Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Stars Hurling 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Lot of Galway players being mentioned. The reality is they won nothing and got beaten handy by Kilkenny twice. They'll still get the second most but how many of them can you give all stars like?

Having played 7 championship matches this summer in additional to being all ireland finalists will ensure they will be well represented!! KK obviously will top the total number of awards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

Lot of Galway players being mentioned. The reality is they won nothing and got beaten handy by Kilkenny twice. They'll still get the second most but how many of them can you give all stars like?

In fairness Callinan has been the top keeper in this year's c'ship and Daithi Burke has been excellent, as has David Burke in midfield. (Padraig Mannion bit unlucky, had a great season Tipp match apart). Given that Galway have been prolific scorers this year it would be strange in the least for one forward not to get an award, would give it to Canning myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

donnem33 wrote: »
    Having played 7 championship matches this summer in additional to being all ireland finalists will ensure they will be well represented!! KK obviously will top the total number of awards

Oh no doubt, but like I'm not sure of the merit of it even if it is reality. All about exposure I suppose. But the other two teams did win a Munster and League title so more than entitled to stake a claim.

Kilkenny so far ahead of everyone that they are looking at minimum 7. Galway could get 4, but I've seen about 10 players mentioned which is a bit ridiculous.

@MFman, agree on Callanan. Daithi Burke is worth one. David Burke was good but think Conor Fogarty deserves one and Fennelly is a cert.

They deserve at least one forward alright, would not agree on Canning. Mannion would be my choice even if he was poor yesterday, Flynn the next choice (played well in every game).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Oh no doubt, but like I'm not sure of the merit of it even if it is reality. All about exposure I suppose. But the other two teams did win a Munster and League title so more than entitled to stake a claim.

Kilkenny so far ahead of everyone that they are looking at minimum 7. Galway could get 4, but I've seen about 10 players mentioned which is a bit ridiculous.

Kilkenny won League, Leinster and All Ireland last year but received less than Tipp who they beat in two finals. Titles mean nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Canning has to get one. The fact Seamie Callinan has been probably the best all round out and out forward dents his chances of getting in at full forward but people seem to forget that even with that bad day against Cork, he still racked up staggering scores from play all year. I agree 100% with the comment that he's a victim of his own standards, one of the truest comments I have seen on here. But if Ger Aylward, Maurice Shanahan and Johnny bloody Glynn are being picked, for what over Joe?

Would love to see one of the two Waterford lads to get Young Hurler. De Burcá and Gleeson are phenomenal players, but it has to Mannion. Fair enough he had a shocker yesterday, but his displays all year have been superb. One of the best all round forwards this year, regardless of age

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Colm Callanan

Paul Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Noel Connors

Daithi Burke
    Tadgh De Burca
    Cillian Buckley

Michael Fennelly
    Conor Fogarty

Jonathan Glynn
    Richie Hogan
    TJ Reid

Joe Canning
    Seamus Callinan
    Maurice Shanahan

Goalkeeper's an easy one. Callanan has a had a good year and has looked good on the eye while doing so.

Full back was a toss up in one of the corners. I think Connors contributed more to Waterford than Barrett to be honest. Not much in them though.

Half backs pick themselves. Don't agree with Padraig Walsh getting one. He's been good, but not outstanding. Consistant is the key phrase here regarding Walsh I think.

Midfield was tough. Obviously Fennelly has to get one and physically had to flip a coin between Fogarty and David Burke

Half forwards was relatively straight forward. Struggling to think of a half-forward more worthy of an inclusion than Glynn mind.

Full forwards was a simple one. All of these men were the stars for their respective teams. Just because Joe Canning didn't line out as a corner forward doesn't mean he doesn't deserve an All-Star. I'm sorry, but for all the good Ger Aylward has done, he hasn't been better than Canning this season. I'm a Kilkenny man as well, so no Galway bias here. None of the Kilkenny full-forwards had the same impact as the three individuals.

Before people get on to me regarding '...but who won the All-Ireland?' It doesn't matter diddly squat when judging All-Stars. These are judged on the best players of the season and none of the Kilkenny full-forwards were better than any of the three in that full-forward line I've named.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Callanan
    Murphy
    Holden
    Barrett
    Burke
    De Burca
    Buckley
    Burke
    Fennely
    Canning
    Hogan
    Reid
    Mannian
    Callanan
    Shanahan.

Think that's what I'd go with. Weakest line is the full backline I think, not many truly outstanding candidates back there. For example everyone including myself picked Holden full back and I don't think he was that outstanding to be honest, thought joe had him in trouble both games if enough proper ball was given in to him. But Holden was solid generally in fairness in a year there was a dearth of quality full back play.

I think canning and mannion have to be in there in the forwards and can't believe neither made the Sunday game team. They were by far the 2 highest scoring players from play in the championship (though I know we had by far the most games).

Can't work out how Glynn made the Sunday game team. He was brilliant against Cork but very average in every other game. Aylward and Larkin were very unlucky to miss out on the team I picked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I think

Colm Callanan

Paul Murphy
    Joey Holden
    A

Daithi Burke
    Tadgh De Burca
    Cillian Buckley

Michael Fennelly
    B

Jonathan Glynn
    Richie Hogan
    TJ Reid

C
    Seamus Callinan
    Maurice Shanahan

I think 12 are more or less straight forward enough but 3 are in the melting pot.

A - Cathal Barrett and Noel Connors will more than likely get this, hard to know which, but a shout out to Johnny Coen here too.
    B - Moran and David Burke are my front runners here. Fogarty had a good year but I think the formers were just more influential. Burke might swing it after a great display in the AI Final
    C - Shoot-Out between Canning and Mannion for this one. Might give it to Joe if Mannion get YPOTY.

YPOTY - Cathal Mannion my pick here. Holden and Austin Gleeson not far off him but Mannion had a great year.
    POTY - TJ Reid is the man for me here. Hard to know who else will be nominated, maybe Seamus Callanan and Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

T0001 wrote: »
    YPOTY - Cathal Mannion my pick here. Holden and Austin Gleeson not far off him but Mannion had a great year.
    POTY - TJ Reid is the man for me here. Hard to know who else will be nominated, maybe Seamus Callanan and Hogan

Joey Holden is about 26 so I would assume that would rule him out for YPOTY. What is the criteria by the way?

I would think Mannion has a good chance of getting it but was very poor in both games against KK.

Joey Holden is about 26 so I would assume that would rule him out for YPOTY. What is the criteria by the way?

I would think Mannion has a good chance of getting it but was very poor in both games against KK.

You must be under 21 and I think players can no longer win it if they have already won it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Barrett and Connors is a close one but Barrett was rock solid again on year and I'd have him ahead.

Not sure why people are surprised Canning didn't get one. He wasn't near the best 6 forwards in the country.

Colm Callanan is a certainty for keeper. Gleeson was poor against Galway and some of his puck outs were atrocious in that game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

glued wrote: »
    Colm Callanan is a certainty for keeper. Gleeson was poor against Galway and some of his puck outs were atrocious in that game too.

Is Eoin Murphy not even worthy of mention? It does seem very difficult for a Kilkenny goalkeeper to win an All Star.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Is Eoin Murphy not even worthy of mention? It does seem very difficult for a Kilkenny goalkeeper to win an All Star.

He made one bad blunder there on Sunday. I like him but I don't really remember him being outstanding. In fairness, Callanan but in the best display all year in the semi final as well as making a great save from a pen v Dublin.

To be honest, I don't think any of the three keepers before Murphy were great to be honest. Lucky they had such a quality defense in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

He made one bad blunder there on Sunday. I like him but I don't really remember him being outstanding. In fairness, Callanan but in the best display all year in the semi final as well as making a great save from a pen v Dublin.

To be honest, I don't think any of the three keepers before Murphy were great to be honest. Lucky they had such a quality defense in front of them.

I think Eoin Murphy is as good as any keeper around at the moment. I also thought James McGarry was outstanding and never got the credit he deserved.

I think Eoin Murphy is as good as any keeper around at the moment. I also thought James McGarry was outstanding and never got the credit he deserved.

I can't agree on McGarry, but Eoin Murphy is talented no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

James McGarry was a very good keeper but two things hindered his chances of getting an All-Star in my opinion: (i) the standard of goalkeepers was extremely good, Cummins, Davy Fitz, Damien Fitzhenry, Donal Og Cusack; and (ii) the KK backs were do good that McGarry didn't have that many saves to make. So that meant he had less opportunities to make spectacular saves like Cummins did especially.

Three goalkeepers get nominated don't they? I think Murphy should be rewarded with a nomination anyway, along with Gleeson and Callinan. Although Stephen O'Keefe mightn't be too far away either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

glued wrote: »
    Barrett and Connors is a close one but Barrett was rock solid again on year and I'd have him ahead.

Not sure why people are surprised Canning didn't get one. He wasn't near the best 6 forwards in the country.

What 6 were better and based on what/where were they better?

The nominations for the GAA GPA All-Stars, along with Hurler of the Year and Young Hurler of the Year, have been announced.

This year the system of selection has changed. Outfield players have been nominated in broader categories of defence, centrefield and attack rather than by their line on the field. This was decided on in order to reflect the growing fluidity of positional play with both football and hurling.

2015 GAA GPA Hurling All-Stars nominations:

Goalkeepers: Colm Callanan (Galway), Eoin Murphy (Kilkenny), Darren Gleeson (Tipperary).

