Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Well its all gone very philosophical on this thread.

Back to talk of with held cleanings and gangerous mastitis, before we all lose the run of ourselves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dawggone wrote: »
    Totally disagree Dsw.

"He who stands with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in, will stand long time".
    Hours and work are the nature of the game...if they can't stand the heat...

In fairness this goes for everyone in their 20s, I've worked plenty of hours doing thankless boring tasks, and I've sacrificed plenty of holidays, nights out etc with my friends, but equally so I seen them put in the 12 hour days, missing theirown events, under serious stress etc. Its swings and roundabouts in that sense, farming tends to be more flexible in that you take yourown free time, but it requires you on call most the time.

But the one common theme with both groups is they got to be smart hours and work, this is a skill within itself, seeing a good opportunity, putting in the work and hours when needed to, and being able to walk away from other less appealing opportunities. In DSWs example, if the managers job clearly isn't going to lead into much other than a dead end salary only position for most that persons career then they should be looking at it as just a stepping stone, and doing a huge amount of low paid hours with the only opportunities out of it being the experience then I'd call that being a busy fool, however other shared farming opportunities you weight up the options. All in all if someone has afew career options in front of them, they should balance them all up, and pick what appears to be the most rewarding path, which calls for a balance between money, hours worked, building future wealth etc, if the off farm looks better than go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

We'll have to agree to disagree Dawg. I certainly wouldn't be encouraging my kids into this life of farming that u speak of. The world has so much more to offer

Agreed. I certainly will be actively discouraging mine to go farming.
    As you say there is a helluva better way to make a crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Me too.

That way I can be certain the contrary little b***d will be determined to take over and keep me in my old age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I'm not going to encourage or discourage them either way. I'm going to be sure that they're educated and well travelled and be armed to make their own decision.

I feel a little sorry for those of you trapped in a business you don't like or feel isn't rewarded. There's a simple solution so why not take it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

As you say there is a helluva better way to make a crust.

I really can't think of many

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

+1000

In what other business can you spray your employees playfully with a washdown hose morning and evening while regaling them with poorly remembered snatches of Milton sonnets, stopping every so often to pull on a teat?

Hell, in most places you'd be on a verbal warning for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

kowtow wrote: »
    +1000

In what other business can you spray your employees playfully with a washdown hose morning and evening while regaling them with poorly remembered snatches of Milton sonnets, stopping every so often to pull on a teat?

Hell, in most places you'd be on a verbal warning for that kind of thing.

... And get paid to do it ( well kind of)
    How the hell would anyone call what we do work.

I can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I can. :)
    I could too on a wet cold spring morning looking at sick calves and been up all night calving cows but on a nice summers day looking at cows lying off in a nice paddock of lush grass etc it'd be hard imagine been at anything better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

V interesting dairy article in the tuam herald, if a little pessimistic. Can't find a digital link to it online. Basically your man reckons he'll be milking for less than the minimum wage this year. Big eye opener for all these green horns entering with big investments. But paper never refuses I k, probably not as bad as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Did anyone see the land mobility page in this wks ifj?
    Serious amount of opportunities out there for young people who are willing to work.
    Be something like that of me doing if mam and dad never moved

whereabouts in journal is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

The bit you haven't got obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Just before the classifieds I think

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭visatorro

any market for autumn calvers? have a few dried off am thinking if I got decent money id let them away ta feck. hard to know what to do with winter milk any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Got preg test results from the last milk recording here, one of the cows down as pregnant came bulling at the weekend, getting a bit of this, just wondering is there some under lying issue ��

visatorro wrote: »
    any market for autumn calvers? have a few dried off am thinking if I got decent money id let them away ta feck. hard to know what to do with winter milk any more.

I got offered to pick 12 cows out of a 90 cow herd an hour ago. €1400/head calved on average 35 days and milking 40+litres.
    Panic starting to set in?
    The seller put in two robots in 2013...

C0N0R wrote: »
    Got preg test results from the last milk recording here, one of the cows down as pregnant came bulling at the weekend, getting a bit of this, just wondering is there some under lying issue ��

That's the issue with the milk pregnancy test.it only tells u if an animal is in calf,not how long or if something is up or a cow carrying twins .scanning the herd 35/40 days after breeding ends or strategic scanning of cows not seen in heat or that hard calvings etc during breeding season is a much better option

• Registered Users Posts: 29,202 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I prefer to get them scanned. Like to see the foetus and scanning man will also let me know if there is any problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

just ordered a load of dairy nuts , had planned to hold off for another month but the cows would melt in conditions like last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

mahoney_j wrote: »
    That's the issue with the milk pregnancy test.it only tells u if an animal is in calf,not how long or if something is up or a cow carrying twins .scanning the herd 35/40 days after breeding ends or strategic scanning of cows not seen in heat or that hard calvings etc during breeding season is a much better option

Well we were fairly sure from our own records she was incalf, what's an acceptable amount of embryonic losses?? Just seem to be having a few

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    I prefer to get them scanned. Like to see the foetus and scanning man will also let me know if there is any problem

I haven't seen a scan since we got back into milk. Vet uses a headset. Prefer getting vet during breeding season at least as it's a one visit job for problem breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Well we were fairly sure from our own records she was incalf, what's an acceptable amount of embryonic losses?? Just seem to be having a few

A certain % of cows cycle anyways when their incalf and carry full term see it here regularly

I haven't seen a scan since we got back into milk. Vet uses a headset. Prefer getting vet during breeding season at least as it's a one visit job for problem breeders.

Do you do a scan at all then?
    Never done here and dad says he's not going to bother either this yr. Only seen 1 bulling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I thank Stan mentioned a figure of 7% embryonic losses, id assume some may lose and come around again before end of breeding. Had 2 in the last 2 weeks served in april who came around bulling. Bull was with cows for seven weeks and not a peep out of em

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Just caught sky news. Some protest by UK dairy farmers. Milk being pulled off the supermarket shelves left right and centre. It will get them publicity anyway

Is anyone on here using the teagasc fertiliser calculater on the phone.
    I cannot get it to work at all. Uninstalled it numerous times and still can't get it fight. Can't select any info on it.

Is it my phone that the problem.
    Been onto teagasc and the lad that's in charge of it is on hols till 10th of august

Is anyone on here using the teagasc fertiliser calculater on the phone.
    I cannot get it to work at all. Uninstalled it numerous times and still can't get it fight. Can't select any info on it.

Is it my phone that the problem.
    Been onto teagasc and the lad that's in charge of it is on hols till 10th of august

Yep have it ,most useful app on phone re farm stuff.have 3% of n allowance left after what I bought last week and p all used.on I phone and never any issue .did u try delete app and download it again

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yep have it ,most useful app on phone re farm stuff.have 3% of n allowance left after what I bought last week and p all used.on I phone and never any issue .did u try delete app and download it again

Deleted it numerous times and re installed it.

Am I right in saying in a 50kg bag of 27 2.5 5 there is 13.7kgs of N and 1.25 kgs of P?

If so we have just used over half our N allowance and a bit of P left. Just enough to put out 10 10 20 on the reseed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement