Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub Openings / Refurbs / Closing Thread - Mod Note Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

Bierhaus in Cork is closed for a few days for some remedial work to sort out the not very nice smell coming from underneath the bar.

Should be open again by Thursday or Friday.

The new sign looked well on pics i saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bierhaus in Cork is closed for a few days for some remedial work to sort out the not very nice smell coming from underneath the bar.

Should be open again by Thursday or Friday.

Looking more like Saturday, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yknaa

RasTa wrote: »
    Jack coadys gone under

That is a real shame. Enjoyed the range of beers (especially the stout) and supporting a local(ish) brewery. Good luck to all involved with any future ventures.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

L1011 wrote: »
    Very, very long closed Belfry in Stoneybatter under refurbishment currently.

Is it true that a river running under this caused structural damage to the foundations that they couldn't afford to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Just passed by Burkes this morning on Amiens street and it looked like there was work going in inside. Not sure if there doing anything to the pub or if there renovating upstairs for apartments or something.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,148 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Rialto House reopening the end of the month. Can anyone tell me who owns/manages it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I see notorious dump the tap on north King St is reopening as taproom 47? Anyone know anything? Just a lick of paint or all new pub?

Just saw that the Aungier house on Aungier street is being done up and reopened as The Dutch Billy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I see notorious dump the tap on north King St is reopening as taproom 47? Anyone know anything? Just a lick of paint or all new pub?

Pity that an actually historically significant name is getting mangled there.

• Advertisement

Just passed the sunset house looks like it's getting refurbished

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,148 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The Village Inn, in Rathfarnam, is getting done up. Been closed for a long time. No idea who is reopening it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone know what's happening with what used to be Kavanaghs on Dorset St? I walked by yesterday evening and the front has been changed but there was no new signage up

Also Doyles in phibsboro is being reopened by the same people who run Oscars in smithfield

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

The Tap near Smithfield has changed name to Taproom 47. Wasn't open yet when I passed it though.

snowblind wrote: »
    The Tap near Smithfield has changed name to Taproom 47. Wasn't open yet when I passed it though.

The Tap actually had a proper significance as a name - it was a brewery owned pub (Watkins Jameson Pim) and as such was a 'brewery tap' - not in the UK meaning of the closest tied house to the pub, but still.

Taproom 47 has no significance unless it actually is a brewery taproom. Which I doubt it will be. The Richmond beside it (perfectly fine inner suburb Dub pub) is what I'd expect but I'd be happy to be surprised.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Tap actually had a proper significance as a name - it was a brewery owned pub (Watkins Jameson Pim) and as such was a 'brewery tap'
    Presumably it was owned by Jameson & Pim before they merged with Watkins, since the brewery was just across the way on North Anne Street.

• Advertisement

I'd guess so - it's on the long term research list to dig in to more. The other The Tap was near Watkins brewery

matrim wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening with what used to be Kavanaghs on Dorset St? I walked by yesterday evening and the front has been changed but there was no new signage up

To answer my own question it's got a sign for wasabi bar and restaurant today. Probably the one across the road expanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

A little birdy has told me that Brewdog have agreed a lease in Dublin which will be signed soon and have already approached candidates for management. any speculation on where it might be?

any speculation on where it might be?
    You didn't hear this from me, but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

BeerNut wrote:
    You didn't hear this from me,

Woop Woop !! Crafties in the morning is an interesting idea :D

• Advertisement

ianob7 wrote: »
    Woop Woop !! Crafties in the morning is an interesting idea :D
    7am Saint. Rashah. Jet Black Pudding.

Couldn't see them using the early licence but stranger things have happened

loyatemu wrote: »
    Urban Brewing in the IFSC has been open a couple weeks now: https://www.urbanbrewing.ie

So what's the story with this? Anyone tried their beers? Looks like their tasting menu includes "Urban Brewing & O'Hara's beers". An O'Hara's venture?

Bottle list looks great with Lost Abbey etc but the prices are not so great. 43 euro for a 0.75 bottle of Rodenbach Grand Cru?

So what's the story with this? Anyone tried their beers? Looks like their tasting menu includes "Urban Brewing & O'Hara's beers". An O'Hara's venture?

Bottle list looks great with Lost Abbey etc but the prices are not so great. 43 euro for a 0.75 bottle of Rodenbach Grand Cru?

It's an Ohara's brewpub essentially.

I believe it's part owned by O'Haras. Any of their own beers that I've had are only ok. However the food is really nice so it's a nice place to go for a pint and dinner after work

matrim wrote: »
    I believe it's part owned by O'Haras. Any of their own beers that I've had are only ok. However the food is really nice so it's a nice place to go for a pint and dinner after work
    Might try the food and a simple beer.

Their own beers sound pretty bad and the bottle list is a mess. It's as if they just randomly chose some american imperial stouts and slapped 70e prices for them. It's one thing to do that with reputable rare brews but this is not that stuff. Hope their buyer doesn't post here :P

Their own beers sound pretty bad
    They're very hit and miss, but plentiful, so good for us tickers. The Cucumber and Sea Salt thing on at the moment is fun, and the Wild Atlantic Wave pale ale is genuinely quite good.

