Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: Cambodia(US) — Second Chance - [** SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm guessing contestants had their own campaigns to get votes to get in. I’d say a number who missed out may not have been as active in this. I would have actually preferred if the producers just picked the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Because the vast majority of voters will have been blow ins that only started watching over the past few seasons so would've probably been voting for the most recent people that they recognised. I doubt it was rigged, or there's no way Shane Powers and Stephanie Valencia wouldn't have gotten put back in - the general public are just idiots to be fair.

Although just because she was voted out pre-merge in her previous season doesn't mean Kelly Wentworth shouldn't be in there. I've watched Survivor since the very beginning, seen every season and she still stood out for me as one that should go back in, so I'm sure others would've seen the potential of sending her back too.

It definitely had to be recent viewers who cast the vast majority of the votes,how else could the great crazy Shane Powers not have got a slot?Mesmerised,absolute Survivor legend!Deserved a second shot at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

seligehgit wrote: »
    It definitely had to be recent viewers who cast the vast majority of the votes,how else could the great crazy Shane Powers not have got a slot?Mesmerised,absolute Survivor legend!Deserved a second shot at it.

I was actually gutted when he wasn't picked. They definitely need to bring him back at some point - he's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ha, totally forgot about him:

Thargor wrote: »
    Ha, totally forgot about him:

He was the stand-out star of that season and should've been voted back in. I was so angry that f***ing Woo got brought back over Shane - why do people love Woo so much? He's an idiot, he's useless and has zero entertainment value!!!

Hopefully the producers will have the foresight to bring Shane back at some point.

• Advertisement

Yeah I just don't get the whole buzz around goofy Woo,puzzling!

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah I just don't get the whole buzz around goofy Woo,puzzling!

The other 9 guys who got voted back in, I can understand why people wanted them back in there, but Woo just makes no sense whatsoever - especially with the likes of Shane and Troyzan on the ballot and could've gone back in over Woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm guessing contestants had their own campaigns to get votes to get in. I’d say a number who missed out may not have been as active in this. I would have actually preferred if the producers just picked the group.

Apparently the voting numbers were so high that any campaigning was irrelevant. Unless the producers are lying about the tally.

I think the biggest flaw was the voting system itself. You had to pick 20 players to have your say didn't you. I'm guessing most people picked 2/3 of their favorite male and female cast members and then had to fill up the remaining slots with familiar faces.

Despite my railing against Abi, Savage and Tasha made the right choice by keeping her. She's a loose cannon but better in challenges and it guaranteed them the numbers for the next vote presuming they didn't cross her. So funny to see Woo not having an idea what's happening (once again) and as I said after lat week's episode Terry has no real idea what he's doing.

I liked the way the teams split and the good game play of those on the outside of the numbers trying to make their way into alliances.

Enjoying the season thus far!

I would've definitely also sided with Abi if I were in there position too. She's a pain and somewhat crazy, but she's not particularly good at strategy, which makes her easy to manipulate. Someone like Abi would be a dream to work with if she trusts you and really the key to gaining and keeping her trust is to just keep her sweet. Peih Gee on the other hand overthinks everything and is completely wishy washy, so the perfect person to target early on. I'd love if Woo went next week - such an awful player and who the hell thought it was a good idea to tag him in to do the puzzle when Tasha was doing a pretty good job with it already. That tribe is a mess.

Great season so far.

• Advertisement

Yip great call to go with Abi rather than Peih Gee,vital to check her sweet though as her loyalty is a very much tradable commodity.Glad Savage and Tasha are showing a bit of savvy.Absolutely love Woo's gormless expressions at tribal,what just happened?Nice guy,terrible player.Delighted Jeff's faux pas did'nt blow him out of the game,real character.

Dietz's tribe looks likely to dominate the ICs,the original 4 tribe members and Kelley.

Spencer is coming to a realisation that he's not going to win the game behaving like a robotic strategist lacking any emotional skills or empathy towards his fellow competitors,good call.

Tad disappointing how easy it was for Jeremy to grab the HII at the IC,no real risk or tension which presumably was the reasoning behind the introduction of this initially existing concept.Hopefully a greater element of difficulty will be a feature of future HIIs.

Just realised how well Monica and Kelley are looking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Love the idea of putting the HIIs in the challenges. Definitely adds to the drama. Hopefully someone gets caught grabbing one this season - it'd make for fun TV.

Good season so far.

Mr E wrote: »
    Love the idea of putting the HIIs in the challenges. Definitely adds to the drama. Hopefully someone gets caught grabbing one this season - it'd make for fun TV.

