Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

McGiver wrote: »
    The Germans crashed a gen1.5 Leaf to see what happens. The results aren't good.

https://youtu.be/KzBotW7KLeo
    https://youtu.be/dclFMzKSJMA

Note: This is supposed to be a car with Euro NCAP 5 stars...

EDIT: NCAP are tested at 30 and 50 kph allegedly.

Bull**** the results aren’t good, do that to any normal car and it wouldn’t even stay together it would be in two half’s.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Bull**** the results aren’t good, do that to any normal car and it wouldn’t even stay together it would be in two half’s.

I wonder how other cars compare, looks like the battery didn't explode tho!

Also this is why a tree is one of the worst things to hit, normal poles just snap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Yeah upon second thought, this is isn't a standard test. And surprisingly the battery didn't ignite, so I'd say it's actually fine given it's Nissan :)

graememk wrote:
    Also this is why a tree is one of the worst things to hit, normal poles just snap

Yep. Hitting a tree at 75kph seems to be deadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well Duh.

Were they trying to make evs look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Hitting a tree at 75km/h in anything is pretty deadly

graememk wrote:
    Hitting a tree at 75km/h in anything is pretty deadly
    Oh yeah. I didn't say in Leaf specifically :)

NIMAN wrote:
    Were they trying to make evs look bad.
    You could argue that the battery didn't catch the fire or explode so this is actually a positive thing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was there ever a recall done for the rear axle issue?
    KCross wrote: »
    No, you had to complain and show that it was out of spec and demand it be done... obviously before the 3yr warranty was up!

No, not officially but the shim kit part number kinda lets us know that Nissan knows. But the problem is that it rear its head until NCT time and that’s 4 years, but the warranty is 3 years so my advice would be to get a full Alignment test after 2 years but that’s a bit late now for 2014, 2015 and similar cars.

I got mine done with some goodwill but still cost me a couple of hundred euro through Nissan in Airside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

kceire wrote: »
    No, not officially but the shim kit part number kinda lets us know that Nissan knows. But the problem is that it rear its head until NCT time and that’s 4 years, but the warranty is 3 years so my advice would be to get a full Alignment test after 2 years but that’s a bit late now for 2014, 2015 and similar cars.

I got mine done with some goodwill but still cost me a couple of hundred euro through Nissan in Airside.

Does this apply to leafs from 2011-2017?

• Advertisement

Does this apply to leafs from 2011-2017?

Yes. Mine was 2014.
    It’s also applicable to the new L40 as I believe Nissan still use the solid rear axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It’s also applicable to the new L40 as I believe Nissan still use the solid rear axle.

Surely the issue is resolved by now for newly built cars?!!

I thought it was an issue just for the initial gen 1.5 Sunderland built cars (2013-2016)

I thought it was an issue just for the initial gen 1.5 Sunderland built cars (2013-2016)

You may be right. I can’t 100% confirm. I was of the opinion that the L40 was still a solid rear axle so the problem was still possible.

So if my Leaf has passed an NCT then it definitely hasn't got the rear axle issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭creedp

My 2016 L30 is fine. I just replaced the original Michelin energy rear tyres with 107k km on them and they wore perfectly even. The front nokian eline passenger tyre wore faster on the outside. However I only got 24k out of the front tyres so will be going back to Michellin energy next time.

Edit. Sorry I forgot to take account of the 14k km done on winter tyres so it was 93k kms done on original rear michellin energy tyre

kceire wrote:
    Yes. Mine was 2014. It’s also applicable to the new L40 as I believe Nissan still use the solid rear axle.
    How does the issue manifest?

You may be right. I can’t 100% confirm. I was of the opinion that the L40 was still a solid rear axle so the problem was still possible.

It probably does have a solid beam rear axle but surely Nissan have fixed the design of it and made it more robust as I think the issue is that it bends a little which put the alignment out. I'd expect they've beefed it up a bit to stop warranty claims.

