Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭clobber

wonski wrote: »
    In your case they insure the risk, not the value of the car ;)

True. But I'm as much a risk in a oldish car as I am in a newish one. It's buyer beware now with the car I'm looking for.

God know what that these used cars have been through. Go dealer then I'm definitely going to give top dollar there too

2,800 insurance for low engine 5-10 year old car.

2,800 insurance for low engine 1-5 year old car/relatively new car

Thats pretty much it

And only getting 1 or 2 quotes max back. Using chill comparison btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

clobber wrote: »
    2,800 insurance for low engine 5-10 year old car.

2,800 insurance for low engine 1-5 year old car/relatively new car

Thats pretty much it

And only getting 1 or 2 quotes max back. Using chill comparison btw.

Try the insurance companies own websites, chill was 5-800 dearer with my sons insurance, they won't give you a proper quote until you have passed your test, you should get it down to 1800-2000

Try the insurance companies own websites, chill was 5-800 dearer with my sons insurance, they won't give you a proper quote until you have passed your test, you should get it down to 1800-2000

Yeah I haven't passed mine either, but obviously looking for quotes based on passing my test. I still want to be thinking ahead to then money wise so that I'm smart with resources now :-D

Be a full day giving all the rest a call. I'll try the others' website but some of them have been returning that we can't give you a quote based on information.

I'll keep trying, obviously will keep at it if people think I can do better than the above.

Those prices as I say are based on keys of car in my hand and a pass in driving test

lol the joys of spending the day giving out eircodes and car reg's etc

• Advertisement

€1,331.84 from 123.ie

based on a 1.4 2011 toyota yaris and passing test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭CoBo55

€1,331.84 from 123.ie

based on a 1.4 2011 toyota yaris and passing test

Great car but are very expensive, avoid polo's at all costs the engines in them are terrible.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Great car but are very expensive, avoid polo's at all costs the engines in them are terrible.

On the right track now with 123.ie and Allianze who are both coming in at round 1400 for that afore mentioned car. It's down to getting the right car now. Save on the insurance and pay bit more from the car.

At least the tie to the insurance has being loosened a bit with 123.ie and Allianz. Well if anyone has recommendation regarding the car Im all ears.

I'll go back to these guys with a firm choice as I have only been using random cars in a specific category for me just to get quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭CoBo55

On the right track now with 123.ie and Allianze who are both coming in at round 1400 for that afore mentioned car. It's down to getting the right car now. Save on the insurance and pay bit more from the car.

At least the tie to the insurance has being loosened a bit with 123.ie and Allianz. Well if anyone has recommendation regarding the car Im all ears.

I'll go back to these guys with a firm choice as I have only been using random cars in a specific category for me just to get quotes

I've gone through it with my children, 2 Fiesta's (10&11) and a 07 1.3 Civic(don't ask about the civic!!). Check the Fiesta for water ingress as one of them was like a sponge, sorted now luckily enough. Opel corsa, Seat Ibiza are other contenders, keep away from diesels as at that age they can be a whole lorra trouble.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I've gone through it with my children, 2 Fiesta's (10&11) and a 07 1.3 Civic(don't ask about the civic!!). Check the Fiesta for water ingress as one of them was like a sponge, sorted now luckily enough. Opel corsa, Seat Ibiza are other contenders, keep away from diesels as at that age they can be a whole lorra trouble.
    Yeah seen a few Corsas and Seat Ibizas that kept me interested in them so I'll keep watching out for them and get quotes for them.

To be fair I was looking mostly at the diesels over the petrol. Mostly due to living rurally and nearly all the family work off diesel cars and say it's been more economically for them.

Good to know that it's not necessarily a good match for starter car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Toyota Aygo or Citroen or pug equivalent

Put car value over €5k too and try named driver such as a parent etc.

Toyota Aygo or Citroen or pug equivalent

Put car value over €5k too and try named driver such as a parent etc.

Cheers mate. Nice advice at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Don't be so hard on yourself, it's only a discussion forum

I know it is.....

Sorry for exposing you.

Clowns are two a penny, think a little bit more before you post.

Ok so today went round a few of them today. Some giving no quotes at all and just deal over the phone. Based on prior call dont think it will be worth dealing with them.

Based on a 131 1 litre Totota Aygo; Alliance is 1100 fully comp' with optional extas thereafter.

Tried the same with Chill and they given back to me with Allianz for the same, 3200 fully comp' and 3 grand for third part, fire and theft.

And some other crowd called XS Direct coming in at 2,300 for fully comp. Same for 1 or 2 of the others in round 2-2500 give or take between 3rd party and fully comp'.

Are the differences that big when shopping around??

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Got loads of quotes best two are my current broker at €500 or 25plus at €400. Is it worth €100 to stay with broker I know and trust and avoid 25plus? Allianz came in close to broker price too. I think broker is using Kenco.

Update on this took fully comp with Aig for €383

This day keeps on giving :D

Tried AIG and they've given me €975 for fully comp' using their "box clever" thing aimed at younger drivers.

They say box clever is for under 27's but im past that. They still allow me to proceed so even though im over the age I get the same treatment???? If so I am laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

go for allianz 1100 instead of 975 with the box for sure

go for allianz 1100 instead of 975 with the box for sure

Yeah just reading about the box thing. bit creepy how it goes into your driving habits.

I know I'm not great behind the wheel. Don't need them to tell me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yeah just reading about the box thing. bit creepy how it goes into your driving habits.

I know I'm not great behind the wheel. Don't need them to tell me :D

Yeah it would not be worth that small reduction and to be worrying about it. Even the installation is not worth 100 euro for them to pull your dash out and to have to get it removed again in the future. And that's before they are tracking you etc

Icing on the cake from Allianz.

1400 for a 1.6 Van just what the doctor ordered. Didn't think it were possible after the initial quotes and criteria. I just need to get my own sh1t together now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Got a good renewal from Aig - they are miles ahead of everyone else for me at the moment.

2019 Megane Estate
    Myself and my wife - both late 30's
    5 Years NCB
    One claim in last few years - Poxy deer jumped out in front of car on motorway. Damage to own car as a result.
    Class 2 business use included.
    NCB Protection and Comp driving other cars addon.

€475 per year. Happy days. Ill have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 grape86

Licence: Full 10+ years
    NCB:7 years
    Car: 2008 Ford Focus

Renewal Aviva €480

Cheapest I found was An Post (With named driver TPFT) €385

Happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Wife's renewal.
    Licence: Full 8 years
    NCB:5 years
    Car: 2009 Ford C-Max 2.0 petrol

Renewal Zurich via Firstireland 690 Euro (comprehensive with NCD protection)

Aviva 454 Euros for same cover.

FirstIreland gave me 18 Euro discount when I called them to improve the initial quote. They were normally competitive but not this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Car: 2001 Toyota Yaris 998cc, Terra
    NCB: 2 year + 4 years named driving experience
    Cover: Comp. with €600 excess
    No claims / No Penalty points/ No convictions
    Last year Aviva: €753
    Renewal: €565
    Comment: 25% reduction, very happy but will look around. They've sent renewal quote 3 days early.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Car: 2007 Honda Civic Type R
    6 years NCB and licensed since 19 years old
    Prestige Underwriting (?) though whoops.ie : €825
    Comment: Basically nowhere would quote me for this car, I'm sure its age doesn't help, and when I did I was relatively surprised and consider the 825 euro good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

AXA - Ford Focus 2010 1.4 Petrol 75% NC discount.

60 with wife as named driver

Extras:

Comprehensive DOC
    Car and Key Rescue
    Protected NCD
    + windscreen etc

€503.45

Called and got what seems to be some story about if I'm a member of a credit union I can get free car and key rescue, €35.66 deducted. Complained and whinged :o a bit more and best offer was €450 for exactly the same cover.

Have a month to pay and will probably pay it as I'm too lazy to look for better. :o

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭pawrick

Renewal this year 760 via Allianze broker which is in line with the past few years renewals (I usually haggle them down some more), fully comp, ncb protection excess 250 and all bells and whistles. If i sign up as a new customer going to allianze directly it's coming in at 601...

10 yrs plus ncb, no point or anything
    full licence 7 yrs
    named driver with provisional and 10yr plus ncb
    1.5 litre petrol 2018 suv

Cheapest online quote for what seems like a comparable offer so far is An post at 399 fully comp, ncb protection + 300 excess, dont think I'll beat this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Perinho

I'm wondering how you got a quote of FBD as a new motor insurance customer as I know they have an an age limit of 10 years old on passenger cars for new motor insurance customers. I thought they were quite firm on this even if it was the case that they had you on their books as a customer for an alternative general insurance?

Still, your not going to argue I'd imagine. Seems a decent price given the model, the age and the fact that you only have one years NCB in your own name.

I don't have the answers. I am currently on their books with 2 other policies. Maybe it's my old age -lol. Insurance companies never make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Perinho

Car: 2016 Honda Civic Type R GT
    NCB 10+
    Cover: Comp
    Employed as Engineer
    Last year FBD: €560
    Renewal: €613

Rang to see was there anything they could do for me.
    'Lauren' got it down to €520. Delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Perinho wrote: »
    I don't have the answers. I am currently on their books with 2 other policies. Maybe it's my old age -lol. Insurance companies never make sense to me.

The decision to waive the age-code of the car was under ‘business code’ as if they declined to quote you on same car then the potential financial loss of cancelling 2 other policies you are list on is best avoided. Every insurer will weigh up these scenarios but unless you speak to them !!
    Well done on the cover

Advertisement