Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

Zenith74 wrote: »
    I sold an immaculate 2014 Leaf24 Tekna 3.3kW with slightly lower mileage in February for €12k.

Did it take long to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Did it take long to sell?

Had it on DoneDeal/CarZone for about a month, just one or two calls. Put it on adverts.ie, was sold within a week. Had a few people out to look at it, all interested so confident it was an achievable price at the time not a fluke. Happy to provide receipt/proof to your friend’s insurer if it comes to that.

Though the world has changed a lot since then obviously, €10k could be hard to get for it today, although list prices seem to be holding up quite well from what I’ve seen.

Had it on DoneDeal/CarZone for about a month, just one or two calls. Put it on adverts.ie, was sold within a week. Had a few people out to look at it, all interested so confident it was an achievable price at the time not a fluke. Happy to provide receipt/proof to your friend’s insurer if it comes to that.

Though the world has changed a lot since then obviously, €10k could be hard to get for it today, although list prices seem to be holding up quite well from what I’ve seen.

Thanks for reply.

Yes, lower spec Leafs seem to be going for 11.5, there's multiple examples. Whether they're selling is another question.

But I've seen higher priced same spec Leafs sell over lower spec same spec Leafs too.

Can I ask what you replaced the Leaf with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I have been viewing some used LEAFs recently and have noticed a number of them look like the attached picture.
    What is causing this white rough residue build up? Is it water damage? Corrosion? Is it anything to worry about?

Versus nice smooth grey cover here

Zamboni wrote: »
    I have been viewing some used LEAFs recently and have noticed a number of them look like the attached picture.
    What is causing this white rough residue build up? Is it water damage? Corrosion? Is it anything to worry about?

Versus nice smooth grey cover here

Similar query here - https://www.speakev.com/threads/mild-white-dusty-motor-casing-corrosion-on-2yr-old-leaf.15976/. Nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

Thanks for reply.

Yes, lower spec Leafs seem to be going for 11.5, there's multiple examples. Whether they're selling is another question.

But I've seen higher priced same spec Leafs sell over lower spec same spec Leafs too.

Can I ask what you replaced the Leaf with?

Sold 151 SV (Visia), 3.3 kW charger, 90% DPH (12 bars), 45k kms in the January for 9700. A bit under the going price but didn't have any interest so went with the first serious buyer for quick cash.

Current price for this spec / age is 10200 or so I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi

For those of you in the know can I ask what you'd expect to pay for the leaf in the link? It's the SVE 40Kwh spec. I spoke to the dealership, I know what they're asking for it. I've looked up similar leafs, 2018, and I think the price is at the upper end. Low km's fair enough. Dealer asking €25k

This would be my first EV, I'm just wondering if I'd be better advised to look at other makes.

https://m.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2487545&r=s.php%3Fm%3D61%26o%3D2167%26l%5B%5D%3D18%26g%3D0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭obi604

Delete.

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi

For those of you in the know can I ask what you'd expect to pay for the leaf in the link? It's the SVE 40Kwh spec. I spoke to the dealership, I know what they're asking for it. I've looked up similar leafs, 2018, and I think the price is at the upper end. Low km's fair enough. Dealer asking €25k

This would be my first EV, I'm just wondering if I'd be better advised to look at other makes.

https://m.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2487545&r=s.php%3Fm%3D61%26o%3D2167%26l%5B%5D%3D18%26g%3D0

It’s not outlandishly expensive compared to the rest of the market here, having watched the Leaf40s since early this year they’ve kind of hovered around €23-€25k. They actually seem to have gone up slightly here and in the UK since C19, not sure why.

Would you consider importing one? This is the same spec car, low mileage but with ProPilotPark (£1000 option) for €23k. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006270577140.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

The drawbacks of the Leaf are Chademo charging & no active battery cooling. Neither are an issue if you don't intend on doing long distances &/or, need fast charging.
    Chademo will not be available on any new cars going forward - Nissan have finally dropped it. Some charging networks (Ionity) don't have Chademo connectors so you'll be unable to use them in a Leaf.

You could check out the BMW i3 with 33kWh or 44kWh battery capacities or the older Ioniq, or new Ioniq too. Depends on your budget & proposed use to a large degree, to be honest.

Renault has the Zoe (very small) but I'd say do plenty of research & try to see/drive as many as you can.

Best of luck :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The leaf 40 in SVE spec is a great family car, pro pilot is awesome for a congested commute. Its comfy for a family and handling and performance are good for the type of car. If coming from diesel or small petrol it will feel almost hot hatch. If the car will mainly be charged from home and has the range for the majority of your use it will last many years and be cheap to run. Leafs due to Chademo and air cooled batteries do have limitations for longer ranges but with the right planning in Ireland it is capable of longer journeys but expect to queue for fast chargers at times and limitations to charging speeds will delay you. CCS does have additional options on main routes. I owned a Leaf40 and my wife and two kids really miss it. Reliable range is approx 200/220 kms but can do much better in summer. Motorways in 100kmph + speeds drain the range savagely!

The I3 is another option in your price range, more than likely a 2017 94ah BEV or 2016 range extender. This car in many respects is not in the same league as the leaf 40, pro pilot is much better auto driving than BMW traffic jam assist, the basic spec of the Leaf is much higher and the driving position and general comfort of the leaf is better. However what the I3 has is an exceptional driving experience, cool interior and all round fun. Its a lightweight aluminium chassis with a carbon fiber body, its the lotus of EV's and brings a smile to both myself and my wife when we drive. We had a Leaf 40 and swapped that for a M3 but the I3 is our goto car for a daily driver and commuter car. The I3 is also looking like a solid bet for longevity, the bodywork will never rust and the battery is losing very little capacity as it ages and does ok for long journeys with CCS and a decent battery management and efficient drive chain. Reliable range is 180 / 220 kms and 150 for motorway, with a heatpump the winter range is 150/200 kms and at motorway speeds the range is similar to the leaf despite the leaf having a much bigger battery.

I have owned both the leaf and I3 but the first gen Ioniq at your price range should be a candidate and a chance to save a few bob as these can be found in the 20k range. Good spec with a few toys and a capable family car. Fast(ish) charging certainly the fastest in the price range and exceptional efficiency. More range than the I3, similar range to the l40 with faster charging. Not as exciting as the I3 and the leaf (SVE) is the better tech/spec. Long term the battery loses very little (water cooled battery) and CCS charging makes it a good long term bet for reliability and if you do long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

krissovo wrote: »
    Reliable range is approx 200/220 kms but can do much better in summer. Motorways in 100kmph + speeds drain the range savagely!

I drive on motorways daily and it seems the majority of drivers in this country are happy to drive at 80-90km/h or not much more. I've driven in dozens of countries but I've never seen this anywhere else. If you are one of these people, then the range of the Leaf is reasonable enough

If however, you like to make a bit more progress on motorways and you drive at 120-130km/h (or more), the range of the Leaf is very poor. In that case I wouldn't attempt a 150km commute in it in winter unless you are willing to slow down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

as a new leaf owner i will echo what krissovo has said.

have done 300km round trip with fast charge on route, its was a mix of motorway and regular roads - battery issue was nothing to worry about. When driving normal roads its a perfectly capable car, just when you hit motorway and doing 100+ you eat your range especially if against the wind.. Planning to do a 450 km round day trip in the next few weeks so for me that will be the real test.
    Since going from a petrol sucking car, leaf does change your driving style as result less likely to pick up a speeding ticket i suppose. Overall i'm still really happy about the car despite the backlash i see on boards regarding its pit falls. It has met my requirements, vastly reduced my running costs and hope the overall maintenance through time will be minimal in comparison to the problems i have had with ICE cars in order to pass NCT (which should be applicable to any electric car you choose).

when looking for a car list out you should list out your requirements and then look for a car that matches it. some people its range, have CCS charging, Price etc. In my price range Leaf was in it which had space in the back , space in the boot and possibly more importantly the wife liked it more than the others. Base spec in leaf too is really loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Hey folks

Ive a 2015 Leaf with the smaller 24KWH batter, had it about 3 months and really enjoying the electic expirence. Because the range is about 120km, we charge it when the battery hits about 50%. Do you think that will damage the battery or can you pretty much keep plugging it in after every use. Typically, with battery tech you really should be letting it run down to about 10% or so but any advice on the car battery would be great.

Thanks

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Hey folks

Ive a 2015 Leaf with the smaller 24KWH batter, had it about 3 months and really enjoying the electic expirence. Because the range is about 120km, we charge it when the battery hits about 50%. Do you think that will damage the battery or can you pretty much keep plugging it in after every use. Typically, with battery tech you really should be letting it run down to about 10% or so but any advice on the car battery would be great.

Thanks

You should get the Leafspy app and a bluetooth eml reader.

The Leafspy will tell you the % State of Health of the battery more precisely than the 12 bars.

You can then monitor then if your charging pattern is not good and even your driving style.

Interestingly , I have improved the SOH of my battery through my driving style, and this happens more so on motorway driving or long regional road drives. I've noticed pottering around town isn't great for SOH.

The SoH of the batter is fine, just wondering about the charging practice.
    on another note, Nissan software is a disaster and its proving very diffficult to connect the car to the nissan app.

Hey folks

Thanks

I think you're talking about the battery memory effect, however that was applicable to a couple of specific battery chemistries, not the kind used in electric cars. So you don't need to worry that not letting the battery run down to near-empty will damage the battery in this way.

Things that are known to damage the kinds of batteries used in our electric cars are leaving them at a high state of charge for long periods, draining them to very low states of charge or letting them get too hot. To mitigate the first issue (long time at high states of charge) EV manfacturers don't let us access the entire battery, so even though the dash says 100% charged, in reality the cells are more like 90% charged. The same thing for the second issue (low state of charge), the car will not let you drain the cells to 0% charge even though the dash may tell you you're there. Heat is a bit more of an issue for the Leaf because it doesn't have cooled batteries, however in the Irish climate unless you're doing multiple quick charges a day this is really not an issue for you.

In summary, drive the car, enjoy it, charge whenever suits you, it makes virtually no difference to the life of the battery in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

on another note, Nissan software is a disaster and its proving very diffficult to connect the car to the nissan app.

The Nissan app service was broken over the last few weeks. Only seems to have recovered again in the last day or so.

Try again.

I think you're talking about the battery memory effect, however that was applicable to a couple of specific battery chemistries, not the kind used in electric cars. So you don't need to worry that not letting the battery run down to near-empty will damage the battery in this way.

Things that are known to damage the kinds of batteries used in our electric cars are leaving them at a high state of charge for long periods, draining them to very low states of charge or letting them get too hot. To mitigate the first issue (long time at high states of charge) EV manfacturers don't let us access the entire battery, so even though the dash says 100% charged, in reality the cells are more like 90% charged. The same thing for the second issue (low state of charge), the car will not let you drain the cells to 0% charge even though the dash may tell you you're there. Heat is a bit more of an issue for the Leaf because it doesn't have cooled batteries, however in the Irish climate unless you're doing multiple quick charges a day this is really not an issue for you.

In summary, drive the car, enjoy it, charge whenever suits you, it makes virtually no difference to the life of the battery in Ireland.

Brilliant, that's what I meant..
    Thanks !

KCross wrote: »
    The Nissan app service was broken over the last few weeks. Only seems to have recovered again in the last day or so.

Try again.

never had an issue bar it being slow (note i'm connected to "world" through Leafspy), Leafspy got a recent update and practically using that all the time now, well worth it.

How crap the nissan app is what people should have complained more rather them hating the fact there is chademo or no liquid cooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

Kramer wrote:
    The drawbacks of the Leaf are Chademo charging & no active battery cooling. Neither are an issue if you don't intend on doing long distances &/or, need fast charging. Chademo will not be available on any new cars going forward - Nissan have finally dropped it. Some charging networks (Ionity) don't have Chademo connectors so you'll be unable to use them in a Leaf.
    Nope. Only for larger battery and premium cars they'll stick in CCS. They'll keep it with Leaf whatever next incarnation of it it's going to be. They haven't given up fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

Just bought a leaf, never had electric or an auto for that matter. Been driving it for a few days now and wondering what should I be doing at traffic lights. Is it OK to leave the car in drive with my foot on the brake while I wait or should I be dropping it into neutral....

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

McGiver wrote: »
    Nope. Only for larger battery and premium cars they'll stick in CCS. They'll keep it with Leaf whatever next incarnation of it it's going to be. They haven't given up fully.

I don't think that will actually happen, they are just trying the assuage the fears of current Leaf drivers. I think it's a safe bet that Nissan will not release another EV in the EU without a CCS connector.

gary29428 wrote: »
    Just bought a leaf, never had electric or an auto for that matter. Been driving it for a few days now and wondering what should I be doing at traffic lights. Is it OK to leave the car in drive with my foot on the brake while I wait or should I be dropping it into neutral....

Thanks

Same any automatic really, for short stops you put your foot on the brake and that's it, for a longer stop (eg. driving through Dublin in rush hour :() you might put it in Park so you can take your feet off the pedals and gaze out the window wondering where you went wrong in life.

gary29428 wrote: »

Thanks

Congrats, well wear, what leaf did you get ?

It depends if you think blinding People behind you with brake lights, especially these new bright LED lights is ok, especially at night ?

Not trying to sound like a smart arse but it really bugs me that people sit on the brakes all the time and never use the handbrake, it can be quite irritating for People behind.

And remember that if you're on the motorway and you got the car in B the brake lights do not come on even though you're slowing down quite fast, you may find cars getting quite close to your rear. I never used B on the motorway, found it a pain in the ass, use your foot.

Anyway from a mechanical point of view it won't have any impact on the car leaving your foot on the brake at lights but it's actually bad practice and you're thought when stopped by your driving instructor to leave the car in neutral with the handbrake on.

Same any automatic really, for short stops you put your foot on the brake and that's it, for a longer stop (eg. driving through Dublin in rush hour :() you might put it in Park so you can take your feet off the pedals and gaze out the window wondering where you were wrong in life.

I'll see your Dublin in rush hour and raise you a rainy Friday evening in Galway...:)

Congrats, well wear, what leaf did you get ?

It depends if you think blinding People behind you with brake lights, especially these new bright LED lights is ok, especially at night ?

Not trying to sound like a smart arse but it really bugs me that people sit on the brakes all the time and never use the handbrake, it can be quite irritating for People behind.

And remember that if you're on the motorway and you got the car in B the brake lights do not come on even though you're slowing down quite fast, you may find cars getting quite close to your rear. I never used B on the motorway, found it a pain in the ass, use your foot.

Anyway from a mechanical point of view it won't have any impact on the car leaving your foot on the brake at lights but it's actually bad practice and you're thought when stopped by your driving instructor to leave the car in neutral with the handbrake on.

Got a 191 40kWh....well parking the stopping at lights etiquette question, appreciate the technical advise, wasn't sure if leaving the car in D under braking had a negative effect on the car..appreciate the reply's...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

it really bugs me that people sit on the brakes all the time and never use the handbrake, it can be quite irritating for People behind.

Prepare to be perpetually bugged then - new cars invariably have auto hold, which holds the car on the brakes & negates the need for a manual handbrake.

Brake lights will be illuminated, whenever stopped.

There's also an argument to be made, on safety grounds, for sitting stopped, without brake lights illuminated.

Answering the poster's question - I'd never move out of drive when stopped at traffic lights, that defeats the whole advantage of an automatic/EV.

Kramer wrote: »
    Prepare to be perpetually bugged then - new cars invariably have auto hold, which holds the car on the brakes & negates the need for a manual handbrake.

Brake lights will be illuminated, whenever stopped.

There's also an argument to be made, on safety grounds, for sitting stopped, without brake lights illuminated.

Answering the poster's question - I'd never move out of drive when stopped at traffic lights, that defeats the whole advantage of an automatic/EV.

Thanks for the reply, as I said i have never owned either so good to know. appreciate the help.

• Advertisement

at lights personally mainly leave it in P, especially if i know how the lights sequence works so know how long i'm waiting. Long waits = P short wait leave in D.

Advertisement