I havent heard of L40's having the issue but maybe its too early to tell.

So if my Leaf has passed an NCT then it definitely hasn't got the rear axle issue?

Not necessarily.

You need to eyeball the rear tyres and see that they are wearing evenly.

Also note that it doesnt happen every Leaf. Seems to be somewhat random.

Yes. It should. E picked up on the rear slip test. Have a look at your results and see if you passed by a good margin or just scrapped a pass.
    creedp wrote: »
    My 2016 L30 is fine. I just replaced the original Michelin energy rear tyres with 107k km on them and they wore perfectly even. The front nokian eline passenger tyre wore faster on the outside. However I only got 24k out of the front tyres so will be going back to Michellin energy next time.

Edit. Sorry I forgot to take account of the 14k km done on winter tyres so it was 93k kms done on original rear michellin energy tyre

My rear tires were perfect too. Even wear across both on the rear. I only realized I had the issue when it failed the nct on rear slip.
    How does the issue manifest?

You fail the NCT on rear slip test/alignment. And you physically can’t go to an alignment shop and adjust like you would with any other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Yes. It should. E picked up on the rear slip test. Have a look at your results and see if you passed by a good margin or just scraped a pass

Ah nuts. My 152 had its first NCT a few weeks back, and I think the rear slip allowance is +/- 20%. My result was 19 :(

deadduck wrote: »
    Ah nuts. My 152 had its first NCT a few weeks back, and I think the rear slip allowance is +/- 20%. My result was 19 :(

Check the rear tyre wear, particularly the rear passenger side.

It wont matter if its only slightly uneven but it could also be massively out which will result in premature wear and replacement of the tyre.

Since you are already out of warranty your best bet is to use the shim kit rather than replace the axle. Your local mechanic should be able to do that.

• Advertisement

deadduck wrote: »

How does this look?
    I think it’s right on the limit, but not sure if the rest of this limit is hard to reach etc

How does this look?
    I think it’s right on the limit, but not sure if the rest of this limit is hard to reach etc

Your at -17. The fail is at -18.
    Iirc after the fix, mine dropped to like -8.

I think yours is slightly out but it passed this time round. When is your next test? I’d maybe leave it till then and see if there’s any change unless of course if your chewing through rear tyres.

Your at -17. The fail is at -18.
    Iirc after the fix, mine dropped to like -8.

I think yours is slightly out but it passed this time round. When is your next test? I’d maybe leave it till then and see if there’s any change unless of course if your chewing through rear tyres.

Ah sugar. Test was done November 2018. Next test is November 2010.

Ah sugar. Test was done November 2018. Next test is November 2010.

Talk to Phil in electric autos. He posted on Facebook about a local garage that can do the shim kit even cheaper than what I got it for with goodwill from Nissan.

From memory it was less than €200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

How does this look?

Double checked mine after seeing your post, mine’s the exact same (17/18). I remembered it was only passed by 1, but not 19/20 like I originally posted.

I’ll have to take a look at the tyres now and see if there’s anything obvious going on. But as said, if all looks good, I’ll leave it go until the next test and then get the shim kit fitted if needed

Talk to Phil in electric autos. He posted on Facebook about a local garage that can do the shim kit even cheaper than what I got it for with goodwill from Nissan.

From memory it was less than €200

Ok. Good to know. Less than 200 is good. Was original fix equal to replace whole axle or what? And presume vey expensive?

Do the rear tyres wear faster than the front?

If skim kit needed, do they wear unevenly?

kceire wrote:
    You fail the NCT on rear slip test/alignment. And you physically can’t go to an alignment shop and adjust like you would with any other car.
    OK don't have that. Passed nct last Jan. Can it still appear? It's 151 L24.

Just checked my NCT and mine was -1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It probably does have a solid beam rear axle...

If it was a solid beam axle it wouldn't get bent out of shape so easily. Torsion beams aren't solid :)

Advertisement