Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are cats one of the top predators in Ireland

Options
  • 15-08-2015 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Where I live, which is the countryside, is mainly inhabited by rabbits, small birds, hedgehogs, hares and all kinds of small rodents which are basically defenceless against mine [and other] pet cats which often roams the fields surrounding my house and hunts these animals often leaving a Rather nice trophy at my front door which could consists of one the mentioned above..

This kinda got me thinking weather you would consider a cat to be one of the top apex predators in the Irish countryside. Now I know a cat wouldn't have much chance against a fox or perhaps even a mink but when you think of how little native dangerous wildlife actually live in the Irish countryside.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In a word, Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Second only to the human. Or the house spider.

endacl wrote: »
    Second only to the human. Or the house spider.

As far a the number of species and individuals taken are concerned, humans don't come close if we are talking predators - their influence on Nature is a different thing to predation. House spider? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As far a the number of species and individuals taken are concerned, humans don't come close if we are talking predators - their influence on Nature is a different thing to predation. House spider? Seriously?

T'was tongue in cheek. Chill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Cats - domestic and feral - are extremely destructive to wildlife, not only in Ireland but all over the world, particularly to smaller birds and mammals. The most important thing to understand about them is that they should really be seen as an effect, or extension, of humans, in the sense that they have been introduced into practically every environment by us, and domestic cats are constantly maintained in those environments by us, through feeding, the shelter we give them, etc.

I have heard cats described as 'subsidised recreational hunters' (I think it was conservation biologist Michael Soule), which is pretty apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Would put the mink ahead of a feral cat.
    Mink would do a lot more damage in a hen house I reckon.
    But as far as cats go I've been told and I agree that cats are worse than foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

If they were half as big as us we would be in danger of extinction !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Magpies and hooded crows are causing plenty of damage to smaller birds and some endangered species. We have a pair of choughs here who have failed to rear a chick for the past three seasons. Got one almost to fledgling this year but I found the chick dead beneath the nesting platform we put up for them in early June. Their nests were destroyed the previous two seasons.

Magpies and hooded crows are causing plenty of damage to smaller birds and some endangered species. We have a pair of choughs here who have failed to rear a chick for the past three seasons. Got one almost to fledgling this year but I found the chick dead beneath the nesting platform we put up for them in early June. Their nests were destroyed the previous two seasons.

But, that's natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

So our cat friends/overlords saved us from those plotting birds.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be me uncle
    We still have the firepower as humans and the technology to deal with it. Sad but true

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

But, that's natural.

Cats have been around for so long as to be considered natural at this stage imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Plenty of them are, and they're still nearly going extinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Cats have been around for so long as to be considered natural at this stage imo.

The sheer amount of them is the thing that is unnatural I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Obviously the fact that we brought them here in the first place is the most unnatural thing about it all, but the continuing problem is that they aren't subject to any sort of selection pressure at all - we give them food and shelter. They go out and hunt and kill stuff and often don't eat it. If they go out and fail to kill something, that's no problem because they can just go to a nearby house and get looked after. Even 'feral' cats live off stealing food from more domesticated cats, or from other food sources left out by humans. The situation with cats in most countries is thoroughly unnatural and problematic in my opinion.

An argument could be made for many species brought to places like Ireland by humans hundreds and thousands of years ago in that they've established themselves here and now play a similar role to what they do in their native range, and are subject to the same population dynamics as 99% of the other species here - but that's not the situation with cats.

Mickeroo wrote: »

No way. They are a domesticated animal. They are in countries where they would never be naturally. They are in numbers far exceeding what would have been if they were wild. They do not need to kill to survive at all. Far from nature, indeed.

The situation with cats in most countries is thoroughly unnatural and problematic in my opinion.

That's more than just an opinion: it's a concrete fact.

Cats are just another one of the many ways in which we as a species are destroying the natural world everywhere.

Jayzesake wrote: »
    That's more than just an opinion: it's a concrete fact.

Cats are just another one of the many ways in which we as a species are destroying the natural world everywhere.

If it's such a concrete fact then why aren't we allowed to shoot them as vermin?

If it's such a concrete fact then why aren't we allowed to shoot them as vermin?

For a start, cat owners might object to having their pets shot to death. :)

Seriously though, very few people realise just how highly destuctive cats are ecologically, and that high level of ignorance would make it very difficult to change the situation for now, at least here in Ireland.

In Australia, feral cats are officially classed as vermin in all of the territories:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/24/sorry-brigitte-bardot-but-australias-hordes-of-feral-cats-have-got-to-go

While in New Zealand, there is a campaign to have the right to eradicate domestic cats if they stray, but surprise, surprise, the animal rights people are vehemently opposed to the idea. Presumably they are more concerned with the cats than the millions of animals killed by the cats, and aren't interested in - or able to comprehend - the wider ecological picture.

In an interview with New Zealand’s 3 News, Morgan said that cats “just love killing things – and that’s your cat we’re talking about.”

“Your cat does a lot of damage. If you want to love your cat, that’s fine, keep him in your house,” Morgan told the station.
    “If you let him onto my property, I want the right to trap that cat and get rid of it,” the businessman added, saying he would rather have native birds and other animals on his land instead.

Bob Kerridge, chief executive of the country’s Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, told the New Zealand Herald newspaper that the idea of getting rid of cats was “a bit radical, over the top and completely wrong.”

"People consider cats to be a member of the family. So he's trying to, quite frankly, take away the civil liberties we all have to choose who we want in our home,” he told the paper, and questioned some of Morgan’s claims about cats’ effects on wildlife.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/23/16657915-natural-born-killer-campaign-demands-eradication-of-cats-from-new-zealand?lite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Truth is that cats are our top predator! Have you ever watched one hunting! It's amazing how these brightly coloured cats can catch their pray using sheer stealth, and speed! They can even catch birds in mid air a couple of feet off the ground!

Thing is, us humans are allowed keep these cats, no need to licence them, and we dont even have to keep them on our premises! How convenient!:mad:

I think if we had the same laws for cats as dogs, there'd be a lot less cats in the world!

On the hunting cats thing! Think ferral cat numbers can be controlled, but not quote unquote pet cats!

Still doesn't answer my question. Why can't we shoot them?
    And IMO cats aren't pets. They come and go when they please

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Who would be willing to campaign for a change in protection for cats to allow shooting them, and how strongly do they feel about them?

Who would be willing to campaign to maintain the current level of protection for cats, and how strongly do they feel about them?

Now imagine you're a politician or political party and tell me if you'd be likely to have cats listed as vermin?

In addition - and correct me if I'm wrong - but for 'vermin' don't they have to be having a negative impact on some sort of crop or asset? So really and truly that's only going to be chickens - the small mammals and birds in your garden wouldn't count under that. So even if they were listed as vermin it wouldn't mean it would be 'open season' on them and unlikely to make a significant dent in their populations.

As someone said above, I think cats should be subject to similar restrictions as owning dogs. You should have a license, they should have a collar, and they should be kept indoors at night. Anything else should be controlled and/or disposed of by the state until the situation is under control. Wishful thinking I know.

As far as I recall, cats have no protection under Irish law.

As far as I recall, cats have no protection under Irish law.

Presumably they fall under animal cruelty legislation though? And presumably that frowns upon shooting them?

Presumably they fall under animal cruelty legislation though? And presumably that frowns upon shooting them?

Quite possibly but I think no more so than Mice or Rats. Cruelty in law can be very vague and I never heard of killing by shooting described as cruelty. All that said, shooting is not the answer. Neutering and control are the keys.

Bonedigger wrote: »
    I think you and your hunting buddies are already doing that. Am I right or wrong?

I haven't met a hunter yet who didn't openly admit to shooting any cat they come across in the countryside at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I haven't met a hunter yet who didn't openly admit to shooting any cat they come across in the countryside at night.

Iv shot loads, there was a big feral cat colony in an area i hunt and the sheep farmer that owns the land had a huge problem with toxoplasmosis. When i come across a feral ill shot it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I hunt myself, and although I have no love for cats, i've never shot one!

A lot of farmers keep cats to keep rodents down, so a Hunter could lose his permission if he done something like that, but I'm sure you have people who don't care either way!

• Advertisement

Mod Note: Discussion of hunting and hunters is ok, but keep it civil. No namecalling, no subtle digs - just civil and open discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement