Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people want to see Ireland do badly at the Rugby World Cup?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'll give my opinion through the medium of song

Oh no you won't. It's interpretive dance, or nothing around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

It's not exciting.

It can be interesting.

But any sport where a round of applause goes to some fat guy who kicks the ball into the car park is not exciting.
    Johnny Sexton, Ronan O'Gara and Dan Carter were all "fat" yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It's not exciting.

It can be interesting.

But any sport where a round of applause goes to some fat guy who kicks the ball into the car park is not exciting.

Yeah. That would be a dull sport. Though rugby players aren't fat nor likely to kick into a car park.

0-0 draws are not interesting though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't get this petty sporting tribalistic nonsense and rivalry between some sports. There are many sports I don't have much interest in, but I'll always want to see an Irish team or individual being successful in their chosen field.

I'm the same. I'm a Leinster fan, if they lose, then it's any Irish team for me in Rugby

If Ireland are doing well in any sport I'll support them.

I remember when Ireland beat England in the Cricket world cup a few years ago, was the only thing we talked about in the office for a few days :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There's a gulf of difference between beating Australia and SA in Autumn Internationals and beating them at a World Cup, a WC is just on a whole different level. We've beaten France a good few times at this stage but the French always step up a gear in World Cups.

If NZ play the same way they did against Australia last Saturday then they will dance rings around our team, nobody can live with them in that form.

I want Ireland to do well and will be shouting my head off for them but the WC is still a few weeks away and some people are losing the run of themselves already. It reminds me of 2007 when we were expecting to do well and the media hyped it and hyped it till we totally flopped on the big occasions.

I'm not reading anybody who thinks we are going to win the WC. However our group is relatively easy and our route to the semi final easy enough if we beat France. Easier than the other groups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Herpes Cineplex

I'll give my opinion through the medium of song

So you don't care, yet you cared enough to post that.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Needs moar outdated stereotypes.

2/10

needs better spelling.

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    needs better spelling.
    Even I know that the "moar" in his sentence was deliberate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

So you don't care, yet you cared enough to post that.
    No, the other way round.

Yeah. That would be a dull sport. Though rugby players aren't fat nor likely to kick into a car park.

0-0 draws are not interesting though.

I remember watching players like Nick Popplewell and the fellow they called the Claw whose name escapes me, but they were fat as fools and they liked to engage in a little bit of violence. Now, I don't mind violence in sport, but at least Tyrone GAA players or rugby league players look athletic while they do so.

• Advertisement

Even I know that the "moar" in his sentence was deliberate.

well good for you.

what a remarkable intelligence you have.

when I see Rugby teams "playing", I am minded of the vast uninhibited, mindless crush of the Wildebeest as they cavort across the Serengeti:

lots of enthusiasm, little forethought, and the hell with whoever gets trampled.

Much like a larger version of WWE.

Sport ?

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I want Ireland to do well, but I do take a perverse pleasure in Munster losing.

Johnny Sexton, Ronan O'Gara and Dan Carter were all "fat" yeah?

O'Gara was the boorish guy from Munster who used to kick the ball every time he got it?

No, no he wasn't fat in fairness.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Stheno wrote: »
    Surely though, if we were to win the world cup, you would put those feelings aside?

It would be an immense achievement and possibly the greatest Irish sporting victory ever, but I'd seriously struggle to get excited about it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I remember watching players like Nick Popplewell and the fellow they called the Claw whose name escapes me, but they were fat as fools and they liked to engage in a little bit of violence. Now, I don't mind violence in sport, but at least Tyrone GAA players or rugby league players look athletic while they do so.

Peter Clohessy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

How dare you refer to ROG in that insolent tone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clohessy you are thinking of, he was a hooker, they tend to be fairly well built folk but not what anyone would call fat

Massive yes in terms of bulk but not fat

Rugby is a violent game, I once played a match where seven of the opposing fifteen were taken off and that was a womens rugby match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Herpes Cineplex

No, the other way round.

There you go getting it all backwards again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I want them to do very well. What is worrying is the hype. Most top flight matched turn on a few tight calls during a game. Add to that injuries to pool of really good international players we have and all sorts of things go pear shaped. There is too much hype. It's fair to say we have the highest ranking we have ever had but it will take very little to go wrong for that to change. So I hope they do well but I've nowhere near the expectations that the meeja are touting.

well good for you.

what a remarkable intelligence you have.

when I see Rugby teams "playing", I am minded of the vast uninhibited, mindless crush of the Wildebeest as they cavort across the Serengeti:

lots of enthusiasm, little forethought, and the hell with whoever gets trampled.

Much like a larger version of WWE.

