Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

AlanG wrote: »
    Pita Pit did a sampling at Verona Academy a few weeks ago. Both kids and adults were well impressed with the food and the cajun chicken was a particular hit. The owner was saying that they are certainly suffering because of their location between two big players so they get overlooked a bit. He also said he has no problem with customers bringing in McDonalds for the kids and eating it in his shop if the adults are getting Pita Pit.

The frontage doesn't stand out. You hardly know it was there.

The owner needs to promote it aggressively.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

beauf wrote: »
    The frontage doesn't stand out. You hardly know it was there.

The owner needs to promote it aggressively.

I think the name on the front does stand out but perhaps not if you are driving by. If I didn't pass it on the bus/live nearby I'd never know it was there, I have seen or heard no advertisements for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

miamee wrote: »
    I think the name on the front does stand out but perhaps not if you are driving by. If I didn't pass it on the bus/live nearby I'd never know it was there, I have seen or heard no advertisements for it at all.

We just received a leaflet in the post yesterday with special offers (free soup, salad, % off pita) so maybe they are starting to advertise. I've been up to the centre and never noticed them being opened.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That's good jonnybravo, hopefully we'll get one of those, I'd definitely make use of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Going on this thread very few have noticed. people on this thread tend to be the curious type too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tbh, I only noticed it the other day, and I'd drive past there at least once a week, often more than that. The same for the sushi place beside it. They definitely need better signage closer to the road to make people aware that they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Caranica wrote: »
    I meant McDonald's and Krispy Kreme!

Ah. I thought you were asking did he know what was where he is now.

As others has said, it seems to blend into the background, I was right outside it Saturday and it didn't jump out at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Zaph wrote: »
    Tbh, I only noticed it the other day, and I'd drive past there at least once a week, often more than that. The same for the sushi place beside it. They definitely need better signage closer to the road to make people aware that they're there.

Is the Sushi place (Musashi I think) even open? I thought I saw Opening Soon signs there for ages (there is one in Capel Street that has an opening soon sign for about 2 years at this stage as well).

Agreed on the location being a challenge for casual customers of Pita Pit which is an unrecognized brand in Ireland. It will be hard to attract passing pedestrian trade as it's very much a car oriented location. I wonder does Esquires next door also struggle similarly - twice I've been there but it seemed like it had a fair few customers both times....? Krispy Kreme and McDonalds are big players so will have massive brand awareness to be destination choices regardless.

I guess they are trying to turn that whole location into a food destination but they do need to promote it more.

Musashi looked like it was ready to open last time I looked but it has looked like that for a few weeks now and I can't tell when passing if it has actually opened yet or not.

Edit: actually according to their Facebook page they are open: https://www.facebook.com/Musashi-Sushi-Blanchardstown-673517073020081/

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

Musashi is open a week or 2 now. They need to sort their prices out or won't get any kind of regular customers. Most of the main courses are ~€15 range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

miamee wrote: »
    I guess they are trying to turn that whole location into a food destination but they do need to promote it more.

Musashi looked like it was ready to open last time I looked but it has looked like that for a few weeks now and I can't tell when passing if it has actually opened yet or not.

Edit: actually according to their Facebook page they are open: https://www.facebook.com/Musashi-Sushi-Blanchardstown-673517073020081/

The centre desperately needs a food court.

Naos wrote: »
    The centre desperately needs a food court.

Agreed. I went to Sydney for a year back in the day and one of the things I loved over there were the amount of food courts there. Usually located in the basement of shopping centres or transport hubs. It's sad to think apart from Liffey Valley, there isn't any real presence of same in Ireland. The one attempt in the city centre (Epicurean Food Hall on Abbey Street) unfortunately closed down and was replaced with.....Dealz:confused::confused: Do Irish people really prefer pound shops over communal dining areas with multiple food choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

ongarboy wrote: »
    Agreed. I went to Sydney for a year back in the day and one of the things I loved over there were the amount of food courts there. Usually located in the basement of shopping centres or transport hubs. It's sad to think apart from Liffey Valley, there isn't any real presence of same in Ireland. The one attempt in the city centre (Epicurean Food Hall on Abbey Street) unfortunately closed down and was replaced with.....Dealz:confused::confused: Do Irish people really prefer pound shops over communal dining areas with multiple food choices?

There are plenty of food courts but they invariably get filled up with Fast food chains .
    Jervis and Liffey Valley to name but two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

There are plenty of food courts but they invariably get filled up with Fast food chains .
    Jervis and Liffey Valley to name but two

These are bit crap and just a few food chains as you say.

There is/was plans for conversion of St Andrews church at end of suffolk st to be a fancy food hall which is planned to open next month. Haven't heard much on this since late last year. This would be good if done right. I have seen some great food halls around Europe really focused on good quality food with a bar also so few people can go for nice food and maybe a glass of wine. More upmarket than the couple of shopping centre fast food versions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/new-continental-style-food-hall-to-open-in-dublin-city-centre-1.3679653

The best food hall I have been to is one in Malta which was just fantastic. See link below for it which would be great to have something similar in Dublin.

https://issuqtalbelt.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Communal = screaming brats running around. I'd rather bring a sandwich to the car.

Communal = screaming brats running around. I'd rather bring a sandwich to the car.

Haven't noticed that in any food court I've been to. I'm more likely to see that in hotel bars every Sunday afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would love to see something like the Time out market in Lisbon
    it is excellent and contains no international fast food chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My only experiences with food courts are in malls in America and they’re full of fast food outlets. I’d imagine it’d be the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,150 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would love to see something like the Time out market in Lisbon
    it is excellent and contains no international fast food chains.

All the images used by Wright's for their one are from Time Out so that's what they're aiming for. But they've not started work as far as I know.

Shopping centre ones are inevitably going to have franchises in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Big shopping center where I live now in Manchester. It has the usual Mcdonalds, KFC, Five Guys, Nandos etc. However it also has an independent section with places like below

D6ILZAKWsAAucGA?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

D6ILZAJWkAEGOQV?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

D6ILZAGXsAAvSpI?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

AF1QipNx2SZL5N6zmdyspyIwFAPWrfQGCkfS5YCd_Nfq=w600-k

+ lots of other food stalls and a butchers, fruit and veg and fishmongers.

No reason why Blanch or somewhere in town shouldn't have a setup like this but Irish people seem to want Icelands and Krispy kremes and no independents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Just passed mountview shops on the bus. Hoarding around it with banners from Iceland on it.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Just passed mountview shops on the bus. Hoarding around it with banners from Iceland on it.

Are there any other shops planned for the Mountview development or is it just Iceland? It looks quite large!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Are there any other shops planned for the Mountview development or is it just Iceland? It looks quite large!

I've actually no idea I only saw the Iceland banners and the building haven't seen a planning notice or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

RasTa wrote: »

No reason why Blanch or somewhere in town shouldn't have a setup like this but Irish people seem to want Icelands and Krispy kremes and no independents

If Irish people only want big chains then there's surely no point in putting in small places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Big shopping center where I live now in Manchester. It has the usual Mcdonalds, KFC, Five Guys, Nandos etc. However it also has an independent section with places like below

The UK is far more dominated by chains than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If Irish people only want big chains then there's surely no point in putting in small places.
    There are loads of small and independent places in markets in the city no reason they wouldn't do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I went to the new Japanesse restaurant in blanchardstown village last week. Very tasty food and the staff are lovely. Would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I went to the new Japanesse restaurant in blanchardstown village last week. Very tasty food and the staff are lovely. Would recommend.

Also visited Shibuyashi recently and really enjoyed it. Food was great, a nice casual atmosphere and staff were very friendly (if a little inexperienced maybe).

A great addition to the dining options in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

At a quick glance, I thought it was an anagram of ‘I buy hashish’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

This is very similar to what was the Epicurean Food Hall which use to be located between Middle Abbey St and Liffey St. I believe it closed down a few years ago.

Advertisement