Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Car Insurance eh..?? Welcome to the world of Gangsters, Cut Throats & Cowboys...

I'm driving for nearly 34yrs now. Never had a claim in my life, and change insurance brokers as often as my jocks (a little poetic licence there please guys..)

So, I was with my ex insurance broker for over 5yrs, no major problems with them until my renewal came up this year..

I changed my car from a 1.6lt Saloon, to a 2lt Saloon.

My Ex quoted me £582 which I though was a little steep.. (well, a pizz take actually!)

I did one of them search engine things, and got the EXACT SAME COVER from another shower of well known Gangsters for £338!!!!

I rang my ex back and shared this information, and asked as a loyal customer, what could they do for me..??

They said, and I quote: 'If you were quoted £338, I'd be taking it'

And so ended that 5yr romance...

Nowt but robbers and outlaws!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭ongarite

Where you live affecting how much your car insurance has never registered with me until I'm moving home.
    Moving 10 miles away from D15 to Meath with car insurance quotes 33% lower in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭clobber

Im not in the city but in a rural enough area and is where most my driving is going to be done. Not really looking at keeping to 1.2/city car which was kind of what the insurance guys were pitching to me.

Dirty loads and mucking about, thats pretty much it . So not restricting myself but also not going mad either. I'll have to factor in car value too

I know yeah but I'm under the knife as a newbie. I'm in the rock vs hard place right now.

Basically finding out how high can i go car/van wise whilst keeping the premium down and work from there. I'm gonna pay no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

flanna01 wrote: »
    Car Insurance eh..?? Welcome to the world of Gangsters, Cut Throats & Cowboys...

I'm driving for nearly 34yrs now. Never had a claim in my life, and change insurance brokers as often as my jocks (a little poetic licence there please guys..)

So, I was with my ex insurance broker for over 5yrs, no major problems with them until my renewal came up this year..

I changed my car from a 1.6lt Saloon, to a 2lt Saloon.

My Ex quoted me £582 which I though was a little steep.. (well, a pizz take actually!)

I did one of them search engine things, and got the EXACT SAME COVER from another shower of well known Gangsters for £338!!!!

I rang my ex back and shared this information, and asked as a loyal customer, what could they do for me..??

They said, and I quote: 'If you were quoted £338, I'd be taking it'

And so ended that 5yr romance...

Nowt but robbers and outlaws!

FFS, you found a bargain from an insurer working hard to provide competitive premiums and they too are gangsters. Pathetic

• Advertisement

FFS, you found a bargain from an insurer working hard to provide competitive premiums and they too are gangsters. Pathetic

Who rattled your cage??

I sourced over 15 online Insurers to get that quote. Note *The first letter of the sentence *

My own Gangster Insurers wouldn't reduce their quote by one brown cent? Yet some other Yee Haa's could almost half it..........????

Now... Im sorry to ruffle your feathers with my direct approach, but do you really understand where they get their numbers from...??

Should there not be a regulated price for all the Gangsters? How can the exact same circumstances produce totally different quotes??

Are you really supportive of these hard working Insurance cartels? Do they really work themselves to the bone to get you the very best deal..??

Are you a stand up comic by any chance... FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

My own policy is due for renewal on the 28th of February. Got my renewal notice from Allianz in the week just gone. They are looking for €577.92, up from the €508.32 I paid last year.

Cover is comprehensive on a 2011 Avensis 2.0 D4D. 39 year old male, full Irish license held for almost 20 years, non penalty points, no claims, no convictions and full no claims discount. Living in a rural area.

Feel I can do better. Will be getting quotes over the next week or two and will keep you posted.
    Apologies I meant to update much sooner as I renewed just over a week ago (renewal pack came in early January for a renewal date of 1st of March).

I renewed with Allianz but went online as a new customer and rang them back after to see if they could just renew me on current policy with the price I got on the online quote which they did after a small bit of argy-bargy.

New price came in at €415.36 for comprehensive cover and includes the following
    - Full Bonus protection
    - Breakdown cover
    - Windscreen cover
    - Driving of other cars.
    - I drove the excess up to €500 to reduce the premium slightly and I passed my 40th birthday before renewal date.

Changes made to the policy versus previous policy include
    - Previously had my Partner's occupation incorrectly down as payroll staff and updated it to accounts staff (she is named on the policy). She is 41 years old and has the full use of her own car. Full NCB, full Irish license. No claims, penalty points, convictions.
    - Change of address from a Limerick county town to countryside within Limerick.
    - Changed my commuting status to working from home.
    Seemingly these changes brought the premium down from €577.92 as per renewal pack to €415.36. Relatively considerable all the same I thought considering the nature of the changes made.

As I recall the best alternative price was close to €500 but don't have it to hand at the moment as have them jotted down at my other house. I can post a few of the alternative quotes for anyone interested, just let me know.

Who rattled your cage??

Should there not be a regulated price for all the Gangsters? How can the exact same circumstances produce totally different quotes??

Are you really supportive of these hard working Insurance cartels? Do they really work themselves to the bone to get you the very best deal..??
    !

Make your mind up. You want all insurers to have the same price for your circumstances then you go on to mention insurance cartels.

Make your mind up. You want all insurers to have the same price for your circumstances then you go on to mention insurance cartels.

That is correct.. And your point is...???

That is correct.. And your point is...???

No point, you just confirmed what I was thinking

• Advertisement

No point, you just confirmed what I was thinking

For the benefit of the other posters, who may not share your wonderful gift of telepathy, would you mind elaborating on your thinking.....?

Could you possibly make it coherent as well please..

Anyway it's looking like I'll just have to go with smaller make and size of car. Generally getting between 2000/2500 for staying along those lines.

Insurance is reasonable given the circumstances, its actually looking like I'll be paying an arm and a led for the car and a basic one at that. If we go low price wise on car we pay more on the insurance and then nothing is a given with the car itself

For the benefit of the other posters, who may not share your wonderful gift of telepathy, would you mind elaborating on your thinking.....?

Could you possibly make it coherent as well please..

If other posters want me to elaborate, I will but I think you're the only one who doesn't see the problem with you advocating that all insurers quote the same price for similar risks while calling the current situation as an insurance cartel.

If other posters want me to elaborate, I will but I think you're the only one who doesn't see the problem with you advocating that all insurers quote the same price for similar risks while calling the current situation as an insurance cartel.

I quite understand the Cartels protocol....

It doesn't make it right, nor does it make it acceptable.

Its the buffoons that don't challenge this racket, who are realistically facilitating it. I choose to call a spade a spade - Or to be more precise, Gangster ridden Cartels

If I was to lay down to these Cowboys, I would be paying nearly double my Quote. I will not, and do not.

You stated earlier that these Yee Haa's worked hard to get me a lower quotation.... That' not entirely true is it??

The search engines are all automated, they access the risk, pick a number out of their backsides and double it...

Pleeease..... Ive been doing this for over 30yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Got loads of quotes best two are my current broker at €500 or 25plus at €400. Is it worth €100 to stay with broker I know and trust and avoid 25plus? Allianz came in close to broker price too. I think broker is using Kenco.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Got loads of quotes best two are my current broker at €500 or 25plus at €400. Is it worth €100 to stay with broker I know and trust and avoid 25plus? Allianz came in close to broker price too. I think broker is using Kenco.

Why would you pay 100 extra (proving the cover, excess etc is same or similar)?

Ask your current broker if they can match 25plus offer.

I quite understand the Cartels protocol....

It doesn't make it right, nor does it make it acceptable.

Its the buffoons that don't challenge this racket, who are realistically facilitating it. I choose to call a spade a spade - Or to be more precise, Gangster ridden Cartels

If I was to lay down to these Cowboys, I would be paying nearly double my Quote. I will not, and do not.

