Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Moto X Play and Style be on sale in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

Also worth waiting for her 2 nexus phone Launches nest week to make a comparison before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

Also worth waiting for her 2 nexus phone Launches nest week to make a comparison before buying
    Ya worth the wait just to see new nexus' price and specs.
    I have looked at a few video reviews and they have said that the phone can be somewhat lagging at times, has anyone else had these issues. I currently have a Moto G 1st gen from 2013 so I am looking for a bit of an upgrade atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

ieoin wrote: »
    Ya worth the wait just to see new nexus' price and specs.
    I have looked at a few video reviews and they have said that the phone can be somewhat lagging at times, has anyone else had these issues. I currently have a Moto G 1st gen from 2013 so I am looking for a bit of an upgrade atm.

Likewise except I've the 4G variant.

Now that the Nexus 5x and 6p are both massive let downs I'm at a loss as to what to get.

32GB Nexus 6 would work out around €400 with delivery to ROI and as big as my hands are that phone is a monster.

So I'm between the Nexus 6 and X Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Niemoj wrote: »
    Now that the Nexus 5x and 6p are both massive let downs I'm at a loss as to what to get.

32GB Nexus 6 would work out around €400 with delivery to ROI and as big as my hands are that phone is a monster.

Where are you seeing the 6 at that price?

• Advertisement

Where are you seeing the 6 at that price?

Amazon.com (including their Import/Irish VAT).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Amazon.com (including their Import/Irish VAT).

Be careful with the .com Amazon. You might be buying a US market phone which doesn't support the bands used in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Has anyone actually bought the Play from Argos yet? Giving it serious consideration, but suspicious of the specs on the product page, specifically:
    Memory information:

1600MB/8GB of internal memory.
    128 GB of expandable memory (memory card not included).
    Type of memory card required: microSD.
    Assuming this represents RAM/storage respectively, every other spec online says that this has 2GB memory and 16GB storage minimum - does anyone know if the product page is just wrong, and the online specs are reflective of what Argos are selling? Wouldn't be interested in the memory/storage specs the page claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

cython wrote: »
    Has anyone actually bought the Play from Argos yet? Giving it serious consideration, but suspicious of the specs on the product page, specifically:

Assuming this represents RAM/storage respectively, every other spec online says that this has 2GB memory and 16GB storage minimum - does anyone know if the product page is just wrong, and the online specs are reflective of what Argos are selling? Wouldn't be interested in the memory/storage specs the page claims.

Yep that's a mistake. The official specs say 16gb minimum so take that as gospel.

Bear in mind that one you get marshmallow (motorola says it will be soon enough) You'll be able integrate the SD card storage into the phone storage (providing the card is formatted)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

thomasj wrote: »
    Yep that's a mistake. The official specs say 16gb minimum so take that as gospel.
    Cheers, was thinking as much. Have an S3 at the moment which is 16GB, and I've an 8GB Micro SD in that, so the lower end Moto X Play comes in pretty close to what I'm used to storage wise
    thomasj wrote: »
    Bear in mind that one you get marshmallow (motorola says it will be soon enough) You'll be able integrate the SD card storage into the phone storage (providing the card is formatted)

I'd seen some mention of this before alright. Will be interesting to see how it pans out in any case, but my main concern was not taking a step back in storage from my old phone (while it was a flagship it's long since past it's best!), and that was the only potential source of concern.

Have ordered one in Argos in Blanch but won't be available until next week, so will mull it over for the weekend. Most likely going to change to a different 30 day plan in the process too as the old emobile F&F deal that came up on here a few years ago is being matched by several of them, and would include 4G too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

For me its between the Oneplus2 and X Play. On paper the OP2 has better spec but the X has better camera and bigger battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

For me its between the Oneplus2 and X Play. On paper the OP2 has better spec but the X has better camera and bigger battery.

I'm in the same boat. Have been very close to buying the X Style, but still undecided. Getting annoyed by waiting for the shoddy OP2 invite system to reach me though.

I've read a lot of camera comparisons between the OP2 and new Moto X that say while the Moto has come a long way, it's still lagging a little behind for day-to-day use of the camera. Here's one for example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm accelerating the process of getting one of these phones since my current phone has constant screen defect issues. I want the Style however I won't rule out the play since the battery life is a big turn on for me. What bothers me about the play is that I'm afraid I might end up going ' ah shoulda got the style!' 5.7" on the stlye sounds very cool but is it too big? Side by side its not too far off a Nexus bleeding 6 so I'd be worried about that.
    I seen Argos have the play and I'm very tempted to snag one. Its all fun and games I guess. 5.5" on the play is tolerable since I'm coming for a smart Ultra 6 so I know what to expect size wise.

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Have been very close to buying the X Style, but still undecided. Getting annoyed by waiting for the shoddy OP2 invite system to reach me though.

I've read a lot of camera comparisons between the OP2 and new Moto X that say while the Moto has come a long way, it's still lagging a little behind for day-to-day use of the camera. Here's one for example

So it looks like selecting the X based on a better camera would be a bad call?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Possibly! It still is a very good camera capable of great shots, but requires some tinkering. For a quick point and shoot camera, the OP2 seems to edge it.

Going to the US at the weekend, time to make my bloody mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

So no parcel motel from the UK Moto site then? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

On amazon uk

£359.99 or €487 black or white (whichever) 32gb. I guess this will work with parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

On amazon uk

£359.99 or €487 black or white (whichever) 32gb. I guess this will work with parcel motel

Amazon UK delivered my Play

• Registered Users Posts: 3 diarmuiddoyle

The are available on littlewoods.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

No joy I'm afraid. German Amazon currently can't sell this to Irish customers for some reason.
    Amazon.de wrote:
    Leider kann dieser Artikel nicht nach Irland versendet werden.
    Means "Unfortunately this item cannot be delivered to Ireland."

The French and Spanish Amazons will sell it to you, but it's dearer. €528 and €524 respectively.
    French VAT rate is 20% and Spain is 21%, so when you adjust for our 23% VAT (Amazon will adjust this at the checkout) that gives you €541.20 buying from France and €532.66 buying from Spain.

http://www.amazon.fr/Motorola-Style-Smartphone-d%C3%A9bloqu%C3%A9-Ecran/dp/B0148NYRH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444329533&sr=8-2&keywords=moto+x+style

http://www.amazon.es/Motorola-Moto-Style-Smartphone-memoria/dp/B0154YH8LA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444329578&sr=1-1&keywords=moto+x+style

I got my Moto X 2014 from France and found them very good to deal with.

Another possible option is Amazon UK, but they say they are currently out of stock of the black model. Both black and white are priced at £359.99 Sterling, which is €490.15 according to XE.com. Changing from 20% UK VAT to our 23% rate gives €502.40, but of course there would be currency exchange charges also to add on.

Went with the OP2 on the open sale they had Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Looks to me like they had that open sale so that they could shift some stock before they announced a new phone coming on October 29th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

Fagashlil wrote:
    Not really sure what else to say, I'm sure there'll be someone along with much better words of wisdom

Got my moto x style 2015, friend ordered for me from moto maker UK, the phone feels light, liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Here's gsmarenas review of the moto x play.
    Battery life part in particular looks promising

http://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x_play-review-1325.php

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

Had my OPO over a month now and already experiencing hiccups.

Can't turn off and on my phone without it freezing and forcing a factory reset, lock screen is extremely stutter-y at times, auto rotate sometimes freezes the whole phone for minutes and just little finicky details are starting to grind my gears.

I was using my old Moto G 2nd Gen. yesterday and enjoyed using it more than the OPO and this has made me consider selling my OPO and getting a Moto X Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Famoso wrote: »
    Had my OPO over a month now and already experiencing hiccups.

Can't turn off and on my phone without it freezing and forcing a factory reset, lock screen is extremely stutter-y at times, auto rotate sometimes freezes the whole phone for minutes and just little finicky details are starting to grind my gears.

I was using my old Moto G 2nd Gen. yesterday and enjoyed using it more than the OPO and this has made me consider selling my OPO and getting a Moto X Play.

Factory reset it. That doesnt sound like issues you should be having, i moved from a moto G to OPO and mine has been flawless bar me dropping it smashing the screen (repaired now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Was reading something interesting on XDA about the moto X play. It seems the single sim models are actually dual sim and flashing the dual sim firmware is all it takes to turn it into a dual sim model. There is a blanking plate on the sim tray for sim2 which simply clips out. Very cool and worth noting. All models sold here are of the single sim variant so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fredotf2

So where's the best place to buy the moto x play right now from Ireland?

Advertisement