Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Stars Hurling 2015

Options
  • 19-08-2015 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭

Fairly sure there is no thread on this. That time of the year again to start guessing.

1. Colm Callanan (Galway)
    2. Paul Murphy (Kilkenny)
    3. Joey Holden (Kilkenny)
    4. Cathal Barrett (Tipperary)
    5. Daithi Burke (Galway)
    6. Tadhg Bourke (Waterford)
    7. Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny)
    8. Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny)
    9. Conor Fogarty (Kilkenny)
    10. John O Dwyer (Tipperary)
    11. Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)
    12. TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    13. Cathal Mannion (Galway)
    14. Seamus Callanan (Tipperary)
    15. Maurice Shanahan (Waterford)

POTY= Richie Hogan
    YPOTY= Cathal Mannion

Kilkenny=7
    Galway=3
    Tipp=3
    Waterford=2

Would say that Jason Flynn, Joe Canning (if he has any sort of a game no doubt he'll feature), Andy Smyth, David Burke and Johnny Coen would be in contention if Galway manage to pull off a win.

For Kilkenny I think that Ger Aylward and maybe Padraig Walsh have a chance to get their names in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

I'd probably get Andy Smyth or David Burke in midfield instead of Fennelly who looked a little off the pace to me against Waterford but that's a fair enough team as it stands I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Figsy32 wrote: »
    I'd probably get Andy Smyth or David Burke in midfield instead of Fennelly who looked a little off the pace to me against Waterford but that's a fair enough team as it stands I would say.

I thought Fennelly had a monster of a game against waterford until the last 10 mins when he tired due to lack of training!!

at the moment however I wouldnt name him as an all star but it all depends on how the final goes!! same for a few more positions!! realistically galway and kk will have approx 11/12 between them and with waterford and tipp getting the remaining spots! after bubbles performance last sun i dont think he will feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It really has been an uninspiring year for hurling, bar the semi-final the last day. A lot of one-sided matches. And while there have been plenty of good individual performances, you're more likely to take note of them in tight matches.

I would say that Maurice is a certainty, I would say Callanan is too, TJ Reid definitely is and I'd imagine both Hogan & Mannion are.

That leaves one place in the forwards. Bubbles was class in Munster, but that was only two games and was poor against Galway. Place open for a big performance, particularly from a Galway player- Canning is a pundit's favourite after all- Flynn & Glynn have had their moments too. It will come down to final performance, I think, I don't see Bubbles getting it- I'd say Aylward is most likely from a KK point of view. I wouldn't completely write off one of the other Waterford forwards either- Brick got through a mountain of work this year, as did Jake Dillon.

Midfield seems to go to KK by default, although thus far, Jamie Barron gives them a serious run for their money, Kevin Moran too. Fennelly missed the Leinster final after all, so he'll need a good final to ensure his spot. David Burke will be there or thereabouts too.

Buckley & De Burca are nailed-on certainties. Daithi Burke, Padraig Walsh, Austin Gleeson will be close. Paudie Maher won't get it after his semi-final performance, I wouldn't think. Gleeson is a big favourite of the media too, which does play a part sometimes and he did have a good year.

In the backline, poor Padraig Mannion has been Galway's best back so far but he was so thoroughly dismantled by Callanan, he has no hope, much like Shane O'Neill in 2013. Barrett was excellent against Galway, I'd give him a big shout. Hard to look beyond Paul Murphy. James Barry & Joey Holden have both been solid but I wouldn't say there's been a standout full-back this year. Noel Connors will miss out but will be unlucky. Coen has an outside chance of surpassing Barrett if he has a big final.

Goalkeeper between Callanan & Gleeson, but Callanan has to be a firm favourite.

There are no players beyond the four semi-finalists that you'd even halfway consider. Cork were so dire against Galway that it nullifies any decent performances, Limerick, Clare & Wexford were simply very poor, Dublin were a bit more respectable but I still can't think of any players that would even begin to push for a place.

I'd say TJ is out in front for POTY atm, Richie Hogan a big contender. If Galway were to actually beat Kilkenny, I'm not sure if one of their players would get the spot. Maybe Cathal Mannion or Colm Callanan? It would depend on what those KK lads do in the final too.