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're very hit and miss, but plentiful, so good for us tickers. The Cucumber and Sea Salt thing on at the moment is fun, and the Wild Atlantic Wave pale ale is genuinely quite good.
    Ok, I'll try to reserve judgment until I get some of that in my face

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Their own beers sound pretty bad and the bottle list is a mess. It's as if they just randomly chose some american imperial stouts and slapped 70e prices for them. It's one thing to do that with reputable rare brews but this is not that stuff. Hope their buyer doesn't post here :P

Prices, I think, reflect the area they are based in. I like the random selection though, it's something different from most other bars in Ireland which all rely on the same small number of beer importers.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Prices, I think, reflect the area they are based in. I like the random selection though, it's something different from most other bars in Ireland which all rely on the same small number of beer importers.

Yea sure, but I doubt they'll be shifting bottles of an american BA Imp Stout with less than 4 average on untappd for 70e, or a non BA stout with less than 4 average on untappd for 40. Not pissed off about the price as I wouldn't be interested in them anyways, I just don't think it's a good decision for them as a business. If I'm wrong, the Celtic Tiger has been reborn as quite a mutant beast!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yea sure, but I doubt they'll be shifting bottles of an american BA Imp Stout with less than 4 average on untappd for 70e, or a non BA stout with less than 4 average on untappd for 40. Not pissed off about the price as I wouldn't be interested in them anyways, I just don't think it's a good decision for them as a business. If I'm wrong, the Celtic Tiger has been reborn as quite a mutant beast!

I'd say they get quite a few company credit cards in there where money is no object, tbh.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'd say they get quite a few company credit cards in there where money is no object, tbh.

Bring the boss who's over visiting from the states to the local brew pub, spalsh out on some whale recognises on the menu, everyone's a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ha. They've got Westy 12 on the menu. Stupid prices, but if I could get someone else on a higher pay scale to pay on a night out I'd be laughing. A Westy 12 and a bottle of Wee Heavy and I'd be laughing..........and very very drunk...

I know why they put the large format, rare, expensive stuff top of the menu but it will easily scare off more casual customers

As does the desk inside the door - makes it look like you can't just head in for a pint when you absolutely can.

Neither are an issue if they stay busy, of course.

UK chain Pivovar announcing, via The Euston Tap Twitter account, that they've bought a pub on the edge of Temple Bar:
    https://twitter.com/eustontap/status/998582401684197376

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Couldn't see them using the early licence but stranger things have happened

I stand to be corrected here but I believe that the 2009 act doesn't allow for the early house hour exemption to be carried forward upon the transfer of the licence. Certainly you can't obtain a new early hours licence.

I stand to be corrected here but I believe that the 2009 act doesn't allow for the early house hour exemption to be carried forward upon the transfer of the licence. Certainly you can't obtain a new early hours licence.

Not a lawyer but my reading of it just that the general exemption order had to exist on May 30th 2008 for that premises, not that specific premises & licence holder.

Since that time period, at least Neds on Townsend Street changed licence holder and continued opening early - it has since closed. I have the registers back to 2010 if I really must check!

Pub on the edge of Temple Bar - assuming non-trading; The Meeting House restaurant has a theatre licence (convertible to a pub one by court order; or can be fudged around like 'Crow Bar' does at the Button Factory) and appears to be non-trading now. But I'd consider it pretty central.

Czech Inn was being refit but is already reopened (with an awful name)

Pub on the edge of Temple Bar
    I'm gonna keep banging the the drum for The Chancery. It's on the edge of a lot of things :D The only other pub I know of for sale is The Quays, and that's slap in the middle.

I'm gonna keep banging the the drum for The Chancery. It's on the edge of a lot of things :D The only other pub I know of for sale is The Quays, and that's slap in the middle.

Was the BrewDog suggestion for that based on insider knowledge or blind hope? :pac:

The Quays would be VERY expensive.

Chancery is a bit far. The former Fibbers/Company is just about on the 'edge' of Temple Bar in that its closer... would be some very dodgy old memories brought back if that was it!

• Advertisement

Was the BrewDog suggestion for that based on insider knowledge or blind hope?
    It was a joke. BrewDog need 5,000 sq. feet. I've never actually been in The Chancery but I suspect it's a little smaller than that.

It was a joke. BrewDog need 5,000 sq. feet. I've never actually been in The Chancery but I suspect it's a little smaller than that.

Why drewdog need 500sq feet? A lot of their bars are a lot smaller than that.

Why drewdog need 500sq feet? A lot of their bars are a lot smaller than that.
    Same reason they need anything: $$$. The early bars were small but they've got progressively bigger and now they've settled on a brewpub model which requires a lot of space.

They have some fairly recent openings that are way smaller than that; but their requests there start at over 3000 square foot regardless.

The only premises of that scale in Dublin I can think of that's licenced and vacant currently is The Vaults.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They have some fairly recent openings that are way smaller than that; but their requests there start at over 3000 square foot regardless.

The only premises of that scale in Dublin I can think of that's licenced and vacant currently is The Vaults.

That would make a nice little craft beer "quarter" with Brew Dock and Urban all within 2 minute's walk of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liamk

Nice job done on the fourth corner where Nash's used to be. Corner of Patrick Street, Keven street and Clanbrassil street

• Advertisement

They've said in the past that the site doesn't have to be licensed.

They've said in the past that the site doesn't have to be licensed.

Has anyone told them how awkward our planning permission and licence transfers can be?

Has anyone told them how awkward our planning permission and licence transfers can be?

I'd say Niall Phelan is well aware.

You don't get to be as Awesome as BrewDog by listening to advice like that. Though it might be why they've failed to secure a premises after several years of trying.

You don't get to be as Awesome as BrewDog by listening to advice like that. Though it might be why they've failed to secure a premises after several years of trying.

They have a premises. Announcement due this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement