Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Nissan supposedly pulling out of europe.

The word they used in the article was "pull back" not pull out. I know you'd like to see the end of the Leaf! :)

It looks like they are reducing production and will be importing from Japan to utilise the trade agreement between Japan/Europe which to be honest makes sense.

With Brexit, the trade agreement and now this pull back rumour, Sunderland has an uncertain future for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

KCross wrote: »
    The word they used in the article was "pull back" not pull out. I know you'd like to see the end of the Leaf! :)

It looks like they are reducing production and will be importing from Japan to utilise the trade agreement between Japan/Europe which to be honest makes sense.

With Brexit, the trade agreement and now this pull back rumour, Sunderland has an uncertain future for sure.

its exactly that,
    if you don't like Nissan or the leaf in particular so be it. but if referencing external source at least provide it in the context provided. Dealerships will continue to sell Nissan, how this discussion will affect pricing would be hard to say. If they are streamlining their production in japan and exporting then the price will be more competitive which i think most on this forum have said Nissan need to start doing.

Japan have a trade deal now so no need to have a production in Europe, now that the UK is out of the EU, id say you could say bye bye to that Sunderland plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Paywall
    This article is reserved for subscribers.

You must be an Automotive News subscriber to read this article. To continue reading, please subscribe — a subscription to Automotive News includes unlimited access to both europe.autonews.com and autonews.com.
    Text of the article is fully available in the source of the page randomly!

LONDON -- Nissan has pushed back against reports that it plans to reduce operations in Europe to focus on SUVs as part of a global turnaround plan.

Nissan will rely on its two best-selling SUVs, the Qashqai and Juke, to maintain a presence in Europe while selling its factory in Barcelona, Spain, according to sources.

In a statement to Automotive News Europe, Nissan said it "remains fully committed to strengthening our product lineup in Europe as part of our ongoing efforts to make the business more competitive."

The launch of the new-generation Juke small SUV in November was the first step in renewing its European passenger car lineup, Nissan said.

Europe was Nissan's worst performing region financially in the nine months to the end of December, when it lost the equivalent of 222 million euros, company records show. The company has only had one profitable year in its European region, which includes Russia, since 2012.

Nissan's sales in Europe are heavily dependent on the Qashqai and Juke, both of which are built in its factory in Sunderland, England, the UK's biggest car plant.

The Qashqai is its European best-seller, with sales of 42,590 in the first three months, down 31 percent, according to JATO Dynamics market researchers. Juke sales dropped 19 percent to 15,025. Nissan's total European sales fell 26 percent to 86,205 through March.

Nissan unveiled a new stamping line at the Sunderland plant in March in preparation for production of the third-generation Qashqai.

The new Qashqai is expected to arrive in 2021 and will be available with hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions, sources have said.

Sunderland built 325,243 cars in the financial year to the end of March, down 22 percent, company figures show.

Reports last year said Nissan was exploring the sale of its plants in Sunderland and Barcelona, with the Barcelona plant most at risk.

Production at the Barcelona plant fell 38 percent in the financial year to the end of March to 55,022 vehicles after it lost the Pulsar compact car in 2018 and the combustion engine version of the NV200 van in 2019.

The plant will also lose the Mercedes X-Class pickup based on the Nissan Navara. It also builds the slow-selling Renault Alaskan pickup.

Nissan Europe is expected to rely more heavily on models built in Japan in the future. It will import the new X-Trail to Europe from Japan this year after dropping plans to build the midsize SUV in Sunderland,

Exports of Nissan cars to Europe from Japan grew 32 percent to 37,101 in the 12 months to the end of March, Nissan figures show. The EU and Japan are phasing out auto tariffs as part of a free-trade deal.

Nissan is expected to announce its restructuring plan on May 28. Its strategy will be to free resources from underperforming businesses so Nissan can eventually channel more resources into the U.S., Chinese and Japanese markets, sources told Automotive News, a sister publication of Automotive News Europe.

Any got a 40kwh leaf?
    What's the real range?
    My commute is 40km at 120kph and 60km at 100kph (Assume no traffic) round trip.
    100km a day.
    I'd be charging every night any way but just curious ,will probably get a work charge point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

My 2018 40kwh leaf was showing 270 km predicted range a year ago, now, with just 12k km on the clock it won't go above 230 km range at 100% charge, so I'm not impressed with that, only your own range requirements should decide which model you need...

• Advertisement

Thats a poor show ,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Leafs have always had worse deg due to inferior batteries and the lack of cooling.
    Remember that the indicated range is irrelevant though, as this is a function of prior driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Range of any car is entirely dependant on your driving style.

I see people all the time say that you'll never get less than 200km from a 40kWh Leaf regardless of speed or weather.

Yet I've test driven one (put up nearly 500km in 24 hours) and I measured less than 160km in cold weather at motorway speed.

People say they easily get 220km out of the 94ah i3 even in bad weather, best I've ever managed in a warm summer was 185km.

You really need to fully test drive the car to see how your own driving style and the weight of your foot affects the numbers.

Plus as ELM327 says, all Leafs have crappy battery thermal management so will degrade faster than others. That needs to be taken into account if you're planning to own a Leaf for 3-5 years and you're cutting it fine in year 1.

anyone use dashcams in their leaf? whatya use?
    go wired or setup separate battery for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

Laviski wrote: »

If anyone has done this I'd be interested in this too, thanks.

• Advertisement

mainly asking in this thread rather than the dash cam thread, as specifically wanted to know if people opted to use external battery or went wired. If went wired how did it affect the car's range etc. Also their opinions and what they would do differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You might lose a metre of range.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Range of any car is entirely dependant on your driving style.

I see people all the time say that you'll never get less than 200km from a 40kWh Leaf regardless of speed or weather.

I'm (usually) a very low consumption driver and am able to get a range of up to 220 from my 30KW Leaf.
    Energy consumption currently reading 16.8Kw/100Km (is that correct units?) over a high distance.
    What is best long term consumption I could hope to get?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

14 in Summer, 20 in Winter in my experience, that's with AC on 24/7 and heating in the Winter

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm (usually) a very low consumption driver and am able to get a range of up to 220 from my 30KW Leaf.
    Energy consumption currently reading 16.8Kw/100Km (is that correct units?) over a high distance.
    What is best long term consumption I could hope to get?

It's technically 16.8 kWh/100 km, but we'd know what you mean.

I think I used to be around 13 kWh/100 km in my old L24. But I was doing pretty much all shop/school/training runs in < 60 km/h zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any got a 40kwh leaf?
    What's the real range?
    My commute is 40km at 120kph and 60km at 100kph (Assume no traffic) round trip.
    100km a day.
    I'd be charging every night any way but just curious ,will probably get a work charge point too.

100km a day means good fuel savings compared to petrol or diesel. As others have said 160km winter 200km summer is a good guide. A 28kWh Hyundai Ioniq will give you around the same range due to its higher efficiency, but it has battery cooling and CCS charging.

Either gives you 60km+ spare daily for evening trips to the shops or visiting friends.

I do similar commute and save 2000 on fuel using night rate.

Its the non commute trips that will determine suitability, particularly if you need to use public fast chargers as they are often busy, broken or blocked.

zg3409 wrote: »
    100km a day means good fuel savings compared to petrol or diesel. As others have said 160km winter 200km summer is a good guide. A 28kWh Hyundai Ioniq will give you around the same range due to its higher efficiency, but it has battery cooling and CCS charging.

Either gives you 60km+ spare daily for evening trips to the shops or visiting friends.

I do similar commute and save 2000 on fuel using night rate.

Its the non commute trips that will determine suitability, particularly if you need to use public fast chargers as they are often busy, broken or blocked.

Thanks,good info.
    To be honest i never plan on using public charging.Purely a white goods car.
    Burning 60e of petrol a week at the moment (no weekend driving) and thats with the "cheap" petrol prices + no traffic jams :eek:

Thanks,good info.
    To be honest i never plan on using public charging.Purely a white goods car.
    Burning 60e of petrol a week at the moment (no weekend driving) and thats with the "cheap" petrol prices + no traffic jams :eek:
    60e a week is ~240 a month, you won't get much ev for below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The total cost of ownership over 3 years of my Ioniq (that I bought brand new) was less than EUR60 per week. Including depreciation, insurance, tax, maintenance, fuel, opportunity cost of money, the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Range in L40 in cold weather at 120km/h, facing some wind and rain, is around 150km max, as a reference point for worst case scenario. In the present weather, it should do about 180 at 120km/h max but for obvious reasons I haven't tested this since last year. I tend to drive at limit or below, no speeding, but I use the accelerator and never really nerf it with ecomode or speed limiter.

• Advertisement

Won't get much of petrol either and I'd still be spending 240 on petrol.
    No interest in diesel,they are for tractors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Best iv gotten in my 2014 L24 is 157km and worst was 76km over nearly 30k km since i got it in Sep 18.
    Last charge got me 136km so it's all down to driving style. Id say iv coverd just over 1500km in a L40 and always got over 200km each charge except for 1 blast up to Belfast :D
    Laviski wrote: »
    I'v mine plunged into a twin 12v car plug that also show's the voltage of the 12v battery. Use the other one for the Phone

51zCrzzOszL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D4F3WKY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’ve hard wired a dash cam, the fuse box is easily accessible on the passenger side, I posted screenshots way back on an EV Maintenance thread, try searching

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

unkel wrote: »
    The total cost of ownership over 3 years of my Ioniq (that I bought brand new) was less than EUR60 per week. Including depreciation, insurance, tax, maintenance, fuel, opportunity cost of money, the lot.

Not taking away from the point you're making but...

We surely need to be measuring cost per km. Time means nothing really wth the utility is to cover Kms A to B.

With EVs the marginal cost per km is barely material. The overwhelming bulk of total cost of ownership is depreciation, finance / opportunity costs and other fixed costs. At several thousand a year for most EV owners who bought their car new. Unlike ICE cars, EVs cost just €200 or so per 10k km per year to fuel. So even if you did 50k a year (3 times the national average), fuel would only cost a grand for the whole year :D

So, no. Measuring cost per km is not relevant really.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

With EVs the marginal cost per km is barely material. The overwhelming bulk of total cost of ownership is depreciation, finance / opportunity costs and other fixed costs. At several thousand a year for most EV owners who bought their car new. Unlike ICE cars, EVs cost just €200 or so per 10k km per year to fuel. So even if you did 50k a year (3 times the national average), fuel would only cost a grand for the whole year :D

I think you misunderstood. I said cost pre km, not just fuel cost per km. Like you say depreciation, finance, opportunity cost, insurance, tax, maintenance totalled and dividend by the kms covered.

To me cost per km is surely the only way to level out the usage variable.

Similar to the way The AA do it. https://www.theaa.ie/aa/motoring-advice/cost-of-motoring.aspx

Doing 50k km (like I used to in the pre covid times) at 235wh/km (my lifetime average) would take 11,750. Assuming all were paid for, at home, at night rate at ~7.5c/kWh incl vat , that's €881.25 for 50k km. Or , looking at it another way, 1.77c per km. So, as you say, fuel costs are pretty irrelevant. That's not even one monthly repayment.

The expenses are in depreciation, maintenance, interest, etc

The expenses are in depreciation, maintenance, interest, etc

And if you somehow keep depreciation at bay, have a car under full warranty, paid for the car in cash with money from a savings account that doesn't make you any money, then an EV can become a very cheap to own car

My brand new Ioniq, over 3 years, cost me less to own than if someone would have given me a free banger. Incredible figures and even more incredible that not more people have copped on to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I searched the thread and didn't see any question exactly like what I'm experiencing. I've a 181 Leaf, just bought it and have the home charger installed.

When I plug in the car to my home charger, I have it set on a timer to come on at midnight for night rate. The 3 blue lights on the front flash in sequence like it's supposed to and there is a double beep, and a clunking sound. But the beeps repeat with the clunking. Is this normal? It seems from the manual that the double beep happens just after timer is set but does it continue on like that?
    Can it be turned off if it's normal behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

steves2 wrote: »
    I searched the thread and didn't see any question exactly like what I'm experiencing. I've a 181 Leaf, just bought it and have the home charger installed.

When I plug in the car to my home charger, I have it set on a timer to come on at midnight for night rate. The 3 blue lights on the front flash in sequence like it's supposed to and there is a double beep, and a clunking sound. But the beeps repeat with the clunking. Is this normal? It seems from the manual that the double beep happens just after timer is set but does it continue on like that?
    Can it be turned off if it's normal behaviour?

I’m not quite getting your issue?

It is normal for the 3 lights to flash in sequence when connecting and also normal to hear some beeps and clunks from the charger actuator but once that is done (<10s) it should all go quiet from there until the timer kicks in.

Advertisement