Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I did a full charge to 100 and left for an hour on Thursday. Should there be so many red lines?

Whats the reason for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Anyone here got a newish 40kw leaf? Myself and herself test drove one yesterday. Really like it and works with our budget.

Just looking to see how people find them for motorway range. She has a round trip commute of 128km, all 120kph motorway without traffic, no charging in work for now unfortunately.

On paper is should be perfectly adequate, just looking for some real world info.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

It would be perfectly fine .. I've a new 40 and while I don't commute every day I have a 140km round trip and if I take it handy I can get home in the evening with 50% showing on the battery .. and that is 90% motorway.

it's a surprisingly nice car to drive and in the SVE spec it has just about all you'd need for comfortable motoring. I really like the ProPilot and Bose sound system for the boring commute

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Thanks for that! Should suit perfectly.

Yeah was really impressed with how it drove. Just deciding on what spec suits best. May very well pull the trigger for January!

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

This is a 24 kWh LEAF right? The colours work the opposite ways when charging/discharging. The blue lines when discharging are shunts i.e. modules are connected together for balancing. Nothing to worry about. 17 mV at 55% SOC is actually a good result based on how our 2015 car behaved when it was a couple of years old. Also the SOH 88% means you'll probably have still a good while to go before the car drops the 1st capacity bar.

The bottom line is that there is nothing to worry about your battery based on that graph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Thanks for the reply. I read a few things online which put my mind at ease. Really loving the leaf in general, while the range isn’t amazing it’s actually perfect for my needs.

They are just so pleasant and painless car to drive and most details are really well thought out in them. The 2013-> batteries seem to last really well even without active cooling unless you go absolutely bonkers with the number of quick charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

So I’m getting a crazy idea again.

Last year I moved from 161 L24 Tekna to 172 L30 Tekna

I’m half thinking of going again for a 181 L40

I could sell now before Christmas, borrow a loaner for a couple of months and get something in the UK early next year.

Im wondering what kind of prices are going for a 172 tekna with 12 bars and < 20k km?

do prices drop much between nov and feb?

am I mad?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

"get something in the UK early next year"

You do know that will be subject to 23% VAT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

My understanding is if the car is manufactured in the UK there will be no Vat implications?

• Advertisement

Your understanding is unfortunately incorrect, well covered on main Boards motor forum. This is why second hand car prices have surged.

Only loophole is you can import from NI VAT free as long as the car was registered in NI by 31.12.2020

Any idea what that "manufactured in UK" information is about so, I got that from a guy importing cars from auctions so I was hoping he knew what he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

So, I have a thread up and running about upgrading my 151 L24, and I'm looking at lots of options (I once got feedback on Adverts saying "A very careful buyer" and they weren't wrong! 😄 ).

Anyhow, I'd thought I'd ask this here as it's more specifically a Leaf question. Is there any difference between a 181 L40 Tekna and a 181 L40 SVE, any difference at all in spec? And also, while I think of it, is there any difference between a 181 L40 Tekna/SVE and a 221 L40 Tekna/SVE, in terms of spec, was there a facelift/upgrade/remodel or something in those last three years, which means the 221 model has something more/less than the 181 one?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

You don't have to pay the 10% import duty if you are importing from the country it was manufactured in. So there is no import duty on a 2013-onwards leaf as it was made in Sunderland, assuming you are importing from the UK. Same is true if you are buying a Japanese made car from Japan etc.

Is it possible to claim the vat back on the purchase of the car in the UK or purchase the car ex vat in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Hi Folks looking for some advice in relation to a 2017 leaf 30kw - battery soh 76% and lost 2 bars in last 6 months. have it in for software update next week and yearly service. 56k miles on the clock. really happy with the car though battery soh and degradation quite worrying. been onto nissan ireland by phone and in writing as not happy with local service crowd as raised same concern last year at service. Interestingly drove 30000 km in last 12 months. Great machines!

You might be in for a replacement battery before the 8 year 100k miles warranty is up. Fingers crossed. The stats show that you don't have any weak cells and the degradation behaviour is the same as with the cars with the buggy BMS firmware. But your 4NR6A is the correct firmware for cars with Japanese cells (apparently).

Well that is far from normal, I sold our 162 L30 with something like 70k on the clock earlier this year at ~92% SOH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

When one charges a Nissan Leaf from home on for example a 3.6 charger………will it constantly charge at this 3.6 rate for the full duration or does it drop off to a lower rate towards the last hour or so of charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

Sounds like you just need the HV battery firmware upgrade.

Lots of info on this forum.

I got mine done in nissan belgard and you just need to be specific what you want. It was never a recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes, it drops off towards the end for cell balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Thank you. Would this roughly be the last hour or last 10 mins only?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I cant actually remember. It would somewhat depend on how much balancing is required though.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ltd440

At a guess I'd say more like the last hour.

Sometimes I'd jump into the car over an hour before charging is due to finish and its fully charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Is anyone worried about the Leaf and it's chademo phase out? Nissan are offering 0% at the moment and it looks like a great deal. However, I am worried where things will be in 5-6 years and it the lack off CSS on the Leaf will seriously affect the resell value.

The CCS vs. CHAdeMO is a bit of a worry but at the same time the finances on a new leaf make lots of sense at the moment and they are actually available and have a good size boot for dogs and stuff and very tried and tested technology now: Both the hardware and software are reliable and they are also pleasant to drive and have proper buttons instead of touchy feely switches. And it seems that the latest revisions of the AESC batteries also last real well. Even the efficiency of them is good compared to ID.3 etc.

So if you expect to be able to operate mainly with home charging it won't be an issue going forward, especially in Ireland where ecars seems to continue to cater for CHAdeMO rather well.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

The 0% at the moment on the Leaf makes it very hard to ignore. The only thing I am reluctant about is that connector. I suppose the reality is that we won't really know for sure. To punt or not to punt!

If I lived in Germany I would be very reluctant buying a LEAF but in the small island of Ireland with ecars are still building the Chad stations, less so. But you will never be able to charge at say Tesla Superchargers if/when they open for the 3rd party in Ireland also.

I guess it all boils down to if you can drive most of your routes with home charging alone and the current attractive price for the class of a car vs. future proofing and resale value. But even without any public charging at all an used LEAF will be an attractive second car for school runs for many years to come.

If anything the Leaf is a good buy viz Public Fast Charging, most cars now are CCS so Leaf owners will not have same queuing times given disproportionate numbers of CHAdeMO chargers vs CCS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Yes, the new 150kW dual charge points mean us in the LEAF brigade get our own chargers since the CCS in operation has no impact on us. I am also surprised about how many new LEAF drivers there are, and I guess the 0% finance is helping (even if the garages are upping the sale price to compensate...). It's just a very reliable and spacious new-to-EV car at that price point, even with the competion from MG, Peugeot, and VW.

Advertisement