Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people want to see Ireland do badly at the Rugby World Cup?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

kfallon wrote: »
    Irish Rugby Team = English Football Team.....

in the sense that every World Cup the media/nation hypes them up to do well but every time they end up going out with a whimper!

Won't be watching any of the games, rugby is not my thing, watched more rugby when I was younger when we were pretty poor and Simon Geoghegan was the BOD of his era!

Be great for the country if they do well but I won't be hopping on any bandwagon, find the sport a bit boring if I'm honest!

I've noticed this. I'm always slagged for being arrogant about the England football team (as if ANYONE knows how bad the England football team are more than us poor unfortunates who have had to watch them these last few decades) yet having lived through a Rugby World Cup and six Six Nations tournaments we've nothing on the Irish pre-tournament blind optimism/arrogance.

I remember the 'Path to the Final' double-page wall charts that the Irish papers were giving out before the last tournament. After you got that early result (vs Australia?) the papers read like the other nations might as well as head home then.

Nothing wrong with it either. Every side should go into every tournament trying to win and there's nothing wrong with newspapers whipping up national optimism to try to sell papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Also I bet the vast majority of those who are fans of other sports but are saying they won't watch this would change their tune if Ireland make the final. I wouldn't cross the road to watch a game of rugby but you do get caught up in these tournaments if you're doing well. It was the same with England and the two finals we made.

I hope you do well. The atmosphere here will be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Beefy78 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with it either. Every side should go into every tournament trying to win and there's nothing wrong with newspapers whipping up national optimism to try to sell papers.

Except when its in Nazi Germany :pac:

Seriously though some of the commentary in the papers and on tv so far is nauseating. They're taking our 2nd place world ranking as gospel that we're going to be getting to a semi.

I've been watching rugby long enough to know that any of England, Wales, France can beat us on their day and that NZ, Aus and SA can often beat us on their off days. Argentina would also run us close and even Italy have been known to give us a scare in the last few years.

Anything can happen at a World Cup, matches can come down to a single handling error or post buzzer drop goal. We've got a decent chance at this WC due to an easy enough group but at some stage we'll have to play a southern hemisphere team, thats when we will really find out if this team has got what it takes. I hope they do but if we have to play NZ I think the wheels will fall off the bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Absolutley not, but at the same time no one is forcing them to play

Look droidman
    The rugby team is called Ireland
    The soccer team is called the Republic of Ireland
    So the rugby team has a different name so what you wish already exists actually so build that bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

D4 is a state of mind, not a geographical area. You know the ones. The fake accent gives them away.

It's as if you're trying to prove you know nothing about rugby in Munster. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Except when its in Nazi Germany :pac:

Seriously though some of the commentary in the papers and on tv so far is nauseating. They're taking our 2nd place world ranking as gospel that we're going to be getting to a semi.

I've been watching rugby long enough to know that any of England, Wales, France can beat us on their day and that NZ, Aus and SA can often beat us on their off days. Argentina would also run us close and even Italy have been known to give us a scare in the last few years.

Anything can happen at a World Cup, matches can come down to a single handling error or post buzzer drop goal. We've got a decent chance at this WC due to an easy enough group but at some stage we'll have to play a southern hemisphere team, thats when we will really find out if this team has got what it takes. I hope they do but if we have to play NZ I think the wheels will fall off the bandwagon
    Getting to a semi in a rugby world cup isn't exactly over confident. All we need to do is have one good win. Beat france and we'll probably just have to beat argentina to get to a semi.

But we dont play as the country of ireland? Exactly, so why do they call themselves ireland and wear an ireland jersey? Why do the fans shout ' come on ireland"?

Because a ling, ling time ago, probably long before your mommy and daddy were born, Ireland was split into two. I can point you to some excellent junior cert reading materials on the matter if you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

That twat who writes in The Times would prob be unbearable if we won it......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭droidman123

Billy86 wrote: »
    Because a ling, ling time ago, probably long before your mommy and daddy were born, Ireland was split into two. I can point you to some excellent junior cert reading materials on the matter if you would like.

Go away please

What makes you think i am worried about it?? If they are calling themselves ireland, they should play irelands narional anthem at EVERY game

What is the island of Ireland's anthem?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's as if you're trying to prove you know nothing about rugby in Munster. :pac:

I'd say now if someone nuked the Royal Cork Yacht Club on a sunny day in August they'd kill every Cork Con fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=388

^^^^
    Rugby forum for rugby talk, this was let go for a while but has desended into trolling, baiting and personal abuse.

I haven't time now but I'll have a look later and see if any posts warrent further action

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement