Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's the new model. Much bigger!

3 years ago we had booked a Ford Focus size car for our holidays in France. Smaller than Ioniq, but should be fine for the 5 of us and all our luggage (not going to do big mileage). They asked did we want to "upgrade" to a Captur (old model). It was brand spanking new and the kids loved the looks of it (black and orange, a funky thing in fairness). All grand, until we actually had to get ourselves and all our stuff in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Quick question for leaf owners, not the newest model.

When you lock car with remote central locking, does the little red car on the dash flash frantically for may be 5sec, before going to a steady flash every couple of seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

NIMAN wrote: »
    Quick question for leaf owners, not the newest model.

When you lock car with remote central locking, does the little red car on the dash flash frantically for may be 5sec, before going to a steady flash every couple of seconds?

I've seen mine do that, not every time though. I use both keys but I haven't bothered to see if it's key dependant. one key needs a battery replaced so that might be something to do with it

Bobby Llewellyn drove the Nissan Leaf 10 years ago and in today's fully charged show he reflects on this. With original footage of the original test drive. Must see for everyone interested in EVs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Anyone know if there is an option in Nissan leaf 2017 acenta to set up home charging schedule for night rate meter 12=9am and also when you go to the slow charger in town during the day to have the car recognise that you are not at home and overrides the charging schedule as got caught out thought it was charging only to come back to no charge ? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

I don't know about the 171 Leaf but my 151 Leaf has a timer override button on the right hand side of the dashboard, beside the charging port unlock button. I have my charge timer set for night rate too, and when I want to charge during the day I press the port unlock button and then press the timer override button before plugging in the cable in. Then the charge starts properly.

Same with the 171 Leaf, jasonb. And very similar with most other EVs too.

unkel wrote: »

Was thinking there might be something like the VW ev that knows its away from home automatically to do with the nav system and overrides it when plugged in during the day. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sadly not the i3 which is stupid in this case. You have to go into the settings and change it from "off peak" to "charge immediately".

Not a huge job, takes less than 10 seconds especially since when you turn the car off the screen defaults to the current settings so it's just:
    *change setting
    *charge immediately
    *OK (or confirm, whatever)

Then of course you have to revers that when you get home.

The Leaf one off override is soooo much smarter.

Then change it back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

The 2018 leaf (L40) was I believe the first leaf to introduce the "home" section in charging. Set your home in sat nav and you can then tell it in settings to apply timed charging only when plugged in at home - elsewhere it charges immediately when plugged in.

This is extremely handy at home and additionally the text message to let me know i forgot to plug in at home after 15mins has actually saved me a couple of times from being an idiot!

• Advertisement

The 2018 leaf (L40) was I believe the first leaf to introduce the "home" section in charging. Set your home in sat nav and you can then tell it in settings to apply timed charging only when plugged in at home - elsewhere it charges immediately when plugged in.

This is extremely handy at home and additionally the text message to let me know i forgot to plug in at home after 15mins has actually saved me a couple of times from being an idiot!
    Don't think mine '2017 acenta model' has that option though I could be mistaken as dont have a car manual. Will read the online one I have and see. I have set my home in sat nav all right though don't see where to set the timed setting for home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Don't think mine '2017 acenta model' has that option though I could be mistaken as dont have a car manual. Will read the online one I have and see. I have set my home in sat nav all right though don't see where to set the timed setting for home.
    No, it was only introduced with the 40kWh facelift model

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That is a super idea, Tesla has that also, others too?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the 40kw sufficient or should you go for the 62kw?

Neither, I would suggest eniro/kona/soul as better Evs

ELM327 wrote: »
    Neither, I would suggest eniro/kona/soul as better Evs

Than the Leaf? I do like the Kona but there supposed to be a long wait to get one.

No wait for a Kona EV. Or a eSoul. Just for eNiro.

One of the regulars in this forum was dead set to buy a new Leaf 40 / 62 but we talked him out of it and he is delighted now that he got an eSoul 64kWh

No wait for a Kona EV. Or a eSoul. Just for eNiro.

One of the regulars in this forum was dead set to buy a new Leaf 40 / 62 but we talked him out of it and he is delighted now that he got an eSoul 64kWh

What toy of charger does the Kona have? I haven’t read all 200 pages of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is the 40kw sufficient or should you go for the 62kw?

i have driven leaf ionic and zoe. Kona was out of my price range and the boot was also tiny. I like the leaf and ionic but have set on getting the base version of the leaf.

Now still waiting on my 2020 leaf, still have time to pull the plug. But i'm still set on it, i do a lot of short trips and mainly city driving so the base version suits me down. Also got scrappage.

If you are doing a reasonable commute every day, i would agree that the ionic would be a better fit especially if you compare against the upgraded leaf 40 spec. You get to enjoy those bells and whistles which i think ionic is better for. If you are doing short journeys alot then base version leaf will be grand in my opinion. Don't get me wrong i do plan on the occasional long drive and the 40kw version will get me there. But because i'm short drive centric i cant justify the extra few k for features i would rarely use. If i really want those features i would aim for model 3 if i could afford it.

another thing to consider is the leaf is still using Chademo, alot of other cars use CCS which most now considered the Europe standard going forward. Again i'm not bothered, charge at home and at work using type 2, also can use type 2 at the esb charge points. Esb charge point will still support Chademo for the foreseeable future. In any event 10 years later down the line i'm sure there will be an adapter in the event CCS wins out.

Laviski wrote: »
    i have driven leaf ionic and zoe. Kona was out of my price range and the boot was also tiny. I like the leaf and ionic but have set on getting the base version of the leaf.

Now still waiting on my 2020 leaf, still have time to pull the plug. But i'm still set on it, i do a lot of short trips and mainly city driving so the base version suits me down. Also got scrappage.

If you are doing a reasonable commute every day, i would agree that the ionic would be a better fit especially if you compare against the upgraded leaf 40 spec. You get to enjoy those bells and whistles which i think ionic is better for. If you are doing short journeys alot then base version leaf will be grand in my opinion. Don't get me wrong i do plan on the occasional long drive and the 40kw version will get me there. But because i'm short drive centric i cant justify the extra few k for features i would rarely use. If i really want those features i would aim for model 3 if i could afford it.

another thing to consider is the leaf is still using Chademo, alot of other cars use CCS which most now considered the Europe standard going forward. Again i'm not bothered, charge at home and at work using type 2, also can use type 2 at the esb charge points. Esb charge point will still support Chademo for the foreseeable future. In any event 10 years later down the line i'm sure there will be an adapter in the event CCS wins out.
    I notice most public charge points in my area. Do they support CCS or CHAdeMO? I don’t really understand that bit
    Someone I work with has a 171 Ionic and hates it. The range is down to 180km after 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I notice most public charge points in my area. Do they support CCS or CHAdeMO? I don’t really understand that bit
    Someone I work with has a 171 Ionic and hates it. The range is down to 180km after 3 years

Can you tell us a bit about your requirements, think you'll get some better answers then? For example a baby that needs buggy etc. would rule out the Kona for me, too small, likewise a family with two kids if this is to be the primary car. If you want a plush interior the Kona is also out imho. eNiro is an option if you want something bigger, but they're rare enough new or secondhand and over €30k either way. If you need to do regular 200km journies can do not want to stop to charge that kinda rules out the older Ioniq, Leaf24/30/40.

FWIW we had two Leaf24s until recently and I really liked them, will be trying to pick up a Leaf62 Tekna ex-demo when things open back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

If they are public then most likely ESB, if so then most likely have type 2 which is universal. Some points will have the rapid charges which is CCS or Chademo which you now pay for (type 2 still free for now). The ESB app will confirm this anyways and show its availability https://www.esb.ie/ecars/charge-point-map . Now from my reading that app isn't always accurate people have said...... not yet electric so don't have experience on that.

for private charge points like some shopping centers and hotels may not show on on this and you will just have to find out the old fashioned way.

2017 ionic - remember thats probably the first version and people did flock to as the leaf design of the early models was crap (if you compare the leaf 2020 design vs the leaf 2011 you can see a bit of a difference). 2020 ionic is pretty solid and very good reviews, i think the biggest compliant i found is that is charges slower that the 2019 version.

when the garages open up again just get in their and drive them both and other cars too, drive whats in your price range. If you can afford it consider a tesla model 3 :)

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Can you tell us a bit about your requirements, think you'll get some better answers then? For example a baby that needs buggy etc. would rule out the Kona for me, too small, likewise a family with two kids if this is to be the primary car. If you want a plush interior the Kona is also out imho. eNiro is an option if you want something bigger, but they're rare enough new or secondhand and over €30k either way. If you need to do regular 200km journies can do not want to stop to charge that kinda rules out the older Ioniq, Leaf24/30/40.

FWIW we had two Leaf24s until recently and I really liked them, will be trying to pick up a Leaf62 Tekna ex-demo when things open back up.

No kids so that’s not an issue. Something with decent range and a nice bit of spec on it. The Ioniq and Kona just feel a little basic and plastic inside. That’s what was drawing me to the top spec Lesf

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

The Ioniq and Kona just feel a little basic and plastic inside. That’s what was drawing me to the top spec Lesf

Yep me too, the SVE/Tekna spec Leaf is pretty plush inside. I haven’t been in one of the new eNiro’s which have leather etc to compare, anybody?

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Yep me too, the SVE/Tekna spec Leaf is pretty plush inside. I haven’t been in one of the new eNiro’s which have leather etc to compare, anybody?

We have also got a 40kwh 2020 SVE "bought".
    Was supposed to pick it up on the 18th of march :rolleyes:
    I say bought but haven't transferred the money thankfully.
    Will be waiting for 201 reg now either way.
    Not that Im a reg snob (I drive a 08) but come trade in time it'll hurt the value.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-nissan-restructure-exclusive/exclusive-nissan-to-retrench-further-in-new-plan-to-focus-on-u-s-japan-china-idUSKBN22G0XD?il=0

Nissan supposedly pulling out of europe.
    If they do it's the death knell not only of any new leafs but also for the chademo standard as they are the only BEVs supporting it here (EU/EEA)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-nissan-restructure-exclusive/exclusive-nissan-to-retrench-further-in-new-plan-to-focus-on-u-s-japan-china-idUSKBN22G0XD?il=0

If they do it's the death knell not only of any new leafs but also for the chademo standard as they are the only BEVs supporting it here (EU/EEA)

Too soon to call the future of the human race, or the car yet, not to mind Nippon.

Folks 6' under don't need them and we have a long way to go before the death rate peaks at maybe 20 mill world wide

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Chademo will likely run down here, but it looks like Nissan will remain in Europe.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/nissan-says-it-will-stay-europe

I wouldn't be hopeful for Nissan Sunderland though due to the EU trade deal with Japan. It wouldn't be surprising if they either imported from Japan or shared manufacturing with Renault on the continent.

Paywall
    This article is reserved for subscribers.

You must be an Automotive News subscriber to read this article. To continue reading, please subscribe — a subscription to Automotive News includes unlimited access to both europe.autonews.com and autonews.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Paywall
    This article is reserved for subscribers.

You must be an Automotive News subscriber to read this article. To continue reading, please subscribe — a subscription to Automotive News includes unlimited access to both europe.autonews.com and autonews.com.

In the interest of not running foul of copyright, some excerpts:
    Nissan has pushed back against reports that it plans to reduce operations in Europe to focus on SUVs as part of a global turnaround plan.

Nissan will rely on its two best-selling SUVs, the Qashqai and Juke, to maintain a presence in Europe while selling its factory in Barcelona, Spain, according to sources.

In a statement to Automotive News Europe, Nissan said it "remains fully committed to strengthening our product lineup in Europe as part of our ongoing efforts to make the business more competitive."

Nissan Europe is expected to rely more heavily on models built in Japan in the future. It will import the new X-Trail to Europe from Japan this year after dropping plans to build the midsize SUV in Sunderland.

Advertisement