Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people want to see Ireland do badly at the Rugby World Cup?

Options
  • 16-08-2015 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

People are being very optimistic if not overly optimistic about how Ireland will fare in the Rugby World Cup this year, but I get the sense that some people want them to fail.
    I honestly think that there are some that want them to do badly just so they can say "Didn't I tell ya Ireland would go nowhere, they're useless sure!".
    What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I want them to do well but I'm already sick of some hacks saying we're going to win it and generally talking up our chances. I watched the New Zealand v Australia game on Saturday morning and both of those teams would put us to the sword in a World Cup, as would South Africa too I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

We're the second ranked team in the world. We have every chance of winning it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I want them to do well but I'm already sick of some hacks saying we're going to win it and generally talking up our chances. I watched the New Zealand v Australia game on Saturday morning and both of those teams would put us to the sword in a World Cup, as would South Africa too I suspect.

We are now number two in the World, something we have never before achieved in Rugby

If we go one step forward and win the World Cup, I for one will be out on the street welcoming that team home

They seem to have some uncanny sense of belief, and a coach who is tipped to lead the All Blacks in the future.

Best of luck to them, I personally can't imagine even the thoughts of Ireland being in a rugby WC final, and the sheer excitement

We have a superb team at the moment, and an incredible coach, as a unit most international sides fear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Probably there is always gonna be c...nts who love nothing better than negativity and pissing all over peoples positivity

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Last time we met Australia and SA we beat them

NZ are our only team we've not beaten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

Ruggers, a sport for posh bell ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Not the real World Cup.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Best of luck to them, I hope they do well. But if they could do it in a hermetically sealed bubble somewhere so I'm not confronted with anything to do with the rugby world cup every time I turn on the TV, click on a website or open a newspaper that would be very much appreciated thanks. It's bad enough that I hate rugby, but the feckers stretch the bloody thing out for six weeks and I'm of the opinion that it's just to p*ss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They're talking us up because Schmidt has made us into a very well drilled side and force to be reckoned with with a very talented pool of players. You must not have watched us in the last year if you generally think that all those teams would put us to the sword. We have what it takes to put it up to New Zealand, I think this World Cup will be very exciting and the fact it's in the NH will be to our advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Zaph wrote: »
    Best of luck to them, I hope they do well. But if they could do it in a hermetically sealed bubble somewhere so I'm not confronted with anything to do with the rugby world cup every time I turn on the TV, click on a website or open a newspaper that would be very much appreciated thanks. It's bad enough that I hate rugby, but the feckers stretch the bloody thing out for six weeks and I'm of the opinion that it's just to p*ss me off.
    But why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Any links? In general most people think we have a good chance of getting to a SF, and then it gets tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Yet here you are - voluntarily reading and replying to a thread on it.

Ruggers, a sport equally dominated by posh Dublin areas and towns throughout the country like Limerick where some of our finest players have come from

I grew up in Portlaoise, and it was a big sport there, with players competing regardless of "class"

I wonder if we win the world cup, will you still have the same attitude?

I can't stand football, but by god I supported our team in Italia 90 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nobody likes a smeggy bell end though in all fairness? :pac:

I like to keep my rugby balls in good nick too...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But why?

Two reasons - firstly it's mind-numbingly tedious. Every set play takes forever to actually happen. And secondly I grew up in south county Dublin in the 70s when rugby was a far less egalitarian game than it is now. The only people who liked rugby were the stereotypical "rugger buggers" who sneered and looked down at us soccer loving oiks. I have no time for people like that, and consequently I've no time for their sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Leinster lad steal the mot?

We have never even made it to a semi final, unlike Scotland and Wales. So if we do, that'll be an achievement. Insofar as going far in a competition with what, 7 or 8 competitors, counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Really looking forward to it, have tickets, flights and accommodation all sorted for the games. :)

You can imagine what the rest of us think of prole ball. The few weeks of quiet in my local disappeared recently when the stupid game started again, along with its sky sports hysteria. Didn't that used to be September? And it's never off the box. Friday. All day Saturday. Super stupid Sunday. Monday night prole ball. Tuesday night euro ball. Wednesday night other euro ball. I'm sure Thursday is under threat of some unnecessary competition or other.

Rugby, 6 weeks of bliss in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

I'm really looking forward to it. We definitely have a chance but personally I think NZ will win it.

Two reasons - firstly it's mind-numbingly tedious. Every set play takes forever to actually happen. And secondly I grew up in south county Dublin in the 70s when rugby was a far less egalitarian game than it is now. The only people who liked rugby were the stereotypical "rugger buggers" who sneered and looked down at us soccer loving oiks. I have no time for people like that, and consequently I've no time for their sport.

Weird apart from hurling, it's the most exciting sport I know of, and I follow a lot.

Secondly, as a working class child, when I took it up as a female adult in Blackrock, I was only welcomed warmly

I did grow up thinking it was open to all though.

Surely though, if we were to win the world cup, you would put those feelings aside?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I don't get this petty sporting tribalistic nonsense and rivalry between some sports. There are many sports I don't have much interest in, but I'll always want to see an Irish team or individual being successful in their chosen field.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Irish Rugby:

a flotilla of drug-enhanced freaks who cant say the word "roundabout" properly

a rugby team:

15 people without necks.

a rugby crowd:

most should be in front of the Banking tribunal

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'll give my opinion through the medium of song

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do some people want to see Ireland do badly at the Rugby World Cup?
    All the other participants?

I grew up in the northsude supporting Ireland in soccer and Man U . My dad took me to Irish games. Still support Ireland but the English club fanatics leave me cold. It's a childish fixation, like trading cards and reading children's books. So I stopped. Adults who are into club soccer are total bores. It's all they talk about.

I've always watched the 6N and will love to see Ireland do well in rugby, as in all sports. The WC should be great for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Stheno wrote: »
    Last time we met Australia and SA we beat them

NZ are our only team we've not beaten

There's a gulf of difference between beating Australia and SA in Autumn Internationals and beating them at a World Cup, a WC is just on a whole different level. We've beaten France a good few times at this stage but the French always step up a gear in World Cups.

If NZ play the same way they did against Australia last Saturday then they will dance rings around our team, nobody can live with them in that form.

I want Ireland to do well and will be shouting my head off for them but the WC is still a few weeks away and some people are losing the run of themselves already. It reminds me of 2007 when we were expecting to do well and the media hyped it and hyped it till we totally flopped on the big occasions.

Stheno wrote: »
    Weird apart from hurling, it's the most exciting sport I know of, and I follow a lot.

Secondly, as a working class child, when I took it up as a female adult in Blackrock, I was only welcomed warmly

I did grow up thinking it was open to all though.

Surely though, if we were to win the world cup, you would put those feelings aside?

It's not exciting.

It can be interesting.

But any sport where a round of applause goes to some fat guy who kicks the ball into the car park is not exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    Irish Rugby:

a flotilla of drug-enhanced freaks who cant say the word "roundabout" properly

a rugby team:

15 people without necks.

a rugby crowd:

most should be in front of the Banking tribunal

cheers!

Needs moar outdated stereotypes.

2/10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement