Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people want to see Ireland do badly at the Rugby World Cup?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭droidman123

What makes you think i am worried about it?? If they are calling themselves ireland, they should play irelands narional anthem at EVERY game

• Registered Users Posts: 40,288 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What makes you think i am worried about it?? If they are calling themselves ireland, they should play irelands narional anthem at EVERY game

you do realise that the Irish rugby team predates the irish state?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

You seen pretty worried sure if you are not worried then ignore it

I do agree it should be played every game but it's not.......
    It doesn't bother me enough to want them to lose and Doesn't mean I won't support them they are the Irish team very same as the rest and I'm proud of them and hope they do great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I am not clutching at straws, i simply made my point as to why i most certainly wont be supporting a team calling themslves ireland when as you say, its actually a team off two different countries.

It's more about Ireland the nation than Ireland the country/countries. A nation is a body of people and doesn't necessarily mean a body of people within a defined political boundary. The annual northern hemisphere RU tournament is called the Six Nations not the Six Countries.

The all Ireland nature of certain sports attracts the ire of two rather twisted groups of people living on this island i.e. staunch union/loyalists in the north east of the island who absolutely reject the idea of being remotely Irish and hate anything of an all Ireland nature (despite having lived in Ireland for generations) and a hardcore of people in the south who despise anything that ignores the border and doesn't support their stupid notions of them and us.

It's more about Ireland the nation than Ireland the country/countries. A nation is a body of people and doesn't necessarily mean a body of people within a defined political boundary. The annual northern hemisphere RU tournament is called the Six Nations not the Six Countries.

The all Ireland nature of certain sports attracts the ire of two rather twisted groups of people living on this island i.e. staunch union/loyalists in the north east of the island who absolutely reject the idea of being remotely Irish and hate anything of an all Ireland nature (despite having lived in Ireland for generations) and a hardcore of people in the south who despise anything that ignores the border and doesn't support their stupid notions of them and us.

you would think that the rabid nationalists would be delighted to have a team that represents the 32 counties.

• Advertisement

sjb25 wrote: »
    You seen pretty worried sure if you are not worried then ignore it

I do agree it should be played every game but it's not.......
    It doesn't bother me enough to want them to lose and Doesn't mean I won't support them they are the Irish team very same as the rest and I'm proud of them and hope they do great

Its a discussion. I am discussing it and answering replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The Team Represents the Island of Ireland.

Like in the Olympics, Team GB represents the Ireland of Great Britain.

They call themselves Ireland because the Name of the Island is Ireland.

What do you not get?

I don't get the Ireland of Great Britain bit. Is that South Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

What i dont get is why they dont play the irish national anthem.

Why don't you go stand in a field and wave your flag and march up and down singing a Nation Once Again while the rest of us watch the RWC on the telly.

We'll all be very impressed with your patriotism and we will hang our heads in shame.

LorMal wrote: »
    Why don't you go stand in a field and wave your flag and march up and down singing a Nation Once Again while the rest of us watch the RWC on the telly.

We'll all be very impressed with your patriotism and we will hang our heads in shame.

Good man, but in reality its the so called irish rugby team that be hanging their head in shame

you would think that the rabid nationalists would be delighted to have a team that represents the 32 counties.

I am neither twisted or a rabid nationalist. I have insulted nobody here and i expect to be afforded the same courtesy.

• Advertisement

Good man, but in reality its the so called irish rugby team that be hanging their head in shame

what is it that you dont get? the team represents the island of Ireland not the nation of Ireland. It really isnt that complicated.

what is it that you dont get? the team represents the island of Ireland not the nation of Ireland. It really isnt that complicated.

What is it that YOU dont get? I think its disgusting that a team calling themselves ireland wont sing their national anthem at a major sporting event. If they are two irelands or two countries or two partsnof this island or whatever, fair enough, but if thats the case then they should call themselves whatever they like other than "ireland" and sing whatever song they want!

the team represents the island of Ireland not the nation of Ireland. It really isnt that complicated.

