Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Massive rainfall totals yesterday (26-02-2016)

Roches Point - 46.1mm
    Moore Park - 24.6mm
    Cork Airport - 21.3mm
    Belmullet - 18.3mm
    Valentia Observatory - 12.8mm
    Johnstown Castle - 11.7mm

Wow escaped here thankfully
    Isn't 46 a warning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

km79 wrote: »
    Wow escaped here thankfully
    Isn't 46 a warning ?

Well I did not see a rainfall warning on Met Éireann's site at all yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

lots of houses flooded near the mouth of Cork Harbour-Crosshaven and Fountainstown amongst others due to the heavy rain and snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

rbelmc wrote: »
    lots of houses flooded near the mouth of Cork Harbour-Crosshaven and Fountainstown amongst others due to the heavy rain and snow

Disaster for those involved. Like I posted early this week the last thing the country needed was rain or snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Disaster for those involved. Like I posted early this week the last thing the country needed was rain or snow.

We could do with a good dose of snow here in Dublin, that's for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tomorrow will be the last largly calm and dry day for awhile with wet and windy unsettled weather from Monday. I see a good shot of rain Monday into Tuesday for the West , quite blustery going by present models Tues evening into Weds morning.

qNrhiR2.gif

PDwc7Lb.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cool and dry with a light wind and low humidity in London, should produce a good running game with less handeling errors then the last outing , for Ireland of course :) .

C'mon Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nice snow day in the Comeragh mts

Since the Met Office has released early figures for Winter 2015 / 16 for the UK, I thought I'd release mine as well:

Rainfall

December: 210.2mm (350% of the LTA)
    January: 112.0mm (190% of the LTA)
    February up to the 27th (expect to rise Monday): 53.4mm (124% of the LTA)

Winter: 375.6mm (230% of the LTA)

December 2015 was the wettest December and month on record for Grange beating October 2011 by 16.3mm. January 2016 was the second wettest January on record behind 2014. February is unremarkable for rainfall though and was the wettest since 2014 also. Winter as a whole has been the wettest on record beating 2013 / 14 by 10.2mm.

Temperature

December: 8.5c (+4.4c above the LTA)
    January: 5.2c (+1.2c above the LTA)
    February: 4.2c (+0.2c above the LTA)

Winter: 5.9c (+1.9c above the LTA)

December 2015 was the warmest December on record for Grange smashing the previous record in 1988 of 6.6c. January 2016 was the warmest since 2002 but it was unremarkable for the exceptionally high minimum temperatures overnight on the 23rd and 24th which broke records. February 2016 was very unremarkable temperature wise with no exceptionally low or exceptionally high temperatures. February was still the coldest since 1986 despite being slightly warmer than normal. Winter as a whole has been the fourth warmest on record behind 1988 / 89 (6.4c), 1997 / 98 (6.2c) and 2011 / 12 (6.1c).

Sunshine

December: 53 hours (113% of the LTA)
    January: 75 hours (183% of the LTA)
    February: 82 hours (117% of the LTA)

Winter: 210 hours (133% of the LTA)

Sunshine has come of big surprise to me and I'm sure it will shock everyone else too. Each of the Winter months has been sunnier than normal here with January particularly sunny. December was sunnier than normal but it was still the dullest since 2002 comparing with recent sunny ones such as 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2014. January was the fifth sunniest on record behind only 2015, 2010, 2011 and 2003. February was the sunniest since 2004. Winter as a whole has been the sunniest since 2010 / 11. This Winter sunshine wise has been very comparable to Winter 2013 / 14 because many places were dull that Winter compared to Grange being sunnier than normal (except December was duller than normal then). Apart from December which had only 3 very sunny days (days with 3 hours or more), there has been a large amount of very sunny days fairly distributed throughout the season with January recording 13 such days (the fourth highest on record).

So Winter had a strange combination like 2013 / 14 with wet, warm and sunny conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

South Kerry 400 asl.. the mountains were an utter glory yesterday morning, the fragile snowline lower than I have ever seen it; will try to post photos later. Thought more of you would have had snow and taken photos. The cold is stultifying. Excuse fragility.. a sudden death in the family in India.. only 28 zxv87l.jpg2qs1b82.jpg4vrek6.jpg4h5co1.jpg The distinction between cloud and snow is hard to define...But utterly lovely...

• Advertisement

One for RobertKK and other farmers.. I was at the top of the Healy Pass t'other day in a bitter freezing wind. Almost getting blown over and was transfixed watching this ewe grazing.. How she stayed on the rock and not falling ....My heart was in my mouth! 24d4zgn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bright blue sky. Not a cloud in sight. Warmth in the sun and little breeze. Spring is here is every way. Birds preparing nest sites, buds swelling, crocus open, all is well with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bright blue sky. Not a cloud in sight. Warmth in the sun and little breeze. Spring is here is every way. Birds preparing nest sites, buds swelling, crocus open, all is well with the world.

Sure is :)
    But then look at tomorrow :(

It looks like there will be a possibility for snowfall in northern regions on Wednesday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

managed about 15 minutes worth of wet snowfall here throughout this winter. 5th failed winter in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Tis snowing quite heavily, ground white yet again, was not expecting anything but rain, 0.6C dp. -1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Still coming down, 2 inches lying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Snowing here now in north meath, everywhere wet again, so not staying, come back dry sunny days

Chilly wet morning up here. South Kerry 400 asl. Grey sky, grey air, mountains thickly veiled.. No wind. Just grey and chilly. Quietude. Bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Snowing here now in north meath, everywhere wet again, so not staying, come back dry sunny days

Still snowing and starting to stay, grass is white, driveway was wet, but now starting to turn white, if it was only december

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

rbcqdc.jpg

Donegal East this morning

As expected late last week, it's wet wet wet. A sleety rain getting more like true rain by the minute.

2c and little wind. Just a typical late February wet day ahead. The mountain tops are white but it's only a skiff of colour with no substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Sleety rain in drogheda. u can only see it on the windscreen.

Well at least I enjoyed one full week of dry weather - the only time this Winter I got a full week (22nd-28th February). Now back to typical Irish weather - on and off rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Driving to Navan this morning. Snow starting to settle from Dunshaughlin onwards!

Edit: must have passed thru hilly terrain as its back to rain closer to Navan! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

1 inch of snow covering the grass in Leitrim this morning.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well at least I enjoyed one full week of dry weather - the only time this Winter I got a full week (22nd-28th February). Now back to typical Irish weather - on and off rainfall.

Yes, just what I thought this morning. At least I finally got then lawns cut.

The water table remains very high and the ground is already waterlogged. Puddles forming in fields around me as I type.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ongarboy wrote: »
    Driving to Navan this morning. Snow starting to settle from Dunshaughlin onwards!

Edit: must have passed thru hilly terrain as its back to rain closer to Navan! :-(

that's strange all that ive seen here is rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Luggala outside Roundwood just now...

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's strange all that ive seen here is rain!

Dunshaughlin itself is at about 100m ASL but between there and the Skryne area, the M3 rises to over 130m so that small increase in elevation may have been just enough for snow to have been present.

Leaving home this morning at 07:00 and at about 90m, there was icy rain/sleet. About 1km away as the crow flies, at the top of the hill about 50m higher, it was big flakes of snow. Wasn't sticking at the time but I'd say it might have a while later when the precipitation got heavier.......evaporative cooling and all that jazz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement