Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

paska wrote: »
    I have been using revolut since I came across this thread in 2015.

I am thinking of switching my entire banking to Revolt.

What do you think?

I know it goes down some times but I am not asking about that . its more about security and all your cash in revolut. Is there a chance you can lose everything?

Has anyone taken the plunge and using revolut as their sole account?

I would be more inclined to go with n26 if I was switching my current account. That is an EU (german) licenced bank, so no brexit complications, no currency risk and is covered by deposit guarantee.

I have revolut because it is what my children have and it is handy to be able to transfer money instantly to them. Reading that back I am realising that I am actively assisting them to bleed me dry.... the joys of parenthood.

Does anyone know if you can use this with samsung pay? I would like to be able to pay contactless with my galaxy watch and BOI don't support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Is this the metal card?

Some have a use as there are some perks but you can get a free ordinary card and have no costs at all.

No I went into the app to order a normal physical card and the cost was coming up at 7.99 a month.

I’ll check again. Cheers.

No I went into the app to order a normal physical card and the cost was coming up at 7.99 a month.

Ah I see I can order a card for 5.99 but no monthly fee. It defaults to ‘free’ and I hit ‘upgrade options’ before.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Put a €10 or more on and if that offer is over they tend to eventually send you one out. Keep an eye on it.

Put a €10 or more on and if that offer is over they tend to eventually send you one out. Keep an eye on it.

I’ll do that. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Somebody might have asked/answered this, but has anyone used the stock trading option yet on the Revolut platform? I’d be very interested hearing some feedback!

I started using it this week. I know nothing about stock trading but thought I'd lump $20 onto it. I thought you could buy fractional shares, and maybe you can, but it didn't seem to allow it. Maybe I'm missing something but I could only buy individual shares and only having $20 really restricted what shares were available to me. Shares in a lot of of big name companies cost hundreds of dollars. You can only trade three times for free a month so I bought three shares - - to diversify my portfolio :-) - for a total of $18.40. I'll leave them there for a month and see what happens. So far I'm down 32c. I'm just doing it for fun and out of interest.
    I'd be interested in hearing if anybody else is doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

wait out for a bit and they will offer you a free card. so don't order anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Anyone having issues with Revolut and processing time of Bank Transfers? Did a UK bank transfer for £16k last night.

Did you ever get this resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

jakdublin wrote: »
    I started using it this week. I know nothing about stock trading but thought I'd lump $20 onto it. I thought you could buy fractional shares, and maybe you can, but it didn't seem to allow it. Maybe I'm missing something but I could only buy individual shares and only having $20 really restricted what shares were available to me. Shares in a lot of of big name companies cost hundreds of dollars. You can only trade three times for free a month so I bought three shares - - to diversify my portfolio :-) - for a total of $18.40. I'll leave them there for a month and see what happens. So far I'm down 32c. I'm just doing it for fun and out of interest.
    I'd be interested in hearing if anybody else is doing it too.

You can buy fractional shares alright - see about 17 mins into this: [MOD SNIP]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How do you transfer money from an Irish bank to your Revolut account? Is it an international transfer and Is it expensive?

I set one to replace an Ulster bank account I just use for some general stuff but was unable to setup the account as a beneficiary. I don’t think the Iban is Irish but it still wouldn’t let me setup and international beneficiary for some reason.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    How do you transfer money from an Irish bank to your Revolut account? Is it an international transfer and Is it expensive?

I set one to replace an Ulster bank account I just use for some general stuff but was unable to setup the account as a beneficiary. I don’t think the Iban is Irish but it still wouldn’t let me setup and international beneficiary for some reason.

You have a bic and IBAN and should be no cost unless your bank has fees for doing so.

You can use debit or credit card to top up or transfer too.

You have a bic and IBAN and should be no cost unless your bank has fees for doing so.

You can use debit or credit card to top up or transfer too.

Is it an international transfer that I tick moving from an Irish bank to my Revolut card?

Is it an international transfer that I tick moving from an Irish bank to my Revolut card?

What bank? It's how I do in mine.

What bank? It's how I do in mine.

Trying to transfer money from AIB to Revolut and it’s not letting me create a beneficiary for it.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just use your AIB card within the Revolut top up section, far quicker as it’s instant.

Thanks but It’s actually an AIB business account. I don’t use cards for it!! I just create beneficiary’s and Transfer money that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It has to be set up as a foreign beneficiary.