Good season so far.
    Its genius, everyone will be paranoid about it in future series now aswell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

They needed to do something, the idols were just too easy to find - most people dont even need a clue now.

So do they only add an idol to the IC if someone finds the clue or will they always be there? If the clue isnt found before the relevant IC do they replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Hyzepher wrote: »

So do they only add an idol to the IC if someone finds the clue or will they always be there? If the clue isnt found before the relevant IC do they replace it?

An idol is only placed at the IC if someone finds a clue however they always have a hiding location planned just in case :)

For the challenge where they had to run up and over the giant triangle things the idol would have been hidden at the side of one of them.

I have no idea why two of the tribes on the reward challenge didn't put Woo and Joe forward. Seemed like the old guys wanted to show that they still had it, even if it killed them in the process.

Abi once again showing what a liability she is by loosing her mind about people talking to Woo. Presume she'll be next out the door if they lose again.

Shame to see Varner go. He put in a good effort while he was there to be fair to him.

I actually like Abi. I mean, I can't stand her, but I also like her for some strange reason. I still maintain if you're on her good side, she's good to keep around, because she's an easily manipulated vote in favour of your numbers and if you could stomach her nonsense all the way to the finals, she's not gonna get any votes...

Shame to see Varner go. He put in a good effort while he was there to be fair to him.

I actually like Abi. I mean, I can't stand her, but I also like her for some strange reason. I still maintain if you're on her good side, she's good to keep around, because she's an easily manipulated vote in favour of your numbers and if you could stomach her nonsense all the way to the finals, she's not gonna get any votes...

I agree but staying on her good side is much easier said than done. She can take massive offense to the most minor incident and you cant risk that happening at the most inopportune moment. How easily manipulated she is is both a blessing and a curse, trying to keep track of her 24/7 without offending her would be a total nightmare and would definitely mess with the rest of your game.

I agree but staying on her good side is much easier said than done. She can take massive offense to the most minor incident and you cant risk that happening at the most inopportune moment. How easily manipulated she is is both a blessing and a curse, trying to keep track of her 24/7 without offending her would be a total nightmare and would definitely mess with the rest of your game.

That's true. If I was actually there on a Tribe with her, I'm sure I'd be desperate to vote her out, but I do get why from a strategic point of view it's good to keep her around for now. Every alliance you make will be risky though and you always gotta keep your allies sweet.

I'd love to see an Irish version of Survivor. It would make for a very different social sort of game.

That's true. If I was actually there on a Tribe with her, I'm sure I'd be desperate to vote her out, but I do get why from a strategic point of view it's good to keep her around for now. Every alliance you make will be risky though and you always gotta keep your allies sweet.

I'd love to see an Irish version of Survivor. It would make for a very different social sort of game.

I think going with Woo is a much lower risk and higher reward alliance than tying yourself to Abi. He tends to keep to his word, has negative tactical awareness, and is a physical threat (currently helps in winning tribe challenges and post merge is a target for others and could stops an opposing challenge beast from going on a challenge run). I also really doubt educated players (as most of these second time players would be) would give him their votes at final tribal unless you majorly crossed them all.

Irish version Survivor would be amazing but it could take a few seasons to get the public/players up to speed on the strategic side of things.

• Advertisement

Irish version Survivor would be amazing but it could take a few seasons to get the public/players up to speed on the strategic side of things.

I'm sure there's plenty of Irish people familiar enough with the game already - TG4 would hardly still be showing the series 14 years later if nobody was watching to be fair. I'd love to see it happen though - I'd say we're a much more devious bunch than the majority of the US players... A nation of Russel Hantz's... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That was a great episode. Loved the back and forth between Woo and Varner at the end, along with both challenges. Thought they'd nominate Joe instead of Dietz but Dietz was still good, and got to see Joe dominate in the immunity challenge still.

Quite liking this season so far, has had a good start, hopefully continues like this

I think going with Woo is a much lower risk and higher reward alliance than tying yourself to Abi. He tends to keep to his word, has negative tactical awareness, and is a physical threat (currently helps in winning tribe challenges and post merge is a target for others and could stops an opposing challenge beast from going on a challenge run). I also really doubt educated players (as most of these second time players would be) would give him their votes at final tribal unless you majorly crossed them all.

I'm sure there's plenty of Irish people familiar enough with the game already - TG4 would hardly still be showing the series 14 years later if nobody was watching to be fair. I'd love to see it happen though - I'd say we're a much more devious bunch than the majority of the US players... A nation of Russel Hantz's... :D
    There was Treasure Island, and it was brilliant even though the production was a low quality mess compared to the real thing, would love to see an Irish Survivor though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Island_(show)

There was Treasure Island, and it was brilliant even though the production was a low quality mess compared to the real thing, would love to see an Irish Survivor though:

I remember watching that, it was a good bit of entertainment. As far as I recall there were some completely daft strategic decisions made during it (as always you never know what an edit has left out)

I remember watching that, it was a good bit of entertainment. As far as I recall there were some completely daft strategic decisions made during it (as always you never know what an edit has left out)
    I remember one big lad found €20 in a pants pocket and tried to bribe a showrunner to bring him some food and they set him up, sent him a big bag of food then kicked him out and gave the food to the other team, it was hilarious.

The runner-up was a taxi driver around Dublin for years when I was in college, never discussed the show with him though.

I remember a final challenge for the 50k which was just a total mess because they put a bit too much math and compass directions in the clues, so it just devolved into a few panicked people running around the island pulling up bushes and digging holes.

The winner finally dug down and hit the treasure chest in a very suspicious fashion, it was just a total random burial site on a big blank beach from what I remember and she'd been totally lost like the rest up to that point, anyway she was digging it out and taxi driver came running up to look and she started screaming at him to get the fcuk away from her and calling him names while she dug it up, it was a very Irish reality show alright :D

I remember one big lad found €20 in a pants pocket and tried to bribe a showrunner to bring him some food and they set him up, sent him a big bag of food then kicked him out and gave the food to the other team, it was hilarious.

The runner-up was a taxi driver around Dublin for years when I was in college, never discussed the show with him though.

I remember a final challenge for the 50k which was just a total mess because they put a bit too much math and compass directions in the clues, so it just devolved into a few panicked people running around the island pulling up bushes and digging holes.

The winner finally dug down and hit the treasure chest in a very suspicious fashion, it was just a total random burial site on a big blank beach from what I remember and she'd been totally lost like the rest up to that point, anyway she was digging it out and taxi driver came running up to look and she started screaming at him to get the fcuk away from her and calling him names while she dug it up, it was a very Irish reality show alright :D

That's all coming back to me now.

There was a lot more attempts at cheating (cute hoorism) than any of the US Survivors. I don't think any top the guy from the UK version who smuggled multiple sausages where the sun don't shine. :eek:

That's all coming back to me now.

There was a lot more attempts at cheating (cute hoorism) than any of the US Survivors. I don't think any top the guy from the UK version who smuggled multiple sausages where the sun don't shine. :eek:
    Oh yeah you just reminded me, one team got fire on the first night, claiming it was one lads pair of glasses that did it even though it was nearly sunset when they go there, turned out a couple of them had smuggled in cigarette lighters :D

Was the English one called Treasure Island aswell? Might try and track it down...

Oh yeah you just reminded me, one team got fire on the first night, claiming it was one lads pair of glasses that did it even though it was nearly sunset when they go there, turned out a couple of them had smuggled in cigarette lighters :D

Was the English one called Treasure Island aswell? Might try and track it down...

Nah, it was UK version of Survivor. It only lasted two seasons though. For the initial season they tried to do similar as they do with most UK reality shows and have several episodes a week rather than the tried and trusted US once a week scheduling, that allows much more freedom to edit. Think it really hurt the long term appeal of the show, with the 1 million prize money being another hindrance to it continuing long term.

Nah, it was UK version of Survivor. It only lasted two seasons though. For the initial season they tried to do similar as they do with most UK reality shows and have several episodes a week rather than the tried and trusted US once a week scheduling, that allows much more freedom to edit. Think it really hurt the long term appeal of the show, with the 1 million prize money being another hindrance to it continuing long term.
    Thats bizarre, I never heard of it, 14 years ago we would have been watching normal Survivor aswell, the million prize would have made the news too, I have no memory of it at all:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I remember it, was crap although I still watched every episode of both seasons and even have some on VHS :D

Do you remember the show where they sailed a ship around Ireland but the ship crashed during the show and have of the contestants chose not to return (they had renamed the ship for the show which according to sea farers is a curse hence why it crashed).
    I remember watching that, it was a good bit of entertainment. As far as I recall there were some completely daft strategic decisions made during it (as always you never know what an edit has left
    out)

It was weird how in Season 1 they had the contestants answer questions on a computer and the person to get the most wrong would have to leave the island!

Ha ha the above is spot on from my memories apparently from randomly hitting the treasure chest, from what I remember it just took them ages. Remember the decoy in the water (green thing) where they both wrestled for it and he almost took her top off :D

The winner of that season moved to Australia as soon as the show aired.

Advertisement