In simplistic terms: nation = people, country = geo-political entity, so the team does indeed represent the vast majority of the Irish nation.

What is it that YOU dont get? I think its disgusting that a team calling themselves ireland wont sing their national anthem at a major sporting event. If they are two irelands or two countries or two partsnof this island or whatever, fair enough, but if thats the case then they should call themselves whatever they like other than "ireland" and sing whatever song they want!

But Ireland is the name of the island. The irish rugby team predate the formation of the nation of Ireland. Do you think they should have changed their name when the state was formed? and just as a point of information they do sign the amhrain na bfhiann when they play at home. it is only at away games they dont play it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

but they are playing as the team of the Island of Ireland. The Island of Ireland isnt a country.....

*passes out tinfoil hats*

In simplistic terms: nation = people, country = geo-political entity, so the team does indeed represent the vast majority of the Irish nation.

overly simplistic terms. they represent a geographical entity. not a geopolitical one.

But Ireland is the name of the island. The irish rugby team predate the formation of the nation of Ireland. Do you think they should have changed their name when the state was formed? and just as a point of information they do sign the amhrain na bfhiann when they play at home. it is only at away games they dont play it.

Yes i know and as i said earlier imo it should be sung at every game

Yes i know and as i said earlier imo it should be sung at every game

so they should force the guys from the six counties to listen to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Ireland is an island which contains two separate countries, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Amhran na bhFiann is the anthem of the Republic of Ireland. We call our country "Ireland" as a sort of shorthand but "Ireland" is technically the island as a whole. This is not a difficult concept to understand for someone who doesn't have moderate to severe learning difficulties.

they represent a geographical entity. not a geopolitical one.

They represent the people (nation) who live in that geographic entity (the vast majority of them at least).

• Advertisement

Ireland is an island which contains two separate countries, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Amhran na bhFiann is the anthem of the Republic of Ireland. We call our country "Ireland" as a sort of shorthand but "Ireland" is technically the island as a whole. This is not a difficult concept to understand for someone who doesn't have moderate to severe learning difficulties.

Again with the insults.. Cant people argue their corner without resorting to this?

They represent the people (nation) who live in that geographic entity (the vast majority of them at least).

well no they represent the geographic entity of the island of Ireland.

so they should force the guys from the six counties to listen to it?

Absolutley not, but at the same time no one is forcing them to play

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

You mean the one half the world won't know is even on? The one that will be watched by a tiny fraction of people in comparison to the actual World Cup - ya know the one whereby every team (bar the hosts) has to qualify? The one that's an actual competition?

Ah bless you and your mini World Cup.

Slag soccer all you like, but you must know rugby is not and never will be as popular? So sentences like the above just make you look rather foolish.

Justin bieber has some of the most viewed videos on youtube.
    Popularity does not neccessarily mean its any good

Absolutley not, but at the same time no one is forcing them to play

and around we go back in a circle ...

well no they represent the geographic entity of the island of Ireland.

Okay you're being silly. The team represents the people of that geographic entity. No people - no team to represent them. They also represent the Irish diaspora who may have little to do with the island currently.

Nation = people.

Country = geo-political territory

Fin.

Okay you're being silly. The team represents the people of that geographic entity. No people - no team to represent them. They also represent the Irish diaspora who may have little to do with the island currently.

Nation = people.

Country = geo-political territory

Fin.

well i'm glad you've cleared that up for us all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

i have to applaud Droidman... The subtlety of the baiting... It's glorious in to watch a true master at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

i have to applaud Droidman... The subtlety of the baiting... It's glorious in to watch a true master at work.

Being an utter dense idiot isnt hard. It comes amazingly easy to some. As I said many pages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,045 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The Team Represents the Island of Ireland.

Like in the Olympics, Team GB represents the Ireland of Great Britain.

They call themselves Ireland because the Name of the Island is Ireland.

What do you not get?

Team GB is used for marking, the full IOC name is Great Britain and Northern Ireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement