Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

€470 fully comp Zurich, down €80

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Anyone have any coments on / experience with AIG as a car insurer? They're coming out best for quotes for me so far. Currently with Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mardyke wrote: »
    Anyone have any coments on / experience with AIG as a car insurer? They're coming out best for quotes for me so far. Currently with Aviva.

I'm with Murphy insurance. Can't beat them on price. Murphywontpay.ie #youareonyourown #ireland #cheapinsurance

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Age - 27
    Car - 14 Ibiza
    5 years NCB; 5 year Full licence;
    Cover - Comprehensive + step back bonus protection
    No claims/convictions etc

Renewal for FBD was 520€ originally but got them down to 480€.
    its4women 324
    Zurich 550
    Liberty 578
    AXA 714

Very happy with the its4women quote. Wasn't expecting to get one as low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Age - 27
    Car - 14 Ibiza
    5 years NCB; 5 year Full licence;
    Cover - Comprehensive + step back bonus protection

Renewal for FBD was 520€ originally but got them down to 480€.
    its4women 324
    Zurich 550
    Liberty 578
    AXA 714

Very happy with the its4women quote. Wasn't expecting to get one as low.

324 that's a great quote I hope they're as nice to me in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Car: 2017 Mercedes Benz C 200d
    NCB 9+
    Cover: Comprehensive + Full protection
    No claims / No Penalty points/ No convictions

Renewal time and it was €680 with 123.ie

Did some quotes

Chill insurance €501
    Quote Devil €540
    AXA €690
    AIG €650
    AIB €660
    Its4women €730
    BOI €600
    TheAA €640
    Liberty €590
    Aviva €620
    Post Office €600
    FBD €705

Tried 123.ie as a new customer and my quote was €480 so I rang them up and said i want the new quote and not the renewal, not a problem and so for the first time in a long time my insurance came down significantly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Supposedly theres a bill to try stop this dual pricing nonsense, however insurance companies will probably default to the more expensive quote as a result.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0217/1197583-insurance-bill-dail/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Supposedly theres a bill to try stop this dual pricing nonsense, however insurance companies will probably default to the more expensive quote as a result.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0217/1197583-insurance-bill-dail/

Dual pricing is a scourge, but it is not confined to insurance. Gas, Electricity, Broadband, Mobile, Sky etc should all be forced to ditch the practice

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Perinho

Car: 2003 Honda Accord 2.0 i-vTec Exec saloon
    NCB 1 year + 4 years named driving experience
    Cover: TPF+T
    No claims / No Penalty points/ No convictions
    Last year 123.ie: ~€950
    Renewal: €927.26
    FBD: €608.51

I do qualify for 10% discount with FBD as I've another policy with them.
    Tried Chill, AIG, Liberty and broker. Broker was cheapest ~770.
    Chill / AIG / Liberty all >€1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Perinho wrote: »
    Car: 2003 Honda Accord 2.0 i-vTec Exec saloon....

...FBD: €608.51

I do qualify for 10% discount with FBD as I've another policy with them.
    I'm wondering how you got a quote of FBD as a new motor insurance customer as I know they have an an age limit of 10 years old on passenger cars for new motor insurance customers. I thought they were quite firm on this even if it was the case that they had you on their books as a customer for an alternative general insurance?

Still, your not going to argue I'd imagine. Seems a decent price given the model, the age and the fact that you only have one years NCB in your own name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Age - 20
    Car - 2014 Ford Fiesta 65bhp
    9 Months named driver - Can't use with any insurance provider however
    Cover - Comprehensive
    Location - Cork

Axa 1138 (951 TPFT)
    Allianz 3242
    FBD - No Quote
    Aviva - No Quote
    AIG - 1.3k but need a box
    Its4woman - 1.3 but need a box
    Liberty - 2.2k, 2.8k without an additional driver

Only passed test in January and wont have my full year of named driving experience until May, so the Axa offer in comparison to every other one is very good I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Age - 20
    Car - 2014 Ford Fiesta 65bhp
    9 Months named driver - Can't use with any insurance provider however
    Cover - Comprehensive
    Location - Cork

Axa 1138 (951 TPFT)
    Allianz 3242
    FBD - No Quote
    Aviva - No Quote
    AIG - 1.3k but need a box
    Its4woman - 1.3 but need a box
    Liberty - 2.2k, 2.8k without an additional driver

Only passed test in January and wont have my full year of named driving experience until May, so the Axa offer in comparison to every other one is very good I think!