Mannion must be favourite for YPOTY, along with De Burca (he was U-21 this year, wasn't he). Gleeson will round out the nominees, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Mark Schutte is an honourable mention think he acquitted himself very well in every game he played in but doubt Dublin will get an all star, hard to politically serve everyone fairly between League, Leinster, Munster champs and Galway. We could potentially have a different winner of all the major championships this year, I wonder would that put all the talk of championship structures and a really bad championship into perspective ;) Anyway I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Fairly sure there is no thread on this. That time of the year again to start guessing.

5. Daithi Burke (Galway)
    12. TJ Reid (Kilkenny)

POTY= Richie Hogan
    YPOTY= Cathal Mannion

Kilkenny=7
    Galway=3
    Tipp=3
    Waterford=2

Would say that Jason Flynn, Joe Canning (if he has any sort of a game no doubt he'll feature), Andy Smyth, David Burke and Johnny Coen would be in contention if Galway manage to pull off a win.

For Kilkenny I think that Ger Aylward and maybe Padraig Walsh have a chance to get their names in.
    I'd have no problem that team but Gleasson who was good v kk tells lot but all season imo has be on team some where

• Advertisement

I'd have no problem that team but Gleasson who was good v kk tells lot but all season imo has be on team some where

Who would you drop? Don't think Waterford will get more than two, for me Bourke was better than him. Absolutely sensational in the Munster Final, Aussie was ok at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Unless a new sweeper position is up for grabs don't see how you could make a case for de Burca. He looked good but in truth if there's nobody marking you or you don't have to mark someone, you're gonna look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

5. Daithi Burke (Galway)
    12. TJ Reid (Kilkenny)

POTY= Richie Hogan
    YPOTY= Cathal Mannion

Kilkenny=7
    Galway=3
    Tipp=3
    Waterford=2

Close enough I'd say, but with Galway-bias would have Jason Flynn edging out Bubbles at the moment, he's really been significant in practically all Galway's c'ship games to date. Also think Andy Smith would be ahead of Fennelly, the latter has only had 2 (?) games so far whereas Smith has quietly been a mainstay all through. Hanbury for the FB line? Actually really quite good v Cork and Tipp.

citykat wrote: »
    Unless a new sweeper position is up for grabs don't see how you could make a case for de Burca. He looked good but in truth if there's nobody marking you or you don't have to mark someone, you're gonna look good.

He's had to play in between the lines to cut out the delivery and deny the goal threat, Waterford conceded 2 goals from play in 4 games. There's also limited space in a forward line so it's not like he was standing on his own without anybody near him.

How many balls did he hit? He caught balls above others on several occasions, and I saw him burst out and break tackles regularly but most importantly his distribution was immaculate, which is fantastic for a 20 year old. Scored a super point v Cork too.

That's the case made anyway, well worth in my view but I reckon it will be close. One of him and Gleeson will get one Id imagine.

MfMan wrote: »
    Close enough I'd say, but with Galway-bias would have Jason Flynn edging out Bubbles at the moment, he's really been significant in practically all Galway's c'ship games to date. Also think Andy Smith would be ahead of Fennelly, the latter has only had 2 (?) games so far whereas Smith has quietly been a mainstay all through. Hanbury for the FB line? Actually really quite good v Cork and Tipp.

Hanbury no, but the other two would be quite close. I've been a fan of Jason Flynn since I saw him last year, surprised with the stick he was getting in Galway and I didn't even realize then how young he was.

When you look at Smyths contribution, he seems to be the man launching the attacks from which pivotal scores have come from. Definitely in contention, but there was an element of expectation in my selection too. Fennelly was immense against Waterford I thought, and if he is fit to play against Galway then I'd imagine he'll have himself well in contention by the end of the game.

I'd be predicting a Kilkenny win hence the numbers, and acknowledging that while Galway deserve credit for making the final that in that scenario they wouldn't actually have won anything where the other three would.

• Advertisement

He's had to play in between the lines to cut out the delivery and deny the goal threat, Waterford conceded 2 goals from play in 4 games. There's also limited space in a forward line so it's not like he was standing on his own without anybody near him.

How many balls did he hit? He caught balls above others on several occasions, and I saw him burst out and break tackles regularly but most importantly his distribution was immaculate, which is fantastic for a 20 year old. Scored a super point v Cork too.

That's the case made anyway, well worth in my view but I reckon it will be close. One of him and Gleeson will get one Id imagine.

Tbh there'd have to be a large asterisk beside any WD player in the backs given how many they used to drag back during games. Gleeson might get one MF. Think Morans semi performance rules him out. Maurice has the best chance of all the WD forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The team in the OP looks about right, I'd say 10 of that team are already certainties even before the final is played.

Here's how i see it
    1. Colm Callanan (Galway) certainty

2. Paul Murphy (Kilkenny) certainty
    3. Joey Holden (Kilkenny) / Coen
    4. Cathal Barrett (Tipperary) / Connors

5. Daithi Burke (Galway) certainty
    6. Tadhg de Burca (Waterford) / Gleeson
    7. Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny) certainty

8. Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny) or David Burke / Andy smith
    9. Conor Fogarty (Kilkenny) certainty

10. John O Dwyer (Tipperary) Aylward, Glynn or Canning
    11. Richie Hogan (Kilkenny) certainty
    12. TJ Reid (Kilkenny) certainty

13. Cathal Mannion (Galway) certainty
    14. Seamus Callanan (Tipperary) certainty
    15. Maurice Shanahan (Waterford) certainty

Waterford won the league, so that may mean something in a tight decision, and favour Gleeson, de Burca or Connors (I'm assuming Shanahan is a certainty regardless)

Think the final will tell a lot as regards the split between KK and GY all stars. Unless he has stinker, think Joey is nailed on FB. Tan might get one CB if he has a good final. Think Mannion is the only certainty up front atm.

Tan might get one CB if he has a good final. .

gets-the-joke.gif

Sunday Game team of the year announced last night

No big surprises, could give a clue as to the All Stars

Callanan

Barrett
    Holden
    Murphy

Buckley
    Burke
    De Burca

Burke
    Fennelly

Reid
    Hogan
    Glynn

Aylward
    S.Callanan
    Shanahan

Sunday Game team of the year announced last night

No big surprises, could give a clue as to the All Stars

Callanan

Barrett
    Holden
    Murphy

Buckley
    Burke
    De Burca

Burke
    Fennelly

Reid
    Hogan
    Glynn

Aylward
    S.Callanan
    Shanahan

De Burca (WD) was listed at no. 6. Burke at No. 5. Padraig Walsh should have been given No. 5 and Daithi Burke No. 6. Surprised that Canning didn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

De Burca (WD) was listed at no. 6. Burke at No. 5. Padraig Walsh should have been given No. 5 and Daithi Burke No. 6. Surprised that Canning didn't make it.

he would not have deserved it...if any Galway forwards were going to be named, it would be jason flynn or cathal mannion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Surprised that Canning didn't make it.

Surprised because he has had a good championship or surprised because of his high profile?

I don't think he's been anywhere near what he is capable of, and hasn't been good enough to get an All-Star. A nomination yes, but not an All-Star.

Reid, Hogan and Callinan are absolutely nailed-on to get All-Stars. Very hard to see Aylward not getting one. Then I would rank Glynn and Flynn ahead of Canning. Maurice Shanahan has been excellent for Waterford.

Tadhg Bourke was better than both this year. Never saw him make a mistake like Daithi Burkes for the goal in the Leinster final. Padraig Walsh has a marginal claim for an all star, not a standout candidate. I would like to see Fogarty get one.

Think Glynns inclusion was a joke. Mannion and Flynn well ahead of him.

donnem33 wrote: »
    he would not have deserved it...if any Galway forwards were going to be named, it would be jason flynn or cathal mannion

The second half probably did for Canning yesterday. He made some uncharacteristic misses but still played well against Cork and Tipp though.
    Mannion was in the running until yesterday for an All Star and/or young player of the year. After yesterday there's a good chance he'll get neither.
    Don't think Flynn has done enough to merit an All Star.

• Advertisement

Tadhg Bourke was better than both this year. Never saw him make a mistake like Daithi Burkes for the goal in the Leinster final. Padraig Walsh has a marginal claim for an all star, not a standout candidate. I would like to see Fogarty get one.

Think Glynns inclusion was a joke. Mannion and Flynn well ahead of him.

Easy play well when you don't have to mark anybody.

Easy play well when you don't have to mark anybody.

Cody said it himself, stop the ball not the man, in effect he was marking the entire full back line. I don't think you've watched Waterford play if you think he was just standing on his own the whole time, caught some brilliant balls and a great point v Cork as well. Been hurling brilliantly February to August, well merited all star. Not only did he stop the ball, his use of possession is amongst the very best in the Country.

I've seen plenty of players play sweeper, I haven't seen any of them play as well as him.

The second half probably did for Canning yesterday. He made some uncharacteristic misses but still played well against Cork and Tipp though.
    Mannion was in the running until yesterday for an All Star and/or young player of the year. After yesterday there's a good chance he'll get neither.

He hit 8 wides against Cork!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Any love for Eoin Larkin or Noel Connors in terms of an All Star? Thought they both had very good years.

I think picking the team the day after the All Ireland final clouds our judgement a little. I thought Paul Murphy was a bit flaky at times yesterday, particularly in the first half.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Any love for Eoin Larkin or Noel Connors in terms of an All Star? Thought they both had very good years.

I think picking the team the day after the All Ireland final clouds our judgement a little. I thought Paul Murphy was a bit flaky at times yesterday, particularly in the first half.

Larkin definitely should get a look in, outstanding yesterday and a disgrace he wasn't nominated for man of the match. Connors very good also, would be in contention I suppose but doubt he'll ultimately prevail.

Cody said it himself, stop the ball not the man, in effect he was marking the entire full back line. I don't think you've watched Waterford play if you think he was just standing on his own the whole time, caught some brilliant balls and a great point v Cork as well. Been hurling brilliantly February to August, well merited all star. Not only did he stop the ball, his use of possession is amongst the very best in the Country.

I've seen plenty of players play sweeper, I haven't seen any of them play as well as him.

Cody doesn't play the sweeper. Players, especially forwards, funnel back but they're still expected to mark their own man when necessary. Sweepers don't. They just mop up ball. Any inter county player will look good mopping up ball. I can only imagine how jealous his team mates were of him not having to pick up anyone.

Cody doesn't play the sweeper. Players, especially forwards, funnel back but they're still expected to mark their own man when necessary. Sweepers don't. They just mop up ball. Any inter county player will look good mopping up ball. I can only imagine how jealous his team mates were of him not having to pick up anyone.

I'd say you might want to ask his team mates what they think of him and whether he should be an all star. Don't think you'll get the answer you're expecting. He essentially had to ensure the goal threat is limited and did that brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

Played well v Dublin also in the replay and essentially beat Laois on his own. Top scorer from play in this year's c'ship? If any other player had his year, they'd be a shoo-in, but he seems to be a victim of his standards I suppose.

Flynn and Mannion should way ahead of Glynn in any award stakes; Flynn for YHOTY? Why no mention for Coen? Regardless of yesterday's misdemeanor, he's had a very good year and was outstanding v Tipp.

Played well v Dublin also in the replay and essentially beat Laois on his own. Top scorer from play in this year's c'ship? If any other player had his year, they'd be a shoo-in, but he seems to be a victim of his standards I suppose.

Flynn and Mannion should way ahead of Glynn in any award stakes; Flynn for YHOTY? Why no mention for Coen? Regardless of yesterday's misdemeanor, he's had a very good year and was outstanding v Tipp.

Lot of Galway players being mentioned. The reality is they won nothing and got beaten handy by Kilkenny twice. They'll still get the second most but how many of them can you give all stars like?

• Advertisement

True

Regarding YHOTY, what about Whelan? He was one of the few Galway forwards who stood up in the second half yesterday. Flynn scored a brilliant pt and some monster frees but his contribution from play was poor.

Whatever about Coen, I think Hanbury might be in with a shout. Bar the goal he was oustanding yesterday.

Advertisement