Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Only gave money to a homeless person myself

An Irish guy huddled up in a blanket at St. Stephens Green Luas stop, felt so sad for the fella, he was just there with a cup, not hassling anyone like you would see others. I was going through a shít time myself; I thought fcuk it Ill throw him my change which was 2.50 or so. He was very appreciative.

Hard to paint them all with the one brush, you will have your obvious junkies, and your romas, but there are also decent folk just looking to eat too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I do believe that there is organised begging among the Roma, but the amount of exaggeration about their supposed empire of small change is what's really ridiculous.
    ‘The majority of begging in Dublin city centre is organised’

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Gave 3 euro to a guy in Phibsborough today and he walked past me as I was waiting for the lights and he went straight into the bookies. I felt it was a waste but then if that's what he wants to do with it its his choice. Cant be an easy life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

A few odd ones, on two occasions I gave some change to a fellow who needed to make up 5 euro. I only had 50c so I gave him that. He gestured in a way that he still did have enough, pointing at his handful of coins and looking angrily at me. I spoke loudly and plainly saying that was all the change I had and he left.

Another chap asked in German (I found out later), I cut him off and he switched to very well spoken English to see if I could spare change. Told him no, he smiled and told me to have a wonderful day...

I've gotten food for the odd person as well, one was really surprised that I come back out of the sandwich shop to look for him after he had wandered a bit up the street. One other lad in the same town, I got a slice of pizza said he was lactose intolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Athlone beggars

Beggar: Have you got any spare change ? .....

Me: No.

Beggar: Well **** ya anyway.

Me: :D walks off jingle jangle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Beats me how someone can reach the stage of genuine homeless beggar in Ireland, given the generous welfare available.

Agree
    Abject poverty is where a kid is rooting through bins for food
    Calcutta or Rio spring to mind not Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

If you genuinely want to help homeless people, give money (or better still get involved with) charities such as focus, svp, Simon, etc.

If you want to be a cog in the wheels of exploitation, criminality, drugs, alcoholism, human misery, gambling then appease your bleeding heart by giving money to beggars. It might make you feel good, but you are incentivising and rewarding all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I may be wrong ........ but I was under the impression that there is a welfare net that stops people falling into dire straits like begging for food etc.

There is, although you need a permanent address for dole the HSE can issue immediate emergency payments to people via the community welfare officer. Its years since I worked there so the system has probably all changed now but I remember they were the ones that delt with the services and advice for people in that situation. There was a few state funded community groups in opperation back then but that was pre recession so god knows whats left.

Most homelessness from my experence was a result of drug and alcohol addiction and lack of mental health services. Many shelters are dry zones and some cant live without the drink even for a few hours. There was a few who were down on their luck, debts out of control, breakups, sleeping at a friends house or in cars etc, though they tended to get sorted out fairly quick as there normally wasnt the underlying problem of addiction.
    If you genuinely want to help homeless people, give money (or better still get involved with) charities such as focus, svp, Simon, etc.

If you want to be a cog in the wheels of exploitation, criminality, drugs, alcoholism, human misery, gambling then appease your bleeding heart by giving money to beggars. It might make you feel good, but you are incentivising and rewarding all of the above.

^^^Spot on lotmc.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Be careful around Connolly Station, too. I was walking up the stairs on the left hand side and was walking quickly in a rush to catch the next train. I left my handbag open, stupidly as I would need to get change out of my wallet to pay for the train ticket when I got up the stairs. I for some reason turned around quickly to find a Roma woman right behind me and I literally mean RIGHT behind me (no gap) and she had her hand in my handbag. I shot her a look and she yanked her hand out and said 'Sorry,sorry' , pretended to be fixing her hair clip. We both got to the top of the stairs and she turned around and walked straight back down the stairs. Really shaken after it. If I hadn't turned around just at that second, she would've been away with the contents of my bag. Horrible to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There isn't any need for begging in this country. Our social supports are very good, and that includes charities funded in part by our taxes that support those who may not be in a position to access State supports.

As someone else said, it is not like Calcultta at all.

Homelessness will always be with us. But I cannot help it if a bed is there and someone refuses to take it because of this or that. Their choice, they don't need to be cold. There is a bed for everyone, but maybe not the one that they want.

Anyway, I'm fed up being tripped up by people with paper cups in my face everywhere I go now.

It's a bit of an industry now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Unless you gave them a thousand euro, a 5 course meal and your house I wouldn't tell any personal stories about seeing beggars on this thread. Look at the first page or two of this thread for example.

Yeah ok mate, keep feeling sorry for yourself. Nobody ever said you had to do any of the above, yet you jumped straight into using hyperbole in order to make you look less of an eejit.

All that was said was that if you really felt bad for them, as you claimed, you would've offered them a bit of food or some spare change, but instead you didn't want to ruin your school trip by giving them a thought.

There's no harm in not offering them anything, or even feeling sorry for them -most people are like this- but stop with the bs sob-story acting like you really cared for them, because your actions clearly indicate otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Usually keep my headphones walking by them and look straight forwards.
    Some of them will shout something like I know you can hear me - as if its their god given right to hassle me for change :rolleyes:

I remember when younger they would come up in town and try and intimidate looking for money if i had no change saying "oh go on then try your pocket there mate" etc trying to force me :rolleyes: these were probably the more junkie type of beggar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's good and bad, like all walks of life.

Years ago, I bumped into a man in his 40's who was on the streets. He said he hadn't eaten for a couple of days. I'd just got a pizza in Apache and said that he could take half. We sat outside Christ Church and ate the pizza.

He said that he'd ended up on the streets for about a year after his wife and him "had trouble". She and the two kids were still in the house. He said he left one day, because it had become "unbearable". He'd been picking spots around the city to sleep most nights. Cardboard was "his friend".

I didn't press the issue.

Anyway, we finished up the pizza. I apologised and said I had no money, I was walking home. He said no worries, that the pizza helped greatly, thanked me and we parted ways.

That changed my opinion of beggars.

The Roma on the other hand, I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss, because with them it's a profession. In nearly every country I've been to in Europe, they operate a begging scam. In some places, like Paris, they're pretty blatant at how organised they are.

I have noticed that their numbers over here have dwindled. There used to be quite a few on Grafton Street. They probably got the hump after the paddies proved difficult and buggered off back to wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There isn't any need for begging in this country. Our social supports are very good, and that includes charities funded in part by our taxes that support those who may not be in a position to access State supports.

As someone else said, it is not like Calcultta at all.

Homelessness will always be with us. But I cannot help it if a bed is there and someone refuses to take it because of this or that. Their choice, they don't need to be cold. There is a bed for everyone, but maybe not the one that they want.

Anyway, I'm fed up being tripped up by people with paper cups in my face everywhere I go now.

It's a bit of an industry now.

There isn't enough beds in the city for rough sleepers .Sleeping bags are being issued each night as nearly all One Night Only beds are filled each night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Be careful around Connolly Station, too. I was walking up the stairs on the left hand side and was walking quickly in a rush to catch the next train. I left my handbag open, stupidly as I would need to get change out of my wallet to pay for the train ticket when I got up the stairs. I for some reason turned around quickly to find a Roma woman right behind me and I literally mean RIGHT behind me (no gap) and she had her hand in my handbag. I shot her a look and she yanked her hand out and said 'Sorry,sorry' , pretended to be fixing her hair clip. We both got to the top of the stairs and she turned around and walked straight back down the stairs. Really shaken after it. If I hadn't turned around just at that second, she would've been away with the contents of my bag. Horrible to think about.

Eh, what does that have to do with begging?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Not a big fan of the Romanian ones......there was a Romanian beggar

I guess you mean roma/gypsy...instead of Romanian....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't give them money, bar one guy called Eddie who hung around the central bank, because he stopped me from being mugged when I was 15. I know he spends what I give him on drink and frankly, that's his choice.

I'll buy some of them food or a tea or coffee sometimes.

One girl came up to me at College Green one morning on my way to work. Clearly not homeless, had a spotless Nike tracksuit and runners on. Asked me for money for a sandwich. I said I'd no money on me but if she wanted to come to the spar around the corner, I'd use my card to get her a roll and a drink. She told me to fcuk off :pac:

In general, I just feel sorry for beggars. I don't like them, because the majority I see are not genuinely homeless, but I'd rather buy food for three unappreciative assholes and one genuine person, than not buy any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Links234 wrote: »
    Go easy on them, they can't be choosers, or so I'm told... :o

Not true. I saw one in town many years ago with a sign saying "€1 coins only please."

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ha! Says Richard Guiney on the Journal. Come on. Richard Guiney has been on a PR crusade against beggars and homeless people for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Scum the lot of em, move them on,in Cork City last week a guy sitting under an ATM you had to lean over him to access the machine.I am sure the Gardai must have seen him as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

mcko wrote: »
    Scum the lot of em, move them on,in Cork City last week a guy sitting under an ATM you had to lean over him to access the machine.I am sure the Gardai must have seen him as well.

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Pumpkin PJs Fan No.9

In Galway, there are some that are just chancers really. One girl in particular, who lately has been spotted hovering around the bus stops in Eyre Sq. and when she spots some unsuspecting soul getting their spare change ready for the bus... she pounces - like a smelly ninja! She has done it on countless occasions, but a Pumpkin never gives her any money.

the rudest part is: she never remembers who a Pumpkin is.

"A very sexy Pumpkin!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

In most cases I just feel sorry for them....none of them were born on the streets and I am sure it is not the life any of them would have chosen for themselves if they had choice....things must have been horrible in their lives for them for that life to be the only option for them.

I wouldn't give them money, I'd be afraid they'd only drink it away and spend it on drugs. I'd rather buy them a sandwich or hot drink.

The Roma are completely different kettle of fish though....they should all be arrested and kicked out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In Galway, there are some that are just chancers really. One girl in particular, who lately has been spotted hovering around the bus stops in Eyre Sq. and when she spots some unsuspecting soul getting their spare change ready for the bus... she pounces - like a smelly ninja! She has done it on countless occasions, but a Pumpkin never gives her any money.

the rudest part is: she never remembers who a Pumpkin is.

"A very sexy Pumpkin!!"

What?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Pumpkin PJs Fan No.9

What?

¿Qué?

A Pumpkin clearly has no idea?

"Cough!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

How come there is no beggers or homeless people outside the cities? That's where they will make the most money I suppose..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I was walking back into town from Croke Park after the matches on Sunday. There were 4 beggers inside about 50 metres on Jones Road. I recognised one of them from when I used to drive a van around town a few years ago. He used to operate outside Tara St Dart station and on the other side of the river outside the Custom House. I'd say he was 10 or 11 when I saw him first and he looked probably 19 on Sunday. Pretty sad really. Brought 1000's of miles to some strange county as a child and put out begging - still doing it as a adult. No opportunitys or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Driving past pearse street train station the other day and just under the bridge there was an old man, white beard asleep in his sleeping bag. That tugged on my heart strings.

I used to always give money to the guy outside arnotts with the dog and rabbit but have heard lots of stories recently about him being aggressive etc so have stopped.

Every year at Christmas i do a big food shop in tesco (mainly own brands as its all i can afford). I factor in all ages, so sweets and crisps for the kids, right up to firelighters and shampoo for older people. i do up a few hampers and drop them in to the VDP. Last year i stopped.

Im sick of seeing on these selling pages on facebook etc, people selling the vouchers they receive from VDP etc. Its not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

cruais wrote: »
    Im sick of seeing on these selling pages on facebook etc, people selling the vouchers they receive from VDP etc. Its not on.

Yeah, the St VdP are getting a bad reputation at the moment. They seem to be a soft touch for less deserving people who just ask them for money/stuff.
    I dont know how true that is, but it was enough for me to stop sending them an annual Christmas cheque.
    I give to Simon community now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Time for Roma to be shipped out en masse. The add nothing to the economy or welfare of Ireland.

There I've said it.
    And you know deep in your own hearts a lot of you are thinking the same thing but don't dare say it because it doesn't seem or look right.

And I'll admit to it that it's not right. But a lot of choices in life are not nice.
    But Roma are a problem. And the way to deal with it is deportation.

Advertisement