be able to play with their club. Ive refereed countless teams in Connacht that have kids playing who attend Cis Roscrea etc and the kids play in both Roscrea and their home club. Its doable...

It wont decrease playing numbers though. The kids will still be able to play rugby in a club. There shouldn't be any allowance. If someone is talented enough to be looked at by one of the top rugby schools and is angling a move of school to play rugby they certainly will already be playing rugby in a club and the club losing out on a player is huge especially if they have represented their region/province in talent ID games

I would have thought that the priority should be on doing what is best for the child, rather than what is best for a club or a school. When a rugby playing 16 year old changes school, how do you decide whether they are moving for rugby reasons or for other reasons?

I would have thought that the priority should be on doing what is best for the child, rather than what is best for a club or a school. When a rugby playing 16 year old changes school, how do you decide whether they are moving for rugby reasons or for other reasons?
    You regularly do and we have to protect both strands of the game at age grade.
    The schools are crippling underage club rugby in North Munster so why should we let the non exempt schools do worse to clubs in the rest of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Andrews could potentially upset Michaels IMO. Michaels really are nothing special this year.Fairly big pack though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

funtime93 wrote: »
    Andrews could potentially upset Michaels IMO. Michaels really are nothing special this year.Fairly big pack though.

Andrews have a couple of nifty centres and went well in the league but I'd be surprised if they could beat michaels.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

How do people think CBC will get on against Gerrards? Has their league form been good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

How do people think CBC will get on against Gerrards? Has their league form been good?

Gerards beat Monkstown in the league by about 15 points

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Have the numbers declined in Clongowes recently? Heard from family that they only have three teams in first year, which for a boarding school with over 100 students is quite poor.

I don't know where you're getting the 100 number from, it's about 70 per year if I remember correctly.

It's possible that they aren't enforcing the compulsory rugby rule as much anymore. There's been quite a large overhaul in administration over there in the past few years with the Jesuits completely handing over the running of the place to regular people.

• Advertisement

Paddy Power Leinster Schools Senior Cup Odds
    Blackrock College 2/5
    St Michaels College 9/1
    Newbridge College 50/1
    Belvedere College 7/2
    Roscrea 9/1
    Kings Hospital 66/1
    St Marys College 7/1
    Kilkenny College 25/1
    St Andrews 66/1
    Terenure College 7/1
    Gonzaga College 50/1
    St Gerard's 66/1
    Clongowes Wood College 9/1
    CBC Monkstown 50/1

Venues for games announced - all in Donnybrook bar Kilkenny and Roscrea which is on in Portarlington RFC and Gonzaga and Vinnie Murray finalist which is on in Terenure RFC

Connacht schools draw is on this Friday in Connacht Hotel before Connachts challenge cup game

Venues for games announced - all in Donnybrook bar Kilkenny and Roscrea which is on in Portarlington RFC and Gonzaga and Vinnie Murray finalist which is on in Terenure RFC

Connacht schools draw is on this Friday in Connacht Hotel before Connachts challenge cup game

Do you have a list of all the fixtures??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tixel

CCR win the senior league tonight, defeating Kilkenny college 22-17. Good game.

Do you have a list of all the fixtures??
    All on Leinster domestic rugby website....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Tixel wrote: »
    CCR win the senior league tonight, defeating Kilkenny college 22-17. Good game.

rematch in first round of the cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It some tight turnaround on games for the Vinnie Murray lads
    4 games in 20 days :eek:

And the pleasure of Rock for one of them in the first round proper :eek:

All on Leinster domestic rugby website....

Can't find the Dates & Venues on the website. Please post a link.

It some tight turnaround on games for the Vinnie Murray lads
    4 games in 20 days :eek:

And the pleasure of Rock for one of them in the first round proper :eek:
    There should really be group stages in these competitions and they should start pre Christmas...
    Can't find the Dates & Venues on the website. Please post a link.
    Its very easy to find it go to fixtures/results and go to schools drop down and cups and theyre there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

There should really be group stages in these competitions and they should start pre Christmas...

I agree
    Even a good side is going to really struggle to get past round 1 of cup proper playing that much rugby in such a short time period.

• Advertisement

I agree
    Even a good side is going to really struggle to get past round 1 of cup proper playing that much rugby in such a short time period.
    With intensity of these games and then going on to play first round of main cup...

Connacht schools draws are on the below link. 2 groups of 5 in the senior schools and then a group of 5 and 2 groups of 4 in the senior development
    and 2 groups of 5 in junior schools with 2 groups of 5 and 2 groups of 4 in junior development and 7 schools in 1 group in the junior emerging competition.

http://community.connachtrugby.ie/draw-made-for-the-top-oil-schools-cups-201516/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cuprugby333

Any results from today?

Any results from today?
    St Michaels 21 RBAI 5, Campbell Belfast 21 Ballymena Academy 15

Ulster schools cup due to start toay with one game but game off due to weather

Roscrea won schools league double after winning junior schools league
    They beat CBC Monkstown 27-3 in final in Donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Roscrea won schools league double after winning junior schools league
    They beat CBC Monkstown 27-3 in final in Donnybrook

30-3 was the final score. There won't be a schools rugby cup left in Dublin.😄😄

• Subscribers Posts: 41,195 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

whats does the T stand for in JCT and SCT?... is it "team" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

sydthebeat wrote: »
    whats does the T stand for in JCT and SCT?... is it "team" ?

Yep. People tend to misuse it which can lead to confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Is Leinster Junior Cup u15 and a half or u16?

gazump123 wrote: »
    Is Leinster Junior Cup u15 and a half or u16?
    Under 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Leinster13

Under 16

Do you have to be under 16 at a certain time of the year? January is it? Would you know for next season, 2016-2017, what would be the cut off date for being under 16?
    Thanks

Advertisement