Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail - Risk of Strike Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

kidneyfan wrote: »
    I love trains but they don't suit Irish settlement patterns or national culture.

no no . they don't suit some. the vast majority of lines pass through large towns, so clearly do suit many patterns. what "national culture" don't they suit? trains are here to stay for now, get used to it. no nonsense about national culture will change it

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

the vast majority of lines pass through large towns,
    It would be fairly stupid if they didn't :rolleyes:
    All motorways go near large towns and cities, not just most.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can anyone remember the effect on evening rush hour traffic after last time? Thinking of getting a Gobus out of Dublin at aroun 17:45 but will the city be gridlocked with all the extra cars tomorrow?

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    It would be fairly stupid if they didn't
    All motorways go near large towns and cities, not just most.
    and? his posts are still invalid, so we are done here on this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

no no . they don't suit some. the vast majority of lines pass through large towns, so clearly do suit many patterns. what "national culture" don't they suit? trains are here to stay for now, get used to it. no nonsense about national culture will change it
    the national culture they don't suit is lateness. Irish Rail can't run trains on time. Their statistics are dishonest. A train that is 1 minute late is unacceptably late.

• Advertisement

the national culture they don't suit is lateness.

thats not national culture.
    Irish Rail can't run trains on time.

can they not? any? surely the odd train does arrive on time? certainly could do better i'd agree.
    Their statistics are dishonest.

sure, that could be the case.
    A train that is 1 minute late is unacceptably late.

yeah, but we don't live in an ideal world. we live in the real 1. and in the real 1 trains are often 1 minute late in plenty of countries due to various reasons. you will never have a railway where every train arrives on time, every time. and anyone who says such a railway exists, i'm not sure i could believe them. anyway, its irrelevant to this thread

I often wonder if those who advocate "improvements in efficiency" actually think it through!
    We are seeing more and more incidences of major disruption caused by minor incidents, for example when one slightly delayed train causes a major ripple effect through the system, something that would become more pronounced if the rotas are tightened up.

Reliability in any system requires a bit of "slack" that can be called on to minimize disruption if there are problems elsewhere.

A good non-rail example is multi drop courier services that have eliminated the "spare time" between deliveries, all it needs is for a crash to happen somewhere on the road network which delays the driver and because there is no slack, a delivery is missed!
    OK quoting my own post, but had a real life example this morning.
    The trains were running late into Heuston this morning and one of the outbound trains (the one I was on) was severely delayed because the driver hadn't arrived yet!
    He was stuck on a red inbound to the station!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

and? his posts are still invalid, so we are done here on this.

You have no arguments, that much is obvious.

Ireland needs to ditch the intercity rail network, rip up the lines and replace them with green ways.
    The private and public sector bus companies can compete against each other for the new passangers, offering actual choice and competition.
    The exchequer saves billions to invest in proper infrastructure.
    Meanwhile we market ourselves as the words premier cycling destination and start pulling in foreign tourists by the shed load.

There you go.

I've saved the country billions with no downsides and best of all we never have to listen whingy train drivers moaning about their cosseted jobs again.

My points are invalid?

You wish.

Ireland needs to ditch the intercity rail network, rip up the lines and replace them with green ways.
    The private and public sector bus companies can compete against each other for the new passangers, offering actual choice and competition.
    Meanwhile we market ourselves as the words premier cycling destination and start pulling in foreign tourists by the shed load.

There you go.

I've saved the country billions with no downsides and best of all we never have to listen whingy train drivers moaning about their cosseted jobs again.

My points are invalid?

You wish.
    Your argument would carry more weight if we were in a world with cheap and infinite supply of fossil fuel, as it is, we don't and future generations will be very grateful if we don't destroy one of the most fuel efficient forms of transportation that is available.

i have. plenty. that much is both obvious and fact
    Ireland needs to ditch the intercity rail network

it doesn't.
    rip up the lines and replace them with green ways.

plenty of existing areas for greenways for those who want them
    The private and public sector bus companies can compete against each other for the new passangers

what new passengers. the rail users will be going to the car. you would have reduced competition and all for nothing.
    offering actual choice and competition.

with what. the current system offers even more competition and choice then your nonsense ideas ever could. you want to reduce competition.

does it? like what. nothing?

deluded. we have plenty of existing areas for greenways. ireland will never be the premier world cycling destination. not going to happen.
    There you go. I've saved the country billions with no downsides and best of all we never have to listen whingy train drivers moaning about their cosseted jobs again.

you have saved nothing. just spouted nonsense that was all ready tried and didn't work. if the company made an agreement with its staff and then don't follow thrugh on that agreement then the staff have every right to call them out on it
    My points are invalid? ou wish.

i've no need to wish, they are indeed invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The train service is good and people should just let the drivers get on with what they do best. If they need additional staff to help out with overcrowding or issues relating to passenger services we have plenty of people looking to get a job across the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Your argument would carry more weight if we were in a world with cheap and infinite supply of fossil fuel, as it is, we don't and future generations will be very grateful if we don't destroy one of the most fuel efficient forms of transportation that is available.

I don't agree with their post but yours ignores the fact that our IC rail network runs on fossil fuels too and, considering the numbers carried on some of the services, isn't very efficient either.

markpb wrote: »
    I don't agree with their post but yours ignores the fact that our IC rail network runs on fossil fuels too and, considering the numbers carried on some of the services, isn't very efficient either.
    Yes it does use fossil fuel, but the point is that the rolling resistance of a vehicle on rails is about 20% of that of one on tyres. So the system is more fuel efficient relative to road for large loads, one freight train would use much less fuel than the equivalent number of lorries shifting the same load.

A full passenger train would be more fuel efficient than a fleet of buses doing the same journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

A full passenger train would be more fuel efficient than a fleet of buses doing the same journey.

The bit on bold is exactly my point.

markpb wrote: »
    The bit on bold is exactly my point.
    An empty passenger train would also be more fuel efficient than a fleet of buses as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't care if the buses were electric. I don't want to be stuck on one for an hour. Horrible way to travel in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes it does use fossil fuel, but the point is that the rolling resistance of a vehicle on rails is about 20% of that of one on tyres. So the system is more fuel efficient relative to road for large loads, one freight train would use much less fuel than the equivalent number of lorries shifting the same load.

One freight train goes from depot to depot and requires road freight at each end as well as the double and triple handling it is more economical faster and much more flexible to send freight by road as lorries go to far more places not serviced by rail! business want efficiency but they also require flexibility and the ability to change and adapt practically overnight which will never be possible on any Irish rail network.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    One freight train goes from depot to depot and requires road freight at each end as well as the double and triple handling

not if set up properly. it would simply be ship, train, depot. the only road bit would be to the shops from a distribution depot where used (which exist anyway even with road freight)
    it is more economical faster and much more flexible to send freight by road as lorries go to far more places not serviced by rail!

actually it being more economical is debatible. it might be cheeper to the customer but not to the tax payer over all. faster is debatible. flexibility is debatible depending on how it is distributed in the first place. not everything goes straight to the customer, it may go to a distribution depot first. also, the railway is practically empty at night anyway so flexibility there could be over come.
    business want efficiency but they also require flexibility and the ability to change and adapt practically overnight which will never be possible on any Irish rail network.

we aren't talking about getting every single bit of freight on to the railway, no country operates that way. however plenty of flows from port to distribution depots in places served by rail could have easily been taken off the road had the distribution depots been built by the lines. the network has flexibility over night and plenty of it. could very easily have been done with some political will. but as none was fourth coming and none will be then the whole debate around it is mute anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Industrial action called off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

That's a relief, just checked their twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Bound to still be a little confusion. I got up an hour early to head on only early operating train from Dundalk to Connolly. Irish Rail online timetable still shows no trains running this morning (as at 6am). Also story completely missing off independent.ie and irishtimes.ie. No updates since yesterday. I wonder will it be a little too late to get some trains running, as I think everyone was convinced they would not run (including me).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Alternate arrangement made, and days taken off by people. This just kicks the strike somewhere down the road when we go through all this again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Bound to still be a little confusion. I got up an hour early to head on only early operating train from Dundalk to Connolly. Irish Rail online timetable still shows no trains running this morning (as at 6am). Also story completely missing off independent.ie and irishtimes.ie. No updates since yesterday. I wonder will it be a little too late to get some trains running, as I think everyone was convinced they would not run (including me).

IR said its real time info and planner are not working. One assumes they were deactivated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Got my usual train there, doesn't look like many missed a beat going by the amount of people on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

And your argument would carry more weight other than the fact it take more fossil fuel to carry the same number of passengers by rail than it does by bus over the distances we have in Ireland.

Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Got my usual train there, doesn't look like many missed a beat going by the amount of people on it.

There was next to no one on my usually DART this morning and the ones going the other way had next to no one either.

Most people took the day off and made other plans by the looks of things as the traffic is very light in the city centre.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never would have realised if there wasn't a load of people getting off at the drumcondra station bus stop :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Real time apps only have trains that left before 6 on them. Hence I'm on an invisible train.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Rashers72 wrote: »

Not true. There was Twitter updates all through the night and from very early this morning, in fact it was between 4-5am i got Irish Rail tweet confirming the strike was called off.
    IR confirmed also that their real time time table was not operationing at that time, also viaTwitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Most people took the day off and made other plans by the looks of things as the traffic is very light in the city centre.

Hmmm, so that's why the bus lane on Conyngham Road is stuffed full of cars......

Advertisement