Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Quick question for you guys.

My insurance company reaches the maximum NCB after 4 years.

So my proof of no claim bonus letter says, "The No Claims Bonus under this policy at the renewal date shown will be 4 year(s)*1"

And then the astrix says, "*1. You reach the maximum scheme no claim bonus after four years. This usually takes five years with most others Insurers. You may therefore have been driving claims free for longer than this period."

My question is, if I want to change insurance companies, how do I prove that I have in fact been driving 10 years without a claim?

2 years ago when I was moving to 123.ie from the same insurer I'm with now, I was told by 123.ie that I need to get something to prove I have 8 years NCB, I didn't really understand, but was just going to the other insurance company and see if they knew what they would require. But as it happened 123.ie rang back about 10 mins after their first call and said it was OK and they would accept whatever I had keyed in on the online application form.

I am not so sure it would be that easy again so I would like to know what is required now rather that running around trying to get something in a rush closer the time.

My insurance last year was €539.00, this year €644.99, so 20% increase. Only just got letter so do not know how that compares to other quotes yet.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

There's a piece in today's Sunday Business Post about FBD. It cites data from the CSO that today, average insurance prices are still 27% lower than they were in 2002.

Goes to show just how under priced insurance has been over the last number of years that there has been an approximate increase of 20% in the last 12 months but its still nearly 30% cheaper than it was 13 years ago.

NoNonsense is going to be phased out and all current NN customers will be offered renewal under the FBD policy umbrella which will likely mean a big jump in price for some NN customers.

When is NN to be phased out? My cheapest quote is from them and I need to renew for the 12th September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pov06 wrote: »
    When is NN to be phased out? My cheapest quote is from them and I need to renew for the 12th September.

It hasn't been finalised yet, there are rules in place that if I remember correctly state that if an insurer is moving its business to another company at least 30 days written notice is required.

So if they were to send out letters say on the 1st of September advising of the change I think it can't legally start until the 1st of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Car: 2006 Honda Civic 1.4

NCB: 1 year

Licence: 2 years

Cover: TPFT, breakdown cover

Last year's premium: €1890 :eek:

Renewal with existing insurer: €890

Best new price: Didn't check others, I was so happy with the reduction :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

County : Wexford
    Car : 2007 Saab 93 120 bap
    Licence : full, 8 years. No points.
    NCB : 8 years
    Insurer : Aviva
    Last year : 304 euro
    Renewal : 530 euro
    Fully comp.

• Advertisement

It hasn't been finalised yet, there are rules in place that if I remember correctly state that if an insurer is moving its business to another company at least 30 days written notice is required.

So if they were to send out letters say on the 1st of September advising of the change I think it can't legally start until the 1st of October.

Yeah I haven't been with them yet. I just got a quote online and they gave me a reference number which is valid for 30 days. Hopefully it will still work.

NoNonsense gave the cheapest online quote. I haven't had the chance to ring around and ask on the phone yet, hopefully it will be a bit cheaper on the phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

I can't explain it. I've asked liberty to explain it as well. Ive been insured by liberty for the last 5 years. They've always been the cheapest for me.

Last year I did an online quote with chill, it came back with 2k plus. This was followed up by some lovely girl from chill asking was it competitive which it wasn't being twice what liberty quoted. She took my details, the exact same that I put into chills website and came back with a quote of 800

Which has me dumbfounded. How come when i filled it out online it was 1200 dearer?
    I rang liberty to see would they insure me directly for the same price that they'd agreed to insure me through chill. The girl said no, the supervisor said no and the most the manager said he could do was give it to me for 900.

I asked him could he explain how liberty made more money insuring me through a broker for 800 Euro than me giving liberty 800 directly. Because the broker doesn't work for free.

