Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces September 9th event

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,571 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Overall very impressive, though some of the things they presented and tried to pass off as their own was funny. The keyboard cover for the iPad Pro is a blatant rip off of the Surface keyboard cover (including the magnetic connector) and the live images for the photos is something Nokia put on their windows phones a few years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

awec wrote: »
    Overall very impressive, though some of the things they presented and tried to pass off as their own was funny. The keyboard cover for the iPad Pro is a blatant rip off of the Surface keyboard cover (including the magnetic connector) and the live images for the photos is something Nokia put on their windows phones a few years ago.

Did they claim to invent or be first to market with either technology?

Graham wrote: »
    Did they claim to invent or be first to market with either technology?

Just the usual "unlike anything else" stuff you hear at these things. Except the live photos thing looked pretty much exactly the same as it did on an old win phone I had, including the previews when scrolling through the gallery.

FWIW the feature itself is really good but is limited by the fact you can only share the live photos with other people who have devices capable of viewing the live photo. In this case only people with an iPhone 6s will be able to view them (for everyone else they'll just be normal photos).

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

FWIW the feature itself is really good but is limited by the fact you can only share the live photos with other people who have devices capable of viewing the live photo. In this case only people with an iPhone 6s will be able to view them (for everyone else they'll just be normal photos).

You can view them on other apple devices, I assume with IOS 9 or El Capitan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I wonder will the shooting of live photos be supported on older iOS devices, technically I can't see any limitations other than maybe battery drain, but surely newer iDevices could be fine with this. I've a feeling Apple will try to keep it as an exclusive to try sell the newer iPhones though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

godtabh wrote: »
    I'm pissed with the iPhone 6 prices

Yep, I feared this time would come and I'd have to take a pull. The 64gb 6 will do me for the foreseeable. That €/STG exchange rate is pure poxy.

That iPad Pro price is just crazy. People here have been saying that they should be comparing it to the Surface Pro as both are at the same price point. But with 32 GB of storage and 2 GB of ram vs the i5, 8GB of ram and 128 SSD in the Surface Pro is just no comparison. Not to mention Micro SD and USB ports. No idea why anyone neutral would choose it over the Surface Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

That iPad Pro price is just crazy. People here have been saying that they should be comparing it to the Surface Pro as both are at the same price point. But with 32 GB of storage and 2 GB of ram vs the i5, 8GB of ram and 128 SSD in the Surface Pro is just no comparison. Not to mention Micro SD and USB ports. No idea why anyone neutral would choose it over the Surface Pro.

Why is the i5 a better chip that the A9? And probably the needs of iOS in terms of ram are much less than what's effectively the full windows.

The 32Gb is a bit stingy but you can go higher.

Why is the i5 a better chip that the A9? And probably the needs of iOS in terms of ram are much less than what's effectively the full windows.

The 32Gb is a bit stingy but you can go higher.

Sorry the only reason I mentioned the i5 is because the A9 chip is limited to max of 2GB ram. But no matter how more efficient some may or may not think it is, it's not gonna be as effective at multitasking as something with 8GB of ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Darkslide

Sorry the only reason I mentioned the i5 is because the A9 chip is limited to max of 2GB ram. But no matter how more efficient some may or may not think it is, it's not gonna be as effective at multitasking as something with 8GB of ram.

Not only that, but for the money I'd want a proper file system too. There's just no comparison.

• Advertisement

No idea why anyone neutral would choose it over the Surface Pro.

The Surface is hardly flying off the shelves even without competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Battery life is the same as the 6?

Think I'll wait until the 7 comes out next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Darkslide wrote: »
    Not only that, but for the money I'd want a proper file system too. There's just no comparison.

The surface pro is a fully fledged OS as well, while the iPad is just iOS. The iPad Pro looks ridiculous with the same grid arrangement as the other two smaller models.

Just seeing that the 6 s plus has grown 20g to 192. It wasn't light to begin with, but that's a serious weight for a phone now. It doesn't sound like much, but you'd definitely register that increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

The RRP for the iPhone 6S plus is $1529 AUD here. I just bought myself an LG G4 for $569.

Damnit if only I had waited out until the announcement.. Id still buy the LG G4 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Was hoping to see a bigger price drop on the 6 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have a surface pro 2 myself picked it up a few months back 2nd hand with the keyboard and pen for 320 euros on ebay and it was one of the best things that I have bought as it is so handy having a full windows OS on your tablet and the thing is crazy fast as well with 4GB of ram and a intal i5 I only got the 64GB one but that was quickly fixed with a SD card for another 64GB.

If the iPad Pro had the full mac OS yes I would buy it tommarow but with the iPhone os nope I won't as if I am spending nearly 1k I won't a proper OS. As my surfore pro had windows 8.1 when I got it and have updated to windows 10 and it's the perfect os as there is a botton that swaps from tablet to pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Imagine there won't be much of a price drop for the 6 between here and Xmas?

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Imagine there won't be much of a price drop for the 6 between here and Xmas?

Nah I doubt it.

The most recent old gen of iPhone is still typically in high enough demand for people who can't justify the cost of the absolute latest.

if I am spending nearly 1k I won't a proper OS. As my surfore pro had windows 8.1 when I got it and have updated to windows 10 and it's the perfect os as there is a botton that swaps from tablet to pc.

The iPad has a proper OS, I think you might be confused as to the meaning of OS.

