Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces September 9th event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

The litany of devices that now require charging is off the wall. in addition to phones, MacBooks and iPads you now have to charge your watch, your pencil and your remote control!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sozbox wrote: »
    The litany of devices that now require charging is off the wall. in addition to phones, MacBooks and iPhones you now have to charge your watch, your pencil and your remote control!

So true. :D

I have the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and am a big fan of large screens/stylus (sorry, pencil) input. So might have to drop a few hints as Christmas approaches about the iPad Pro (might also have to remortgage the house).

A bit underwhelmed by the 6s, will probably stick with my 5s for this generation nothing grabbing me there as a compelling upgrade. Then again, that's to be expected for the 's' refresh cycle.

Roll on Watch 2. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

squonk wrote: »
    I'm a software dev and can't really see the point of the iPad Pro. Seeing as the thing is called a 'Pro' model and all of Apple's other Pro models like the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro are pretty decent pieces of gear with plenty of power and flexibility for the heavyweight user, making a bigger iOS device and tagging the Pro moniker onto it is a bit baffling.

A 13" iPad is just unwieldy and if I'm going to shell out 1200 on a device like that, I want to be able to run XCode and have access to plenty of tools for my work. The only way I could really accept this was if the device ran OS X. If it did run OS X it'd be an absolute killer proposition. Right now though I can only see it being of use to Creatives, some on-the-go managers and the medical profession. Microsoft's Surface seems like a much better proposition if you're looking to get a notebook style tablet.

The rationale for this product seems to have been based on releasing something to compete with the Surface yet realising that OS X is never going to be touch-ready. The solution: make a 13" iPad and throw iOS on it.

I really do hope there's an OS XI in development that bridges the gab between iOS and OS X for touch devices. Based on yesterday's announcement I can see the MacBook Air being phased out in a year or two when actually there's no way on earth that the iPad Pro can replace it.

Otherwise, the keynot wasn't a huge surprise. I'm excited about the Apple TV which I'll probably buy but it needs a compelling app right now. Games for me aren't a huge deal. A Plex client would be enough for me to open the wallet though. That being said, they have to hope that App developers really open up this thing because otherwise I might be better off spending my €200 on a small form factor PC and running Plex on that with the advantage of a good desktop class PC under the telly too when I want to use it. As a package though in itself the Apple TV is quite nice, especially with the supplied remote. It's disappointing however that we'll not be getting Siri. Surely Siri suport is something for the app developers to build in. I know we don't have Hulu/HBO Now etc. here but we've got Netflix so being able to search Netflix via Siri would be good enogh for me. For new products like Apple Pay I can accept a tiered rollout where adoption has to happen and infrastructure has to be put in place. Siri has been around for a while now however and I'd much prefer curtailed Siri functionality at this point in Ireland than simply no Siri functionality.

The iPad pro is not for you. If you need Xcode use a Mac. Eventually Apples lowest price Mac book will come down in price, probably to be as cheap or cheaper than the highest priced pro.

Are tablets useful for real professional work, not really I think. Surface aside but that hasn't set the world on fire.

Missing Siri on the ATV is very disappointing. I suppose it would work for me as I have a UK credit card.

HiGlo wrote: »
    I'm back in the stone age with a 4s but was gonna upgrade to a 6 recently. I held off then when it got close to the announcement in the hopes that it would drop a little in price (through Vodafone) but do you guys reckon the price won't change much?
    At the moment it's €299 on the price plan I'd go for, but that's too expensive for me. :(

Surely it will drop the day the 6s is on sale.

• Administrators Posts: 53,467 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wonder if the 6 will be able to do the live photos with the software update, or if it requires special camera firmware only available on the 6s.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

irishmover wrote: »
    The RRP for the iPhone 6S plus is $1529 AUD here. I just bought myself an LG G4 for $569.

Damnit if only I had waited out until the announcement.. Id still buy the LG G4 again.

I like Apple, I have three apple devices and buy into their easy UI for usual day to day stuff, Lightroom and also IT work stuff. However, that price for a phone is crazy. I think this will be the first time where people finally go price conscious and their sales will suffer for it.
    Apple need to up their game, very disappointed. Like nothing really new or ground breaking here and it seems they are still living off past glories.
    Was going to get the new apple TV but its just too expensive to justify it, so I will just get the older one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jank wrote: »
    I like Apple, I have three apple devices and buy into their easy UI for usual day to day stuff, Lightroom and also IT work stuff. However, that price for a phone is crazy. I think this will be the first time where people finally go price conscious and their sales will suffer for it.
    Apple need to up their game, very disappointed. Like nothing really new or ground breaking here and it seems they are still living off past glories.
    Was going to get the new apple TV but its just too expensive to justify it, so I will just get the older one.

People say the same thing every year. The apple goes and sells 10s of millions of them every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

godtabh wrote: »
    People say the same thing every year. The apple goes and sells 10s of millions of them every year.

Time will tell but they are taking the piss at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

does anyone think the 5s will come down in price?

The best in concern trolling.

• Advertisement

Time will tell but they are taking the piss at this stage.

It's the same price as last year. Which sold vastly more than the year before

Most people buy on some kind of contract. Also expect their phone rental program to go worldwide eventually.

ec18 wrote: »
    does anyone think the 5s will come down in price?

Yes. All older iPhones drop in price eventually. Not sure why people expected it today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A few thoughts on yesterday’s announcements:

iPhone 6s: It'll require consistent third party adoption to succeed but 3D touch is a pretty killer feature imo. Of all the big features introduced with the s-phones (Siri, Touch ID, etc), it’s the one I find the most tempting. I was worried about the implementation but based on the demo I think they nailed it.

Apple TV: This is a “Shut up and take my money”-type product for me. While rights and regional issues will probably hold back its full potential for a long time, a tv App Store is huge and provided the API isn’t too restrictive, should address most of the issues people had with previous versions of Apple TV.

iPad Pro: A somewhat compromised announcement I think. It would worked better as part of a iPad-focused keynote with new Airs, etc. The screen is just too large for most people. As for the “it should run OS X” complaints, well it does. iOS is an extremely slimmed down version of OS X designed for touch devices. I agree that the iPad version of iOS needs to advance beyond the iPhone version, but I think even Apple are starting to come around to this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I had pretty much exactly the same impressions overall with the above. For me the event was about finally seeing the updated Apple TV OS, and they didn't disappoint.

I found the whole TV thing strange though, firstly the storage capacities. I fully expected Apple to do the usual thing and skimp on storage. Instead they offered 32GB as the entry, and a 64Gb version for just $50 more. I was hoping for 16GB as entry level but had a feeling they'd launch it with 8GB. With those storage capacities, prices and the one purchase across all devices for apps it makes it really appealing for me.

The storage situation doesn't follow the Apple way though, especially since they've announced all apps have to fall under 200MB in size and download additional assets on demand. Seems like 32GB is already plenty of storage. Just seems unusually generous for Apple, i'm half expecting some sort of catch to be discovered before it's release.

I'm looking forward to getting one as soon as it becomes available though. i've a feeling the entry level 32GB will be €199 when it's launched here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Darkslide

iPad Pro: A somewhat compromised announcement I think. It would worked better as part of a iPad-focused keynote with new Airs, etc. The screen is just too large for most people. As for the “it should run OS X” complaints, well it does. iOS is an extremely slimmed down version of OS X designed for touch devices.

But it doesn't. It runs a mobile OS that's restricted by not having a file system and by not being able to install what you want on it etc.

It's great for some things, but iOS doesn't come close to OS X so the iPad Pro's potential is restricted. In fact, a hybrid OS for such a device would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

It's the same price as last year. Which sold vastly more than the year before

Most people buy on some kind of contract. Also expect their phone rental program to go worldwide eventually.

It's the same price in US and UK. Everywhere else it's more expensive.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/10/iphone-6s-and-plus-priced-higher-usd/

Are you trying to justify the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

My thoughts on the event (I tend to post a bit in the thread before hand and then nothing during the event and then read back).

1. Watch

Nice updates, Product RED band is a must buy for me, nice colour options on the bands and nice gold/rose gold additions on the sports. Hermès options are not for me but interesting, custom watch faces? that must be coming in watchOS 3. Jeff Williams the presenter was a little nervous and seemed unrehearsed.

2. AppleTV

This is a great update, almost like the original iPhone release in ground breaking-ness but with a tougher battle to tackle. The iPod broke down the music industry with relative ease. This Apple TV is a step in the right direction but I fear that it'll be version 3 or 4 of this generation of the Apple Tv before it really revolutionises the TV industry. Apps will be a great transition, games look great and siri looks amazing!

I'm a iOS engineer and within a two hour window I'm now a tvOS engineer.

The Apple TV is a must buy.

3. iPad

I feel the Pro is a good machine running a proper OS. iOS is a very capable OS and it's something that us who are super familiar with traditional desktop/laptop computing might see as weird/odd. As someone who writes software for these things, the iPad Pro is not for me but that's ok, as a reader, the Amazon Kindle isn't for me but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a place. I can't play traditional windows games but why is that a problem, there's a whole generation now that realise that what we call traditional is old boring and akin to greyscale TV.

The pencil looks great, Yes we all know what Jobs said, but back then an iPad wasn't a feasible device to make. Yes the Surface had a stylus (anyone remember the Apple Newton) and a keyboard cover (these have existed for iPads since the first iPad, just Apple didn't make them). At the end of the day they are accessories and they are essential to a subset of users and that's that. The pencil looks great to play with, not for me as I don't have an artistic bone in my body again maybe not the device for me but that's ok!

The mini 4 looks like a great machine, as an owner of the mini 2, i'm sorely tempted to buy one, the added TouchId and split screen

4. iPhone

Solid update, iPhone users are in two camps, the tick camp and the tock camp. I'm in the tick camp I'm happy with my 6 and i'm not tempted by the 6S but I'm extremely looking forward to these features in 12 months times. 3D touch is useful looks a little slow but that could just be for illustration purposes.

New colour is always welcome, Rose Gold looks a bit more like a muted pink, looks nice in fairness I'd love it with a black faceplate.

Live photos was my favourite feature, sure yes Google done this with Auto Awesome, but tbh it sucks in comparison they feel janky and slow. Live photos look fluid look awesome and are a great addition to the Lock Screen and the Apple Watch face.

5. OS X
    Demoted to an email, September 30th. Finally it will hopefully fix the disaster is Yosemite

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Did you stop reading after the first five words of that article?

Graham wrote: »
    Did you stop reading after the first five words of that article?

No? It's the most expensive iPhone to date in Australia. Apple is blaming it on the AUD doing terrible in comparison to USD but what about when it was 1:1 a couple of years ago? Was still more expensive in AUD than in US back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭OU812

5. OS X
    Demoted to an email, September 30th. Finally it will hopefully fix the disaster is Yosemite

Thy do you think Yosemite is a disaster ? I've never had issues with it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How much is a sim free unlocked Samsung Galaxy S6 in Australia?
    Or more importantly, how much with the Galaxy S7 be when released just after Xmas in their yearly cycles? You'd swear apple are the only phone company that changes their phones with small tech breakthroughs every year.

kceire wrote: »
    How much is a sim free unlocked Samsung Galaxy S6 in Australia?
    Or more importantly, how much with the Galaxy S7 be when released just after Xmas in their yearly cycles? You'd swear apple are the only phone company that changes their phones with small tech breakthroughs every year.

I dont have a Samsung either. I disagree with both of their prices. But I think it's cheaper.
    Still doesn't make it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I dont have a Samsung either. I disagree with both of their prices. But I think it's cheaper.
    Still doesn't make it right.

Don't you know you have to pick a side around these parts :)
    It all gets a bit 'Oasis or Blur' around announcement time.

symbolic wrote: »
    Don't you know you have to pick a side around these parts :)
    It all gets a bit 'Oasis or Blur' around announcement time.

Well in that instance I like both but slightly more Oasis if I had to pick!

I think the S6 Edge 64gb is RRP $1299 here by the way. So comparable prices.

Darkslide wrote: »
    But it doesn't. It runs a mobile OS that's restricted by not having a file system and by not being able to install what you want on it etc.

But if companies start building the apps you need to carry out your work then you'll be sorted? Like Microsoft and Adobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

symbolic wrote: »
    But if companies start building the apps you need to carry out your work then you'll be sorted? Like Microsoft and Adobe.

Then you would have to buy them apps and not magically find them on your Mac ;).

Then you would have to buy them apps and not magically find them on your Mac ;).

I'm lost ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OU812 wrote: »
    Thy do you think Yosemite is a disaster ? I've never had issues with it...

Caused havoc in small wifi networks in work with 20-40 devices. Constantly dropping wifi to main AirPort Extreme routers and only got marginally "better" in the last 3 months.

A few thoughts on yesterday’s announcements:

iPhone 6s: It'll require consistent third party adoption to succeed but 3D touch is a pretty killer feature imo. Of all the big features introduced with the s-phones (Siri, Touch ID, etc), it’s the one I find the most tempting. I was worried about the implementation but based on the demo I think they nailed it.

Apple TV: This is a “Shut up and take my money”-type product for me. While rights and regional issues will probably hold back its full potential for a long time a tv App Store is huge and provided the API isn’t too restrictive, should address most of the issues people had with previous versions of Apple TV.

iPad Pro: A somewhat compromised announcement I think. It would worked better as part of a iPad-focused keynote with new Airs, etc. The screen is just too large for most people. As for the “it should run OS X” complaints, well it does. iOS is an extremely slimmed down version of OS X designed for touch devices. I agree that the iPad version of iOS needs to advance beyond the iPhone version, but I think even Apple are starting to come around to this view.

The whole point of the the future of TV is apps is to avoid regional issues. Just get the BBC ( and other tv apps on iOS) to build for tvOS in the UK store and connect up to the search API, and you're done.

• Advertisement

We were taking about the 6 dropping in price not the 6S. As for the price Apple should take hits in margins in certain cases, but probably they don't need to here.

Advertisement