At this stage I'm not sure whether the actuaries pull the figures from their arse, or the details you give means Jack **** and theres someone in the office pulling a lever that stops at a random number

i knew a lad who was insured with hibernian, he went off and got insurance through a broker and got his insurance 100 euro cheaper through hibernian . delighted he was. only to find out he had no driving of other cars extension, windscreen cover and a higher excess.
    Be wary as well , some brokers will put your occupation down as a lower risk occupation , lower mileage and so on. You would only find this out in a claim when the insurance company use it as an excuse not to pay out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Car: 2006 Honda Civic 1.4

NCB: 10 years

Licence: 8 years

Cover: TPFT, breakdown cover

Last year's premium: €450 on a different car

Renewal with existing insurer: Sold car so no renewal

Best new price: Previous insurer wanted me to jump through hoops as I had a 6 month break in cover between cars. Got insurance with 25plus.ie for €448

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Car : 2002 VW Bora 1.9TDI
    Licence : full, 22 years. No points.
    NCB : 10 yrs+
    Last year : €308
    Renewal : €373 were charging €413 till I rang them a got it down
    Fully comp full no claims protected (2 unlimited claims in 3 yrs)

Can't get any other insurer close to this with same cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Car : 2002 VW Bora 1.9TDI
    Licence : full, 22 years. No points.
    NCB : 10 yrs+
    Last year : €308
    Renewal : €373 were charging €413 till I rang them a got it down
    Fully comp full no claims protected (2 unlimited claims in 3 yrs)

Can't get any other insurer close to this with same cover.

Be sure to clarify the 33% penalty point discount cost !! If u obtain penalty points during the year you will have to pay same back or portion ,when u notify them. !!

Ps... If you don't notify them and then e unfortunate to have claim they will change excess to €2500 (non disclosure clause on ur schedule)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Insurers put vehicles into particular groups so while the Merc is technically a more powerful car, it may be grouped with smaller engine cars such as the Corolla.

It really boggled my mind. I had a C200 before that and a 520 before that. The c200 was a 97 car yet I got money sent back to me for transferring insurance, this was last year. The 520 wasn't in anywhere near the premium of the C220 either.

It genuinely baffles me as to how a humpy Corolla with barely any power to pull one out of bed is significantly more expensive than the C220? I got a quote on a 1983 Cortina on a daily policy, not classic, for €500 fully comp this year..!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There's a piece in today's Sunday Business Post about FBD. It cites data from the CSO that today, average insurance prices are still 27% lower than they were in 2002.

Goes to show just how under priced insurance has been over the last number of years that there has been an approximate increase of 20% in the last 12 months but its still nearly 30% cheaper than it was 13 years ago.

NoNonsense is going to be phased out and all current NN customers will be offered renewal under the FBD policy umbrella which will likely mean a big jump in price for some NN customers.

Oh bollocks! Is it any use trying to renew and get another term out of them, or will they just rip up everyone's contract?
    I think I should call myself Mary and become a accountant in Cork driving a 1 liter Toyota Arse no more than 500 meters a year...

Oh bollocks! Is it any use trying to renew and get another term out of them, or will they just rip up everyone's contract?
    I think I should call myself Mary and become a accountant in Cork driving a 1 liter Toyota Arse no more than 500 meters a year...

I would say if you can buy it now then they HAVE to keep the insurance running until it expires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Pov06 wrote: »
    I would say if you can buy it now then they HAVE to keep the insurance running until it expires.

Best give them a ring this week and see if I can get my renewal in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Be sure to clarify the 33% penalty point discount cost !! If u obtain penalty points during the year you will have to pay same back or portion ,when u notify them. !!

Ps... If you don't notify them and then e unfortunate to have claim they will change excess to €2500 (non disclosure clause on ur schedule)

Tnks for the info, going to ring them when renewing and double check this, tnks again. Is this just with AVIVA

Best give them a ring this week and see if I can get my renewal in early.

You wont get your renewal early anyway Im afraid.