Is that with the drive save tracker app?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Is that with the drive save tracker app?

Nope I didn't want any apps or anything just did normal car insurance, not young driver!

Nope I didn't want any apps or anything just did normal car insurance, not young driver!

This rate is very good then, I’m ex-Axa staff (after 15yrs) thus bit surprised at rate without the app, but many things contribute to their u25 rate like parents discount, other Axa policy at same address & friend-family rates of staff members.

If ya need it double checked then ya can PM me, and no I’m not snooping for sale.commission as currently man of leisure

All the best either way

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Demosthenes

29 Year old male.
    08 Qashqai 1.5 D
    3 Years No Claims

AA 1285
    BOI 1830.41
    Chill -RSA 1022
    Chill -Liberty 1042
    Chill -Ivernia 1047
    Chill -Allianz 1086
    Chill - Axa 1326
    AIG 1458
    Liberty 845.4
    Aviva 1269.62
    Axa 1019.4
    FBD 1469.93
    Its4Women 1294.54
    Zurich 819.25
    25plus 1382.14
    GMIB 1467.73

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Year 3:
    27yo
    151 1.5L Diesel Ford Focus
    2 Years No Claims
    1 Year Full License
    Comprehensive

€620 - Liberty Direct (Renewal)

I got the Liberty Renewal down to:
    €520

So, renewal time. Major change here as I had a claim at the end of December (damage to my own car, at least 6.5k in repairs).

With 0 years no claims, renewal came out to €930 with Liberty. I'm shocked it wasn't higher - was expecting close to 2k.

29 Year old male.
    08 Qashqai 1.5 D
    3 Years No Claims

AA 1285
    BOI 1830.41
    Chill -RSA 1022
    Chill -Liberty 1042
    Chill -Ivernia 1047
    Chill -Allianz 1086
    Chill - Axa 1326
    AIG 1458
    Liberty 845.4
    Aviva 1269.62
    Axa 1019.4
    FBD 1469.93
    Its4Women 1294.54
    Zurich 819.25
    25plus 1382.14
    GMIB 1467.73

Can I ask are you late to driving as only 3yrs ncb or were you a named driver or international driver prior to then,?
    Just trying to see if eligible for higher ncb scale

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

wonski wrote: »
    Good News!

Licence: Full Irish 9 years
    NCB:10 years
    Car: 2005 Volvo s40

Without named driver: 450

With brother as named driver (42 years old) : 413

Insurer: 123, tpft policy. Sold.

There is a bit of a waiting going on as my policy is due on 28/03 and my 3 penalty points are to be gone on 28/02.

So I can't buy it now online, but will try to phone them tomorrow to see if this can be bought over the phone as the points will be gone by the time the cover is in force.

Alternatively stay quiet for a month and just buy online.

I might just go for the second option reading it again.

Current insurer is Allianz, not sure what they will come up with, but I doubt the can match it.

Full Irish License: 10 years
    NCB: 11 years
    Car: 2006 Alfa GT 1.8 petrol

Renewal with 123, tpft with Road Assist and Step Back ncb protection.

€404 if renewed online.

I don't think it can get any better than that tbh. Happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Any insurance companies more kind towards relatively fast cars like a Fiesta ST. Planning on switching when I got two years no claims

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Anywhere more insurance companies more kind towards relatively fast cars like a Fiesta ST. Planning on switching when I got two years no claims

Your insurance shouldn't be dear for that car but that is also dependent on your age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Full Irish License: 10 years
    NCB: 11 years
    Car: 2006 Alfa GT 1.8 petrol

Renewal with 123, tpft with Road Assist and Step Back ncb protection.

€404 if renewed online.

I don't think it can get any better than that tbh. Happy enough.
    Make sure you ring them and tell them you've a quote at least 50 euro cheaper. They can almost always do better.

kippy wrote: »
    Make sure you ring them and tell them you've a quote at least 50 euro cheaper. They can almost always do better.

I checked Liberty and it was 560, 123 wouldn't quote me as a new customer.

I just paid and renewed the original renewal after that. I really don't think they could go lower than that so didn't call them.

Maybe next year. I always try to get the best deal, but 400 euro was just fine and I didn't think that they could go any lower. If I wasted 50 euro then be it ;)

I checked Liberty and it was 560, 123 wouldn't quote me as a new customer.

I just paid and renewed the original renewal after that. I really don't think they could go lower than that so didn't call them.

Maybe next year. I always try to get the best deal, but 400 euro was just fine and I didn't think that they could go any lower. If I wasted 50 euro then be it ;)

Was speaking specificilly of my own experiences with 123 the past number of years I have been with them. Not a year has gone by that they've not knocked at least 50 quid off the renewal price with a phone call. They've only started that "web only" renewal price the past 3 years or so (I think) probably as an attempt to put people off ringing them but as I've said - without fail, they have always reduced that price. TBF to them (from my perspective) they've not been beaten on price the the past number of years I have been with them.
    To add: I do have the wifes car and the house with them, so there are some "discounts" that they "forgot to apply" usually on that........

I get what you are saying, but with 06 car insured I have less room for negotiation.

Happy enough, they really offered me best prices in last few years and if not I switched nó problem. On one occasion I got new policy from them because it was cheaper than renewal. When you hit 400 euro renewal you kinda know that is close to base lowest price and with a car registered in 2006 it really is.

Next time I will try to haggle a bit just to see if there is a room for a bit of discount, sure there must be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Your insurance shouldn't be dear for that car but that is also dependent on your age.

24 and planning to buy the car in August. Done some test quotes and most won't quote me but the few quotes I have got aren't terrible but not great.

Around 1300-1400

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭clobber

Checking for insurance atm. Online quotes also coming up with "errors" after inputting all information. I am on a provisional so that means no prior records so im guessing that is the reason they are giving me nothing back?

clobber wrote: »
    Checking for insurance atm. Online quotes also coming up with "errors" after inputting all information. I am on a provisional so that means no prior records so im guessing that is the reason they are giving me nothing back?

Almost always better to ring. No matter the circumstances.

I get what you are saying, but with 06 car insured I have less room for negotiation.

Happy enough, they really offered me best prices in last few years and if not I switched nó problem. On one occasion I got new policy from them because it was cheaper than renewal. When you hit 400 euro renewal you kinda know that is close to base lowest price and with a car registered in 2006 it really is.

Next time I will try to haggle a bit just to see if there is a room for a bit of discount, sure there must be :)
    Mine is similiar (08) - always worth the negotiation in my own opinion on any of the insurances or regular ultility contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭clobber

Yeah so checked in with one of the insurance firms. And they've told me, generally, that my insurance would be coming in at between 2000 and 2500. They said i should be looking at 1.2 engine even though i plan to keep below 1.6
    feel that it would open up the options a but more.

still in fact finding mode so i didnt ask them anything further.

but would any jump from 1.2- to 1.6 put a much further increase onto that price they quoted me??

• Advertisement

clobber wrote: »

but would any jump from 1.2- to 1.6 put a much further increase onto that price they quoted me??

It would have made a difference when I was looking over 20 years ago but I'm not sure what it's like now. Just go through Donedeal and find small engined cars you like in your price range and call up the insurance company with the number plate. nobody can tell you how much it will be as everyone is different location, age, car etc..

Advertisement