You stated earlier that these Yee Haa's worked hard to get me a lower quotation.... That' not entirely true is it??

The search engines are all automated, they access the risk, pick a number out of their backsides and double it...

Pleeease..... Ive been doing this for over 30yrs

"Working hard to get you a lower quote" has little to to do with the search engine itself. It's the background that leads to securing the market rates that knocked your old insurers out of the park. Anyway, sure you know everything, how can I add anything to someone who has been dealing with gangsters, cowboys, buffoons and yee-haas for 30 years? (yet can't grasp what competition is)

"Working hard to get you a lower quote" has little to to do with the search engine itself. It's the background that leads to securing the market rates that knocked your old insurers out of the park. Anyway, sure you know everything, how can I add anything to someone who has been dealing with gangsters, cowboys, buffoons and yee-haas for 30 years? (yet can't grasp what competition is)

Ok.. Keep paying our money and lying down like sheep...

I choose not to. What I call corruption you call competition.

Thanks for your input, you have a totally different view of car insurance than I do.

As much use to this forum as a chocolate teapot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭CoBo55

A hundred squid is a hundred squid I know what I'd be doing, 25plus here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Seriously ??. €100 into something else other than an insurance companies back pocket. I wouldn't give it a second thought

• Advertisement

So then for a newbie. Looking roughly at 3000 to buy the car, then between 2 and 3 thousand to insure it.

The less I spend on the car the more I pay on the premium

Is this about right?

clobber wrote: »
    So then for a newbie. Looking roughly at 3000 to buy the car, then between 2 and 3 thousand to insure it.

Is this about right?

Not really.

What's your license status?

Age?

What car you are looking at?

Thanks for your input, you have a totally different view of car insurance than I do. As much use to this forum as a chocolate teapot.

Don't be so hard on yourself, it's only a discussion forum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is this about right?

The year and engine size are the most important factors, 08/09 or newer and engine size between 1 and 1.3 litres. Cars like ford fiestas Opel Corsa etc are the most easily insured. Find the car and check insurance costs before committing to buying the car.

wonski wrote: »
    Not really.

What's your license status?

Age?

What car you are looking at?

Completely new to driving. Lets just say old enough :D
    Waiting to get driving test but obviously that's already factored in

And looking at smaller cars

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The year and engine size are the most important factors, 08/09 or newer and engine size between 1 and 1.3 litres. Cars like ford fiestas Opel Corsa etc are the most easily insured. Find the car and check insurance costs before committing to buying the car.

you sum it up perfectly. I'm following all that down to the letter but looking at Polos. Obviously trying to stick to a budget but yeah if i go even a year or 2 below that 08/09 reg I'm looking at a grand of increase in insurance.

Pick few small cars on Donedeal and run few quotes.

As a new driver you might be limited to what you can insure.

3k budget should give you few options to buy relatively modern car.

Insurance will be around 2-3k probably regardless.

Just run the quotes online and see what you can afford and what brings the price up or down.

you sum it up perfectly. I'm following all that down to the letter but looking at Polos. Obviously trying to stick to a budget but yeah if i go even a year or 2 below that 08/09 reg I'm looking at a grand of increase in insurance.

If that's the case stick to it. Better spend more on a car than on insurance - insurance is dead money really, you get newer car instead.

wonski wrote: »
    If that's the case stick to it. Better spend more on a car than on insurance - insurance is dead money really, you get newer car instead.
    yeah its crazy. i knew the insurance was never going to be cheap for me.

but ironic for i need to spend more on the car to bring the insurance down. thought it would have been the other way around.

• Advertisement

yeah its crazy. i knew the insurance was never going to be cheap for me.

but ironic for i need to spend more on the car to bring the insurance. thought it would have been the other way around.

In your case they insure the risk, not the value of the car ;)

Advertisement