Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

But they wouldn't be covered if the person accompanying the learner driver is the person with the licence for only a year and they had an accident. That's all I was pointing out.

You are incorrect there amigo.

Once the driver is named on the policy they are covered, regardless of if they are accompanied by a full licence holder or not.

The accompaniment rule is a legal one and does not effect the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Car: Ford Fiesta Steel 1.25 - 75 bhp

NCD: 1 year

Licence: Full, owned 1 year

Cover: Fully comp, including comprehensive driving other cars and breakdown assist

Best Quote: 945 - AA

This included haggling on the phone between companies and being on the phone to the AA for an hour. My initial renewal with AXA was nearly €1400 which was terrible considering it didn't even include driving other cars etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Cutting a long story short, got 10% off my renewal quote with FBD this year on the figure quoted to me- you get 5% off the quote if you pay online so it was really just an additional 5%- but worth doing obviously. a small bit of pain for a small bit of gain. I'm just over 50 quid better off so that's OK.

I'll consider taking out a bundle insurance product next year- i.e. home, car etc to see if that gets a better quote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I have pet insurance and home with 123.ie. I asked if they could improve on a quote (forget how much, think it was over €700) to see if I could have pet, home and motor but no joy. So they got about €560 out of me but could have had in excess of €1,000. Logic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I have pet insurance and home with 123.ie. I asked if they could improve on a quote (forget how much, think it was over €700) to see if I could have pet, home and motor but no joy. So they got about €560 out of me but could have had in excess of €1,000. Logic?

FBD offered to quote me on other insurance to bring down my car- didn't go for it this time but might again- Logic and Insurance companies are rarely two (three) words you'll find in the one sentence:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Car: 2004 Honda Accord Tourer CDTi

NCD: 4

Licence: Full since 2006

Cover: TPFT

Current quote: Paid around 650e

Next Quote: They aren't getting another sodding penny from me and either is the state with their gob****e tax prices. Car is being re-registered once the policy ends at the end of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just a note lads and lasses. Was sorting insurance renewal with the AA, online price 912 TPFT no no claims protection. 15 minute phone call later and have a fully comp policy, full no claims protection for 808 euro. The TPFT policy was 703. Ring them would be my advice, don't just use the internetz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Just a note lads and lasses. Was sorting insurance renewal with the AA, online price 912 TPFT no no claims protection. 15 minute phone call later and have a fully comp policy, full no claims protection for 808 euro. The TPFT policy was 703. Ring them would be my advice, don't just use the internetz.
    I find modern electronic communications very impersonal. I'm preparing a masterpiece of quill and ink penmanship as we speak, confident that this personal touch will guarantee the "Mary the 42year old Yaris driving accountan" rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I find modern electronic communications very impersonal. I'm preparing a masterpiece of quill and ink penmanship as we speak, confident that this personal touch will guarantee the "Mary the 42year old Yaris driving accountan" rate.

But only if you have a proper "Ebeneezer Scrooge" writing desk, half moon spectacles and fingerless mittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

But only if you have a proper "Ebeneezer Scrooge" writing desk, half moon spectacles and fingerless mittens.

In fairness they're all gagging for your business. Like a gobsh*te I put my real phone numbers in when getting the online quotes, they were all straight on to me, some even before I'd finished getting a quote from the next crowd. I think I'll be having a chat to them all via my telephone machine when I do the renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

County: Dublin
    Car: 2008 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI
    NCD: 1 year
    Licence: Full, less than 1 year
    Renewal: €1836 AIG through First Ireland

Robbing b*stards. I paid less with my provisional :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Car: 2000 Toyota Corolla 1.9d

Licence: Full, 8 years

NCD: 7+

Previous year: €850 AXA (on a Mercedes C220cdi, also 2000)

Price: €1100 AXA

Sorry to quote a quote, but that's well harsh. A joke is right.

Sorry to quote a quote, but that's well harsh. A joke is right.

Id imagine an age loading for the vehicle now been 15 years old is whats driving it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Id imagine an age loading for the vehicle now been 15 years old is whats driving it up.

Is it not a bit silly though that the Mercedes was the same year along with being a 2.2 yet a 1.9 Corolla is more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Car: 2004 Nissan 350z

NCD: 8

Licence: Full 10 years

Cover: comp

Current quote: €700. 123.ie. Dreading next year as I feel I got lucky with that price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Car: Volvo S40 1.8 2001 value 3K (if only!)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 17 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, NCD Stepback, OH with own car as named driver. Also have Home Insurance with them.

Last years premium: €341 AA (AXA)

Renewal quote: €550 - AA (AXA)

So nothing has changed on the policy at all but it's increased by more than €200. I will be ringing them on Monday and shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Funny enough Axa seems to be loading 200e odd on all policies from what I'm seeing.
    My mother has had hers go up by 200e on a 05 Almera.
    Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Gender F
    Location Louth
    Age 48
    Car 10 Grand Scenic 1.5 Diesel
    Licence Full
    NCD Full
    Cover Fully Comp/ driving other cars/ Oh named driver
    Price E347 Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

bear1 wrote: »
    Funny enough Axa seems to be loading 200e odd on all policies from what I'm seeing.

I mentioned my insurance earlier - I went with AIG for €405
    - but - getting to what you're saying there, my last year was with AXA through AA broker, and when I saw my renewal was 601, I decided to shop about a bit. All the quotes (it's for women, Zurich, AIG) were coming back with 450ish, so I rang AA and said that I couldn't understand how they were offering me a renewal of 601. Immediately the guy on the phone was able to knock over 150 off that - I wanted to know how he was able to give such a cut. He told me that it was more or less standard for AXA to shove an extra 100 on renewals, and the rest was discounts that AA could throw in.

At the end of the day they couldn't match the AIG quote, but I still couldn't get over how I could've been totally fleeced if I'd let the insurance 'rollover' as I'm sure quite a lot of people do.

• Advertisement

Is it not a bit silly though that the Mercedes was the same year along with being a 2.2 yet a 1.9 Corolla is more expensive?

Insurers put vehicles into particular groups so while the Merc is technically a more powerful car, it may be grouped with smaller engine cars such as the Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Insurers put vehicles into particular groups so while the Merc is technically a more powerful car, it may be grouped with smaller engine cars such as the Corolla.

Yeah that's true I suppose, my 525 is cheaper to insure than my brothers Civic yet he's older than me with a longer license and No-Claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Car: 2008 Toyota Yaris Luna 5dr 1.0 value 6K

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 7 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, NCD protected, husband with learner permit and no car as named driver. Motor breakdown cover

Last years premium: €465 One Direct

Renewal quote: €750!!

Ridiculous thing is Aviva underwrite One Direct and they've given me a quote of €430. Will give One Direct a call next week but they won't drop by that much. I had a range of quotes when calling around, dearest was €950 from BoI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Car: '04 BMW 320Ci 2.2L

NCD: 3 years

Licence: Full 6 years, no points

Cover: TPF&T with drive any car cover (any policy I get needs this feature)

Best quote: €1000 flat. Hoping that will go down in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Car: 96 Alfa Romeo gtv 2L

NCb 5 years

Licence: 4 years, full

Cover: tpft

Previous year: 850 ish ( liberty through chill)

Renewal quote: 625 including ncb fully protected and windscreen cover

Best quote: see above

Rang liberty for a quote, came back with 1200 plus

Well done chill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^
    Definitely bucking the trend there Mr Clover.
    It seems insurance companies do this every year, Saps who just let the insurance roll over will be gutted like kippers and people who are putting in the footwork getting the deals.

There's a piece in today's Sunday Business Post about FBD. It cites data from the CSO that today, average insurance prices are still 27% lower than they were in 2002.

Goes to show just how under priced insurance has been over the last number of years that there has been an approximate increase of 20% in the last 12 months but its still nearly 30% cheaper than it was 13 years ago.

NoNonsense is going to be phased out and all current NN customers will be offered renewal under the FBD policy umbrella which will likely mean a big jump in price for some NN customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

That can happen with rarer cars, they can statically have a lower rate of accidents and are on paper a safer car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

^^^
    Definitely bucking the trend there Mr Clover.
    It seems insurance companies do this every year, Saps who just let the insurance roll over will be gutted like kippers and people who are putting in the footwork getting the deals.

I can't explain it. I've asked liberty to explain it as well. Ive been insured by liberty for the last 5 years. They've always been the cheapest for me.

Last year I did an online quote with chill, it came back with 2k plus. This was followed up by some lovely girl from chill asking was it competitive which it wasn't being twice what liberty quoted. She took my details, the exact same that I put into chills website and came back with a quote of 800

Which has me dumbfounded. How come when i filled it out online it was 1200 dearer?
    I rang liberty to see would they insure me directly for the same price that they'd agreed to insure me through chill. The girl said no, the supervisor said no and the most the manager said he could do was give it to me for 900.

I asked him could he explain how liberty made more money insuring me through a broker for 800 Euro than me giving liberty 800 directly. Because the broker doesn't work for free.

At this stage I'm not sure whether the actuaries pull the figures from their arse, or the details you give means Jack **** and theres someone in the office pulling a lever that stops at a random number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

County: Dublin
    Car: 1997 bmw 840 4.4L
    NCD: years
    Licence: Full
    Cover: fully comp
    Renewal: €400 AIG through First Ireland, limited to 6K a year

Advertisement