You could probably describe iOS as a consumer OS but it's an OS none the less. Sales of iOS devices would suggest that it's the right choice of OS for consumer/prosumer devices particularly given the increasing consumerisation of IT and growth in BYOD models in the corporate world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Sorry I don't class the iPad os as proper os for me is for me it''s just a big iPhone. As there is so much more I can do on my surface pro compare to a iPad it's endless as for the type of use I need out of a tablet the iPad is a bit useless to be fair for me. One of the best things my surface pro has is a kickstand on the back of the tablet that I can use with our with our my type cover on it.

I use my surface pro for programing, playing the full proper football manger, I can plug in my xbox or ps4 controlor to play games from old video game consoles and the likes. I can do move my proper work between my mac and surface pro no problem as both run the full version of apps onlike the iPad.

Anyone who has used my surface pro has wonted one as you have a small little power house that I's the same size of the iPad but the main thing's people like about it is the fact it runs a proper version of windows and there is no slow down what so ever on it when your running full apps. I can use the surface pro as a tablet or a full pc with one botton you can't do that on the iPad Pro.

I have had 2 tablets before my surface pro I had the 1st iPad when they came out but I ended up giving it to my mother as didn't like it at all and then I got a nexus 7 and I didn't use it as I couldn't do the stuff I wonted it to like what I was able to do on my mac.

I don't even compare the surface pro to a iPad I would compare it more so to a mac book air.

Apple done a big mistake by not putting OSX on the iPad Pro as if it had OSX I would buy it the day it comes out as I love the Mac OS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Was hoping to see a bigger price drop on the 6 tbh.

Me too.

Still going to buy it so I've sold my 6

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm a software dev and can't really see the point of the iPad Pro. Seeing as the thing is called a 'Pro' model and all of Apple's other Pro models like the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro are pretty decent pieces of gear with plenty of power and flexibility for the heavyweight user, making a bigger iOS device and tagging the Pro moniker onto it is a bit baffling.

A 13" iPad is just unwieldy and if I'm going to shell out 1200 on a device like that, I want to be able to run XCode and have access to plenty of tools for my work. The only way I could really accept this was if the device ran OS X. If it did run OS X it'd be an absolute killer proposition. Right now though I can only see it being of use to Creatives, some on-the-go managers and the medical profession. Microsoft's Surface seems like a much better proposition if you're looking to get a notebook style tablet.

The rationale for this product seems to have been based on releasing something to compete with the Surface yet realising that OS X is never going to be touch-ready. The solution: make a 13" iPad and throw iOS on it.

I really do hope there's an OS XI in development that bridges the gab between iOS and OS X for touch devices. Based on yesterday's announcement I can see the MacBook Air being phased out in a year or two when actually there's no way on earth that the iPad Pro can replace it.

Otherwise, the keynot wasn't a huge surprise. I'm excited about the Apple TV which I'll probably buy but it needs a compelling app right now. Games for me aren't a huge deal. A Plex client would be enough for me to open the wallet though. That being said, they have to hope that App developers really open up this thing because otherwise I might be better off spending my €200 on a small form factor PC and running Plex on that with the advantage of a good desktop class PC under the telly too when I want to use it. As a package though in itself the Apple TV is quite nice, especially with the supplied remote. It's disappointing however that we'll not be getting Siri. Surely Siri suport is something for the app developers to build in. I know we don't have Hulu/HBO Now etc. here but we've got Netflix so being able to search Netflix via Siri would be good enogh for me. For new products like Apple Pay I can accept a tiered rollout where adoption has to happen and infrastructure has to be put in place. Siri has been around for a while now however and I'd much prefer curtailed Siri functionality at this point in Ireland than simply no Siri functionality.

I got 650 for iPhone off a guy on done deal now if he turns up awesome

squonk wrote: »
    I'm a software dev and can't really see the point of the iPad Pro.

I use my surface pro for programing

The iPad has always been a consumer device, it is probably fair to suggest you're not the target market. IMO Apple is better off to keep targeting the growing consumer/prosumer market than chasing the Surface Pro niche market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Pretty underwhelming event by Apple standards. The iPad Pro really is a case of the Emperor's new clothes.

The only thing that stood out to me was the upgrade plan. Hopefully it will be rolled out WW.

You can't say the iPad Pro is a consumer device when the demos on stage where clearly aimed at enterprise and business customers.

Creating business presentations, designing magazines and medical uses for doctors. There is nothing consumer about any of that.

Compare to the iphone demo. Instagram, emails, photos etc.

faceman wrote: »
    Pretty underwhelming event by Apple standards. The iPad Pro really is a case of the Emperor's new clothes.

The only thing that stood out to me was the upgrade plan. Hopefully it will be rolled out WW.

Some carriers here already do that. Vodafone have an addon to their price plans that allows for a new phone every year.

Not sure of the exact details of it.

You can't say the iPad Pro is a consumer device when the demos on stage where clearly aimed at enterprise and business customers.

All bog standard home/office use, that's its target market. The vocal minority shouting for OS X are just that, a minority.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some carriers here already do that. Vodafone have an addon to their price plans that allows for a new phone every year.

Not sure of the exact details of it.

You lost me at Vodafone! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I'm back in the stone age with a 4s but was gonna upgrade to a 6 recently. I held off then when it got close to the announcement in the hopes that it would drop a little in price (through Vodafone) but do you guys reckon the price won't change much?
    At the moment it's €299 on the price plan I'd go for, but that's too expensive for me. :(

Advertisement