Sport ?

cheers.
    Not sure if you're firing shots at me with that line but whatever. Rugby's a great sport especially at international level. Every game is very important unlike International Soccer which is very boring in my opinion.
    I guess you're a GAA man, and don't get me wrong I'm as into GAA as the next guy, but everything you've said about Rugby really fits the stereotype of the backwards GAA man who thinks every sport outside of GAA doesn't exist and that those who don't play the holy Gaelic games are inferior athletes to those who do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I want them to do well but I'm already sick of some hacks saying we're going to win it and generally talking up our chances. I watched the New Zealand v Australia game on Saturday morning and both of those teams would put us to the sword in a World Cup, as would South Africa too I suspect.

So that's some hacks you don't like, not rugby.

It's easy as fúck to avoid the media hype. Don't read any rugby writers sections, turn off when it comes onto the radio. I don't like gaa, but i'm interested in loads of other sports. It's unbelievably easy to completely ignore gaa in all media. I don't know who won the finals last year, no idea who's left this year, no idea who's favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As long as b o driscoll is gone, I'm happy for them to do well.
    I just couldn't bear to have to look at his smug face if he was involved with actually winning a world cup.

I'll be there for the France match. Tickets arrived the other day. I feel like a kid going to disney land.

Zaph wrote: »
    It would be an immense achievement and possibly the greatest Irish sporting victory ever, but I'd seriously struggle to get excited about it myself.

Hey you are behind them, so that''s fine :) If they get to the final, I'd cry regardless of the result. My OH is like you, he doesn't get it :)
    Fleawuss wrote: »
    I want them to do very well. What is worrying is the hype. Most top flight matched turn on a few tight calls durngg s game. Add to that injuries to pool of really good international players we have and all sorts of things go pear shaped. There is too much hype. It's fair to say we have the highest ranking we have ever had but it will take very little to go wrong for that to change. So I hope they do well but Ivd nowhere near the expectations that the meeja are touting.

I do. Under Joe they have lost one out of many matches. I expect they will get out of the pools and at least to the semis.

If they get to the final I will literally be moving the earth to make sure I am able to watch it with a crowd of rugby fans.

I cannot imagine Ireland being in a world cup rugby final with the likes of POC, Heaslip, Healy etc in their last world cup.

And despite the doubters, if it happens, the entire country will become rugby mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Not sure if you're firing shots at me with that line but whatever. Rugby's a great sport especially at international level. Every game is very important unlike International Soccer which is very boring in my opinion.
    I guess you're a GAA man, and don't get me wrong I'm as into GAA as the next guy, but everything you've said about Rugby really fits the stereotype of the backwards GAA man who thinks every sport outside of GAA doesn't exist and that those who don't play the holy Gaelic games are inferior athletes to those who do.

My experience of this forum (and the internet in general) is that there are far more people who seem to have an issue with the GAA and are intent on getting a cut at it at every oppurtunity rather than GAA fans having any issues with other sports.

Stheno wrote: »
    Clohessy you are thinking of, he was a hooker, they tend to be fairly well built folk but not what anyone would call fat

Massive yes in terms of bulk but not fat

Rugby is a violent game, I once played a match where seven of the opposing fifteen were taken off and that was a womens rugby match

It's kinda violent...but in a certain way. Like all my rugby supporting friends said it was a mans game and they stayed up to watch a Lions team play NZ and that was that. But then it was pointed out to them that our nice player Bod was driven into the ground by some NZ player and that level of violence was not good and suddenly they were up in arms 24 hours later.

That's why I prefer th NFL. They pad up, they hit hard, and they don't cry about it after despite some of the worst injury records in sport.

GH0st

I love Football ( as in the World Sport ), Hurling, and Crown Bowls in that order. I regard any "football" game that uses the hands as being false.

I find rugby to be a bit inbred and incestuous. I detest Gaelic Football as it stands. I find the only difference in the two Sports being the shape of the ball. They are basically handball. The hands imply possession and that negates any possible excitement for me.

Good luck to ye anyway, I hope it goes well for ye. But I *wont* be cheering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I find rugby to be a bit inbred and incestuous.

What the hell does that even mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

GH0st

I love Football ( as in the World Sport ), Hurling, and Crown Bowls in that order. I regard any "football" game that uses the hands as being false.

I find rugby to be a bit inbred and incestuous. I detest Gaelic Football as it stands. I find the only difference in the two Sports being the shape of the ball. They are basically handball. The hands imply possession and that negates any possible excitement for me.

Good luck to ye anyway, I hope it goes well for ye. But I *wont* be cheering.

I will be cheering. The real world cup as you call it has goalkeepers, they use their hands, so your point is a bit ridiculous in that sense.
    I love Gaelic football,soccer, hurling and rugby. Bring on the WC. Looking forward to all the games in all these sports coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Couldn't give a hoot to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement