Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Moto X Play and Style be on sale in Ireland?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Got the moto X play for £199 on Black Friday. Haven't opened it yet, do you reckon I'll be better off returning it and getting an oneplus X? The camera on the Motorola is what sold me on it, but I read there isn't really much of a difference in picture quality.

It's up to you .

You have to be warned though these are 2 extremely different phones, with key features for the two clearly differenting.

Obviously the key advantage for the OnePlus x is better build and better performance (ram) and better display.

However, moto x play standout feature is the battery life.

But if you want decent battery life there is only one winner. This is taken from gsmarenas battery life tests.

OnePlus x battery test: http://m.gsmarena.com/one_plus_x-review-1337p3.php

Moto x play battery test:
    http://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x_play-review-1325p3.php

Note that the moto x play also has optional quick charge 2.0 but you have to buy the charger. Otherwise you get a slow charger in the box. OnePlus x takes over 2 hours to charge.

Id also say moto x play will get marshmallow late this year or early next year. OnePlus haven't got a timeframe yet for when the OnePlus x will be getting it.

Don't get me wrong, both phones are great phones for what they do, (although I wouldn't quiet be comparing 5.0 with 5.5 inch screens) but its important to know that whatever phone you pick to go with there will be tradeoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

thomasj wrote: »
    It's up to you .

You have to be warned though these are 2 extremely different phones, with key features for the two clearly differenting.

Obviously the key advantage for the OnePlus x is better build and better performance (ram) and better display.

However, moto x play standout feature is the battery life.

But if you want decent battery life there is only one winner. This is taken from gsmarenas battery life tests.

OnePlus x battery test: http://m.gsmarena.com/one_plus_x-review-1337p3.php

Moto x play battery test:
    http://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x_play-review-1325p3.php

Note that the moto x play also has optional quick charge 2.0 but you have to buy the charger. Otherwise you get a slow charger in the box. OnePlus x takes over 2 hours to charge.

Id also say moto x play will get marshmallow late this year or early next year. OnePlus haven't got a timeframe yet for when the OnePlus x will be getting it.

Don't get me wrong, both phones are great phones for what they do, (although I wouldn't quiet be comparing 5.0 with 5.5 inch screens) but its important to know that whatever phone you pick to go with there will be tradeoffs.

Cheers for the replies. I think I'll try get a OPX, Amazon are great with returns, and I think that with a cover on, the Motorola might be too bulky in my pocket. Hopefully I'll be able to get a code, the search continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i got a 32gb one of ebay for €300, ill switch after christmas just waiting on the marshmallow update.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I purchased the moto x style from amazon.fr just before Christmas, very happy with my purchase so far. The camera is pretty descent although according to a thread over on xda it isn't being used to its full potential. The motorola apps don't really add anything to the phone as far as i can see.

I purchased this over the x play as i hope to have it for over two years and thought the little bit extra if gives should see me out that far.

When i turned it on, it prompted me to install the MM update which went very smoothly.

I have purchased a supcase case on ebay which works well with it and a 32GB sd card as the OS takes up a good bit of the original 32GB of memory provided. Battery life is great for what i use it for, a massive improvement coming from a Nexus 4.

I really wanted a Nexus 6p but couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a phone but this phone works for me.

The fast charger provided is for european sockets so i haven't used it yet so i can't comment on the turbo charging capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

They have the 32gb white and black model on pixmania for 469

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

With Lenovo winding down the Motorola brand, I'd be inclined to give these phones a miss now.

Expansys have the Style White 32gb model at €445 and the Black 32gb model at €460

Orange have the Play Black and White 16gb models for €330

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Any time frame for Marshmallow yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Any time frame for Marshmallow yet?

It's been rolled out on the moto x style anyway, as soon as I turned on my phone out of the box it updated it MM. That was back in late December.

Nothing on the x play yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Think only the dual SIM version of X Play has had Marshmallow rolled out yet in EU area, judging by the posts on XDA.
    I presume that the model selling here, through Argos etc., is the single SIM XT1562.

Marshmallow update arrived on my X 2014 about a week before xmas. Meanwhile people in America with near identical models are left in the lurch. Don't know why they do it this way, it must be very frustrating for users to see a near identical model getting updated when theirs isn't. Certainly doesn't seem good from a perspective of retaining customers later on when they get to buy a newer phone.

• Advertisement

The marshmallow update was offered today on my x play single sim.

Installing it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

irishgeo wrote: »
    The marshmallow update was offered today on my x play single sim.

Installing it later.

Thanks, just updated mine. Sim free.

Phone got very hot during the update

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I no longer see 4g in the status bar since the update?

Edit reset worked, been a bit of a pain this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Hey guys

Sorry, I don't really have the time right now to flick through all the pages on this thread, can anyone advise...

can I order this from Ireland?
    Can I customise it when/if ordering it?
    how much will it cost?

thanks in advance!

Advertisement