As I said above though, nothing has been finalised yet and they are obliged to give notice of the change so if your renewal is in the next couple of weeks hopefully you will be ok for the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Car: Ford Focus ST225

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 7+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, step back protection

Renewal quote: Back in May 15' - €600 AXA

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Car: Skoda Octavia 1.6 tdi

NCD: 4yr

Licence: Full 4 years, no points

Cover: third party fire and theft

Renewal quote: €570 liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

This is how I fared in the end...

Car: 08 Fiat Bravo 1.4 (90bhp)

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, step back, drive other cars, roadside assistance

Best quote: €484 - AIG

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrMaki

Car: 06 Honda Accord 2L petrol

No claim bonus 9+ ( max)

Licence: Full EU 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, ncb protect, drive other cars, windscreen cover

Best quote: €710 Allianz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Car: Seat Altea 2005 TDI

Licence: Full 7+ years, 2 points

Cover: Fully comp, step back protection, windscreen, legal, key's, accidental death, personal belongings ++

Renewal quote: 900 with 123.ie, 425 with quote devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Car: 2009 BMW 330D

Licence: Full UK 10 years, No Points

Cover: Fully comp, step back protection, break-down cover

Last year's premium: €590 - AIG Via Chill

Renewal with existing insurer: €580

Best new price: €552 - AIG directly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Two renewals in this morning for me & the missus, both in our 40's, no claims, fully comp including roadside assistance, ncb protection etc
    both named on each others policies

11 reg fluence 1.5dci €436.27
    141 reg civic sport 1.4I-VTEC €398.62

AIG via 25plus

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Car: 2005 Vectra Diesle 1.9

Licence: Full IE 20+ years, 2 Points

Last year's premium: approx €590

Renewal with existing insurer: €630

Best new price: €1400 - with 123

Am I doing something wrong compared to all of you? mine seems really excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Am I doing something wrong compared to all of you? mine seems really excessive.

Well there must be something wrong, chief - that's absolutely outrageous! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

^^^Think that's outrageous?

Car: 2008 BMW 520d M-Sport Auto

NCD: TBC (see below)

Licence: Full UK 20+ years, 0 Points

Last year's premium (AIG): €534.11

Renewal with existing insurer: €1,832.93

NCD is showing as 30% after a step back from 6 years +, due to a claim for stolen headlights. Spoke to AIG this morning to query this and tell them that the claim shouldn't affect the NCD according to the policy as it was theft rather than damage.

Waiting on an update, but it's been a long while since I've seen a figure that high on an insurance renewal :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Car: 2005 Vectra Diesle 1.9

Licence: Full IE 20+ years, 2 Points

Last year's premium: approx €590

Renewal with existing insurer: €630

Best new price: €1400 - with 123

Am I doing something wrong compared to all of you? mine seems really excessive.

Have you tried Bank of Ireland Online

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/insure-and-protect/insurance/car-insurance/

I got a quote of €370 from them yesterday for a '99 Audi A4 1.9 TDi

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Car: 2008 Forester 227bhp

NCD: 3 years

Licence: Full IE 2.5 years

Cover: Fully comp, step back protection, break-down cover, window cover.

Last year's premium: €900 on a 20 year old Mercedes E-class, almost €100 to swap to Forester for last 3 months of policy.

Renewal with existing insurer: €1440 with AXA

Best new price: Went with Zurich for €900, but was offered €854 with Kennco. Decided to go with a better known company.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

41 full ncb no points
    Citroen c4 grand Picasso 1.6hdi
    25plus quoted 455 full comp about a week ago pressed buy policy todayand it jumped to 595!!!!!! My advise recheck 25plus quotes.

• Advertisement

lolliedog wrote: »
    41 full ncb no points
    Citroen c4 grand Picasso 1.6hdi
    25plus quoted 455 full comp about a week ago pressed buy policy todayand it jumped to 595!!!!!! My advise recheck 25plus quotes.

Have you a quote reference number for the €455?

Quotes are in general valid for 30 days.

Advertisement