Defenders: Daithí Burke (Galway), Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny), Joey Holden (Kilkenny), Paul Murphy (Kilkenny), Pádraic Walsh (Kilkenny), Johnny Coen (Galway), Iarla Tannion (Galway), Pádraig Mannion (Galway), Kieran Joyce (Kilkenny), Pádraic Maher (Tipperary), Cathal Barrett (Tipperary), James Barry (Tipperary), Noel Connors (Waterford), Tadhg de Búrca (Waterford), Shane Fives (Waterford), Austin Gleeson (Waterford), Barry Coughlan (Waterford), Philip Mahony (Waterford).

Centrefielders: Andrew Smith (Galway), David Burke (Galway), Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny), Conor Fogarty (Kilkenny), Kevin Moran (Waterford), Jamie Barron (Waterford).

Forwards: Tony Kelly (Clare), Séamus Harnedy (Cork), Mark Schutte (Dublin), Cathal Mannion (Galway), Jason Flynn (Galway), Jonathan Glynn (Galway), Joe Canning (Galway), Conor Whelan (Galway), Ger Aylward (Kilkenny), TJ Reid (Kilkenny), Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny), Richie Hogan (Kilkenny), Brendan Maher (Tipperary), John O’Dwyer (Tipperary), Séamus Callanan (Tipperary), Colin Dunford (Waterford), Maurice Shanahan (Waterford), Michael Walsh (Waterford).

Player of the Year: TJ Reid (Kilkenny), Richie Hogan (Kilkenny), Séamus Callanan (Tipperary).

Young Player of the Year: Jason Flynn (Galway), Cathal Mannion (Galway), Tadhg de Búrca (Waterford).

The hurling All-Stars will be announced (Thursday) morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

The hurling All-Stars will be announced (Thursday) morning.

Congratulations to Noel Connors, Maurice Shanahan and Tadgh de Burca who were selected on the 2015 All Star Team

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I see the Irish Times (online edition, anyway) refers to it as 'The 2016 Hurling All Stars XV'.

Might as well post the team for completeness sake:

2015 GAA GPA Hurling All-Star Team:

1. Colm Callanan (Galway)
    2. Paul Murphy (Kilkenny)
    3. Joey Holden (Kilkenny)
    4. Noel Connors (Waterford)
    5. Daithí Burke (Galway)
    6. Tadhg de Búrca (Waterford)
    7.Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny)
    8. Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny)
    9. David Burke (Galway)
    10. Cathal Mannion (Galway),
    11. Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)
    12. TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    13. Ger Aylward (Kilkenny)
    14. Séamus Callanan (Tipperary)
    15. Maurice Shanahan (Waterford)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

Seems to be de rigeur these times for everyone to be disdainful of Joe Canning's annual contribution, but say what you will, his omission is plain wrong from the list. Top scorer in the c'ship and has scored from play in every game. Not at all wishing to start a KK/Galway war or anything, but Shefflin etc. made a career on as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Aylward over Canning or Flynn is a bit much tbh

Cant understand how Padraig Mannion was omitted.
    Fair enough he was stung for 3 goals against Tipp but should just three catches by your opposition number be so damaging?.

What about that lad who's caught for 3/4 points a game, same thing really just from a different area of the pitch.

He actually played ok apart from the three goals and didn't put a foot wrong in the other 5/6 games.

Makes even less sense when Cathal gets one, he had good games but was anonymous for two games.
    Don't get how a forward getting cleaned out twice is less damaging than getting caught for three balls as a makeshift FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

TDB was the best centre back in inter county hurling in 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

thought austin glesson was waterfords best player and should really be getting an all star imo. cathal barrett very unlucky as well nominated for motm in nearly every game he played this year!! ger alward deserves one scored 3 points in an all ireland, 4 in the semi and 3-5 against wexford..

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Cant understand how Padraig Mannion was omitted.
    Fair enough he was stung for 3 goals against Tipp but should just three catches by your opposition number be so damaging?.

What about that lad who's caught for 3/4 points a game, same thing really just from a different area of the pitch.

He actually played ok apart from the three goals and didn't put a foot wrong in the other 5/6 games.

Makes even less sense when Cathal gets one, he had good games but was anonymous for two games.
    Don't get how a forward getting cleaned out twice is less damaging than getting caught for three balls as a makeshift FB.

Are you being serious? He got a solid jaysus roasting off caĺlinan end of,no all star good luck to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

citykat wrote: »
    TDB was the best centre back in inter county hurling in 2015?
    Well they don't have a sweeper position in the All Stars so they had to put him somewhere, unless you think he doesn't deserve an All Star? Players are often not in their correct position in All Star teams.

Advertisement