Edit: Sorry just read the last few posts after replying. You'll probably have to ask AIB how to set it up if it's not working.

It would flag as a foreign (UK) account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Your money is safe end of story.

Grand.

I'm sure we're all completely reassured by your expert opinion backed up by your detailed explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks but It’s actually an AIB business account. I don’t use cards for it!! I just create beneficiary’s and Transfer money that way.

I had the exact same issue. As my AIB Debit is business, the Revolut charges were quite high, so not using that.

Can't add Revolut ('foreign') as a beneficiary so have to transfer manually every time, using the AIB card reader... nightmare.

I just top up with my Credit Card now.

Crazy that AIB don't allow you to save foreign beneficiaries... no issue with BOI (not sure about others)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

msmx5 wrote: »
    Try searching the thread for "chargeback" :-) I had a pretty positive experience.

A week isn't a long time, given it might take a day or two for the claim to be approved and another few for the instruction to be issued to their bank and then another delay for the bank/credit card processor to reverse the transaction - you should only really instigate a chargeback once you have exhausted efforts with the merchant. I had to send proof that I had attempted to resolve the issue myself directly with the merchant and given them sufficient time to respond.

As you say maybe contact Revolut after 30 days but do persist with AirAsia customer support in the interim. I am sure they are inundated with customer support claims with all the cancellations associated with the unrest in Hong Kong.

Hope you get the money back soon - let us know how you get on if Revolut get involved.

The only way I can seem to make contact with AirAsia is Facebook.

Posted a message publicly, and they said they'll look into it.

I'm going to keep sending them messages every 2-3 days for 30 days asking for an update.

They have a chat bot. I was able to process the refund with the bot and I got a case number, they keep saying the case is 'In progress'.

At least this way if I get nowhere after 30 days, i'll have proof I did my best to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Has anyone had any success re. charge-back with Revolut?

I've had an AirAsia flight cancelled on me and applied for an automatic refund on the AirAsia website.... a week later no email confirmation (thankfully I took note of the case number).

Googling seems to have a lot of people never receive refunds, so considering contacting Revolut if no joy within 30 days.

I had a flight cancelled in April , same story, no email confirmation.

I did get the refund though but it took almost two months. It wasn't a huge amount and I'd forgotten about it when it arrived. I use them a lot and their refund process is very slow but in my experience it arrives in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Dardania wrote: »
    You can buy fractional shares alright - see about 17 mins into this:
    [MOD SNIP]

Ah, brilliant. I see how to do it now. Thanks pal. Is that your own vid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Still cant receive latest app update, already contacted tech support about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

I've decided against using revolut to store 1000€ worth of forex because the safety of deposits could not be verified. :mad:

A stonking great recession is due, and what with Bregzit uncertainty it seems like a bad time to rely on virtual wallets to safeguard my precious euros.:(

To be honest if 1000 euro is so important to you I don’t think you are in a financial position to be playing around with it in the first place.

To be honest if 1000 euro is so important to you I don’t think you are in a financial position to be playing around with it in the first place.

This isn't a dick measuring forum so I have no problem admitting 1000 is a lot to me.:pac:

It's just worthless putting it in a saving account with the ****e interest rates.:mad:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

This isn't a dick measuring forum so I have no problem admitting 1000 is a lot to me.:pac:

It's just worthless putting it in a saving account with the ****e interest rates.:mad:

You could just throw it into prize bonds. Your money is guaranteed and you might win €50 every now and then.

You could just throw it into prize bonds. Your money is guaranteed and you might win €50 every now and then.

I looked into that but people on this site have 100s of thousands and barely win anything, so what hope would I have with my measly 1000 quid?:(

I'll try to find a more secure forex vault than revolut.

I looked into that but people on this site have 100s of thousands and barely win anything, so what hope would I have with my measly 1000 quid?:(

I'll try to find a more secure forex vault than revolut.

N26

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

My card(virtual)is up at the end of the month and I’ve just been prompted to order a new one which I did. It arrived instantly so now I have two cards in my wallet, the older MasterCard one and a new Visa one.

Can I just use the new one now as I please or do I have to delete the old one or anything like that? It doesn’t expire until the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread but is the travel insurance that comes with the platinum card any good? A bit wary of relying on it for USA. TIA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement